Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Drone posted:

Was anyone else really put off by the fact that the saber Rey uses is the hand-me-down Anakin Skywalker lightsaber? The same one that Luke lost with his hand and that plummeted out of the ventilation chute on Cloud City and down into the Bespin atmosphere, being forever lost?

I'm betting she'll build her own before the trilogy is over. Hopefully in a color we haven't seen onscreen before, like silver or teal or yellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Finster Dexter posted:

General Hux intimates that Snoke has considered a clone army...

But this has been covered in EU pretty extensively. You don't remember Luuke?

Yeah; Luuke is why I'm concerned the new Story Group Canon might be doing something similar.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

jivjov posted:

Accurate.

God I hope the green saber pops up in the Sequel Trilogy

Here's how I want the Ep VIII trailer to end in a year:

Panning shot of Rey walking in a pitch black cave, blue Saber ignited, looking horrified. Luke echoey voiceover, "That was the light saber of Anakin Skywalker, Darth Vader, my Father". Camera rotates to look over Rey's shoulder as a red saber ignites, Luke in dark shadow holding it. Luke voiceover, much closer, "So was this." Light sabers swing, smash cut to black.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
So, I've bought the Core game of AoR, because frankly I'm a sucker for RPG's and Star Wars, and I picked up the Beginner Box because I have a few guys who love the idea, but are always daunted by RPG's, so pre-gen characters and a simple adventure holds lots of appeal. Why, at least in the UK, are the drat dice like gold dust?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Shockeh posted:

So, I've bought the Core game of AoR, because frankly I'm a sucker for RPG's and Star Wars, and I picked up the Beginner Box because I have a few guys who love the idea, but are always daunted by RPG's, so pre-gen characters and a simple adventure holds lots of appeal. Why, at least in the UK, are the drat dice like gold dust?

Buy the app or use the Google thing and save yourself a lot of money and trouble.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
You really only need 2 sets of dice and the beginner box comes with one set already.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Shockeh posted:

I'm in the US and I had a friend get really excited because they were for sale at the University Bookstore.

I think their value is a constant.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Savidudeosoo posted:

I'm in the US and I had a friend get really excited because they were for sale at the University Bookstore.

I think their value is a constant.

Yeah, when I got my AoR starter set, I had to order in my additional set of dice online from Germany, as no one seems to stock them locally (South Australia). Either way, looking forward to actually be able to use the drat things in the next couple of weeks, now that they've arrived..

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I'm having a bit of a problem figuring out how do I continue my plot: So far (One session), the PC are working for a small time but big ego and spendings Hutt Crime Lord on Nar Shaddaa. Chiefly, the party's Doctor is a former imperial scientist who defected. He know want to lay low and make a bit of money and connections by cooking drugs for said Hutt. The rest of the group is either indebted to the Hutt as he inavertedly sprang them out of jail or a bounty hunter chasing one of the Hutt's ace smuggler.
Anyway, the Hutt is really bad at his job, and embroiled in a turf war with a swoop bike gang gone really aggressive. Imperial forces are about to start patrolling the sector in an attempt to restore order.

I'm thinking of two possilities: either the Imps are secretely supplying the gang in order to escalate the war and then swoop down and secure the district under martial law, wrestling a chunk of Nar Shaddaa away from the Hutt Cartel without any open conflict, or the gang is backed by one of the crime lord's rival, eager to have him deemed unit by the cartel and replaced.

So, which one sound better ?

I also thought of the following elements: the Bounty Hunter's target is protected by another Hutt, more powerful. He enjoys à certain leeway. Furthermore, the recently arrived captain of the imperial navy will be competing for influence over the Hutt with the Hutt's own assistant, a shady but skilled force sensitive Twi'lek planted by the Hutt's family in order to protect his/their business. The assistant will act as the party's patron for anything of importance.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Iceclaw posted:

I'm having a bit of a problem figuring out how do I continue my plot: So far (One session), the PC are working for a small time but big ego and spendings Hutt Crime Lord on Nar Shaddaa. Chiefly, the party's Doctor is a former imperial scientist who defected. He know want to lay low and make a bit of money and connections by cooking drugs for said Hutt. The rest of the group is either indebted to the Hutt as he inavertedly sprang them out of jail or a bounty hunter chasing one of the Hutt's ace smuggler.
Anyway, the Hutt is really bad at his job, and embroiled in a turf war with a swoop bike gang gone really aggressive. Imperial forces are about to start patrolling the sector in an attempt to restore order.

I'm thinking of two possilities: either the Imps are secretely supplying the gang in order to escalate the war and then swoop down and secure the district under martial law, wrestling a chunk of Nar Shaddaa away from the Hutt Cartel without any open conflict, or the gang is backed by one of the crime lord's rival, eager to have him deemed unit by the cartel and replaced.

So, which one sound better ?

I also thought of the following elements: the Bounty Hunter's target is protected by another Hutt, more powerful. He enjoys à certain leeway. Furthermore, the recently arrived captain of the imperial navy will be competing for influence over the Hutt with the Hutt's own assistant, a shady but skilled force sensitive Twi'lek planted by the Hutt's family in order to protect his/their business. The assistant will act as the party's patron for anything of importance.

I like both, although I think the second one might potentially be better, if only for the bounty hunter. Since if the other Hutts try and oust the one your PCs are currently working with, I see it potentially going two ways:

1) The team helps their Hutt succeed, cementing relations with them and making the Hutt more likely to help/back them up in terms of fulfilling their own goals (such as setting up or providing muscle for the drug labs, as well as potentially taking out the bounty hunter's target)
Or
2) They can jump-ship and buddy up with the other, more powerful Hutt and help them take out their original Hutt patron with information they've obtained (possibly either just whatever info they have now, or perhaps they break into whatever filing/data storage system they have and taking the original Hutt's operations details/finance information etc.), getting on their new patron's good side at the same time. This might allow them to effectively have their hit on the bounty hunter's target sanctioned by the Hutt that now employs both, especially if they appear to be more useful (or convince the Hutt that they are) than the BH's target.

Then after that, who knows? Maybe bring the Imps in after that anyway, to try and stamp out the recent sporadic Huttese gang fights that have going on because of the above. (plus to expand their own powerbase on the planet, as you mentioned)

Just spitballing ideas though, since I'm not sure which direction you/your party wants to ultimately go with this, in terms of affiliations, etc.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

PantsOptional posted:

We never saw it go out of Cloud City, though. It dropped down, certainly, but never showed up again. Presumably it didn't fall down the same series of tubes that Luke did. After all, there was that one that suddenly opened up underneath him, which led directly to him falling onto the antenna.

Yeah we did. It's the thing that falls down into the clouds when Luke hits the antenna, pretty sure.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fuzz posted:

Yeah we did. It's the thing that falls down into the clouds when Luke hits the antenna, pretty sure.

That debris looked too big to be a saber and hand

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

That debris looked too big to be a saber and hand

It was Bigger Luke's hand.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There was a second Gungan on the grassy knoll.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
Anybody interested in a pure Force and Destiny campaign? I've got some ideas for a campaign hook but I'd like to hear what you guys would be interested in before committing to the set up. Roll20/Google Hangouts has worked pretty well in the past, so I want to go with that for sessions. I have a pretty set schedule so I can run games most weekends or the occasional weekday night in a pinch.I haven't GM'd much in the past so I'd probably go with bi-weekly games to give myself plenty of time to prep.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Jawdins posted:

Anybody interested in a pure Force and Destiny campaign? I've got some ideas for a campaign hook but I'd like to hear what you guys would be interested in before committing to the set up. Roll20/Google Hangouts has worked pretty well in the past, so I want to go with that for sessions. I have a pretty set schedule so I can run games most weekends or the occasional weekday night in a pinch.I haven't GM'd much in the past so I'd probably go with bi-weekly games to give myself plenty of time to prep.

I'd be down.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jawdins posted:

I'd love to play; but timing is a bit of a bitch for me.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Jawdins posted:

I'd be up for this, assuming schedules could line up. Been wanting to try the Jedi stuff.

Darcat
Sep 25, 2014

Jawdins posted:

I've been hankering for a space wizard game for a while now, and I suppose you know about how my schedule is

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
For those interested, I've posted a recruitment thread! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772601

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Rules Q: Minions fight in groups, and then it shows how they take wounds in groups, and gain skill ranks in groups. Are they meant to attack once, as a group, too, at the higher skill value? It doesn't actually say that anywhere.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yes, they always act as a group. 5 Stormtroopers acting as a group get one turn per round, so one attack. Otherwise it would get real crazy. As a group they have a better shot at hitting, and if they hit, even just one hit is a not insignificant amount of wound threshold. Let alone if all 5 got to attack.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

DemonMage posted:

Yes, they always act as a group. 5 Stormtroopers acting as a group get one turn per round, so one attack. Otherwise it would get real crazy. As a group they have a better shot at hitting, and if they hit, even just one hit is a not insignificant amount of wound threshold. Let alone if all 5 got to attack.

That's what I expected, thanks. It's a.. odd.. system. I like lots of things about the book, but there's a few things that just generally make me go 'huh?'

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You must unlearn what you have learned. :v:

And good luck Jawdins with your game. Star Wars scientology is an amusing concept.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Shockeh posted:

That's what I expected, thanks. It's a.. odd.. system. I like lots of things about the book, but there's a few things that just generally make me go 'huh?'

It's the cinematic thing again. A group of Stormtroopers acting together to lay down a lot of fire has a better shot of one of them landing a stray hit. They're not actually skilled, but shooting out so many shots anyone can get lucky.

It's actually not an uncommon style of system anyways. They're chaff, you should be able to mow through them. But being completely unchallenging means that you shouldn't even bother with the dice, so with this you get a good balance between in-universe portrayal and fun/tension. It's also why it says you don't always need to roll to clean up, if the fight is a foregone conclusion you can just call it over.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Oh, I didn't mean that; That's fine, it just didn't specify re: attacks, so felt the urge to check.

It was more a general statement; As you go through the book, some things are really, really nice (this is one of the nicest RPG systems I've seen in a while, I really like it) but some things are a bit odd, is all.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

DemonMage posted:

It's the cinematic thing again. A group of Stormtroopers acting together to lay down a lot of fire has a better shot of one of them landing a stray hit. They're not actually skilled, but shooting out so many shots anyone can get lucky.

This except for the "stormtroopers are bad shots and sometimes get lucky." FFG Star Wars stormtroopers will mess you up.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

homullus posted:

It was Bigger Luke's hand.

The "Bigger Luke" theory is favorite gonzo fan cannon.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

homullus posted:

This except for the "stormtroopers are bad shots and sometimes get lucky." FFG Star Wars stormtroopers will mess you up.

Hilariously its the same deal with TIE Fighter Squadrons.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Further rules query: How exactly can a PC / Nemesis die? It seems to be ludicrously unlikely with only multiple critical hits adding up to 151+. Is it just Vicious as a quality? There was a reference on one page of tracking 'double their wounds threshold' but then doesn't explain why you'd want to.

Happy to accept I may have skimmed over something!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Crits ramp up a lot when you have a group of PCs focusing their attacks at a bad guy, because every crit taken is a +10 modifier to the next roll. Since you only need a couple advantages to score one and any leftovers you can pass to the others as boost dice, the crit rolls get pretty high pretty fast. And when you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room, whip out the disruptor weapons.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Seems odd (outside of narratively, obv.) that mechanically, you actually can't one-shot someone with a lightsaber, despite that being their one defining quality as weapons in every film.

Like, Finn aside, everyone in the films who takes a hit from one just dies, or is at least maimed.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

How many of those are just mooks that would be represented with minion rules, though? Minions drop in a single crit.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Shockeh posted:

Seems odd (outside of narratively, obv.) that mechanically, you actually can't one-shot someone with a lightsaber, despite that being their one defining quality as weapons in every film.

Like, Finn aside, everyone in the films who takes a hit from one just dies, or is at least maimed.

Vader takes a hit in Empire, too, but i guess according to the prequels that was a robo upper arm. Plus his suit was heavily armored.

Lightsabers also crit on like 1-2 advantage, so basically every hit ends up being a crit of some sort, so that's how you play it. If you chop the bad guy's arm off, that's (usually) the end of the combat and then you can just kill them via narrative or whatever.

The Golden Rule of good RPGs like this one is that if it's better for the narrative, do it. Systems are a guide/framework, they're not hard rules.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Siivola posted:

How many of those are just mooks that would be represented with minion rules, though? Minions drop in a single crit.

That's kind of my point - Mooks, fine (although weirdly, not that many Mooks ever get lightsabered in the original trilogy, Finn impales a few) but mechanically, all of the big maims/deaths from lightsabers in all 7 films occur in one hit, which is something that can't happen in the rules as written. Han (lol), Luke's hand, Vader's hand, Obi-Wan, Dooku, etc.

Obviously narratively you can do it, fine, toss the rules whenever, but that's very difficult for a player to live with. They like narratively appropriate deaths of their enemies, but very few react well to it happening to PC's without significant rationale.

(What is it with lightsabers and hands?)

E: I'm not saying 'wow this is bad' or anything; Really, I just want to check I haven't missed any rules regarding injury - Like I say, on one page it mentions tracking double the wound threshold, but never actually states why. Personally, I think I'd prefer a 'smidge' more lethality in my game, even as a 'Heroic' game just to keep players nervous, but totally cool with YMMV.

EE: Page 229 of EoR says 'When wounds exceed a character's wound threshold, the player should track the number of wounds by which his character has exceeded the threshold, to a maximum of twice the wound threshold.' Which is where it feels like it should kill someone beyond that, or at least extrapolate why you don't track beyond that point, but doesn't actually state it.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 18, 2016

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Double wounds = death is a pretty common setup in these sorts of games. White Wolf games work the same way.

The narrative aspect is how you track wounds... they could be actual injuries your character takes, or they could just as easily be accrued armor damage or your character tiring out such that that final but that drops them is the only one that actually "hit" them. People don't take multiple blaster bolts in the movies, either. I always run it based on context... crits usually leave a mark, while some weapons may not until you're dead. A knife, on the other hand, might slash you up and give you a few puncture wounds, even without crits or dropping you.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Apr 18, 2016

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Found something that helps a little - If you roll multiple Advantage results, you spend them all at once for one Critical, each adding +10.
So a Lightsaber with at least 4 Advantage results can kill someone in one shot. Natural 100 on d100, +20 for Vicious 2, +30 for 4 advantage results (one to activate crit, three for +10 x3)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, so, just to confirm, are all vibro-weapons in the SWRPG 'lightsaber-proof' in terms of being melted and/or cut in half at first contact, like normal weapons are? (e.g. during vibroblade v lightsaber fights in KOTOR) Since if that is the case, I might have to arrange an encounter later on in my campaign, as one of my players (a Dashade merc/fighter typed guy; half heavy ranged weapons, other half melee) seems to be entertaining the idea of using his vibroknucklers against a lightsaber-wielding foe (literally punching the lightsaber away, to block/parry blows), although I'm uh, a touch uncertain as to how well that'd go for him, unless he's OK with potentially getting a robo-limb or two! :D

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Shockeh posted:

That's kind of my point - Mooks, fine (although weirdly, not that many Mooks ever get lightsabered in the original trilogy, Finn impales a few) but mechanically, all of the big maims/deaths from lightsabers in all 7 films occur in one hit, which is something that can't happen in the rules as written. Han (lol), Luke's hand, Vader's hand, Obi-Wan, Dooku, etc.

Obviously narratively you can do it, fine, toss the rules whenever, but that's very difficult for a player to live with. They like narratively appropriate deaths of their enemies, but very few react well to it happening to PC's without significant rationale.

(What is it with lightsabers and hands?)

E: I'm not saying 'wow this is bad' or anything; Really, I just want to check I haven't missed any rules regarding injury - Like I say, on one page it mentions tracking double the wound threshold, but never actually states why. Personally, I think I'd prefer a 'smidge' more lethality in my game, even as a 'Heroic' game just to keep players nervous, but totally cool with YMMV.

EE: Page 229 of EoR says 'When wounds exceed a character's wound threshold, the player should track the number of wounds by which his character has exceeded the threshold, to a maximum of twice the wound threshold.' Which is where it feels like it should kill someone beyond that, or at least extrapolate why you don't track beyond that point, but doesn't actually state it.

Lightsabers maim people pretty quickly. Remember ever advantage is a crit and every crit beyond the first in a single roll attack gives a +10 to the crit roll. Its pretty easy to roll 3 or 4 advantages with a lighsaber trained person, maybe even an extra if the weapon is superior. Thats a pretty easy +30-40 and vicious 2 meaning the first hit a 1d100+50 or high very often. Thats basically a 50/50 chance you're causing a critical injury (hacking limbs off, crippling them, blinding etc). That seems pretty dangerous to me v0v.

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, so, just to confirm, are all vibro-weapons in the SWRPG 'lightsaber-proof' in terms of being melted and/or cut in half at first contact, like normal weapons are? (e.g. during vibroblade v lightsaber fights in KOTOR) Since if that is the case, I might have to arrange an encounter later on in my campaign, as one of my players (a Dashade merc/fighter typed guy; half heavy ranged weapons, other half melee) seems to be entertaining the idea of using his vibroknucklers against a lightsaber-wielding foe (literally punching the lightsaber away, to block/parry blows), although I'm uh, a touch uncertain as to how well that'd go for him, unless he's OK with potentially getting a robo-limb or two! :D

By default they can be sundered like any weapon really and lightsabers have the sunder quality.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Apr 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Are you using the Force and Destiny book? What you're describing sounds like Refined Cortosis Gauntlets, which have rules for shorting out lightsabers.