Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

boo_radley posted:

It's about time! Voice is such a terrible app for what it does, and it's been that way for years.
You won't say this when they relaunch it with 80% of the features removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

And you just know that one of the features to go will be the option to replace your carrier voicemail with it. What I like is that every feature from the Voice app is in Hangouts except that one and you have to keep the Voice app installed to have the option to switch it.

As the thread title says, they're going to strip the Voice poo poo out of Hangouts, remove pet features here and there that not enough of us use but which those who do really like, redo the Voice app to look prettier but be hamstrung in peculiar ways (the SMS screen will be ugly/not support MMS/not do something obviously needed), and the site will be made Material and most of the configuration options will disappear.

I can hardly wait.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Tunga posted:

How could it possibly be worse than it is now?

:shepicide:

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
As long as I can continue to make calls via Hangouts I don't care, it's basically the only way I talk to my parents now that I live abroad.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
You don't need the voice app to point voicemail to google voice. All it does is dial your carrier call forward call in the background. You can do that yourself.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

You don't need the voice app to point voicemail to google voice. All it does is dial your carrier call forward call in the background. You can do that yourself.

Oh yeah, I guess that does populate now. For the longest time those fields would just time out when I went to that screen. What does it say in the Voicemail field if you set it up that way?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My phones stock ringtone/notification manager is unusable. It lists every audio file on the phone even though it says it's only looking at the ringtone folder. Is this a common problem? Is there an app that does this better?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

My phones stock ringtone/notification manager is unusable. It lists every audio file on the phone even though it says it's only looking at the ringtone folder. Is this a common problem? Is there an app that does this better?

That's worked properly since Lollipop in stock Android, what device are you using?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
A Blu Studio Energy 2 running 5.0, the only ways to install 5.1 are unofficial and I don't think anyone's working on anything newer than that for this. I thought there were ways to install 5.1 to it but that only applies to the original Blu Studio Energy?

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jan 12, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

A Blu Studio Energy 2 running 5.0, the only ways to install 5.1 are unofficial and I don't think anyone's working on anything newer than that for this. I thought there were ways to install 5.1 to it but that only applies to the original Blu Studio Energy?

To answer your original question this ugly app was written by someone at Google who has worked on the Android framework since the beginning just to fix the very problem you're having. It hasn't been touched in three years but it worked when it didn't in stock Android, hopefully it will work for you.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Edit: That didn't fix the problem, but the related Ringtone Setter app did the job.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jan 12, 2017

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Are the YouTube Red functionalities like watching in the background and saving it for offline not available in certain countries outside of the US?

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Busy Bee posted:

Are the YouTube Red functionalities like watching in the background and saving it for offline not available in certain countries outside of the US?

YouTube Help: YouTube Red available locations

Available locations
  • Australia
  • Korea
  • Mexico
  • New Zealand
  • The United States

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I am looking for an app or a service or something that will let me sync contacts with my wife and Google at the same time. Some intermediary, I guess? Is this a thing?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Deathlove posted:

I am looking for an app or a service or something that will let me sync contacts with my wife and Google at the same time. Some intermediary, I guess? Is this a thing?

Owncloud maybe

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
I asked about this a while back, but don't think any responses came: is there a decent simple way to get Moto-style custom phrases for the "OK Google" features built in to most newer phones?

I know there's a bit of flexibility with the default Google stuff, but the truly unique or personal options with Motorola phones has been the best implementation I've seen. Any news or suggestions?

Edit: if there's a better thread, shoot me there. No rooting, though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

It's not available in 99% of the world.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What are some of the good/popular reader apps these days? Been downloading a few book bundles off of Humble Bundle and feel like I should actually read them. I have them as PDF, epub, and mobi files. Have a tablet that I can use for reading but an app that works well on both phones and tablets would be nice.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Play Books. Use Calibre to convert the mobi to epub.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have a Kindle so I use that but before that I used Moon Reader.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I use the Kindle app and it's fine. Need to do the opposite and convert epub to mobi tho

E: moon reader is good yea

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I just started using Moon Reader. Is it recommended to upgrade to Pro, or are the ads not too annoying?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

I just started using Moon Reader. Is it recommended to upgrade to Pro, or are the ads not too annoying?

I upgraded to Pro, use your Opinion Rewards credits.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Thanks. Looking at Moon Reader's features now and it mention syncing reading positions across multiple devices, do I need Pro for that?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

C-Euro posted:

Thanks. Looking at Moon Reader's features now and it mention syncing reading positions across multiple devices, do I need Pro for that?

No, that's a standard feature and is controlled through a file it places in your Dropbox or Gdrive which you link to the app.

But buy the app anyway.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
If you want to read across multiple devices, just upload your epubs and pdfs to Play Books and use that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If you want to read across multiple devices, just upload your epubs and pdfs to Play Books and use that.

I have no idea how to do this :shobon: I farted around in the Play Books app looking for a way and didn't see any. Google Drive maybe?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Gonna guess that you have to upload them through the website

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Website works, or just try and open the epub/pdf file in your file manager and it'll ask what to open it with. Open it with Play Books and it'll upload it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Is there such a thing as an app that lets me control one phone's camera from another phone?

IE, I run app on phone A and B, phone A streams video to B and I can take photos or videos using controls on B, at the full quality A is capable of.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Am I blind or is there really no way to move an event between calendars in Google Calendar via the app?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

P sure you can't, it's dumb af

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Am I blind or is there really no way to move an event between calendars in Google Calendar via the app?

Yup, web interface only, thanks Google

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Yep, there has never been a way to move an event between calenders on Android.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

dumb google

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The thing that bothers me most about it is it shows what calendar it's in when you view the event details, implying you should be able to edit it with the rest of the details. Nope

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
What bothers me most is that 95% of the time, new events go into my default calendar, so I never check. Then 5% they'll go into another calendar that I have notifications turned off for, I don't notice, and then I don't get an alert that I was expecting.

Super edge case, but I also wish that if you edit the time of an entry from 11 to 12 (or vice versa), it would automatically toggle AM/PM. So many times I've tried to adjust a time one hour forward and accidentally set it 11 hours back.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

24 hour clock supremacy.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LastInLine posted:

24 hour clock supremacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Are there any general fitness apps that are worth their salt on the play store? Any recommendations for one in particular?