Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I have a Cosmic Down 20 and it's real nice. It's not the cutting edge of sleeping bag technology but coming from years of rectangular car camping bags and cheap synthetic mummies, the difference is insane. It packs down shockingly small compared to anything I owned before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Garmin inreach is on sale currently in Canada. Thinking of grabbing one.

The billing looked pretty good until I saw they tac on a $50 annual fee for the freedom plan.. which makes the break even point 6 months inactive. So leaving your plan inactive half the year is basically the same cost as a 12 month subscription...

My camping season is 5 months even in the frozen hellscape of Canada, so I'd save a grand total of 30 bux.
It seems like the freedom plan is a pretty lovely deal. Am I missing something? Feel like I'd be better off with the annual plan just for flexibility to use it over the winter, or with a SpotX*

Edit: Spot is just as bad. Lol. Guess ultimately it's a pretty low price for the security. Just wish the flex plans were even a little bit compelling.

Math You fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 14, 2021

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I ultimately chose the inreach mini.

To those who have one.. how durable do you find it? Tough enough to clip to a bag or do you stuff it in your socks and put it in a dry bag?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Math You posted:

To those who have one.. how durable do you find it? Tough enough to clip to a bag or do you stuff it in your socks and put it in a dry bag?

Mine just rides in a pocket either on my person or waist belt. I know plenty of people that use the clip to connect it to their shoulder strap. I don’t think you’ll have any issue unless you’re regularly throwing your bag over small cliffs.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Business of Ferrets posted:

If there is any chance at all you might want to try backpacking one day, the Kelty Cosmic Down is considered one of the best budget down bags. Mummy cut, though.

You can probably still get a better value from a synthetic bag which is all that poster really needs

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I bought a ZOLEO instead and can give it a strong recommend, excellent performance in my first few trips. The biggest concern about inreaxh for me is reported synchronization issues and lack of transparency whether messages were successfully sent.

Also messaging plans are much better for ZOLEO.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Any recommendations on sleeping bags for tall, overweight guys? I have a north face Wasatch 30 which is supposed to be a roomy cut but it feels tight to me.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

evilpicard posted:

Any recommendations on sleeping bags for tall, overweight guys? I have a north face Wasatch 30 which is supposed to be a roomy cut but it feels tight to me.

I don't have any specific recommendations, but rectangular sleeping bags are going to be significantly roomier by nature. "Rectangular with hood" is basically a box shaped mummy bag as it's got a little flap with a drawcord you can pull around your head

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Math You posted:

It's small and covered in rubber and the antenna is tiny enough that it won't break off, it seems pretty durable.
I have mine on a carabiner on my shoulder strap in case I fall down a hill and become immobile I still need to be able to reach it to call for help.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

evilpicard posted:

One of the Nemo spoon shaped bags (Disco/Forte) might work better. As an overweight, tall guy I like mine.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

You can probably still get a better value from a synthetic bag which is all that poster really needs

Yes, but if Cabelas carries these, with his gift card it is only a little out of pocket for a much better option. I mean, he would be fine with some wool blankets, but a decent down bag opens up opportunities and the cost difference is very small.

e: Not to mention the lifespan of a down bag can be multiples of an equivalent synthetic.

Business of Ferrets fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 15, 2021

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Also most mummy bags can zip open and use as a blanket. This has been my preferred method the last few years

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Oh weird I tried that but the footbox kept it from lying flat on me

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

unfortunately not all bags have that capability; i have one that does and one that doesn't. it is definitely something i'll look out for if i ever buy another bag since it really is nice to be able to do. the one that doesn't is a 'long' size so that may be related

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Math You posted:

I accidentally chucked my inreach explorer down a 15 foot cliff and it's working fine still.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah some bags are different obviously. Mine unzips most of the way, some bags have a more solidified foot box which makes that difficult.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

I accidentally chucked my inreach explorer down a 15 foot cliff and it's working fine still.

hopefully i never have to test this on my inreach mini but i don't really have any doubt it would also be fine. the syncing and message issues are real, however.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Math You posted:

The billing looked pretty good until I saw they tac on a $50 annual fee for the freedom plan.. which makes the break even point 6 months inactive. So leaving your plan inactive half the year is basically the same cost as a 12 month subscription...

My camping season is 5 months even in the frozen hellscape of Canada, so I'd save a grand total of 30 bux.
It seems like the freedom plan is a pretty lovely deal. Am I missing something? Feel like I'd be better off with the annual plan just for flexibility to use it over the winter, or with a SpotX*

Edit: Spot is just as bad. Lol. Guess ultimately it's a pretty low price for the security. Just wish the flex plans were even a little bit compelling.

You don't have to get the iridium subscription from Garmin, there are other companies that work out cheaper. I got a subscription from here https://www.protegear.com/products-data-plans/inreach-iridium-data-plans/

They have a few different plans.. Can't remember exactly which one I went for.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

evilpicard posted:

As a fellow sasquatch, I’m quite happy with quilts:

https://hammockgear.com/economy-burrow-custom/

I have this particular one and absolutely love it. You can customize everything from length, width, and fill, and I just wear a beanie if it’s cold out.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

REI Anniversary sale starts this weekend

https://catalogs.rei.com/2021-Anniversary-Sale/1/

pre:
Example Deal(s)

50% off All Nalgene water bottles
30% off All REI Co-op Brand Clothing for Women, Men & Kids
30% off All REI Co-Op Brand Outerwear Clothing for Women, Men & Kids
30% off All Cotopaxi clothing & gear
25% off select Arc'teryx Clothing for Women & Men
25% off All Osprey Fairview & Farpoint Luggage & Travel Packs
25% off All The North Face Base Camp duffels and Rolling Thunder luggage
25% off All Hydro Flask Bottles

Backpacks
25% off Osprey (Aura & Atmos) packs
25% off Gregory (Deva & Baltoro) packs

Tents & Footprints
30% off REI Co-op Grand Hut Tents
25% off NEMO tents

Sleeping Bags & Pads
25% off The North Face One sleeping bags
25% off Exped MegaSleep sleeping bags
25% off REI Co-op Magma 15 sleeping bags
30% off REI Co-op bed sleeping pads
25% off Exped MegaMat sleeping pads
25% off NEMO Tensor sleeping pads

Shoes
25% off All Salomon hiking footwear
20% off All Keen Footwear
25% off All Altra Lone Peak footwear

Misc
25% off All CamelBak hydration packs
25% off All Petzl lighting & climbing gear
25% off All Black Diamond trekking poles

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Of course I bought a new pair of Keen boots last week.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I really need to trail runners. I just went out this weekend and its obvious my shoes are on their last leg but they still grip great.

Aiming to look at Peregrines or Altra Lone Peaks. I'll see how they fit in person but it seems like Merrell really dropped the ball on their runners since my last pair.

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
Doesn't believe in the letter a
I tried on a pair of Altra Lone Peak 5s the other day, and loved the fit except for one odd thing: it felt like there was a lump on the outside edge, right near the ball beneath the pinky toe. Maybe it’s just a bit of pressure from a lug on the bottom, but it was weird and made me hesitant to buy them. Wondering if it was just me? I’m considering picking them up anyways during the sale and worst case scenario I can return them if the lump/whatever the hell it is proves to be a problem.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

Of course I bought a new pair of Keen boots last week.

They have a 14 day price adjustment if you fall into that period
https://www.rei.com/help?a=Price-Adjustments---id--WYF3uBXAR42F4MXl4D3lrg

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Yep, I bought the boots on Friday the 14th, so if the sale starts on the 21st that's only a week difference. Thanks!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm looking at getting Nemo Hornet 2p tent to cut weight from my existing Big Agnes tent, anyone have any experience with this tent? Seems pretty well received and I like my Nemo bag.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

FCKGW posted:

I'm looking at getting Nemo Hornet 2p tent to cut weight from my existing Big Agnes tent, anyone have any experience with this tent? Seems pretty well received and I like my Nemo bag.

I have the (discontinued) Nemo galaxi 2 and I absolutely love it, and it looks like a lot of what I like is in the Hornet

If I hadn’t switched to hammocks, I’d be strongly looking at the hornet to cut pack weight

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Thankfully I'll be backpacking for most of this weekend, so hopefully I'll avoid any impulse buys this time

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I set a reminder in my calendar to buy an ENO Doublenest and all the accoutrements.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

FCKGW posted:

Thanks for this! I bought some Salomon boots on April 30. It's just outside the 14 day window, but their online chat said they could give me a gift card for the difference instead.

Safety Dance posted:

I set a reminder in my calendar to buy an ENO Doublenest and all the accoutrements.

We've been bringing ours on day hikes recently in case my wife needs to hang out and rest her injured knee while I hike on. Yesterday we set it up for lunch, ended up falling asleep in the sun next to a creek. Hiked far fewer miles than intended, had an extremely chill afternoon, 10/10 would recommend.

(that's less about ENO in particular than hammocks in general--this is the only one I've had, so I have nothing to really compare it to)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

How does that work, do you just throw the hammock up next to the trail and chill? Do you find a spot a little ways off the trail?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

FCKGW posted:

I have one but I haven't used it yet. Got it from the REI used section in brand new condition for $120 a few months ago. Set it up in my backyard and it's nice, nothing sticks out as a blaring issue but I won't really know until Im in it while windy or raining.

It's like half the size and probably a third the weight of my passage 2 so that will be nice.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Safety Dance posted:

How does that work, do you just throw the hammock up next to the trail and chill? Do you find a spot a little ways off the trail?

This was a backpacking campsite a short way off the trail that we knew from a previous hike. But it's a relatively low traffic trail that follows a large creek the whole way, so there would have been places to hang out creekside otherwise, too.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I bought a tent on sale from REI and set it to in-store pickup since the app showed it was available. They canceled it a few hours later saying they don't have that tent in-store and when I went to buy it online it was sold out. :mad:

I'm hoping it comes back in-stock before the sale ends but if not I guess I can try and contact them to get it adjusted and see if they will help me out.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

FCKGW posted:

I bought a tent on sale from REI and set it to in-store pickup since the app showed it was available. They canceled it a few hours later saying they don't have that tent in-store and when I went to buy it online it was sold out. :mad:

I'm hoping it comes back in-stock before the sale ends but if not I guess I can try and contact them to get it adjusted and see if they will help me out.

I went through this around the holidays trying to buy my sister a Fjallraven bag - set to pick up in store, order goes through, email a few hours later that the bag was no longer available. Rinse and repeat at least three times. I wound up going to the actual Fjallraven store to get it, but I did get a handful of I think 15% off coupons out of it for my trouble at least.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I just spent the night in an Instant Cabin in an open field with a 12-mph breeze. It reminded me of those earthquake simulation buses that would visit during elementary school. I’d like to maybe get a tent that does better in wind.

My challenge is that I’m mostly camping as a solo adult with a pair of kindergartners, so I need something that is sized for 4 and easy for a newbie solo camper to set up while keeping an eye on kids. Aside from being loud and shaky in the wind, the Instant Cabin was perfect. Can anyone point me toward anything that might be a little better in the wind?

Edit: also, I’m looking for a wind screen for my camp stove. Everything is $10 and reviews call them flimsy. Can I spend a few bucks and get something more stable?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Steely Dad posted:

I just spent the night in an Instant Cabin in an open field with a 12-mph breeze. It reminded me of those earthquake simulation buses that would visit during elementary school. I’d like to maybe get a tent that does better in wind.

My challenge is that I’m mostly camping as a solo adult with a pair of kindergartners, so I need something that is sized for 4 and easy for a newbie solo camper to set up while keeping an eye on kids. Aside from being loud and shaky in the wind, the Instant Cabin was perfect. Can anyone point me toward anything that might be a little better in the wind?

Edit: also, I’m looking for a wind screen for my camp stove. Everything is $10 and reviews call them flimsy. Can I spend a few bucks and get something more stable?

If you (or a home-owning friend) have some aluminum flashing lying around, cut a length of that and fold it up. Makes a great windscreen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We got a cheap metal sheet thingy from Amazon, if you search for docooler wind screen it's similar to that but we only paid $10. Amazon is probably stuffed with dozens of versions of it.

Works well enough, packs down small and I'm not afraid to abuse it. Yeah it's flimsy but that's kind of the point if you ask me.

Only issue is if you have a really tall stove+fuel can, you'll have to elevate it somehow.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Math You posted:

I know this is from a few pages ago, but just get the annual plan. Even if you only hike for 3-4 months out of the year, you have the inReach available for emergency communications for a disaster. It's just a good device to have in general.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Steely Dad posted:

I’m a broken record on this suggestion but I just spent 2 nights in my REI Kingdom 4 in south central Oregon where we didn’t have to deal with that kind of sustained wind (or if we did I didn’t notice), but there were some substantial gusts that didn’t phase it and I didn’t even guy it out that well. It’s not as easy of a setup as a pop up tent but it took me about 15 minutes to put it up the first time by myself. Setup is pretty straightforward and the internal space is well thought out. It would take a while before you and a pair of 5 year olds outgrow it as well.

I don’t have a pic of the tent set up, but here’s last night’s sunset with fog coming off the wet part of Summer Lake.