Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gearhead posted:

The other possibility is that one of the reasons Zenos IS so jaded is because this was something done to him previously and nothing is a challenge for him anymore.

Zenos was already drawing power from his blades when you first fight him, which is before Fordala gets her own Resonant powers. By all rights, none of the mystical abilities he demonstrates during that fight make any sense for a Garlean to be using, and they do not have the distinctive Ceruleum design language demonstrated by Regula and Gaius.

Zenos is different from the very start.

It's quite possible that he did not actually try pushing himself until the Warrior of Light started actually upping their game.
I figured he'd just found magic swords. Like those are around and can presumably be made even without magitek: Tizona appears to be magical in and of itself. Zenos, due to his massive advantage as the crown prince of Garlemald, could collect the loving things, while even Raubahn - himself influential and immensely wealthy - had exactly one, which was considered a momentous occasion when he gave it to his adopted son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiceAaron
Oct 19, 2003

Devote your hearts to the cause~

I was under the impression that Zenos' sword golf bag was a magitek device that allowed him to replicate the techniques that samurai usually accomplish with aether. (e.g. charging up the sword with aether while it's sheathed, then unsheathing it to unleash a fancy iai attack)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Zenos can't have 'always' had the Resonance, because Krile was a crucial part of the process, they need someone with the Echo to do it (remember this comes back in Bozja). And if they'd already figured out the Resonance process beforehand and were confident enough to use it on the emperor's son, then why would they go through the trouble to kidnap an Echo-user to 'test' it on Fordola? Just for fun?

Scientist Man whose name I never remember was already a biotech guy, he's responsible for the Hypertuned supersoldiers. He wasn't there only for the Resonance project

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Personally I didn't mind losing to Zenos and Ran'jit. The way they did the fights weren't great though since they tend to last too long. Zenos' initial fight in Rhalgr's Reach was the best of the bunch.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I will say that it's only Ran'jit's first encounter that feels bad. The second time you fight him it's a case of "We don't have time for this, we have to move", the third time Thancred fights him to a standstill and the fourth time we win. It's only that first fight that has a lovely forced loss.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Argas posted:

Personally I didn't mind losing to Zenos and Ran'jit. The way they did the fights weren't great though since they tend to last too long. Zenos' initial fight in Rhalgr's Reach was the best of the bunch.

This is how I feel about almost every RP battle, especially the role quest ones. I didn't remember Thancred v Ran'jit being that terrible when I did it but man oh man when I watched a streamer play through the game that poo poo really does drag on about a century longer than it should.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cleretic posted:

Zenos can't have 'always' had the Resonance, because Krile was a crucial part of the process, they need someone with the Echo to do it (remember this comes back in Bozja). And if they'd already figured out the Resonance process beforehand and were confident enough to use it on the emperor's son, then why would they go through the trouble to kidnap an Echo-user to 'test' it on Fordola? Just for fun?

Scientist Man whose name I never remember was already a biotech guy, he's responsible for the Hypertuned supersoldiers. He wasn't there only for the Resonance project
It's more between "did Zenos get the Resonant treatment at some point in the past/before he shows up for the first time" vs. "did Zenos get the Resonant treatment after Fordola did." I don't remember the exact dialogue of the scenes but the story seems to point towards #2, and #1 doesn't seem like it adds anything and in fact somewhat detracts from other things.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I think Zenos was on some kind of supersoldier enhancement stuff even before he gained Resonance. He just thought the Echo was neat and wanted to add it to his list.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Groggy nard posted:

I think Zenos was on some kind of supersoldier enhancement stuff even before he gained Resonance. He just thought the Echo was neat and wanted to add it to his list.
He was definitely on the juice big time, but I don't think he would have survived getting killed - hell, he didn't seem to believe he'd survive getting killed or he wouldn't have bothered to try to cut his own head off.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
yeah coming back via corpse possession echo/ascian style is said to have been a surprise to him

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Groggy nard posted:

He probably was on the supersoldier juice, but the best we can say on that is 'probably', there's no actual concrete evidence for it to my knowledge aside from 'well he's super jacked, and they are producing super jacked supersoldiers here'.

Even that, though, doesn't really inform his strength in the first two encounters. Remember that we only learn about the Hypertuned in Castrum Abania. So we don't have the option of 'maybe he's a supersoldier' to answer questions before then.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Honestly I always figured his testing it was as much "let's buff Fordola in case the WoL doesn't work out so I can have a new Fightbuddy, right down to giving her excellent reasons to turn against me" as any sort of test case?

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Gearhead posted:

The other possibility is that one of the reasons Zenos IS so jaded is because this was something done to him previously and nothing is a challenge for him anymore.

Zenos was already drawing power from his blades when you first fight him, which is before Fordala gets her own Resonant powers. By all rights, none of the mystical abilities he demonstrates during that fight make any sense for a Garlean to be using, and they do not have the distinctive Ceruleum design language demonstrated by Regula and Gaius.

Zenos is different from the very start.

It's quite possible that he did not actually try pushing himself until the Warrior of Light started actually upping their game.

Zenos was taught swordsmanship by a foreign swordsman and had a crystal embedded in his hand to make up for the fact he couldn't use the swordsman's techniques due to being Garlean; It's in a short story outside of the game. The story ends with him killing his teacher and being depressed it was so easy.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Zenos couldn't have gotten the Resonance treatment until after Fordola because the tech literally didn't exist until they kidnapped Krile and hit CTRL-C/CTRL-V on her Echo in order to finish programming the Echo Giver 3000

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Cleretic posted:

He probably was on the supersoldier juice, but the best we can say on that is 'probably', there's no actual concrete evidence for it to my knowledge aside from 'well he's super jacked, and they are producing super jacked supersoldiers here'.

Even that, though, doesn't really inform his strength in the first two encounters. Remember that we only learn about the Hypertuned in Castrum Abania. So we don't have the option of 'maybe he's a supersoldier' to answer questions before then.

His strength in the first two encounters is that he is level 70.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
From what I recall, when Fordola is given the resonance it's not phrased as it being untested, but that they know it works it's just dangerous and might kill her, it's not a big stretch to say that Zenos got his resonance from a different echo user, particularly as he doesn't seem to have Krile's powers like Fordola does.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

An Echo user named Jenova...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea the process wasn't brand new and untested when we found out about it, it was fairly far along in development, just absolutely insanely dangerous and potentially lethal. Zenos likely got his treatment from someone else since he doesn't seem to have any connection to Krile.

Watch it be our echo somehow, like some weird 'we took your blood you spilled in one of the many Garlean dungeons you did and were able to use that as a base' and that's why he's so Death Horny for us.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

sexpig by night posted:

yea the process wasn't brand new and untested when we found out about it, it was fairly far along in development, just absolutely insanely dangerous and potentially lethal. Zenos likely got his treatment from someone else since he doesn't seem to have any connection to Krile.

Watch it be our echo somehow, like some weird 'we took your blood you spilled in one of the many Garlean dungeons you did and were able to use that as a base' and that's why he's so Death Horny for us.

The Warrior of Light left their DNA all over the star.

Not like that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The Warrior of Light left their DNA all over the star.

Not like that.

now I just want that to be the reveal

'it was actually harder finding places in this world you didn't leave your genetic material to harvest for our project'

'not like that you rear end in a top hat come on this is my big dramatic evil scientist speech'

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

"You have spirit bonded with literally countless pieces of arms and armor, and then you just sell it. Hell, we even started collecting your old fishing poles."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

now I just want that to be the reveal

'it was actually harder finding places in this world you didn't leave your genetic material to harvest for our project'

'not like that you rear end in a top hat come on this is my big dramatic evil scientist speech'

There's a dialog choice between those and it's
* Smirk at Y'shtola
* Smirk at Estinien
* Smirk at Thancred
* Smirk at Gra'ha
* "I've always been extremely careful actually"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
'for every time you ignored the popup warning you to extract your materia before selling a 100% bond item I gain 1% Damage Up on you'

'well just loving uninstall this game now because I can't progress past a guy with 2000% damage.'

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

There's a dialog choice between those and it's
* Smirk at Y'shtola
* Smirk at Estinien
* Smirk at Thancred
* Smirk at Gra'ha
* "I've always been extremely careful actually"

No one is ever going to smirk at Urianger

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

multijoe posted:

A lot of people would. I've seen the fan art.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

multijoe posted:

i smirk at him all the time

actually its just a big smile because he's my favorite

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

multijoe posted:

Look I fully agree in that list he's at the bottom, but he's still on the list man

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

There's a lot of ladies online that want to dom the Yugioh nerd.

More than I've seen of Thancred.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Mr Yugioh fits very neatly in the venn diagram of 'completely insufferable nerd' and 'genuinely sincere and not just doing his nerdy poo poo as an affectation' to be cute

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

he definitely practiced that staircase entrance tho

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Urianger's problem is that he'd just found his place as the Scions' resident endearingly dorky nerd, and then a much more archetypal endearingly dorky nerd joined the team.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Urianger's problem is that he'd just found his place as the Scions' resident endearingly dorky nerd, and then a much more archetypal endearingly dorky nerd joined the team.

yeah but urianger is taller

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

urianger is the kind of nerd who works out by reading a book on a stationary bike and gets fit as hell through sheer distracted kinetic energy

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cleretic posted:

Yeah but Urianger's never carried a printer around before, and won't ever. Point Urianger.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Cleretic posted:

Yeah but I think they're angling towards Graha being more of a fanboy nerd, whereas Urianger is still the Book Nerd.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Yeah but Urianger's never carried a printer around before, and won't ever. Point Urianger.

I've never looked at it that way, but i guess the Crystal Tower is sort of a printer, yes

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The catboy wife is better by far.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Fordola needs to join the A team so there's someone I find attractive there though. :ohdear:

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Urianger is a way better nerd than G’raha, it’s not even close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The catboy wife is better by far.

No that's a catboy son. You are his mom who he looks up too. Urianger and Estinien are the two weirdos at least on equal footing with you. I guess Thancred and Y'sh as well but one of those is too Sad Dad to gently caress and the other is a 3 Walls of Sarcasm to avoid emotional connections.

There's no really good lady options in the scions if you want someone with the emotional vulnerability the dudes give you. Lotta really open emotionally sound dudes in the scions.