Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

They already have that logic in place (kinda) for sniper glint obscuring from cover/foliage so most of that work is already in theory done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Warbird posted:

They already have that logic in place (kinda) for sniper glint obscuring from cover/foliage so most of that work is already in theory done.

It's already worked since before EA release, it's just never been implemented because it tanks performance. I think that the current glint implementation is possible because it has such a narrow cone

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That was the icon culling iirc and you're likely correct on it being doable due to the scale involved. I wonder if they limited they limited spot sharing to squads like pings if the LOS calculations would be limited enough to be viable.

They need to figure something out there as we've had semi useless drones (bombing aside) and completely pointless advanced binocs and squad leader classes for a while now. Move the new spotting stuff to them and call it a day I say.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Okii actually just put a poll up on discord aaking if pings shouldn't show through solid walls so maybe he did find a way to cull them and is just insane.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh he's quite insane but I'm here for it. Game's still in EA after all so let's get stoopid.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Warbird posted:

Oh he's quite insane but I'm here for it. Game's still in EA after all so let's get stoopid.

He's polling a couple things re:spotting so it's obviously the focus rn. I like 3d spotting but don't like x-ray specs and it sounds like thats the mainline opinion lookin at the votes

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Normal classes spots should be stationary but point roughly in the guys direction, recon spots should follow like they do now for like four seconds. Squad leaders class should be put back in the game and spot one guy for an entire 60 seconds because that would be funny.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

comedyblissoption posted:

3d ping is bad in every game it's ever been in it's insane devs ever add it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itTNqBUL9Ao

I know players are oblivious but the levels of obliviousness I've seen with the pings in place is very funny. Seeing teammates killed by guys they knew were coming far more often than it should be happening.

I don't like them either I liked the old ping system because you had a sense of where someone might be but you didn't know exactly when they were coming around the corner. Also clutters the screen up something fierce.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 12, 2023

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
so my favorite unity game ever is a game called Intruder.

its a small scale tacticool shooter that involves one team breaking into an obj to steal a briefcase or hack pc terminals to win

the devs care more about fun than balancing but the game is incredibly good and is it own niche thing

there's tons of gadgets in it from cardboard cutout decoys to banana peels you can slip and ragdoll on. also local crossteam voip and walkie talkies play a huge part in stealth/communications

so anyway the reason i bring this up is the way they handle spotting lol. there are cameras that let you take a snapshot of what you're seeing and send it to your team

there's a handheld camera where ppl use to send visuals of what theyre seeing because if they talk the enemy will hear them. its a great way to communicate for that.

but they have these goofy air balloon drones that can fly around the map like in bbit. they can also snap pics and send it to teammates just like the camera. also lol to tell if its an enemy drone or not it has a smiley face or a >: D face on it

now of course people will use it to troll smetimes and zoom in on a deadguy's butt and take a pic or whatever which would be a nightmare in 127v127 but they could absolutely adopt these mechanics in some way that makes recon/info gathering fun and enagaging without relying on 3d pings.

i used to play siege a ton. spotting with drones is a huge part of that game. its funny they think shotguns are a balancing nightmare but dont see how this poo poo is a whole new level. just look what players did with mavs in bf3 before getting nerfed

id love to see more stuff you can do as recon without just trying to have the longest headshots. every class should have some sort of support/utilility function to them that keeps things interesting. medics heal, support builds and supplies, enginers repair - why not buff the riot shield a bit and let snipers do something useful if their aim is bad or they actually enjoy running around behind enemy lines

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Make it so people that are on insane rapid killstreaks get auto-pinged when close by them by :colbert:

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I AM THE MOON posted:

you know the guy on the top of the lifetime kills leaderboard with like 400,000 kills in battlebit? its his people, and they make up like half the top 20 kills board. Pioneered the 0 weight MP7 medic ultra aggro style, regularly sit on top of the scoreboard on the biggest community servers by massive margins, etc.

i appreciate that theyre better than me at the game but also: oof ouch owie

Yeah I've been up against that cateat stack more than a few times, it's rough. Robo is a monster.

That said I still enjoy the gently caress out of the game. I'm not the best at it by any means but if I actually focus and play like not an idiot I can do a 2 or 2.5 to 1 k/d. Unfortunately I also like to throw myself out of helicopters onto people to c4 them, or run into a super crowded building throwing as much c4 as i can before I die. Or just chase people with a hammer, yelling at them the whole time. Being stupid and just playing how I want to is the big appeal of the game to me, nothing is super serious and 127v is enough that one person isn't going to swing the game too hard if they're suicide bombing or hammering.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's not - a lot of shooters you have to empty a clip into someone to put them them down. Three body shots from my AK puts somebody down. It'd suck immensely if they increased TTK.

To me, something with low TTK is Arma, Squad or Hell Let Loose where most deaths are from one hit kills. I suppose maybe BattleBit is on the lower end of the spectrum where games like Halo, Battlefield or Call of Duty are high TTK?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Ok so I just started obsessively playing this game and unlocked the mk14. I tried it out and got it modded for maximum horizontal recoil reduction and threw on a 3.5x scope with a red dot on top and find myself in a one storey town fighting for a cap point against hordes of defenders peaking out and popping heads all around me as my team gets mauled and pushed back and I fend off my one corner as they repeatedly smash my building to pieces and push past me while I shoot them in the back or in the face when they come to dig me out. We did take that point a few times, but I think we ultimately lost.

I had such a blast going back and forth from shooting guys assaulting the point, cleaning out their snipers when I spotted them, then red dot full auto on guys that closed to under 50. I had a single life where I needed to refill twice off an ammo box and got resupplied by a squad mate. No idea how many I got in that one life, but end of the match was 78 and 12.

I finally looked up stuff online and found that everyone hates DMRs and the mk14 in particular so lol I'll try out other stuff, but full auto sniping is pretty fun.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Mauser posted:

one hates DMRs and the mk14 in particular so lol I'll try out other stuff, but full auto sniping is pretty fun.

really? I've only seen specific hate for the M110. MK14 is really fun tho

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Recent patch buffed DMRs in a big way and I am having fun with them too. A lot of game info on Reddit or Youtube goes out of date rapidly.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

People hate DMRs because they don't have the current disadvantages of bolt actions but also can't do one hit kill headshots. It's been a contributing factor to the official Discord's ongoing bolt baby meltdown.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

I AM THE MOON posted:

really? I've only seen specific hate for the M110.

Huh? That's the best one, though.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Ralith posted:

Huh? That's the best one, though.

thats why they bitch about it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gucci Loafers posted:

To me, something with low TTK is Arma, Squad or Hell Let Loose where most deaths are from one hit kills. I suppose maybe BattleBit is on the lower end of the spectrum where games like Halo, Battlefield or Call of Duty are high TTK?

In popular games like Call of Duty or Apex Legends you pretty much have two health bars due to armor that's also easy to recover.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

BF3 had very similar if not faster average TTK with a lot of guns sitting at 25 damage, toned down nearly universally in BF4 just by taking all the 25s and making them 24s

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Mauser posted:

Ok so I just started obsessively playing this game and unlocked the mk14. I tried it out and got it modded for maximum horizontal recoil reduction and threw on a 3.5x scope with a red dot on top and find myself in a one storey town fighting for a cap point against hordes of defenders peaking out and popping heads all around me as my team gets mauled and pushed back and I fend off my one corner as they repeatedly smash my building to pieces and push past me while I shoot them in the back or in the face when they come to dig me out. We did take that point a few times, but I think we ultimately lost.

I had such a blast going back and forth from shooting guys assaulting the point, cleaning out their snipers when I spotted them, then red dot full auto on guys that closed to under 50. I had a single life where I needed to refill twice off an ammo box and got resupplied by a squad mate. No idea how many I got in that one life, but end of the match was 78 and 12.

I finally looked up stuff online and found that everyone hates DMRs and the mk14 in particular so lol I'll try out other stuff, but full auto sniping is pretty fun.

based dmr enjoyer

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
a certain type of game user will just listen to their favorite streamtuber and regurgitate their opinions on "the meta". have they even tried the mk 14? probably not

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
The only marksman rifle that feels kinda meh is the MK20, and that just because its in a weird middle ground between the m110 and the m14.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Dyz posted:

The only marksman rifle that feels kinda meh is the MK20, and that just because its in a weird middle ground between the m110 and the m14.

the head+body 2hko off it is brutal. not quite as fast as the SVD but it can really reach out and ruin someone's day where the SVD is better closer

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I just pretend the SVD is a cooler M1 Garand and run it with iron sights and a grip to make the recoil less.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Speaking of, game could use a mosin. iron sights only and a bayonet.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
im still surprised this game doesn't have bayonets, but that's probably why the hammer exists

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

i am confident that the dev is such a gun nerd that if he did make a mosin it would have a slightly turnt firing pin

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I really think they should add more different types of mines to the game.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Psycho Society posted:

a certain type of game user will just listen to their favorite streamtuber and regurgitate their opinions on "the meta". have they even tried the mk 14? probably not

The real meta is the MP7

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
This new sound system where friendly shots and footsteps have lower volume than that of your enemies is just awful

Yeah, you can pick out enemies a lot easier in a chaotic fight now, but I feel like it completely ruins the audio in every other situation

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Bohemian Nights posted:

This new sound system where friendly shots and footsteps have lower volume than that of your enemies is just awful

Yeah, you can pick out enemies a lot easier in a chaotic fight now, but I feel like it completely ruins the audio in every other situation

The overall player count didn't increase after the free weekend they did so the lead dev is losing his mind atm.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
In the middle of an objective, surrounded by a dozen teammates blasting in every direction, though it sounds like my dude is wearing noise cancelling headphones- until I suddenly hear the (boosted??) audio cue of some dude jogging across the street to get a flank he probably deserves, but since the sounds of just his footsteps are twice as loud as the dude emptying his magazine right next to my ear, I can just post up and mow him down before he has any kind of chance to accomplish anything

When completely outnumbered, that dude should by all rights have the ongoing chaos and activity to his advantage, but that's completely impossible in the current state of the game. Even coming out on top in that situation feels awful lol

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
no more wall hack for 3d ping though, which is nice

Warbird
May 23, 2012

It's EA people, they'll get it dialed in. Give it some time.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Bohemian Nights posted:

In the middle of an objective, surrounded by a dozen teammates blasting in every direction, though it sounds like my dude is wearing noise cancelling headphones- until I suddenly hear the (boosted??) audio cue of some dude jogging across the street to get a flank he probably deserves, but since the sounds of just his footsteps are twice as loud as the dude emptying his magazine right next to my ear, I can just post up and mow him down before he has any kind of chance to accomplish anything

When completely outnumbered, that dude should by all rights have the ongoing chaos and activity to his advantage, but that's completely impossible in the current state of the game. Even coming out on top in that situation feels awful lol

Yeah, maps like Tensa Town are just miserable at the moment because any given hedgerow has around a 50% chance of having someone prone with an SMG who will prefire you the moment before you start turning the corner. , though, so fingers crossed on that one. The super loud footsteps are apparently going to be removed in an upcoming patch and there has been an audio engineer sending oki incredibly good advice and examples of audio balance over their discord so fingers crossed.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

It also bears mentioning that most of this is Oki hand rolling his own stuff. iirc their server backend is completely custom which is kind of insane in this day and age, same for the audio stuff. You don't see many 'full stack' devs in gaming for something of this scale for a reason. What's important is that he's taking feedback and implementing changes.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Does the game have shotguns yet

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Hot Diggity! posted:

Does the game have shotguns yet
Search your feelings; you know the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Add a battle royal mode.