Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Kurieg posted:

Remember to tip your server!

New thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

I just got the joke like 10 hours later :negative:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Dillbag posted:

Stolen from the 'pos

I shared this in the office and was told that SUN was bragging that it only suffered 1 hard drive failure.
It was mentioned in a blog somewhere but I was unable to find it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Malek posted:

I shared this in the office and was told that SUN was bragging that it only suffered 1 hard drive failure.

as far as I know this is the original, but it's in German.

http://web.archive.org/web/20090214015534/http://www.systemhelden.com/?p=61

hooray google translate I guess?

quote:

Somewhere in Germany, in June 2007: A System Held wanted to once again look to its servers and sees this: When did this happen? He does not know - because all servers are simply gone! Still, a few hours later the Sun Systems Support technicians are erected on the spot again and individually checked for possible component failure. The result is impressive: Only one disk failed the service!

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Malek posted:

Looks like there is a lot of material to absorb the impact before that energy reached the hdd, must be very well engineered

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Enkmar posted:

Looks like there is a lot of material to absorb the impact before that energy reached the hdd, must be very well engineered

I assume power also would have been cut when the power cords snapped or were wrenched out of the socket. Unless the UPS is in the same rack.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The exterior of the case looks like it crumpled to absorb the impact too. I highly doubt it was designed for that eventuality but it worked.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sun hardware is still the poo poo. I had one that ran with a failed CPU for 9 months before we could bring it down to fix it, and it had no problems, other than a slightly higher load as it worked around the failed CPU.

Same company is almost all of their mission critical stuff on 10 year old Sun servers because everytime they try to upgrade to modern hardware, it fails under the load they put on it, but those ancient pieces of hardware just keep chugging along.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

18 Character Limit posted:

Two highest priority/enterprise-affecting tickets came in!

:downs: Please unmount /mnt on development serverA, we are done using it.
:downs: Please unmount /mnt on development serverB, we are done using it.

:commissar:

I need a :dba: smiley. It will not be a good smiley.

Set up automounter for temporary stuff.

/net/SERVERNAME/SHARENAME/...

As long as nothing production is using it, it's actually quite nice. It can be configured to unmount after a period of time of non-use.

As far as my day, let me sing you a song of my people:

Old McDonald had a SAN.
E-I [EIO]
And on that SAN he had some kernel: qla2xxx [0000:81:00.0]-801c:2: Abort command issued nexus=2:4:44 -
E-I [EIO]
With a contractor here
ripping through FC cables there...

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Renegret posted:

as far as I know this is the original, but it's in German.

http://web.archive.org/web/20090214015534/http://www.systemhelden.com/?p=61

hooray google translate I guess?

A drive failure must've been really bad to knock that server over. :v:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Malek posted:

Whole new definition of platter crash, eh? :P

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Malek posted:

Siochain posted:

Whole new definition of platter crash, eh? :P

There's a joke about bad drivers in here somewhere I'm certain.

A ticket came in: Dad jokes: So a computer janitor walks into a VAR...

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Mo_Steel posted:

There's a joke about bad drivers in here somewhere I'm certain.

A ticket came in: Dad jokes: So a computer janitor walks into a VAR...

<Insert picture of Nicholas Cage movies in storage with other NICs>

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

nitrogen posted:

Set up automounter for temporary stuff.

/net/SERVERNAME/SHARENAME/...

As long as nothing production is using it, it's actually quite nice. It can be configured to unmount after a period of time of non-use.

As far as my day, let me sing you a song of my people:

Old McDonald had a SAN.
E-I [EIO]
And on that SAN he had some kernel: qla2xxx [0000:81:00.0]-801c:2: Abort command issued nexus=2:4:44 -
E-I [EIO]
With a contractor here
ripping through FC cables there...

This happened to me yesterday. Nothing like 14 out of your 16 LUNs suddenly going poof. Though in this case it's because the lovely Active storage arrays the client has decided to freeze up. One decided to reset itself and rebuild parity but the data was still there, just took 12 hours to come back online.

Re-assigning LUNs and hoping the SAN controllers pick them back up with the correct labels is always fun.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

pr0digal posted:

This happened to me yesterday. Nothing like 14 out of your 16 LUNs suddenly going poof. Though in this case it's because the lovely Active storage arrays the client has decided to freeze up. One decided to reset itself and rebuild parity but the data was still there, just took 12 hours to come back online.

Re-assigning LUNs and hoping the SAN controllers pick them back up with the correct labels is always fun.

Holy poo poo, Active storage as in ActiveRAIDs? If so, I'm sorry.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
coworker got teamviewer "hacked" 4 days after i had a conversation with him about securing it, apparently i should have just gone over there and done it myself

$10k transfered out of his paypal (why in the world would you keep that much in there)

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

I had a ticket recently where a couple of people were taking over from another SysAdmin who left. Everytime the system would boot it would fail into rescue mode (RHEL system)

Reason? They original person had a Linux LVM Logical voulme int the root Volume Group that was mulitpath/iSCSI mounted. Which is configured to automount in fstab.
If you don't see the problem here: mounts are done BEFORE networking, and even with this something was breaking the NIC bond they were using for iSCSI on boot so it would fail for 20 minutes attempting to contact the ISCSI. Also: the iSCSI SAN wasn't configured for proper permissions either. Without fixing anything we could in rescue mode remount all the non-iSCSI LVMs, up the second bond, and then login to the iSCSI devices and it'll all be fine.

That was a mess to attempt to fix and I even had to get a second hand to help.

It's very clear the previous person only bothered with runtime config.
This sever, by the way, was an Oracle DB as well. The LVM iSCSI shares were the databases. :smith:

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 9, 2016

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Super easy fix for this, at least in redhat 6, and its probably similar in 7.

iSCSI mounts should be mounted with _netdev added to options.

chkconfig netfs on

then they will mount AFTER the network comes up.

code:
/dev/mapper/fuckyou-iscsi   /  whateverfs default,_netdev 0 1

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

nitrogen posted:

Super easy fix for this, at least in redhat 6, and its probably similar in 7.

iSCSI mounts should be mounted with _netdev added to options.

chkconfig netfs on

then they will mount AFTER the network comes up.

code:
/dev/mapper/fuckyou-iscsi   /  whateverfs default,_netdev 0 1

Except that didn't resolve the issue entirely. The iSCSI premissions on the iSCSI SAN box was all sorts of screwed up as well. We'd unravel part of the problem on the server, then find issues on the EQL, and then back and forth.
And the second bond device kept failing to come up on boot as well. That one being connected to the iSCSI subnet.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

:v: Hey, Arsten, you know about computers, right?
:eng101: :siren: ...Yes? :siren:
:v: Well, I bought five bitcoins from this guy online, and nothings been delivered. How would I cyber hack him in his firewalls?
:eng99: I literally cannot help you. Sorry.
:confused: What?
:eng99: I just don't know anything about computers. I haven't even learned to type, really.
:v: Oh. Ok. Thanks!

I...don't even....It can't be like this. It isn't like this, right. I am Truman, and you are all laughing at me from the other side of a TV, right? RIGHT?!. :cry:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

NeuralSpark posted:

Holy poo poo, Active storage as in ActiveRAIDs? If so, I'm sorry.

Yup. I hate the loving things, my favorite is the one that kills any new drive plugged into it. Though most of our clients who had them no longer use them thank god.

Thankfully we got them switched over to StorNext a while back so at least their metadata is safe on the NetApp array that the M441Ds use and they had a full tape backup. Now just to get their storage migrated to something less terrible.

*edit* the SAN did come back up after I re-created the LUNs on the chassis so crisis averted

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 9, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Arsten posted:

:v: Hey, Arsten, you know about computers, right?
:eng99: I just don't know anything about computers. I haven't even learned to type, really.
:v: Oh. Ok. Thanks!

Congratulations on figuring out the correct way to defuse this kind of situation.

It also works for parental tech support; I (truthfully) told mine that a Surface may as well be black magic to me, and surprise surprise they've started learning how to google things and fix their own problems.

They're still a bit fuzzy on the concept of paying money to fix devices broken beyond the ability of any user to repair, but I'm sure they'll get there eventually.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Renaissance Robot posted:

Congratulations on figuring out the correct way to defuse this kind of situation.

It also works for parental tech support; I (truthfully) told mine that a Surface may as well be black magic to me, and surprise surprise they've started learning how to google things and fix their own problems.

They're still a bit fuzzy on the concept of paying money to fix devices broken beyond the ability of any user to repair, but I'm sure they'll get there eventually.

Paying money?! Pah! Everything comes with free support in perpetuity throughout the universe!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Five bitcoins? Isn't that still like a thousand bucks? What kind of drugs was that guy looking to buy?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Five bitcoins? Isn't that still like a thousand bucks? What kind of drugs was that guy looking to buy?

I don't know. But I do know that if I ask about it, I'll get roped into a situation where I have to count my brain cells as they slowly die one by one.

And I thought BitCoins were like $500 now? Did they come down?

Edit:
$579 USD for each bitcoin.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
...I just assumed they had come back down. :wow:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

FordPRefectLL posted:

coworker got teamviewer "hacked" 4 days after i had a conversation with him about securing it, apparently i should have just gone over there and done it myself

$10k transfered out of his paypal (why in the world would you keep that much in there)

Probably transferred directly out from his bank account.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Why would you keep 10,000 in your main checking account? Maybe it's different for non-poors, but if I've got anything above $1500-2000, that poo poo is going to an emergency fund / general savings / debt reduction. I just can't see keeping $nice_used_car in my main account, even if I'm good at sticking to a budget (I'm not)

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Renaissance Robot posted:

My aunt bought my grandma an iPad and it took several calls to cement that I've never used an Apple product in my life and wouldn't know where to start troubleshooting it, especially from opposite sides of the country.

Said aunt and her 3 Apple everything using kids (who live nearby grandma) are always "too busy" to help her. Fortunately grandma's pretty sharp and managed to Google a fix for whatever it was herself.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Why would you keep 10,000 in your main checking account? Maybe it's different for non-poors, but if I've got anything above $1500-2000, that poo poo is going to an emergency fund / general savings / debt reduction. I just can't see keeping $nice_used_car in my main account, even if I'm good at sticking to a budget (I'm not)

Some people don't understand the concept of a savings account

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Migishu posted:

Just can't wait to make that %.001APY!

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Migishu posted:

Some people have overdraft protection, so that when something charges 10,000 to your checking account it automatically draws from savings. :v:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Uhh....I got more than that in my checking. I should probably move it. But yes, overdraft protection so it doesn't really matter.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

GreenNight posted:

Uhh....I got more than that in my checking. I should probably move it. But yes, overdraft protection so it doesn't really matter.

hey man what's your 9-digit teamviewer ID

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I remember overdraft protection being this scam for poor people. I would prefer my dept card to not go through if I don't have the funds instead of paying 35$ for every small transaction I made when I accidentally left too little money in my checking. I can bare the shame of getting a transaction declined.

But then again I use a credit card because I like being able to have total protection from theft and fraud.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

MiniFoo posted:

hey man what's your 9-digit teamviewer ID

Disabled and uninstalled teamviewer after the hacking scare.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Sickening posted:

I remember overdraft protection being this scam for poor people. I would prefer my dept card to not go through if I don't have the funds instead of paying 35$ for every small transaction I made when I accidentally left too little money in my checking. I can bare the shame of getting a transaction declined.

But then again I use a credit card because I like being able to have total protection from theft and fraud.

You're confusing three concepts (which is understandable because banks live for that):
Overdraft Protection is when you pull from another standing account to cover for an account that is short by some amount.
Overdraft Credit is an actual line of credit that you dip into at Credit-Card-like rates and usually pay some sort of fee ($1-$5 is what I've seen) per transaction for using it. You get this only if you have basically perfect credit.

This last one is what the poor people get, and it has no common term and each bank calls it something different (a few call it straight up "Overdraft Protection" to your face with different terminology you sign against) - and that's where you get charged $35+ for each non-bank charge that hits your account when it goes negative. This is the scam one that kept the banks in profit through both the 2002 and the 2009 crises.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Disabled and uninstalled teamviewer after the hacking scare.

Same here. When reports started popping up in /r/sysadmin, here, and on IRC I uninstalled it without a second thought. I'll still use Quicksupport for my parents, but for home use RDP works fine.

Does anyone have any experience with Chrome Remote Desktop?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I do some minor consulting work and teamviewer is one of the tools I like to use. Do I need to find something else? Is there any good info on the risks and how to mitigate them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I do some minor consulting work and teamviewer is one of the tools I like to use. Do I need to find something else? Is there any good info on the risks and how to mitigate them?

So far the only real one I have seen is not to reuse passwords.

• Locked thread