Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

C’mon, he uploaded two strips within a week and announced a new prequel book. Rich is very ok and you shouldn’t wantonly invoke the magic phrase.

He's not off the hook until we have a regular MON-WED-FRI schedule again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Who makes them though? What wizard is spending his time crafting a Deck of Many Things or a Bag of Tricks?

Phenomenal cosmic power absolutely no checks and balances

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Who makes them though? What wizard is spending his time crafting a Deck of Many Things or a Bag of Tricks?

Ever had those brilliant ideas while you were drunk and/or high?

Wizards are like that all the time.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 6, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There's a genie in Baldur's Gate II who has a Deck of Many Things, and you can choose to challenge him to a draw-off instead of fighting him. Whoever draws the highest card and survives wins the pot. It seems like a good way to settle bets and beefs for epic and near-epic characters.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It was probably something like a chaotic wizard running a magic shop running a special "free deck of cards with every purchase"

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0130.html

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

pulls one out and throws it up hopefully

looks up

(resigned) "typical"

RHINOCEROS'D

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Maybe Decks of Many Things are like the magical equivalent of radioactive waste, they're created as a side effect of the spell you actually want to cast and you know if you keep it lying around your tower then some rear end in a top hat will end up drawing a bunch by accident, so the best thing to do is just make sure it's a long way away when an adventurer inevitably comes across it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
IIRC they're artifacts so some rear end in a top hat god leaves them lying around as jokes at adventurers' expense.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Random Stranger posted:

See, there's something cool to be had in the idea of a magical superweapon more likely to drat you than save you. What's it mean to have something like that or to use it? There's a story to be told about someone smuggling ten pounds of raw chaos into fantasy city and nobody knows what is going to happen. But it would require someone with more talent than the Goblins guy to tell these stories since he can't engage with the concepts on anything more than the most superficial level.

That sounds like the plot of a couple China Mieville Bas-Lag novels

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Shugojin posted:

Maybe wizards who really hate tarot readers?

Now EVERY card is the death card you loving FAKE, rear end, HACK1!!! *throws fireballs and REEEEEEEES as the gypsies flee*

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Cool we needed more racial slurs and bigotry in this thread I'm sure.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Fuego Fish posted:

Depending on where you are gypsy doesn't have the same hustory. I keep surprising people here in Ohio by pointing out that's a racial slur and privileged white girls should probably stop going all "I'm a gypsy soul" on Instagram

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

Now EVERY card is the death card you loving FAKE, rear end, HACK1!!! *throws fireballs and REEEEEEEES as the gypsies flee*
well the death card is really not so bad since it actually represents change and *gets turned into newt*

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Len posted:

Depending on where you are gypsy doesn't have the same hustory. I keep surprising people here in Ohio by pointing out that's a racial slur and privileged white girls should probably stop going all "I'm a gypsy soul" on Instagram

In my region of the US, if you say Romani instead of gypsy, people will have literally no idea what you're talking about.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There Bias Two posted:

In my region of the US, if you say Romani instead of gypsy, people will have literally no idea what you're talking about.

Those are those dudes who make Chateau Romani for the milk bar right?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Those are those dudes who make Chateau Romani for the milk bar right?

What the hell is a milk bar?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Fuego Fish posted:

It was foretold

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There Bias Two posted:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There Bias Two posted:

It's Australian for the corner store?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

There Bias Two posted:

They're talking about a video game thing, but my city has an actual one. They only serve mix drinks with dairy in them from local dairy farms. You know hipster poo poo

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There Bias Two posted:

Sharpens you up and makes you ready for a bit of the old ultraviolence.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

There Bias Two posted:

Yep. There's people who are the stereotypical Tumblr everything is politically correct all the time who get so confused when you tell them gyp is a derivative of gypsy and thus racist it's just not ready a thing over here.

I don't know when exactly I learned it but it cast a different light on the tour guide for my high school trip that did nothing but complain about the gypsy's in Paris.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Len posted:

Yep. There's people who are the stereotypical Tumblr everything is politically correct all the time who get so confused when you tell them gyp is a derivative of gypsy and thus racist it's just not ready a thing over here.

I don't know when exactly I learned it but it cast a different light on the tour guide for my high school trip that did nothing but complain about the gypsy's in Paris.

Did Peter David have the same tour guide as you?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Endless Mike posted:

Did Peter David have the same tour guide as you?

A little old lady named Olga?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

New comic: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1120.html

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
What is Yurkon referring to in panel 9? Just the general trope of dead father figures?

Because for all the dunking on OotS for overusing dad tropes, it only actually features two plot-relevant dead fathers. And I guess a handful of father figures that were either really minor or really figurative.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
durkon dead dad, roy haley and elan have hosed up/dead dads. uhhh whatever the rear end in a top hat paladins name was was an orphan. v is theirself a horrible father(ish) figure

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What is Yurkon referring to in panel 9? Just the general trope of dead father figures?

Because for all the dunking on OotS for overusing dad tropes, it only actually features two plot-relevant dead fathers. And I guess a handful of father figures that were either really minor or really figurative.

Every single party member has or is a distant, lovely father. Except Belkar. His dad Lord Shojo is the best.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mean absent dad/parents are also a huge part of Elan and V's arc (with V as the deadbeat parent).

Which means its relevant to literally the entire order except Belkar with Durkon's kid.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

the entire quest is because of roys lovely dead dad

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I don't want to jinx anything, but Rich is on a roll as far as OOTS updates go, we've been getting what, a comic every week? Maybe now that he's done with that book they'll start being more of a priority?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well yeah, there's loads of poo poo dads, but only two dead dads (three, with Durkon), unless you wanna count duders like Shojo or Horace Greenhilt or Penultimate Redcloak.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

durkons dad is dead, roys dad is dead, elans dad is dead. belkar and mr scruffys (real) dad is dead

the one that actually matters is durkons tho

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh thank Boss

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

violent sex idiot posted:

durkons dad is dead, roys dad is dead, elans dad is dead. belkar and mr scruffys (real) dad is dead

DARKNESS

NOOO PARENTS

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

violent sex idiot posted:

Tarquin was intentionally left alive.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Who What Now posted:

Tarquin was intentionally left alive.

Not intentionally but left alive he was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

oh yeah I'm dumb. tarquin is still a deadbeat rear end in a top hat tho