Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Rise of the Tomb Raider:

I'm getting strong Assassin's Creed III vibes from the gameplay. It's ostensibly a linear action-game, but they cram in a whole bunch of irrelevant game-mechanics like crafting, and then never fully integrate them into the rest of the game.
This. I just got this game on the steam sale and boy is it annoying. If I'm fighting an armored enemy, I don't have grenades, but the game will plop down empty cans that I can pick up and instantly craft a grenade, that I then have to throw before I can resume shooting. If the designers didn't put any cans in the area, I'm not supposed to use grenades. It feels like a very artificial limit on player freedom. It also forces me to hunt for some fictitious explosive mineral which is for some reason always in a wolf-infested cave. So in addition to limiting my freedom, it also forces me to engage in grinding.

There are also some kind of collectable cards that you can buy for in-game "credits" but there is no explanation of what I can do with these cards.

It's a shame because it is a somewhat good game, it's really weird how they dropped the ball on certain things.

Hippie Hedgehog has a new favorite as of 13:33 on Jun 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I just started playing The Last of Us and it's very immersive and cool. Currently I'm still in the early stages in the quarantine zone looking for Robert and one thing that's a bit jarring is the large open areas with suspicious chest high objects littering the place. They're just such blatant "you'll be fighting here" arenas that they pull me out of things a bit. Maybe I haven't played many action games in the last few years but I think this hasn't been such a common thing in recent years?

In Final Fantasy XII there's a status effect called Disease which is a real drag to deal with. They way it works is when you take damage whatever HP you're reduced to is now your new max HP so eventually you'll be worn down to 1 HP. If you die/KO you'll be revived with a max HP of 1. There is no accessory bar Ribbon (only one exists naturally in game which takes hours of grinding to get, or farming from a bonus mode which also takes hours to grind even one if you'r lucky) that grants immunity to it. The spell to remove Disease is hidden in a random late game chest that doesn't even have a 100% spawn rate and the item to clear the status effect only appears for sale near the end of the game also. A bunch of the toughest post game bosses love inflicting it. It's a challenge for sure but it can get super aggravating to turn the tide when you start getting hit with it.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

EmmyOk posted:

I just started playing The Last of Us and it's very immersive and cool. Currently I'm still in the early stages in the quarantine zone looking for Robert and one thing that's a bit jarring is the large open areas with suspicious chest high objects littering the place. They're just such blatant "you'll be fighting here" arenas that they pull me out of things a bit. Maybe I haven't played many action games in the last few years but I think this hasn't been such a common thing in recent years?

yeah naughty dog's been doing that since uncharted 1

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Recently finished playing through Divnity: Original Sin in co op with a mate and absolutely loved it apart from one thing: lockpicking.

You can invest skill points when you level up into the lockpicking skill up to level 5, but it's pretty much useless beyond level 2 or 3 because you'll probably be drowning in items that give you +1 lockpicking by the time you're a third of the way through the game, and you don't find any doors that need level 4 or 5 until very near the end.

The biggest problem, however, is that 80% of locked doors require level 99 to pick, which is impossible. Any door that is level 99 is also indestructible, or requires at least 12 real-time hours of throwing spells at it to bash it down (don't try to break locked doors, regardless of level, after the tutorial with weapons because your weapon will break almost immediately). It's obvious that these doors are locked to funnel you through a plot but 1) it renders the skill almost completely pointless and 2) the game introduces the concept of magical locks that require special one-off spells early on in the game, so why didn't they just use those for plot-locked doors?

Also you can't respec until pretty much the end of the game, so my mate playing a ranger/thief type character was slightly gimped right up until the last part because he'd wasted loads of points on lockpicking.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

In Final Fantasy XII there's a status effect called Disease which is a real drag to deal with. They way it works is when you take damage whatever HP you're reduced to is now your new max HP so eventually you'll be worn down to 1 HP. If you die/KO you'll be revived with a max HP of 1. There is no accessory bar Ribbon (only one exists naturally in game which takes hours of grinding to get, or farming from a bonus mode which also takes hours to grind even one if you'r lucky) that grants immunity to it. The spell to remove Disease is hidden in a random late game chest that doesn't even have a 100% spawn rate and the item to clear the status effect only appears for sale near the end of the game also. A bunch of the toughest post game bosses love inflicting it. It's a challenge for sure but it can get super aggravating to turn the tide when you start getting hit with it.
Where do you start encountering it? I've played probably a couple hundred hours of FFXII since the PS2 release, and I completely don't remember this existing.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Quote-Unquote posted:

(don't try to break locked doors, regardless of level, after the tutorial with weapons because your weapon will break almost immediately)

Try using ranged weapons, they don't break when they target locked doors :v:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Gerblyn posted:

Try using ranged weapons, they don't break when they target locked doors :v:

Still pointless as there are no doors worth breaking down in the entire game!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This is much improved in D:OS2 since you can break down any non-critical chest or door even without any points in Thievery. And if you're Undead, you can use your own bony fingers as a key instead!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Jukebox Hero posted:

Detroit is really loving stupid. Every single plot point makes zero sense.
-everybody hates androids for no loving reason. You literally see the first act of android on human violence occur in the opening scene of the game but people have been beating them to death in the street for implied years.

- people are assholes. Remember that robot that was sent cross-country and was swiftly destroyed by some random idiots?

Tardcore posted:

The most obvious to me was that if you're making slave robots why would you make them look human? there is no point to it other than the terrible racism metaphor.

We've been trying to make human-like robots for decades. Ever since the concept of 'robot' existed in fiction, we've been making them human-like. Same with actual attempts at robotics nowadays, uncanny valley be damned.

The biggest problem with Detroit, as far as I see, isn't so much the slavery metaphor, but how heavy-handed it is. There are ways to show an underclass, one that's being discriminated and treated as sub-human, and draw parallels to the civil rights movement beyond literally drawing a line from one to the other. Stuff like "Write WE HAVE A DREAM on a bench!" is, like, come on.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

This is much improved in D:OS2 since you can break down any non-critical chest or door even without any points in Thievery. And if you're Undead, you can use your own bony fingers as a key instead!

The thing dragging this game down is that it's delayed until next year on PS4 :(

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Where do you start encountering it? I've played probably a couple hundred hours of FFXII since the PS2 release, and I completely don't remember this existing.

I tried to google there but can't find much on which enemies specifically cause it or when it starts showing up. I think it shows up in Giruvegan at least and a lot of the later hunts and espers love inflicting it. A lot of those enemies KO you super fast even at high levels which is fine because by then you can kind of treat as a status effect because your Phoenix Downs are better and you have characters with full life spells. Disease fucks you up though because all those items/spells restore 1HP and often the character is KO'd again before you can can use the Serum to cure it.

e: I was playing Zodiac age so it's possible it became more prevalent in this release though it for sure existed in PS2 era and the item was called Vaccine back then

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Quote-Unquote posted:

The thing dragging this game down is that it's delayed until next year on PS4 :(

Aren't console owners getting the Definitive Edition in August?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Aren't console owners getting the Definitive Edition in August?

It was supposed to be but then the other day the date on Amazon went back to next year (January US, February EU)

edit: Oh wait, it changed back to August 31st today. They just didn't email me to tell me. Good news!

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Detroit isn't just dragged down by heavy-handedness, but also in the muddling of several metaphors and struggles into a singular über-struggle. Any bad thing that has happened to a group be it slavery, segregation, rape, the holocaust, etc, happens to the androids, which really unfocuses the point the game was going for.

It's also really preoccupied with the "sexiest" parts of fighting oppression. The parts where iconic individuals make passionate speeches, demonstrate, or suffer on camera, which is a real goof.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The 2013 tomb raider is superior to rise of the tomb raider in every way

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Morpheus posted:

- people are assholes. Remember that robot that was sent cross-country and was swiftly destroyed by some random idiots?

Those weren't idiots, those were Philadelphians.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Those weren't idiots, those were Philadelphians.

There's a start-up trying to use robots for deliveries and in their test markets they've had issues with people vandalizing and obstructing them. I've seen people lamenting how people can be so stupid and cruel to defenseless machines which is a hilarious degree of anthropomorphism considering that people have shown the same hostility to scooter and bike rental services and Google Glass and every other attempt at corporations to intrude on shared spaces.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Glukeose posted:

Detroit isn't just dragged down by heavy-handedness, but also in the muddling of several metaphors and struggles into a singular über-struggle. Any bad thing that has happened to a group be it slavery, segregation, rape, the holocaust, etc, happens to the androids, which really unfocuses the point the game was going for.

It's also really preoccupied with the "sexiest" parts of fighting oppression. The parts where iconic individuals make passionate speeches, demonstrate, or suffer on camera, which is a real goof.

i've been skimming the two best friends LP and Markus' portion appears to be at least 50% sermons, it's bizarre

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015
Half the stuff that guy complained about is completely explained. The people hate the androids in Detroit cause "they took our jobs!!!"
Unemployment is at almost 50% because of automation and there's homeless people everywhere. It's not the best reasoning but it at least makes sense as a source of contempt.

They definitely don't feel pain either, and their benefit over human workers is that they never tire, never get hungry, never stop working. The deviant ones are clearly afraid of death and understand mortality but like, Markus still gets blasted in the chest with high caliber rifle rounds and doesn't even flinch, he just keeps walkin around. They only seem scared of it when they know it will actually kill them, when they take surface damage they don't give a flying gently caress. I think the strength thing depends on the robot, cause some are weak as hell like Kara cause she's just made for taking care of kids, but Luther for example is strong af cause he was made for haulage. Connor holds his own in a fight pretty well, too. Depends on their purpose

I'm not gonna defend all the stupid racism allegories cause they are actually a thing dragging the game down but... I like this game :colbert:

edit: actually now that I think of it, just like the poster above mentioned, all the stupid racism stuff is also in the worst part of the story. if you just took out Markus entirely this game would be loving awesome

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
I haven't played Detroit, but I watched a full play-through and the writing seemed really bad to me. (I would have bought it to actually play if it didn't.) I actually liked a lot of Connor's scenes, but almost everything with Kara and Marcus was hackneyed and the dialogue is unconvincing. The world itself didn't really feel convincing or coherent to me in lots of small ways. I'd say the writing isn't David Cage's worst, but I probably had more audible groans from this one than any of his other games.

If you are looking for a small dumb thing to drag the game down though: They are patching the game so that you can undo the big fourth wall breaking moral choice of freeing your android game menu slave, completely undermining the meaning behind this decision and any impact it may have. They explain that "The original Chloe will still be free" though.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jukebox Hero posted:

Detroit is really loving stupid. Every single plot point makes zero sense.

-androids are weaker than humans, feel pain, and cannot do anything a human can't do, yet are somehow 'revolutionary' enough they get used everywhere, despite, again, just being people
-people murder androids to turn blue robot blood into crystal meth i mean 'RED ICE'
-androids have brain-phones and can film poo poo with their eyes. This literally only comes up when it's convenient for the plot. You cannot report Kara's abusive owner when he threatens her after she finds his drugs, but she can call the store to buy parts to repair the dishwasher
-everybody hates androids for no loving reason. You literally see the first act of android on human violence occur in the opening scene of the game but people have been beating them to death in the street for implied years.
-everything about the redneck who breaks robots and turns them into weird limbless things but leaves them alive and in pain(they can feel pain why the gently caress can robots feel pain)

First bit, the androids you're playing are Kara, who's meant to be a nanny and maid so she's not gonna be the Juggernaut, Markus, who's much of the same role, then Connor who's a cop and unless you're messing up your prompts is pretty much decisively winning his fights up until another android fucks you up hard. Luther though is like seven feet tall and jacked, casually yanks some barricades off a door, moves things around and shortly later tells you his kind of androids were made to be like longshoremen and heavy duty guys.

The red ice stuff is dumb but it's pretty much a background detail the whole game.

That one's not much of a stretch, Kara's still in "Yes master" mode when that stuff happens.

Unemployment is supposed to be at like 50% and all the news is regularly going "Fuckin androids takin yer jerbs."

The creepy vaguely eastern european guy is a gross sadist that captures androids and sells them back or uses them for all that because they're assumedly a sociopath.

All that and one of the first magazines you find early in the game explains why androids are made so lifelike, plain old demand and comfort. Originally they were much more mannequin-like, people complained they were creepy so they gave them hair, lashes, nails and humanizing details, after that people complained they were now creepy because they didn't blink or breathe, so next they gave them more subtle expressions. Eventually it came to it that their main identifying feature was just the little circular LED on their temple.

And I mean making your "Works with/around people" robots more lifelike is something we've already been trying to do, I dunno why that one's a big immersion breaker for people.

Yardbomb has a new favorite as of 19:08 on Jun 14, 2018

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Why are there so many David Cage defenders when he’s a hack idiot writing fanfiction-level plots of popular media he recently consumed (Westworld, most recently) and is insanely fun to dunk on at all times. Lining up to insult the man I understand, but defend him?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Because all his other games start strong and then go completely down the toilet, while this one was just pretty good throughout. I wanted to hate the game and ended up liking it. :shrug:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Fallout: New Vegas: I wish there were more things to do and/or buildings to go into in Freeside. It's built up as a pretty busy area, but never quite sells it, and there are rows and rows of boarded over doors, almost as though Obsidian is saying "we wanted to put something here, but ran out of time."

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

markus' portion is definitely the worst part of detroit. connor and hank own for obvious reasons, and honestly mother stuff in games really appeals to me so i liked kara and alice (apart from the twist which wasn't a twist at all)

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

StandardVC10 posted:

Fallout: New Vegas: I wish there were more things to do and/or buildings to go into in Freeside. It's built up as a pretty busy area, but never quite sells it, and there are rows and rows of boarded over doors, almost as though Obsidian is saying "we wanted to put something here, but ran out of time."

Well that's pretty much what happened, so...

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

VanSandman posted:

Why are there so many David Cage defenders when he’s a hack idiot writing fanfiction-level plots of popular media he recently consumed (Westworld, most recently) and is insanely fun to dunk on at all times. Lining up to insult the man I understand, but defend him?

So many videogames have a very overt feel of being designed by committee - look at the Tomb Raider complaints on this page, or look at any Ubisoft game. There's a clusterfuck of features that are crammed in just because every other game of the moment is doing them - semi-open world, objectives that reveal part of the map, gratuitous crafting. Before that it was regenerating health, physics manipulations. Every game follows the same basic rhythms, the same basic plots. Even games with relatively interesting settings or aesthetics (Dishonored, Mirror's Edge) just rehash the same stuff.

But David Cage (and Kojima, and Suda51) games at least have that auteur feel to them. A David Cage game is very much recognisable as a David Cage game, and even when its absolute garbage it still sticks out from all the cookie-cutter AAA games. In many ways I'd prefer an awful Kojima game to a well-assembled but generic game, because at least Kojima would be awful in an interesting way, it'd have something memorable.

Also Farenheit owns bones and I'll fight anyone who disagrees. By waving my arms in time to coloured lights.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

Half the stuff that guy complained about is completely explained. The people hate the androids in Detroit cause "they took our jobs!!!"
Unemployment is at almost 50% because of automation and there's homeless people everywhere. It's not the best reasoning but it at least makes sense as a source of contempt.

in other words, cage has no idea how economics work

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

spit on my clit posted:

in other words, cage has no idea how ______________ work

Yes.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Detroit is his most competent game thus far, but that's a low bar to clear. If you actually want to talk about design flaws in the androids, consider that they have no fingerprints, invisible blood, and removable LED lights. There seems to be no built in way to track androids that go deviant, necessitating a specific android model designed to hunt deviants.

Human cops don't even seem to have a luminol equivalent to locate thirium that androids leave behind. It's wild. They're the perfect criminals, only need to be in wifi range of robo jesus to start breaking their programming.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

StandardVC10 posted:

I find this is an issue for me with a lot of games that are open-world or sandbox- building the exteriors is such a big effort that they have to kinda skimp on interior spaces.

I mean in old games they got around this by having villages be literally composed of 3-4 buildings, but that's not as much a thing these days.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Glukeose posted:

necessitating a specific android model designed to hunt deviants.

Wait is Detroit a Blade Runner game?

There needs to be a new Blade Runner game, like the one made in 97

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Live a Live's caveman chapter is sooo grindy if you are trying to get good items, the Sturdy Rocks barely drop at all and take phenomenal amounts of grinding so you can make the good stuff. It's still funny though. It's basically a sex comedy, Carry on Caveman.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Leal posted:

You spend a lot of time tracking down robots that think they're people.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Live a Live's caveman chapter is sooo grindy if you are trying to get good items, the Sturdy Rocks barely drop at all and take phenomenal amounts of grinding so you can make the good stuff. It's still funny though. It's basically a sex comedy, Carry on Caveman.

Good luck getting the Soda Pop or the Bone! One of them is impossible levels of obtuse, the other has a support boss guarding it.
It's still a good game. Knight chapter ftw.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Post poste posted:

Good luck getting the Soda Pop or the Bone! One of them is impossible levels of obtuse, the other has a support boss guarding it.
It's still a good game. Knight chapter ftw.

Didn't bother with that, just beat the chapter. On to the Mecha boy now. I have beaten the game before BTW, just replaying it.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Leal posted:

One of the characters you play as is an android in a weird odd couple buddy cop scenario with an old drunk curmudgeon of an officer. Their segment of the game is the only nice thing I can say about Detroit aside from the graphics. There are some legit delightful moments with them. Detroit might squeak by as Cage's best writing, but I don't think it is his best game. (The branching stuff is better than previous works though) When it was bad it wasn't bad in a fun or endearing way for me. David Cage attempting to tackle oppression was mostly just painful to watch, he isn't up to the task. Fahrenheit / Indigo Prophecy is my favorite Cage game, it's a complete mess in a mostly fun way.

StandardVC10 posted:

I've had this problem with most of Bethesda's games too, most of the towns and settlements that are supposed to feel like they are proper cities just don't have enough people. A lot of games set in modern cities, open world or not, feel the same way.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Leal posted:

No, because in Detroit the androids are the good guys.

- a thing that David Cage actually said.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

this is a really bizarre message to send if you're comparing them to actual human minorities. Is it saying that anyone who thinks it's bad for the working class to be rendered obsolete and desperate, because their jobs are going away and not coming back, is racist (is David Cage Hillary Clinton?)? Or is it saying immigrants are bad because they take our jobs? Or what

It's like when xmen or whatever has an oppressed minority that regularly causes wholesale death with uncontrollable power and which you absolutely should be loving terrified of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

(is David Cage Hillary Clinton?)?

No, but the president of Cage's future america is