Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Oh, thanks for the links. I'll try to see if I can find it around shops first and price-check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

Guys, what do you think is the best instant noodle brands? Seeking some opinions. :)

JML brand (Chinese) packets are excellent. There's enough going on in there that you won't get bored if you just make what's in the packet, but it's also a top-notch base if you add mushroom, vegetables, and beaten egg and make a dinner of it.

https://smile.amazon.com/INSTANT-NOODLE-Artificial-Spicy-FLAVOR-5/dp/B00824IPSU/

It's not as easy to find as Nonshim is unless you have a decent local oriental mart, so Amazon is probably the way to go.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 19, 2016

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

This is a really stupid question, but, I just bought a couple bottles of Pearl River Light & Dark Soy Sauces and noticed the expiration date is this month. Does it really go bad? Says it was bottled in 12/2014...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Internet seems to be divided on it, some saying they have old bottles that lasted forever (people like me) and others saying that they had bottles that went moldy. I guess it kind of depends on your conditions and how well it was stored, and if you're going to keep it, always sniff to make sure it hasn't gone weird.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
^^^^
They said it actually turned moldy? I hadn't heard of that. I had a bottle on my desk at work for about a year once, and it never turned actively unpleasant, but after a few months it definitely did not taste or look the same as fresh. Do you refrigerate yours?

It's kind of like Tabasco or fish sauce. Soy sauce won't really go bad, but an opened bottle kept in the open on a table or counter (over months) can discolor and some of the flavor can change. Keep the unopened bottles in a cool dark cabinet or basement or something. Keeping open bottles in the refrigerator will help preserve the appearance and flavor for longer.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 20, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

hogmartin posted:

^^^^
They said it actually turned moldy?

Yeah. Seems uncommon and dependent on a lot of factors like the storage conditions, climate, whether it's low sodium, etc.

Your main concern will probably be whether it turns stale or not.

Internet consensus is that storing it in the fridge will keep it good the longest.

quote:

Do you refrigerate yours?
I keep a jug of kikkoman low sodium in the pantry and a small bottle of higher quality stuff in the fridge

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 20, 2016

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Leal posted:

This is actually very tempting. When you did cook frozen fried food did they taste as good as if you put them into a traditional deep fryer?

Almost as good. It's pretty much the entire reason that the thing exists, the whole "healthy air-frying" thing is just a marketing distraction.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Goons With Spoons, I have a Secret Santa going on and the person I'm giving a gift for currently lives alone and mainly on pots of rice. I want to get them something for Secret Santa that will open them up to cooking a little more, so my idea was getting them a bottle of good olive oil and a good cookbook.

The issue here is that I don't know cookbooks. Does anyone have any good cookbooks in mind that have relatively simple (half hour or less prep time, ingredients being what you can find in the average supermarket) but excellent tasting dishes?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Goons With Spoons, I have a Secret Santa going on and the person I'm giving a gift for currently lives alone and mainly on pots of rice. I want to get them something for Secret Santa that will open them up to cooking a little more, so my idea was getting them a bottle of good olive oil and a good cookbook.

The issue here is that I don't know cookbooks. Does anyone have any good cookbooks in mind that have relatively simple (half hour or less prep time, ingredients being what you can find in the average supermarket) but excellent tasting dishes?

The Way to Cook by Julia Child is great not just for recipes but also for techniques, which helps people get more excited about cooking.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Pay for a couple of Blue Apron deliveries for them (the first few will be free anyway). That's how you get someone to cook.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

TheKingofSprings posted:

Furikake seasoning to put on top of the rice, directions on how to cook fish and vegetables to put on top of the rice, and I’m Just Here for the Food, by Alton Brown. It has fridge magnets included!

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 22, 2016

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

The Professor does not approve of your post.
Lipstick Apathy
A Thai friend of mine mentioned wanting to make some kind of orange cake, but she can't find the right ingredient (some type of orange juice / liquid / extract) and I couldn't get a good enough description from her to understand what it is. I want to try to find it and get it as a gift so I figured I'd start by just trying to find a Thai orange cake online and look at a list of ingredients, but my googling has turned up nothing.

There could be a lot lost to translation here, but I was hoping someone might know what she's talking about because I've hit a dead end just trying to find this dish.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Anyone got a decent waffle batter recipe? The kind you can make of a shuffling bleary eyed morning, not one that needs overnight yeasty resting.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Cavenagh posted:

Anyone got a decent waffle batter recipe? The kind you can make of a shuffling bleary eyed morning, not one that needs overnight yeasty resting.

First, start by making a sourdough starter...

Just kidding.

I've made this recipe before, and it's worked out well. I suspect that any recipe you'd use with the additional step of whipping the egg whites and then folding together will turn out nearly as well.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Cavenagh posted:

2c AP flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs
4 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)

Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Whisk in eggs, milk, butter, and vanilla extract. Pour into waffle iron.

If you're especially clever, you can make the dry mix in advance and write the needed wet ingredients on a sticker on the container you put the dry mix in. If you're really keen, you can make a big batch and just rough-measure 2 cups of mix whenever you prep the batter.

I'll admit it's less fluffy and more crispy but it's also a lot easier than the version with buttermilk, baking soda, and whipped egg whites.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 22, 2016

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Canuck-Errant posted:

2c AP flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs
4 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)

Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Whisk in eggs, milk, butter, and vanilla extract. Pour into waffle iron.

If you're especially clever, you can make the dry mix in advance and write the needed wet ingredients on a sticker on the container you put the dry mix in. If you're really keen, you can make a big batch and just rough-measure 2 cups of mix whenever you prep the batter.

I'll admit it's less fluffy and more crispy but it's also a lot easier than the version with buttermilk, baking soda, and whipped egg whites.

You can even use dry milk and add more water to compensate. It won't affect the flavor at all.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

You can even use dry milk and add more water to compensate. It won't affect the flavor at all.

True, but you'd still have to add the same amount of liquid in the end so it doesn't really save any time or effort.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Canuck-Errant posted:

True, but you'd still have to add the same amount of liquid in the end so it doesn't really save any time or effort.

That really depends on whether you regularly stock milk in your fridge. I generally do not, since I don't use it often and it will go bad.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i've a bag of about 10 dried carolina reapers that i bought for a bet that was overruled from anyone eating them and now idk what to do with them since they're far hotter than anything i'll like. smelling the bag they're in while closed makes your eyes water

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

i've a bag of about 10 dried carolina reapers that i bought for a bet that was overruled from anyone eating them and now idk what to do with them since they're far hotter than anything i'll like. smelling the bag they're in while closed makes your eyes water

Replacement for pocket sand in high-risk areas

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Send them to me

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

what country are you in because if its not too expensive and i don't find another use in the next 2 weeks sure

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I live in California

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

AnonSpore posted:

I live in California

California is not a country... Yet.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

I live in California

ok so it costs basically gently caress all to send them to you. if i find no other use over the holiday period you can have them but you don't have pms and i don't fancy posting an email address here

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Thanks for the waffle recipes. Look like they'll do the job for me.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I have decided that I'm cooking a Christmas Goose this Sunday. I have never cooked goose before, nor have I eaten goose before. I am literally only doing this because the stereotypical Dickensian Christmas has a goose. I know that a ton of fat will render out, but is there a specific recipe that any of you use that will be simple in the hands of a first-timer?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Why do people not cook avacados? Living on an arctic Island means that I've managed to avoid eating them until fairly recently and just scooping it out like it's a green egg is fine but is there something more than just guac ya can make outta them?

I mean, I thought about pureeing them and adding them to curries and poo poo like coconut milk but other than that I'm drawing blanks. Can you oven bake them/fry them like 'taters?

Also what's an easy traditional American Christmas Side-dish? We have a yank over for Christmas and I'm already doing a turkey but are there popular things? I thought about just doing kraft mac and cheese (doing it with real cheese wasn't, appreciated, last time) as I heard that was a thing but nyeeehh.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

The only time I had avocado warm was at a sushi place where they sliced it real thin and did it tempura style. It was more expensive than the shrimp tempura so I ended up never ordering from the place again, but it was pretty good.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I've had fried avocado stuffed with crab meat and shrimp, that was pretty good. I've never actually cooked with them myself but I know it's out there.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Fried avocado tacos are great. Ideally a firm flesh variety with a light batter, a little pickled onion, whatever kind of salsa. Less is more really.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Cooked breakfast for dinner:

Hashbrowns, sharp cheddar, an egg and homemade duck cracklin. All cooked in some duck fat. Thanks charcuterie thread

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Also what's an easy traditional American Christmas Side-dish? We have a yank over for Christmas and I'm already doing a turkey but are there popular things? I thought about just doing kraft mac and cheese (doing it with real cheese wasn't, appreciated, last time) as I heard that was a thing but nyeeehh.

Pretty much anything that goes with a turkey dinner works. Green bean casserole, mashed potato, sweet potato, etc. People from various ethnic backgrounds will have their own traditions, of course. Mom's family is Polish Catholic, and it's not Christmas without mushroom soup, fish, and pierogi; they've never done a turkey or ham for Christmas. For a generic Christmas dinner, green bean casserole and/or mashed potato would be fine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

hogmartin posted:

Pretty much anything that goes with a turkey dinner works. Green bean casserole, mashed potato, sweet potato, etc. People from various ethnic backgrounds will have their own traditions, of course. Mom's family is Polish Catholic, and it's not Christmas without mushroom soup, fish, and pierogi; they've never done a turkey or ham for Christmas. For a generic Christmas dinner, green bean casserole and/or mashed potato would be fine.

Boxed stuffing mix, deviled eggs, rolls, just google 'thanksgiving dinner' or 'christmas dinner' and pick something on the table

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Aight, gonna go wit sweet mashed taters as they are suitably homey for herand exotic for the rest of us

Thanks goons

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

gently caress dinner rolls, I feel like a good Christmas dinner needs a good loaf of bread. From a bakery, if you aren't willing to bake it yourself.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
We have three different types, raisin, 4 grain and rye, as is pretty common hereso we set on that end

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Years ago I had made a slow cooker pork sandwich that was fantastic. It involved brining pork chops in vegetable broth, salt, sugar, and black pepper overnight, then seared the next day and put in the slow cooker with sautéed onions, chicken broth, apple juice, thyme, and more black pepper. The apple juice caused the pork to break apart and be super tender.

If that's what I am going for, how necessary is the brine and sear? Can I just toss the pork chops in the slow cooker with everything else? Do I need to cook the onions first?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Generally they're too lean to slow cook. you'll eventually end up with something that shreds but is actually pretty dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Slow cook pork chops are ok if you cook them with an obscene amount of fluid, like an entire jar of applesauce.

Definitely not the best way to cook chops, though.