Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

spit on my clit posted:

No, but the president of Cage's future america is

The president in that game is like "Hillary Clinton if she were Donald Trump". It's pretty strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm outraged that the sequel to The Last of Us isn't called More of Us.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Shai-Hulud posted:

Uh to gently caress them? Duh!

This literally gets mentioned in-game, if you're just joking. There are actual android brothels in-universe, and Sex Android is an actual manufactured type of android. :shepface:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Don't get me started about Now You See Me 2.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

MrAptronym posted:

I haven't played Detroit, but I watched a full play-through and the writing seemed really bad to me. (I would have bought it to actually play if it didn't.) I actually liked a lot of Connor's scenes, but almost everything with Kara and Marcus was hackneyed and the dialogue is unconvincing. The world itself didn't really feel convincing or coherent to me in lots of small ways. I'd say the writing isn't David Cage's worst, but I probably had more audible groans from this one than any of his other games.

If you are looking for a small dumb thing to drag the game down though: They are patching the game so that you can undo the big fourth wall breaking moral choice of freeing your android game menu slave, completely undermining the meaning behind this decision and any impact it may have. They explain that "The original Chloe will still be free" though.

poo poo, the trophy is to kill her. I’m gonna do this FAST.

Seriously it’s a good game. I don’t know why you guys are complain...it’s the complain thread.

Real complaint: it’s the same as HR and BTS but you have to play many chapters over again (like play 3 chapters in a row) to get certain stuff due to your decisions. I also don’t know if choosing “don’t save” affects my ability to get the trophies.

Another thing: when you load a chapter/checkpoint the default option is to “SAVE PROGRESS” and I’m paranoid I’m gonna accidentally select that and lose all my end game progress. Why can’t the default be DONT SAVE.

And my dumb cat needs to stop rubbing on my phone cause it’s hard to type you stupid face.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Yardbomb posted:

Because all his other games start strong and then go completely down the toilet, while this one was just pretty good throughout. I wanted to hate the game and ended up liking it. :shrug:

This.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Far Cry 5 has a weird thing where it practically never gives you ammo for your primary weapons through the first part the game. You hardly find any when clearing out what are supposed to be enemy strongholds and a lot of encounters require you to shoot out tires on cars or blowing up gas tanks other objectives that generally require spraying lots of bullets.

I don't know if I'm just stupid, but I routinely struggled with story missions at the start because I just didn't have enough ammo to wipe out an outpost, and restocking ammo at your base was prohibitively expensive.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Aleph Null posted:

That was released in my country as Aha! Then, There's More You See Me Now due to a really complicated rights issue

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm really enjoying pretty much everything about DiRT 3... except the announcer buddy surfer guy is the most obnoxious prick I've ever heard.

He constantly calls you "amigo" and after every race pipes up with grating pseudo-motivational garbage and says "BRO, AWESOME, you should totally upload that to YouTube!" gently caress OFF.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The first boss of Nioh is an absolute rear end in a top hat. He's a giant oni that has two steel balls chained to his arms. His first phase isn't very hard, he's slow and if you get careless he can spin around and do an AoE attack. The thing is that after doing some damage, the chains break. If it were just the case of him getting faster and having different moves, it'd be okay; the problem is that one of his new moves is grabbing one of the steel balls and throwing it at you and unless you dodge at the last second, you'll get hit and it does tons of damage, knocks you down, and he can do another if the other ball is close enough. Worst of all, if he's begins doing the animation and you run behind him, he'll throw the ball forward and it'll go backwards and hit you

The only way I could beat him was charging my Limit Break beforehand, beating his first phase with only normal attacks, unleashing all the special moves on him during the second phase and then throwing bombs on his face, and even then it was a close call.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

You know how a lot of action games have basically a 'gatekeeper' boss? Onryoki is that, except he's the first boss of the game proper. :v:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Get used to fighting Onryoki because the game loves to throw him at you as a mini-boss. Once you understand all his moves he’s absolutely trivial to kill though.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

You know how a lot of action games have basically a 'gatekeeper' boss? Onryoki is that, except he's the first boss of the game proper. :v:

And he's immediately followed by Hino-Enma, who's EVEN MORE of a 'gatekeeper' boss. Many of the bosses that follow are downright easy in comparison.

Nioh is a great game but boy does it have a weird difficulty curve.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ShootaBoy posted:

Picked up both Killzone and Titanfall 2 during this PS4 sale, and I expect I'll have more to add later, but for now Killzone is the only one that actually gave me something to play when it said it had stuff ready, so...

Why the gently caress have you tied my ability to see enemies around me to the loving dpad Killzone? Why do I need to hold down right, losing my ability to move in order to press right on the dpad? Why does it only go out so far? Why do I have to hold the drat button to send out the sight wave? Why, if I hold it too long, does it short out and also alert nearby enemies? And loving why does it just not work sometimes? It's like it has a really inconsistent recharge after use, because I can spam it one minute and then the next it's making me wait 30 seconds between uses.

And then just to compound all that, the first level is set in a big, open forested area at loving sunset, so it's even harder to see the enemies in between all of the bushes loving glowing orange in the bloomy sunlight. :rant:

It's been too long since I've played Killzone: Shadow Fall to remember the controls much, but I seem to remember being okay with them... The biggest annoyance I had with the enemy sight wave ability is that it kinda broke my immersion. Like, I'd be in one section of a level, clear out all the enemies so the space was empty, then open a door or hit a switch, and I could actually see new enemies appearing from no where due to the OWL scanner.

The level design thing kind of makes sense since I believe it was Guerrilla's first go at more open arenas. All of their previous games, whether it was the rest of the Killzones or Shellshock Nam 67, were super linear. Shadow Fall was their first real attempt at that kind of level design and it's janky as gently caress in places. I'm 99% sure Killzone: Shadow Fall was just the devs cutting their teeth on the PS4 before moving on to do Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Every time I try to play something like grim dawn or path of exile I do fine for a while until I hit a roadblock at some point so I look up a build and always end up with the question "what do I do for the midpoint" and "whats a good thing to keep in mind to avoid screwing myself" and I can never find the answer to that.

It's more of a personal thing because I really do enjoy these games but good lord do I struggle sometimes.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I didn't really have any issues with Grim Dawn, and it's the only ARPG I've finished. I played the gunslinger class and pretty much put as many different kinds of damage I could on my normal attack, although that led me to just holding the left mouse button for most of the game. The ridiculous chain of damage was a neat spectacle but somewhat repetitive.

Samuringa has a new favorite as of 03:21 on Jun 15, 2018

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Zoig posted:

Every time I try to play something like grim dawn or path of exile I do fine for a while until I hit a roadblock at some point so I look up a build and always end up with the question "what do I do for the midpoint" and "whats a good thing to keep in mind to avoid screwing myself" and I can never find the answer to that.

It's more of a personal thing because I really do enjoy these games but good lord do I struggle sometimes.

For PoE it's mostly about keeping your resistances maxed, a decent amount of health and leech/regen (probably leech). 150-180 inc life is, or at least was, a decent end goal, so about 100-120 come level 40-50 should see you through.

Also some of the newer bosses just suck a lot and your build might be fine otherwise but struggle a lot with them. It's just tedium if you're playing softcore, at least.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Zinkraptor posted:

And he's immediately followed by Hino-Enma, who's EVEN MORE of a 'gatekeeper' boss. Many of the bosses that follow are downright easy in comparison.

Nioh is a great game but boy does it have a weird difficulty curve.

Well yeah it's a team ninja game. Ninja Gaiden was exactly the same, frontloaded with absolute rear end in a top hat bosses then the difficulty plateaus to the point where the second half of the game is a complete breeze.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

oldpainless posted:

The 2013 tomb raider is superior to rise of the tomb raider in every way

Having played up to 20% of ROTR now, I wholeheartedly agree. I mean ROTR is the same game but with more cruft and a less compelling storyline. The graphics and animations are fine, though.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

So many videogames have a very overt feel of being designed by committee - look at the Tomb Raider complaints on this page, or look at any Ubisoft game. There's a clusterfuck of features that are crammed in just because every other game of the moment is doing them - semi-open world, objectives that reveal part of the map, gratuitous crafting. Before that it was regenerating health, physics manipulations. Every game follows the same basic rhythms, the same basic plots. Even games with relatively interesting settings or aesthetics (Dishonored, Mirror's Edge) just rehash the same stuff.

I feel so over AAA open-world games right now. I quit even looking at AssCreed games after the third one. It just felt they were stretching the gameplay out as much as possible for lacking original ideas. I think I will even skip Far Cry 5, I got so bored with 4 (which was just rehashing the cool parts about 3 (faction wars, controversial protagonist character development) with incremental improvements and a new setting. Likewise with the Shadow of Mordor sequel - yeah the nemesis system was cool one time, get over it and come up with a new idea please.

Being a PC gamer, I had never really looked into The Last of Us until the E3 gameplay trailer for the sequel made headlines. Watching it (see below) after having just played ROTR, I feel cheated. The way the combat scenes play out are amazing compared to the repetitive and unrealistic jankiness of tomb raider. Also, getting you to already care about the characters after a 3 minute reveal video is a real achievement of writing.

I mean, ROTR (like the other recent open world games) is not bad, but it's extremely workmanlike and predictable. There is so far nothing about the plot which is not already a video game trope. Every gameplay element has been done before, and usually better. At least you don't climb towers to reveal the map. I guess I should be happy about that? Instead there is inexplicably a very detailed map just lying around each area, which points you to all the secret hidden ancient artifacts, caves, quest points and ammo boxes. Who the gently caress is supposed to have drawn that map and why didn't that person collect all the artifacts? It's less annoying than the towers though because it wastes less of my time.

Why no PC release of Last of Us 2????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btmN-bWwv0A

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Naughty Dog is funded by Sony so their games have been playstation exclusive for decades.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Don't get me wrong because Naughty Dog does some great work, but that TLOU2 demo is also curated as hell. Those seamless animation transitions between Ellie getting thrown through a store display with perfect camera adjustments just ain't gonna happen in the finished product.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

exquisite tea posted:

Don't get me wrong because Naughty Dog does some great work, but that TLOU2 demo is also curated as hell. Those seamless animation transitions between Ellie getting thrown through a store display with perfect camera adjustments just ain't gonna happen in the finished product.

I'm never gonna be playing it anyway so just let me have this dream, OK?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Yakuza 0 is coming to PC and the next great Recession is on the cards, so anything's possible.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Aleph Null posted:

And The Last Exorcism 2.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

They might be using those accessibility options to keep the camera focusing automaticly

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's more than just simple camera snapping though, it's the way it dynamically zooms in and out both with regard for Ellie's own contextual actions and those of her enemies. I don't want to rain on anybody's parade because TLOU2 will probably look quite good but the kind of seamless animation blending on display here is definitely idealized. You're not going to get perfect cloth physics and full screen space reflections in thick foliage areas on a PS4 chipset.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Zoig posted:

At least for PoE, there are plenty of guides that have "here's the build at 10, 20, etc" sections, although after patches those sections are iffy. Just look through that and try to figure out what they're going for, and it'll carry you to the end of the story. It is a very foreknowledge-required to make sure you have any fun kind of game, though.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

glad she is dead posted:

I'm really enjoying pretty much everything about DiRT 3... except the announcer buddy surfer guy is the most obnoxious prick I've ever heard.

He constantly calls you "amigo" and after every race pipes up with grating pseudo-motivational garbage and says "BRO, AWESOME, you should totally upload that to YouTube!" gently caress OFF.

Are you on PC? Because you can just delete the speech file and shut everyone up forever (except the rally companion who is thankfully in a different file)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Likewise with the Shadow of Mordor sequel - yeah the nemesis system was cool one time, get over it and come up with a new idea please.

NO, use it more is what I wanna gripe about, the Mordor thread was talkin about it not that long ago but there's other settings they could do where a nemesis system would be genius, make a gladiator game with it and let the game be constant feuds, rivalries, team-ups and sneakier poo poo via the nemesis stuff.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

I tried to google there but can't find much on which enemies specifically cause it or when it starts showing up. I think it shows up in Giruvegan at least and a lot of the later hunts and espers love inflicting it. A lot of those enemies KO you super fast even at high levels which is fine because by then you can kind of treat as a status effect because your Phoenix Downs are better and you have characters with full life spells. Disease fucks you up though because all those items/spells restore 1HP and often the character is KO'd again before you can can use the Serum to cure it.

e: I was playing Zodiac age so it's possible it became more prevalent in this release though it for sure existed in PS2 era and the item was called Vaccine back then
I'm sure it existed, original-flavor FFXII can actually be pretty brutal.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Yardbomb posted:

NO, use it more is what I wanna gripe about, the Mordor thread was talkin about it not that long ago but there's other settings they could do where a nemesis system would be genius, make a gladiator game with it and let the game be constant feuds, rivalries, team-ups and sneakier poo poo via the nemesis stuff.

Yeah, why not that instead of rehashing the same thing. Sounds cool and I wanna see that mod thanks.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Convex posted:

Are you on PC? Because you can just delete the speech file and shut everyone up forever (except the rally companion who is thankfully in a different file)

Thanks so much for this.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Convex posted:

This is so useful it should be in the OP.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

glad she is dead posted:

Thanks so much for this.

No probs! Also don't forget the Any Car Any Track mod https://www.gamepressure.com/download.asp?ID=60927

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Castlevania: Curse of the Moon

the stage 4 boss is just bad.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
PYF thing dragging this game down: it's bad

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
To be more specific, what I'm going to say relates to the hard mode version of the boss

It's a two-headed dragon, both on the right side of the map. The top one shoots exploding bubbles at you while the other spits out a giant fire beam for about five seconds. Unless you have the sorcerer (Must have his ice spell equipped), or have Zangetsu fully powered up, I see no way to not take damage from the first form of the boss. The second form of the boss has you on a platform, and beneath the platform is a giant row of chompers that pop up in a wave after the giant dragon head is done blowing out a giant beam of fire (hard mode beam requires you to be crouching to avoid damage), now unless you're at the back of this platform, you'll need to immediately jump the moment he stops firing the beam, or else you will be hit. If you're at the back of the platform, good luck having enough time to get to the tiny platform where you can damage the head before he fires his beam again. The only thing I've done that works is using the freezing spell to stop him while I get over to him, and since the run I'm doing doesn't have him, I don't know what I could do to defeat this boss.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The House of the Dead: The Second Story

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah, it's kind of crazy to me that people were complaining that a lot of Shadow of War's content was "just" navigating the Nemesis system because the Nemesis system is the game; without it's just another (highly polished) open world stealth-action Ubisoft style game with Arkham combat and a terrible story. I'd be happy to buy a new game of that with some new maps and additional content every few years for a long, long time before I got bored of it. Especially if they continue expanding the scope and made an actual Mount & Blade style war/siege game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I want an Arkham game where I'm Spider-Man. Only without the grimness of Batman crippling guys for life.

Or joke answer: Persona Spider-Man edition. By day you navigate social links and school by night you fight crime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Len posted:

I want an Arkham game where I'm Spider-Man. Only without the grimness of Batman crippling guys for life.

Good news! Exactly this is being released this fall on the PS4