Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

less laughter posted:

Might that scholar be one of the Poké Professors we already know, like Elm or Rowan?

it was me im dead and im very sensitive about it you jerk

remember to like comment and subscribe my Ruggtrios(patent pending)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

tag urself, I'm the coquettish one in the bottom left

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I'm the Joltik biting the top middle Pikachu's head under the hat.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Bogart posted:

hosed up that pikachu is using the balloon of the superior mimikyu to lift itself up. trampling the common mon again you soulless corporate shill

One of those balloons also has a ditto face

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

hangedman1984 posted:

One of those balloons also has a ditto face

And the third one is a Zoroark.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

more megastones if thats your thing

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/add-a-handful-of-mega-stones-to-your-game/

blaziken and swampert and sceptile and banette and camerupt

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I really hope Ultra just has these stones from the start. I really miss the tourneys giving out unique* pokemon as prizes instead.

*Unique as far as having unnatural moves, or being based on (sometimes) really creative VGC entrants, and so on.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Bogart posted:

hosed up that pikachu is using the balloon of the superior mimikyu to lift itself up. trampling the common mon again you soulless corporate shill

TBF there's also a Dittochu balloon

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The next game should be a gen 1 "remake" that takes place in PokéChina and all of the Pokémon are Mimikyu-style knockoffs of the original 151

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

less laughter posted:

Really though, Mimikyu is just trying to earn your trust and empathy so that once it lives in your house it can drop its disguise and kill you in your sleep. It's definitely the most treacherous mon, a true evil spirit fairy. Its anime depiction is spot on.

I also like that its Pokédex entry is a miniature short story:

Might that scholar be one of the Poké Professors we already know, like Elm or Rowan?

The best thing about Pokedex entries is that they're written exactly like the kind of bullshit kids would make up to tell each other. It's basically a My Uncle At The Pokemon Lab story.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
How do Pokémon interact with held items?

Do they hold them in their little hands or are they hung from a collar?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Xander B Coolridge posted:

There was a side anime with MegaCharizard wearing it's stone on some chest harness looking thing.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Pokemon with berries hold them in their mouths until it's time to use them.

The talented ones can still use Bite and Crunch while doing this.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Haifisch posted:

Hydreigon's favorite party trick

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I would actually say they don't because as sad as it is, Pokemon are not real.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Hustlin Floh posted:

But you went and typed it instead; curious. Perhaps you're masking the fact you are not real, either.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Depends on the thing. Some things are obviously clothing. e.g. a Bisharp with sunglasses. A Sandshrew in the anime is wearing a muscle belt for EV training. Stuff like that. Otherwise hand, collar, mouth, in a hat, just leaving it on the floor to use in the middle of the fight cos its running around all over the place. Whatever your imagination desires.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Haifisch posted:

Bug Bite is suddenly a lot grosser.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Hustlin Floh posted:

Hey friend, you seem like a smart guy so I just wanted to let you know: the streets of Pallet Town aren't exactly safe, and people wind up hurt all the time just by little accidents, you see? I wouldn't want that to happen to you, an accident that is, so it might be best if you leave. Forever.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

less laughter posted:

tag urself, I'm the coquettish one in the bottom left

I'm the upper right one always sleeping due to complications of asthma and muscle relaxers

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

EthanSteele posted:

Depends on the thing. Some things are obviously clothing. e.g. a Bisharp with sunglasses. A Sandshrew in the anime is wearing a muscle belt for EV training. Stuff like that. Otherwise hand, collar, mouth, in a hat, just leaving it on the floor to use in the middle of the fight cos its running around all over the place. Whatever your imagination desires.

You never see any Garchomps with a cute little scarf is all

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Be the change you want to see.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

[x]

:sun:

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

This is the reply I was waiting for, thank you.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
luminous moss is the only cool item all the other ones are lame

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

How much does a single Quiver Dance boost a 'mon's stats by? Say I have a Venomoth who has a base total of 450, he sets up a dance and manages to tank a hit to make it to the next turn.

What's that 450 gonna be on turn 2? I've never been able to gauge the stat boosts since the game only gives vague descriptions of how high they raise a certain stat level

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I am Reverend posted:

luminous moss is the only cool item all the other ones are lame

actually, I think you'll find that choice band is the most fun pokemon item

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Parrotine posted:

How much does a single Quiver Dance boost a 'mon's stats by? Say I have a Venomoth who has a base total of 450, he sets up a dance and manages to tank a hit to make it to the next turn.

What's that 450 gonna be on turn 2? I've never been able to gauge the stat boosts since the game only gives vague descriptions of how high they raise a certain stat level

Each "stage" of a boost is 50 percentage points. So a single boost is +50%, two boosts is +100%, etc. If a move increases a stat by two stages (e.g. swords dance) it'll say the stat was "sharply increased" or something like that. There's another phrase that means a 3-stage increase but I think that only shows up on Z-splash.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

cheetah7071 posted:

3-stage increase but I think that only shows up on Z-splash.

Cotton Guard and Tail Glow too.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

cheetah7071 posted:

Each "stage" of a boost is 50 percentage points. So a single boost is +50%, two boosts is +100%, etc. If a move increases a stat by two stages (e.g. swords dance) it'll say the stat was "sharply increased" or something like that. There's another phrase that means a 3-stage increase but I think that only shows up on Z-splash.

Also on Cotton Guard and Tail Glow. It says drastically.

Ninja: efb

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
cotton guard raises your defense by three boys too, and hopefully your altaria can use all those green numbers to distract low ladder players long enough that they don't realize they have three steel types

e: i got beat a lot but i'm the only one who talked about altaria

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I might be talking out of my rear end but I seem to remember in gen 5 they came up with several different intensifiers to describe stats rising 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 levels because they had that weird battle style nobody ever used where you could use crazy items on your mons.

for raised stat levels, the system is that you multiply by a fraction which starts off at 2 / 2 (i.e. 1). If you have +ve stat levels then you increase the numerator by the number of levels. If you have -ve stat levels then you increase the denominator by the number of levels. Except Evasion and Accuracy work the same but the base fraction is 3 / 3 instead.

For calculating the base stat total equivalent for a mon that has had stat boosts - it's a bit complicated because you have to take into account the EVs of the monster. If you gave the mon EVs in Attack and it gets a 1-level Attack boost, then its Attack stat will have risen by 50%, but it's not equivalent to having a 50% higher base stat in Attack, because the contribution from the EVs is boosted as well, so it's rather more than that.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Easy way to figure out stat boosts and drops is having neutral as 2/2 and every boost increases the top number, so 3/2, 4/2, etc, while drops lower the bottom number, so 2/3, 2/4, etc.

Accuracy and evasion are the same, but starts at 3/3 instead and follows the same formula.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oyster posted:

Also on Cotton Guard and Tail Glow. It says drastically.

Ninja: efb

Well, there is one other way to see it.

Crosspeice posted:

Easy way to figure out stat boosts and drops is having neutral as 2/2 and every boost increases the top number, so 3/2, 4/2, etc, while drops lower the bottom number, so 2/3, 2/4, etc.

Accuracy and evasion are the same, but starts at 3/3 instead and follows the same formula.

So a pokemon which has had its Attack stat raised by one stage (200 * 3/2 = 300) will do more damage than a pokemon which has had its Attack raised by 2 and then lowered by one? (200 * 4/3 = ~270)

Ariong fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 26, 2017

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Ariong posted:

So a pokemon which has had its Attack stat raised by one stage (200 * 3/2 = 300) will do more damage than a pokemon which has had its Attack raised by 2 and then lowered by one? (200 * 4/3 = ~270)

No, the +2 will just become +1, or the 3/2 value.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Ariong posted:

No, if its stat was raised 2 and then lowered 1 then the net effect is it's been raised by one, so it's 3/2.

code:
-6 => 2/8
-5 => 2/7
-4 => 2/6
-3 => 2/5
-2 => 2/4
-1 => 2/3
 0 => 2/2
 1 => 3/2
 2 => 4/2
 3 => 5/2
 4 => 6/2
 5 => 7/2
 6 => 8/2

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Belly Drum "maximizes" attack, meaning 6 stages.

Edit: Looks like 3 and 4 are both "Drastically" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIwTNFAjDJI

Alpha Phoenix fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 27, 2017

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
New Ditto regional variant?

https://twitter.com/doodlefrog/status/879461102987264000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Belly Drum "maximizes" attack, meaning 6 stages.

Edit: Looks like 3 and 4 are both "Drastically" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIwTNFAjDJI

Belly Drum technically gives +12; allowing you to recover from any attack drops!