Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Measure....garlic? Hell naw just dump that poo poo in until you feel like there’s enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Platystemon posted:

How else would you measure garlick? It’s an irregular solid. :confused:
They're saying the amount of spices is way too low because the BBC is conservative/boring

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The BBC has a big recipe site in the UK which avoids all this bullshit thankfully, but they don't contain much detail beyond the basic instructions si if you want to try and understand a technique you have to venture into American SEO space which sucks.

Most recipe sites that aren't an individual person are fine with this, and the recipes are generally better thought out than the "boring suburban mom's long winded diary and oh yeah a recipe i guess" sites. They do a bad job in general of SEO though, so I find I have to put the site name into Google to find them.

- Bon Appetit has maybe a paragraph of bullshit per recipe, but it's always about the food itself.
- Serious Eats has great (if a bit overly complex) recipes, and while they do have a large amount of non-recipe text, it's almost always in a connected article, is always about the food, and is always interesting.
- AllRecipes is probably the closest to a "food wiki" and has zero bullshit. The recipes are hit and miss, and it is the epicentre of the insane sort of recipe reviews where people substitute every single ingredient, so it's hard to gauge what's actually good, but hey, no bullshit.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I thought it was a complaint about customary cooking units. :shobon:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

devmd01 posted:

Measure....garlic? Hell naw just dump that poo poo in until you feel like there’s enough.

And then add in some extra just to be sure.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Garlic and vanilla are the two ingredients where any measure next to them should be treated as a suggestion of the absolute minimum.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EoinCannon posted:

And you have to adjust all the recipes the account for the "half a clove of garlic and 1/8th tsp of cayenne" BBC conservatism

Same thing with all of Jamie Oliver's recipes, I think it's a British thing, because some of them consider bell peppers to be too spicy.

But if we're talking about online recipe sources that are awesome (with additional writing, even!) and contain proper seasoning, I really like Original Flava.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

EDIT: wrong thread.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

PT6A posted:

Same thing with all of Jamie Oliver's recipes, I think it's a British thing, because some of them consider bell peppers to be too spicy.

But if we're talking about online recipe sources that are awesome (with additional writing, even!) and contain proper seasoning, I really like Original Flava.

lol at americans thinking the british don't like spice or flavour, when we invaded countries to bring their spicer food back home.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Line Feed posted:

"Infotainment" is a digusting word. Any hosed up marketing buzzword that these filthy tech types make up by slamming two words together like that is disgusting. I hate these people.

Portmantech.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Nothingtoseehere posted:

lol at americans thinking the british don't like spice or flavour, when we invaded countries to bring their spicer food back home.

Indian food is to Britain what Mexican food is to the US imo

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Nothingtoseehere posted:

They brought it, and then used it in exceedingly small quantities. Also, I'm not American.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Was in England a couple of years ago and my grandmother hadn't tried the pasta she made my vegetarian cousin and I because she'd put garlic in and that made it too spicy.

It's typically one way or another, people there love spices and can't get enough, or never touch anything with my flavour than a roast.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Weatherman posted:

Oh I am so stealing this phrase.

Grammar error and all? :smith:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nothingtoseehere posted:

i get the point you think you're making, but what i hear is "british food is so bland and boring that sailing halfway around the world to invade another country just for some spices to make it a little less suicide-inducing seems like a wise use of lives and effort"

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Isn't the 'bland british food' thing just because of war/post war rationing?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
ah so they're still at war/ in a forever war huh?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Yea, the american opinion is since a mass of them were over here in WW2 when we had rationing so food was enough, but flavour from sugar/fats/spices was low as they were rationed. Some level of rationing continued till 1954, so 15 years of it did damage the skill of British chefs in the era, although it's no worse than american home cooking now.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

PhazonLink posted:

ah so they're still at war/ in a forever war huh?

I knew someone would miss the point and say this...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Oldelpaso.co.uk

Now, I see Mild all the time, but extra mild?

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 12, 2020

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Mister Facetious posted:

Oldelpaso.co.uk

Now, I see Mild all the time, but extra mild?

Is that a cucumber to help cool it off?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
you say you like spicy food, but things that aren't spicy exist, care to explain??

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've found lots of recipes on English websites that have a normal amount of spices, The Guardian for example. After making a fair few from the BBC though, I think they err on the conservative side is all.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Foods from some places are milder than foods from other places. Does it tell us anything useful about those places or is it just an inane observation?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Owling Howl posted:

Foods from some places are milder than foods from other places. Does it tell us anything useful about those places or is it just an inane observation?

If you can't handle 3 ghost peppers up the anus for breakfast every day you are a goddamn coward!

(Yeah, I don't think it means much of anything either).

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

enki42 posted:

"food wiki"

Did someone say "food wiki" ?

http://goonswithspoons.com/Welcome_to_Goons_With_Spoons

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I’m not like other whites people, I eat lots of garlic and hot sauce

-every white person on earth

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I’m not like other whites people, I eat lots of garlic and hot sauce

-every white person on earth

Things white people like: paying $20 for a bottle of artisanal hot sauce and leaving it untouched in their fridge because they can’t cook.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

cowofwar posted:

Things white people like: paying $20 for a bottle of artisanal hot sauce and leaving it untouched in their fridge because they can’t cook.

*Only uses it for scrambled eggs*

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Yea, the american opinion is since a mass of them were over here in WW2 when we had rationing so food was enough, but flavour from sugar/fats/spices was low as they were rationed. Some level of rationing continued till 1954, so 15 years of it did damage the skill of British chefs in the era, although it's no worse than american home cooking now.

Eh, there's also some stuff where some British people boil/roast the everloving poo poo out of meats to the point where shoe leather seems like filet mignon in comparison. Is it a deserved stereotype? No idea, but a couple of my friends have family from the UK that cook that way, so anecdotally it's been something I've seen.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Julia Child posted:

The English, according to the French, boil everything, thus anything boiled (or poached) and served simply is à l'anglaise in French cuisine.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Haha nice.

Also laffo at people white knighting the loving English peoples’ cuisine of all things. They’re good without you bud.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The solid food is just for show, as you know none of us Brits have any teeth so we drink a liquidised slurry when you aren't looking.

If you looking for pasta recipes there are lots on Italian websites, if you search for the Italian words you get good recipes without Americans subbing in unrelated ingredients.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

The solid food is just for show, as you know none of us Brits have any teeth so we drink a liquidised slurry when you aren't looking.

If you looking for pasta recipes there are lots on Italian websites, if you search for the Italian words you get good recipes without Americans subbing in unrelated ingredients.

My fav thing about that stereotype is that the stats have the average Brit with more of their teeth left than the average American. It's just that America is more about the flashy white grins.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I argue us brits have loads of amazing individual dishes and export a lot of it (chocolate and cheese are two good examples) but I do agree with don't have this love and passion about cooking that say the French or Italians do and it leads to a lot of kids growing up not really knowing how to cook well.

Senor Tron posted:

My fav thing about that stereotype is that the stats have the average Brit with more of their teeth left than the average American. It's just that America is more about the flashy white grins.

The flashy white US celeb smile is mostly pleasant, however I've seen quite the number of them (mostly news broadcasters for some reason) who have taken it to ridiculous degrees where it makes their teeth look like plastic. Almost like the mouth equivalent of huge fake tits.

I've always wondered were the stereotype came from about the teeth. Compared to the rest of Europe, British teeth are no different. I'd guess maybe its because of the Americans consuming so much British TV and music that it just got stuck on us? Who knows, frankly as a country who invaded and occupied over half the world, often in incredibly brutal ways, having 'bad teeth' and 'bad food' the things people most associate with is us is getting off incredibly lightly.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 13, 2020

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Mega Comrade posted:

Who knows, frankly as a country who invaded and occupied over half the world, often in incredibly brutal ways, having 'bad teeth' and 'bad food' the things people most associate with is us is getting off incredibly lightly.

This German is jealous. Though luckily yanks think Bavaria is all of Germany, when it isn't even German to begin with, so at least we have some ablative armour for some of the crimes against humanity people think we've committed.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Mega Comrade posted:

I've always wondered were the stereotype came from about the teeth. Compared to the rest of Europe, British teeth are no different.

The story I've heard is that because dental care wasn't initially covered on the NHS, before the flouridation of water supplies, the average British wartime/post-war diet did a number on dental health?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC the stereotype for British cooking being awful long predates WW2.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lol. Glass houses, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Ghost Leviathan posted:

https://youtu.be/9tzUrtJAZcc

I watched that whole series on YouTube and it’s horrifying