Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Just popping in to say that so far, bows completely trivialize enemy layout in DS2, like the Wharf area for example. You don't even need to kill any of them with the bow, just pulling the enemies one by one completely negates the tricky ambushes. I know this should be obvious but I was completely blown away by how easy it was.

Also, poison arrows. Holy poo poo poison arrows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

Please consult a therapist

It's the game going "here's some horrible weather, deal with it" that just clicks for me, and I really can't think of many games that do it. L4D2 is the only other one that comes to mind, though I'm certain there's others.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
There's a hot, new guest in the podcast: Matt McMucles! Hope we see him again sometime.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

HoboTech posted:

Just popping in to say that so far, bows completely trivialize enemy layout in DS2, like the Wharf area for example. You don't even need to kill any of them with the bow, just pulling the enemies one by one completely negates the tricky ambushes. I know this should be obvious but I was completely blown away by how easy it was.

Also, poison arrows. Holy poo poo poison arrows.

Yeah, won't lie I feel like a cheap rear end with how i've abused some areas with a bow.

That said, there's some areas that seem downright obnoxious or unfair without resorting to this sort of thing.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Pigbuster posted:

It's the game going "here's some horrible weather, deal with it" that just clicks for me, and I really can't think of many games that do it. L4D2 is the only other one that comes to mind, though I'm certain there's others.

Spec Ops: The Line has some really good sandstorms that just make everything horrible for everyone. But, yeah, I get where you're coming from. It adds a layer to the stage when it ends up fighting against you like that, not just being dangerous but actively trying to ruin you. That being said, I don't think Blighttown really does that for me. Its just a slog, and it doesn't help that its a near-essential farming spot.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Please talk about the Superbowl, Pirates 5 and Transformers 5, dear Zaibatsu.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Good luck with that Grouchio, I'm rooting for you.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, won't lie I feel like a cheap rear end with how i've abused some areas with a bow.

That said, there's some areas that seem downright obnoxious or unfair without resorting to this sort of thing.

DS2 has a lot of good points, but relies the most heavily on the crutch of "These enemies aren't challenging at all, so fight 9 of them", and I wouldn't begrudge you for cheesing those scenarios because you're not denying yourself challenge, you're just bypassing poor encounter design.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Grouchio posted:

Please talk about the Superbowl, Pirates 5 and Transformers 5, dear Zaibatsu.

:raise:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

They are topical things that just occured that I wanted to hear their opinion/responses on, what's strange about that?

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, completely agreed on all counts.

But hey, at least we aren't filthy scumbag magic users.

Edit: Do Canadians even care about the Super Bowl?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
People near the U.S. border probably do, down here in the Mexico-US border there is a certain level of caring for it, so I assume that Canadians that go to NYC often might also care. The Zaibatsu? lolno. It's cute when americans think that the Super Bowl is a big sports event, tho.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Grouchio posted:

They are topical things that just occured that I wanted to hear their opinion/responses on, what's strange about that?

You are weirdly obsessed with their opinions on everything, dude

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015
You know, all these years I thought the guys still liked the look of Drawn to Death and I'm glad they finally came around to realizing it looks like hot trash garbage.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

People near the U.S. border probably do, down here in the Mexico-US border there is a certain level of caring for it, so I assume that Canadians that go to NYC often might also care. The Zaibatsu? lolno. It's cute when americans think that the Super Bowl is a big sports event, tho.

It's the international version of "YOU'VE NEVER WATCHED DEATH NOTE!?"

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

HoboTech posted:

:golfclap:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HoboTech posted:

Great now i'm imagining John Madden going "YOU NEVER WATCHED THE SUPER BOWL?" at...I dunno Wayne Gretsky or someone and I can't stop cracking up at work.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

Angry_Ed posted:

Great now i'm imagining John Madden going "YOU NEVER WATCHED THE SUPER BOWL?" at...I dunno Wayne Gretsky or someone and I can't stop cracking up at work.
Oh man, I heard it in his voice. Imagining Gretzky wincing in disgust while Madden's spittle flies in his face is making me giggle.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

TaurusOxford posted:

That is easily the worst area in the franchise. How that even got approved to be put into the game baffles me.

IMO ReindeerHell isn't anywhere near as bad as the Rusted Corridor or whatever the gently caress it's called. Satans Rusty Balloon Knot. That area sucked major D, especially when the pay off is a recolour of a meh boss anyway.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Motherfuckers here in Australia wont shut up about the Superbowl, so...

Fake e: And no, not just because of that loving horrendous Yellow Tail wine ad.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

DumbparameciuM posted:

IMO ReindeerHell isn't anywhere near as bad as the Rusted Corridor or whatever the gently caress it's called.

At least in that area you can actually SEE. I'll take that any day over getting killed by the invisible reindeer gank squad.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Captain Baal posted:

You are weirdly obsessed with their opinions on everything, dude
They are a fun and interesting group of folks to get opinions from because listening to them is amazing.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

American football and the superbowl has pretty decent pull in Canada from my experience. I doubt we're as crazy as americans but I do see some degree of advertising and the sorts of displays in grocery stores sometimes.

I just dont think the best friends have ever signaled they're big into sports, outside of the token Canadian "woo hockey" kind of stuff.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

American football and the superbowl has pretty decent pull in Canada from my experience. I doubt we're as crazy as americans but I do see some degree of advertising and the sorts of displays in grocery stores sometimes.

I just dont think the best friends have ever signaled they're big into sports, outside of the token Canadian "woo hockey" kind of stuff.

and who cares what a bunch of habs fans say about hockey.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Just admit you want them to talk about the halftime commercials and politics, it's more honest that way. Because I doubt many people care about the sport at all outside this one event.
By the way football is played with your feet.

HGH fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 7, 2017

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

kojicolnair posted:

and who cares what a bunch of habs fans say about hockey.

At least they're not leafs fans.

Also, add Brume Peak to my list of DS2 zones that'd I like visually, but hate for the enemies. The skeletons loving suck to deal with in anything greater then 1 or 2.

E: Also, gently caress everything about NPC invasions in 2.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 7, 2017

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Sounds like someone doesn't like good ol' Maldron the Assassin.

Also has Pat been high or something while recording recent LPs? There's something... off about him. He seems hyper attentive but also not.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

HGH posted:

Also has Pat been high or something while recording recent LPs? There's something... off about him. He seems hyper attentive but also not.

Having a massively hosed sleep schedule and drinking nothing but Red Bulls will tend to do that to a person.

edit: Also, Jesus H. loving Christ. Max has gotten like 5,000 dollars in donations streaming Nioh tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wJ5nl9vguQ

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 7, 2017

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Does each DLC have one or something?

Also what's the deal with the DLC lobby areas with the "this message is being channelled from far away" soapstones?

IIRC, it's like a "demo" version where you can summon people that don't own the DLC for some fights. I've never seen it actually used and the DLC are included in like every version of the game now anyway.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Oxyclean posted:

Does each DLC have one or something?

Also what's the deal with the DLC lobby areas with the "this message is being channelled from far away" soapstones?

The idea behind those tombstone areas is that people who didn't own the DLC could still be summoned in to help with the "co-op challenge" areas. IF YA NEED HELP IN DaS2 THAT IS, YA BIG PEJORATIVE*. You'll notice the tombstones at the start of especially trying sections in the DLC, you'll also notice that (at least in the base game) they were located below dead drops and stuff so the Poors who didn't own the DLC yet could only see that specific co-op focused area. Totally pointless if you own SotFS since it includes all the DLC anyway as Foxhound pointed out.

*There is no shame in summoning help for those areas**, especially for Reindeerfuck Valley and Satan's Rusty Balloon Knot Corridor.

** IMO, shaming players who summon help in DaS are kind of arse-backwards. I mean DaS2 was literally balanced around constantly being summoned into other peoples games. No shame in summoning help, ever***

*** okay there is a little shame.

DPM fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 7, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

edit: Also, Jesus H. loving Christ. Max has gotten like 5,000 dollars in donations streaming Nioh tonight.

I'm pretty sure pr0bait donated 8,000 to slowbeef during that Policenauts stream he and Diabetus did.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think that same person also gave like, 6000$ across various Patreons.
I never thought splurging over internet celebrities would be a thing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TaurusOxford posted:

Having a massively hosed sleep schedule and drinking nothing but Red Bulls will tend to do that to a person.

this is sooooo good, his reactions are amazing

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

HGH posted:

I wanna say they've given TieTuesday alone more than that totaled up by this point :v:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 7, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HGH posted:

If I won the lottery I absolutely would

There's a couple fairly no-name youtube musicians who are fairly unknown that I enjoy(like Mariachi Entertainment System or DJtheS) that I'd just casually drop 10 grand on if I had a few hundred mil available. Though a lot of that'd go to various ways of improving people's lives, I've always said if I won the lottery I'd make a team of handymen to just fix people's homes up for free.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hahahahahaha oh my god I just got to the end of the third Paige Until Dawn video where Emily's bite gets revealed and Paige going all

over what happens with Ashley

it's hilarious that everyone keeps calling out that Paige will kill the poo poo out of women as she repeatedly savagely states how she should have let her die, shot her, etc just because Emily was super loving pissed, totally justifiably, and backhanded Ashley for almost getting her shot by her own ex boyfriend for no reason when the answer to her fear was right there lmao

Also that Paige has had Emily's character explained to her repeatedly, spelled out even, and still doesn't get it

Until Dawn is so loving good

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The game improved with blowing Emily away to be honest.

If I get to make the actual call on killing one of the 'token giant obnoxious rear end in a top hat' characters in a horror situation, oh you're hosed.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 7, 2017

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

Yardbomb posted:

The game improved with blowing Emily away to be honest.

If I get to make the actual call on killing one of the 'token giant obnoxious rear end in a top hat' characters in a horror situation, oh you're hosed.
Oh for sure, but I always saw Ashley as being an equivalent rear end in a top hat to Emily, just less honest about it. I mean Ashley acts sympathetically to others during the ouija board scene and when reading Hannah's diary etc. But when it's revealed Emily is bitten, Ashley immediately assumes that, what for all she knows is an animal bite, is in fact carrying some deadly transformative virus; based partly on the flimsy knowledge that cannibalism somehow causes wendigos and primarily on a pre-existing dislike for Emily. That wouldn't be a big deal on its own, but she doesn't even drop it when Mike has a gun to Emily's face. She takes the whole situation from a 6 to a 10 over nothing and then Mike either threatens Emily with death or flat-out murders her.

I agree it's dumb that Emily even agreed to come to Blackwood considering how little she appears to enjoy the others' company, but I'm less put-off by a snide rear end in a top hat than someone who attests to being nice, but might indirectly cause two character's deaths, either due to panic and a personal grudge, or because she was salty about not being chosen in a deathgame. Like, she's totally justified in letting Chris die, but that's still 2 deaths to Emily's 1 life-threatening shove

in conclusion, Sam best girl

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, as pointed out in last night's stream with Paige, Ashley doesn't even feel bad about Hannah and beth's deaths, as if you say you feel bad about it her honesty goes down. She's the worst of the lot tbh, Emily is a huge bitch, but it's a front. Ashley is genuinely cold-blooded and vindictive and can directly kill two of the other characters through her own actions Emily and Chris.

But yes, Sam best girl

Edit: Also I hope Paige is okay, she is always talking about her health and justifiably so, but her mentioning there might be a cancerous lump returning is pretty terrifying :ohdear:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 7, 2017

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I had not heard of Lupus before watching her stream, but sadly it's one of those awful diseases that require tons of treatment and lifestyle changes.
She's also donating part of the Twitch money to organizations dedicating to fighting it, so if you're feeling extra charitable maybe pass by there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

HGH posted:

Sounds like someone doesn't like good ol' Maldron the Assassin.

No sir I don't. What kind of assassin has a giant spear and shield?! That said, now that I'm past the rage, what a hilarious invasion. I have to give the props for the mixup. Most of the other invader NPCs have been annoying because they have a ton of HP and good attacks. (Like that fuckin jester) Best way I've figured to deal with them was been to try to stunlock. I took out Maldron by outcowarding him. Took a death to take care of the ashen idol, despite it being gone he'll still run into the pit, take out the enemies on the way down and just shoot arrows at him. Whatever AI/scripting he has caused him to be unwilling to charge at me so I just backed up and kept shooting arrows.

DumbparameciuM posted:

** IMO, shaming players who summon help in DaS are kind of arse-backwards. I mean DaS2 was literally balanced around constantly being summoned into other peoples games. No shame in summoning help, ever***

*** okay there is a little shame.

I'll take the shame. I started having a lot more fun with DS2 when I started participating in jolly cooperation rather then worrying about the sanctity of my accomplishments. I helped a few people with the final section of Amana since I was stuck on it - it was a ton of fun. One guy who was summoning me for the boss decided to swap to a bow after a few deaths and we just cheesed it to death.

I ended up summoning help for Fume - I tried him a few times on my own and I probably could have been more persistent - his attack patterns didn't seem that bad*, but I have heard bad things about him and a player sign was there when I popped a humanity and I figured why not. Pepperoni was their name, and they were a baller, I don't think they got hit once. Thanks, Pepperoni.

* I didn't push him to phase 2 on my own....