Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

whydirt posted:

As has been pointed out, it does exist in the form of Draconic Roar.

1R for 3 and 1R for 3 but only if you reveal a dragon is not remotely the same thing at all

80s James Hetfield fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

mcmagic posted:

Because Zada doesn't protect itself from removal and Mirrorwing does?
Sure, you get to tap out for a 4/5 then I can send in my team and pump them all off the back of your stupid 4/5 flier that does nothing else relevant. Or, you know, just be a control deck that doesn't commit creatures to the board to get blown out by it. Or be like any other deck that doesn't play targeted removal beyond like Reflector Mage and just win before you, playing red, make a 4/5 otherwise vanilla flier for 5.

It's a lovely card by most metrics, except when you consider that it's red.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

A 4/5 flier that is hard to kill without getting plague winded isn't bad, it'd probably be great if there were some decent 1 drop mana dorks to ramp into it reliably on turn 3-4. Even if rattleclaws were still around, turn 3 thunderbreak into this guy would be ok, but storm breath dragon it isn't.

I would play the poo poo out of some storm breath dragon right now.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Mikujin posted:

Sure, you get to tap out for a 4/5 then I can send in my team and pump them all off the back of your stupid 4/5 flier that does nothing else relevant.

It's a lovely card by most metrics, except when you consider that it's red.

What deck plays a pump spell in standard?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

stinkles1112 posted:

Makes me wonder if maindeck Languish will be good. Your Advocates and Mindwracks dodge it, they would have a really hard time coming back if you Languish and have two dudes or a dude and a Liliana left over after. Transgress is decent against Company in the main too.

I'm definitely brewing on this for standard either way. I wanna use those Gitrog toads!

There's a lot of ways to build them and I'm sure they'll all be tested thoroughly on the beta coming up. I mean, at first blush, I'd try a deck like this, which is pretty similar to the GBu deck that's going around now, but just straight GB, just with Emrakul in it. I'm sure you could build a more straight forward "drop dudes" version that would actually play Grim Flayer, but I have no idea if that's actually good.

//Lands
4 Evolving Wilds
5 Forest
4 Hissing Quagmire
4 Llanowar Wastes
6 Swamp

//Spells
2 Dark Petition
1 Dead Weight
3 Grapple with the Past
3 Grasp of Darkness
1 Languish
2 Ob Nixilis Reignited
1 Ruinous Path
1 Seasons Past
1 Transgress the Mind
4 Traverse the Ulvenwald
2 Ultimate Price

//Creatures
1 Den Protector
1 Emrakul, the Promised End
1 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
4 Mindwrack Demon
1 Nissa, Vastwood Seer
4 Sylvan Advocate
4 Tireless Tracker

//Sideboard

2 Duress
3 Languish
1 Transgress the Mind
1 Clip Wings
1 Sinister Concoction
2 Dead Weight
1 Seasons Past
2 Virulent Plague
1 Whispers of Emrakul
1 Infinite Obliteration

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
This is cute:

A 1/3 for 1 that turns your opponents threat into crap is actually a good rate and its going to be a ridiculous mess in limited if you get entire boards full of Permeating Masses.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 5, 2016

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Count Bleck posted:

Don't be ridiculous.

The reason why a 1R 3 damage instant would be broken and format warping in this world of X/3s and X/4s is because

In a format where Dispel is legal having a 1R 3 damage instant is not any where close to being broken

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Sickening posted:

What deck plays a pump spell in standard?

Dromoka's Command +1/+1 and fight mode let's me pump my board [you can't use fight mode I'm dumb but still]. If it had haste or somehow impacted the board meaningfully beyond being a big red kite then maybe I could see it as being anything more impactful than a generic wet dragon fart.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

Maybe Wizards should stop making good creatures X/X+1 so we don't have efficient creatures bouncing off each other all day. I understand that having a 2/3 instead of a 2/2 looks more elegant and exciting, but stalemates suck and it just means 2/2s are so much worse.

It's weird because I remember reading a design article a few years back where they say pretty much exactly this. That it's important to have strong creatures with greater power than toughness because otherwise you get the kind of board stalls that we see in every G/W mirror match. Reflector mage could have easily been a 2/2 and still been strong. Sylvan Advocate would still probably be playable but it wouldn't be the most ubiquitous 2-drop in the format. As it stands right now there is not much good removal for 2-mana creatures. so basically G/W gets everything -strong cheap creatures, planeswalkers, removal, and card advantage- and other colors get hosed. Blue has been unplayable outside of Reflector Mage since Dig Through Time/Treasure Cruise rotated out, Red lost Swiftspear, Battle Rage, Hordeling Outburst, and Wild Slash and got nothing to replace them, and Black has about one card in Standard on the power level of G/W things(Kalitas).

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

That's cute, I guess.

A 1/3 for 1 that turns your opponents threat into crap is actually a good rate.

1/3 shitlords bouncing off each other till the end of time, truly we are in a golden era of MTG

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mikujin posted:

Dromoka's Command +1/+1 and fight mode let's me pump my board [you can't use fight mode I'm dumb but still]. If it had haste or somehow impacted the board meaningfully beyond being a big red kite then maybe I could see it as being anything more impactful than a generic wet dragon fart.

Well no one said it was gonna be better than Dromoka's Command decks...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Mikujin posted:

I am pretty sure dromoka's command doesn't work that way considering the wording of mr new dragon. So no deck runs pump that works that way then?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

80s James Hetfield posted:

In a format where Dispel is legal having a 1R 3 damage instant is not any where close to being broken

:thejoke:

Angry Grimace posted:

That's cute, I guess.

A 1/3 for 1 that turns your opponents threat into crap is actually a good rate.

That's hilarious.

Mikujin posted:

Dromoka's Command +1/+1 and

Read Mirrorwing Dragon again. Specifically the part where it says "only"

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

This is cute:

A 1/3 for 1 that turns your opponents threat into crap is actually a good rate and its going to be a ridiculous mess in limited if you get entire boards full of Permeating Masses.

A one mana 1/3 with an upside, what the gently caress.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

I am pretty sure dromoka's command doesn't work that way considering the wording of mr new dragon. So no deck runs pump that works that way then?

I think it does....

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Mikujin posted:

I'm not sure what Dromoka's Command has to do with this dragon and question being asked about a pump spell relevant to the dragon? It's not as good as stormbreath but it's hard to get rid of and a large threat, which is what something like a G/R midrange deck would want. I don't know if it will actually be good but I wouldn't outright dismiss it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I'm not sure what Dromoka's Command has to do with this dragon and question being asked about a pump spell relevant to the dragon? It's not as good as stormbreath but it's hard to get rid of and a large threat, which is what something like a G/R midrange deck would want. I don't know if it will actually be good but I wouldn't outright dismiss it.

If you target your Opponent's Mirrorwing Dragon with the counter mode of Command you get to put 1/1 counters on your team.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

A 4/5 flier that is hard to kill without getting plague winded isn't bad, it'd probably be great if there were some decent 1 drop mana dorks to ramp into it reliably on turn 3-4. Even if rattleclaws were still around, turn 3 thunderbreak into this guy would be ok, but storm breath dragon it isn't.

Hey guess what, white has the only tier-1 removal that can deal with that thing with no consequences

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I think it does....

I haven't seen a high level judge comment on it yet but all the l1 and l2 I have seen comment on them say it doesn't. Who knows.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

mcmagic posted:

If you target your Opponent's Mirrorwing Dragon with the counter mode of Command you get to put 1/1 counters on your team.

But every other mode has a "target" clause so the spell itself wouldn't be "only targeting" mirrorwing

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

ThePeavstenator posted:

Hey guess what, white has the only tier-1 removal that can deal with that thing with no consequences

Which one, Declaration targets right?

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Dromoka's command has to target more than one thing no matter how you slice it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

AceClown posted:

But every other mode has a "target" clause so the spell itself wouldn't be "only targeting" mirrorwing

What if you choose the counter/sac an enchantment mode? Oh I read the wording for Mirrorwing again. It has to ONLY target it.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

mcmagic posted:

What if you choose the counter/sac an enchantment mode?

Target player

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

This is impossible because every mode of Dromoka's Command requires a target and no combination of them can solely target Mirrorwing Dragon.

Fight requires a target you control and a target your opponent controls. The sac enchantment is "target player." The burn spell mode targets another spell.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
My first thought was this:

2 Hangarback Walker
4 Sylvan Advocate
4 Grim Flayer
1 Den Protector
3 Mindwrack Demon
2 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
1 Gitrog Monster
1 Emrakul

3 Liliana, the Last Hope
1 Ob Nixilis

3 Traverse the Ulvenwald
2 Dead Weight
3 Grasp of Darkness
2 Transgress the Mind
1 Ruinous Path
1 Languish
1 Ultimate Price
1 Grapple with the Past

24 Land w/ 4 Evolving Wilds

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Stormgale posted:

Which one, Declaration targets right?

Dromoka's Command
Stasis Snare

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

ThePeavstenator posted:

Dromoka's Command
Stasis Snare

Statsis snare was what I was forgetting

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

stinkles1112 posted:

My first thought was this:

2 Hangarback Walker
4 Sylvan Advocate
4 Grim Flayer
1 Den Protector
3 Mindwrack Demon
2 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
1 Gitrog Monster
1 Emrakul

3 Liliana, the Last Hope
1 Ob Nixilis

3 Traverse the Ulvenwald
2 Dead Weight
3 Grasp of Darkness
2 Transgress the Mind
1 Ruinous Path
1 Languish
1 Ultimate Price
1 Grapple with the Past

24 Land w/ 4 Evolving Wilds

I want the 4th Ruinous Path before the first Liliana...

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
City of Traitors buyout in progress :toot:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Dr. Clockwork posted:

We get the world we deserve.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Legacy is a good fun format that everyone should play, guys.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I will never understand the mentality behind buyouts.

"Let's monopolize this staple in a format no one can afford in the first place and price it out of everyone's budget even further!"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ThePeavstenator posted:

I will never understand the mentality behind buyouts.

"Let's monopolize this staple in a format no one can afford in the first place and price it out of everyone's budget even further!"

Because you can raise the price of some card by $10 then turn a profit after fees and shipping costs turn a profit of like $250 for hours and hours of work which is way better than getting a real job because

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Angry Grimace posted:

Because you can raise the of some card by 10% and after fees and shipping costs turn a profit of like $250 for hours and hours of work which is way better than getting a real job because

except you need to be able to sell those cards to make that $2.68 an hour

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Didn't that already happen to get them to 120?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ThePeavstenator posted:

except you need to be able to sell those cards to make that $2.68 an hour

And if you manage to not be able to do that, congrats, you just traded a bunch of money for worthless cardboard.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

Legacy is a good fun format that everyone should play, guys.

You going to Worcester?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

ThePeavstenator posted:

Declaration would wipe your own board, command assumes you have something that would kill it in a fight and not die as well (which works with 6 lands+advocate, admittedly) and stasis snare doesn't really see any play, unless I'm missing something?

Like I said, I don't know yet if it will be decent but man are people adamant about doubling down on early opinions. Having read this thread for this long, I don't know what I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

You going to Worcester?

Nope. I don't play Legacy and I don't feel like driving 4 hours to get blown out in round 1.

• Locked thread