Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Oh ... you have marker all over your legs ...

:sun: And my feet! :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

jabby posted:

How do you deal with a 3 year old that just won't give you a moments peace when you need to do stuff around the house?

Like I walked you back from school. I did some colouring with you. I've given you some of my time. But I have other things in my life I need to do and can't cope with you following me from room to room going "please please please play with me".

Have you tried rotting their brain with an iPad or children’s television? Because that’s what I do sometimes. Trading future SAT scores for current free time.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

bee posted:

Lil bee's report card this semester:

We both had a good laugh about it because I've told her that until she gets to high school there's no expectation that she does her homework. Both her Dad and I think that kids should get to relax or exercise in the time after school!

I assume they are saving The Dark Carnival for next semester

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

jabby posted:

How do you deal with a 3 year old that just won't give you a moments peace when you need to do stuff around the house?

Like I walked you back from school. I did some colouring with you. I've given you some of my time. But I have other things in my life I need to do and can't cope with you following me from room to room going "please please please play with me".

You involve them in the chores you're doing, even if only in a token way. Doing dishes? Here, help put the silverware into the dishwasher. Making dinner? Here, stand on your step stool and watch.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I was thinking about how past generations did it. Oh yeah, lots of abuse.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Muir posted:

You involve them in the chores you're doing, even if only in a token way. Doing dishes? Here, help put the silverware into the dishwasher. Making dinner? Here, stand on your step stool and watch.

My mother in law thinks I am nearly abusing my children by making them do stuff around the house without trying it to an allowance.

If you want your three year old to give you peace you should have another kid, so they will bother each other instead of you.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Muir posted:

Yeah this is usually our first line of defence. It doesn't work all the time, but it helps. It's also kinda the Montessori way, and helps normalize helping around the house for later in life.

space uncle posted:

Have you tried rotting their brain with an iPad or children’s television? Because that’s what I do sometimes. Trading future SAT scores for current free time.

And this is our second/last-ditch line, especially if kiddo or we are sick. An hour of carefully curated screen time in a day is probably a net positive to development. And if there's sickness, we'll often allow a lot more.

That all said, our almost-3YO is getting a lot better at independent play, so we sometimes get a break from that.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

External Organs posted:

Listen, research has shown that participation in the Easter Hat Parade correlates DIRECTLY with having a good time in your 30s.

I wish work had an Easter hat parade for me.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

We’ve been involving the kids a lot more in chores but yeah sometimes we just turn on the TV for 30 minutes and I think that’s also fine.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Last day of preschool today, Tuesday we go to pre k.

...why am I crying

Why is everybody crying

Even his teachers were crying when I picked him up, dudes just going down the hall

(It's because his teachers are incredible this year)

Renegret fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 1, 2023

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Daycare was closed today and while it was nice spending time and running errands with the kids I’m probably gonna be pretty topped out on wholesome family memories by the time I go back to work on Thursday.

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

yeah, RIP to everyone who has their kid home until Tuesday

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

dismas posted:

yeah, RIP to everyone who has their kid home until Tuesday

It's already really rough and we're only a day in.

Three year old bossiness suuuuuucks, especially because refusing to play along triggers a meltdown.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
There is no difference between playing and bossing around to a 3 year old. We can’t just play with her we also have to do everything exactly as she says or it’s time to throw a tantrum.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

boquiabierta posted:

My 9-month-old has never been a good sleeper but lately it's just been out of control. Last night he was up at 9, 11:30, 12:30, 1:45, 4:30, and 7. He doesn't take long to get back to sleep but the constant wake-ups are torture. Any advice?

Teething? Growing pains? My guess is teething. Any major sleep regressions in our house typically were traced back to teething

Alternately, maybe go to the doctor and have him examined for an ear infection. Bizzare uncharacteristic behavior like 50% of the time not explained by hunger/sleep in my experience is an ear infection

Half the planet must have been deaf before antibiotics, bunch of deaf children running around

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My kids also had Thursday off because of the hurricane that blew through the night before and didn't do anything.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

My favorite activity of late is calming down a 3yo upset that a pretend thing was wrong.

You decided every aspect of it, kiddo. How can it be wrong?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Our daycare was closed Friday and the little one woke up with a congested lose and slight general malaise.

At nearly five, she’s getting increasingly difficult to keep entertained at home. I managed to get her out the door to have a banana in the sun in the afternoon, but the rest of the day she was begging to watch tv and/or play video games.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 2, 2023

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

gbut posted:

My favorite activity of late is calming down a 3yo upset that a pretend thing was wrong.

You decided every aspect of it, kiddo. How can it be wrong?

When my daughter was 4 I was driving her and her 4 year old cousin somewhere and they were pretending they had a train. They then started fighting over who could hold the pretend train. I told them to just pretend they had two trains and they reacted violently to the idea.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

"You need to be in your room for quiet time"

"I am in my room!"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Technically correct is the best kind of correct

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
The toddler got a lot of compliments on how cute she is at the dentist today. No compliments on how well she complied with getting her teeth cleaned, which was not at all and eventually we gave up. At least the dentist got a look at them.

Now the question is, will she nap at all this long weekend? All signs point to "lol no."

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

My 3yo now naps like two days out of a week and never when she’s at home

Looking forward to managing her and a newborn in a month (ideally, don’t come out early kid)

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

dismas posted:

My 3yo now naps like two days out of a week and never when she’s at home

Looking forward to managing her and a newborn in a month (ideally, don’t come out early kid)

Yeah, the 2 year old has napped once, maaaybe twice at home since her baby sister came home in late June. It's great. Super. Fantastic.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

When my daughter was 4 I was driving her and her 4 year old cousin somewhere and they were pretending they had a train. They then started fighting over who could hold the pretend train. I told them to just pretend they had two trains and they reacted violently to the idea.

This, but when my 6 and 3 year olds are dancing to the Bluey intro and then start fighting over which one of them is Bluey

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I’ve already lost track of the tantrums this weekend. RIP.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Jumpsuit posted:

This, but when my 6 and 3 year olds are dancing to the Bluey intro and then start fighting over which one of them is Bluey

Ugh. My kids have this fight all the time. Watching Encanto “I want to be flower girl!” Watching Miraculous “I want to be ladybug!” Every show they fight over who they get to “be” and I have no idea what that means.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

"if you don't stop fighting then I'm going to be twilight sparkle, and you'll have to deal with it!"

-something my nearly 40 year old dadself told my children.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Ugh. My kids have this fight all the time. Watching Encanto “I want to be flower girl!” Watching Miraculous “I want to be ladybug!” Every show they fight over who they get to “be” and I have no idea what that means.

God yes, this.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Jumpsuit posted:

That's why there's the Double Bluey/Bingo episode.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
WELP. Here comes my first experience catching pre-k crud from the kid. As soon as I saw his nose running I was like gently caress I’m doomed and sure enough that poo poo came on FAST. At least tomorrow is a holiday x_x

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Shifty Pony posted:

"You need to be in your room for quiet time"

"I am in my room!"

I'm so sorry, your child has learned how to rules lawyer.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Kids are the best at rules lawyering. It's like stating a wish in D&D, the DM is always going to screw you over.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Good news - child is generally accepting of “next time” if we say no to a new toy at a store

Bad news - she holds us to it and now every store has a thing she wants

babbys first steam backlog

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

nachos posted:

Good news - child is generally accepting of “next time” if we say no to a new toy at a store

Bad news - she holds us to it and now every store has a thing she wants

babbys first steam backlog

Hopefully, you live in a place with enough stores that you'll never have to visit the same one twice. "Sorry, darling, that promise was for the Target across town. This is a different Target."

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
Rounding out a nice long birthday week/weekend of whole-family Covid, meaning that not only is it just sick parenting the entire time the toddler is awake, when he finally goes down I then get the relaxation of immediately going to bed to get a crappy night's sleep and start again the next day. Wheeee

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

We have taken the kids to a family campground and are staying in a little yurt/cabin thing.

The kids are doing great (the same 2 and 4 year old problems at home, honestly), but we parents ended up with an awful night of sleep due to other sites partying. This is a great place except for other adults, which tracks with everything else in life.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm thinking about upgrading my dude (just shy of 18 months) from his infant car seat to something forward-facing, but while he's just about at the recommended height limit for the seat he has a ways to go for the weight limit, and he still seems comfortable in the seat. Maybe something to research at this point, but not actually buy until he's struggling to fit?

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

C-Euro posted:

I'm thinking about upgrading my dude (just shy of 18 months) from his infant car seat to something forward-facing, but while he's just about at the recommended height limit for the seat he has a ways to go for the weight limit, and he still seems comfortable in the seat. Maybe something to research at this point, but not actually buy until he's struggling to fit?

The general consensus is to keep them rear facing as long as possible as it is the safest. Doesn't work for all situations, but if he's still fine with it, keep him rear facing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

We chose to defer our youngest starting school to next year, to spend more time with her and help her develop more as she’s a COVID baby.

It’s day two of her being with my wife, and “she’s pissing me off already, I think she’s ready for school”