Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Yall Naomi Klein reading liberal dipshits are about to see first hand what happens when you cut off the economies of other countries. It's gonna be glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

if the old harper/bushite style conservatives hate trump that should be a good indicator that he is about to do some great things for the world

It could also be that they're old enough to know the textbook rise of fascism when they see it, and maybe not be too thrilled about it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

infernal machines posted:

It could also be that they're old enough to know the textbook rise of fascism when they see it, and maybe not be too thrilled about it.

You're correct, but don't respond to him, remember he's the not funny troll (whereas CI is the funny troll)

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I would love a jury style consulting body pulled from people that hold a PhD. If you have a PhD you're dumped in to a pool of eligible people who are called up to evaluate government proposals. They've spent a large majority of their lives learning how to evaluate data and ask questions and basically do this to each other and students as their job. Money and time are tight in research and you don't blow it on repeating work, reinventing the wheel, or analyzing data from poorly conceived experiments. So actually have the government need to present a rational argument for its policies and defend them using supporting data or risk being stone walled.

Better than some dumb loving news anchor who barely passed grade 12 getting a seat as a patronage appointment to provide sober second thought on policy.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Aug 26, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cowofwar posted:

Better than some dumb loving news anchor who barely passed grade 12 getting a seat as a patronage appointment to provide sober second thought on policy.

Counterpoint: A room full of the-smartest-man-in-the-room

This is like anyone who thinks engineers should manage policy has never worked with engineers (or is an engineer).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

cowofwar posted:

I would love a jury style consulting body pulled from people that hold a PhD. If you have a PhD you're dumped in to a pool of eligible people who are called up to evaluate government proposals. They've spent a large majority of their lives learning how to evaluate data and ask questions and basically do this to each other and students as their job. Money and time are tight in research and you don't blow it on repeating work, reinventing the wheel, or analyzing data from poorly conceived experiments. So actually have the government need to present a rational argument for its policies and defend them using supporting data or risk being stone walled.

Better than some dumb loving news anchor who barely passed grade 12.

On the other hand, PhDs can often be just as ignorant about everything outside their area of specialization as the public in general (and sometimes moreso!). Having lots of education doesn't make you wise -- just look at Ben Carson!

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

cowofwar posted:

You are literally defining a technocracy.

PT6A posted:

On the other hand, PhDs can often be just as ignorant about everything outside their area of specialization as the public in general (and sometimes moreso!). Having lots of education doesn't make you wise -- just look at Ben Carson!

Many within academia have no clue about the real world.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

cowofwar posted:

Are you seriously defending this garbage?

If only there was some way to harness the energy Liberals spend equivocating around their lovely illiberal policies :allears:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Unrelated, how about that Vader sentence.

Drewjitsu - is this going to stand up? The whole thing with convicting him of murder and then finding out the law was off the books, and then this...

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

Same, I work in a very conservative old fashioned and old in age department, and everyone here is horrified by Trump. It's slightly comforting.

I work at a grocery store night shift with a bunch of other "uneducated" guys, one dropped out of high school entirely and I was surprised when they all -totally unprompted- identified what's happening down south as fascism

Rebellions are built on hope and whatnot

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Dude cmon it's just gonna be GWB again and they're just mad that an outsider crushed their favourites Jeb! and Rubio and made them all look like weak fools

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 25, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Tighclops posted:

I work at a grocery store night shift with a bunch of other "uneducated" guys, one dropped out of high school entirely and I was surprised when they all -totally unprompted- identified what's happening down south as fascism

Rebellions are built on hope and whatnot

To be fair, it's not exactly that well-hidden, and I think Nazis are part of the social studies curriculum before the age you're allowed to drop out.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

its cool how people are acting like the GOP only became this horrible white Christian supremacist organization after or because of Trump

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Jordan7hm posted:

Unrelated, how about that Vader sentence.

Drewjitsu - is this going to stand up? The whole thing with convicting him of murder and then finding out the law was off the books, and then this...

For context:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/vader-sentencing-edmonton-mccann-murder-missing-1.3950894

quote:

Travis Vader was sentenced Wednesday to life in prison for killing two Alberta seniors who were last seen alive in 2010.

Vader, 44, was convicted last year of two counts of manslaughter in the deaths of Lyle and Marie McCann of St. Albert, just outside Edmonton.

Before he announced the sentence, Court of Queen's Bench Justice Denny Thomas asked Vader if he had anything to say.

"This court has convicted an innocent man," Vader said from the prisoner's box. "And I will continue to fight until I can clear my name."

Bret McCann, the eldest son of the two victims, watched the court proceedings via video conferencing from Melbourne, Australia, where it was 4 a.m.

During a court adjournment, McCann spoke to reporters gathered inside the courtroom, saying his family is relieved that their long ordeal is finally at an end.

"This has truly been a marathon," he said. "We are thrilled that justice has been served."

A smattering of applause was heard in the packed courtroom after sentence was announced.

The case unfolded over more than six years, dating back to July 3, 2010, the last day the McCanns were seen alive. Their bodies have not been found.

Bret McCann said the family remains haunted by a sense of uncertainty.

"We don't know exactly what happened on July 3, 2010," he said. "And we may never."

'I hope he never attains parole'

The defence had asked the judge to impose to a prison term of four to six years, or essentially time served, while the Crown argued Vader should be imprisoned for life.

The court granted Vader five years' of credit for time already served in custody. He will be eligible to apply for parole in seven years.

"I need to fully understand this parole arrangement," McCann said. "From my point of view, I hope that he never attains parole.

"I hope that the parole board see that he doesn't deserve parole until he expresses remorse and says where my parents' bodies are."

Defence lawyer Brian Beresh told court his client has received threats in Alberta and asked that Vader be allowed to serve his sentence in B.C.

Justice Thomas granted that request.

Beresh spoke to the media outside the courthouse, and said his client was "not pleased" with sentence.

"He will fight until his last day to prove he is innocent," Beresh said, who told reporters he plans to file notice of appeal later this week.

"What disturbs me about this case — in fact it haunts me — is that at the end of the day there are still so many questions that are unanswered."

Beresh called the case against his client circumstantial and outlined the points of law on which he will focus his appeal.

"In essence, the court of appeal will be asked how, in a case like this where there are so many holes in the case, so many gaps to be filled by the evidence, do we come to rely upon, 'This must have happened. This must have happened.' And then we start to add all of those speculative reasons together to try to come to some conclusion.

"Our position on the appeal will be, the law doesn't allow this. The courts have never tolerated it."

The McCanns were beginning a road trip to B.C. when they disappeared after stopping at a gas station in St. Albert.

Both in their 70s, they were last seen alive on July 3, 2010. Their burned out RV was found two days later at a campsite near Edson, Alta.

Vader has consistently denied killing the couple. During a sentencing hearing in December, he argued his rights were violated while in custody. He also alleged the RCMP used excessive force while arresting him and that he had been beaten up by guards at the Edmonton Remand Centre.

Vader was originally convicted of two counts of second-degree murder. But when it was discovered Thomas had relied on a section of the Criminal Code that had been ruled unconstitutional, the judge downgraded the convictions to manslaughter.

During the sentencing hearing, the defence suggested the McCanns could have been accidentally killed, a theory Thomas ruled out.

"How do you accidentally kill two old people?" Thomas asked. "You could accidentally kill one, but not two."

I doubt their bodies will ever be found.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Periodic reminder that the so-called "Cascadia" movement is mostly Nazis

https://twitter.com/RedConversation/status/823786561695166465

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

THC posted:

Dude cmon it's just gonna be GWB again and they're just mad that an outsider crushed their favourites Jeb! and Rubio and made them all look like weak fools

THC posted:

its cool how people are acting like the GOP only became this horrible white Christian supremacist organization after or because of Trump

Have you been paying attention to the messaging and the actual legislation they've been proposing in the last week?

This is not "more of the same", this is not "business as usual" with a more bombastic frontman. The president repeatedly tells outright lies and then uses a direct communication channel to say "see, you can't trust the media, you can only trust me" while simultaneously advancing legislation that would allow the him to unilaterally nix any piece of existing legislation with no checks or balances, and muzzling all communication between government agencies and the public, except though his administration.

Comically large klaxons should be going off right now

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

THC posted:

Periodic reminder that the so-called "Cascadia" movement is mostly Nazis

https://twitter.com/RedConversation/status/823786561695166465

Twitter account is already banned.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Ba9VCxfzOIQJ:https://twitter.com/NationalistAct+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Have you been paying attention to the messaging and the actual legislation they've been proposing in the last week?

This is not "more of the same", this is not "business as usual" with a more bombastic frontman. The president repeatedly tells outright lies and then uses a direct communication channel to say "see, you can't trust the media, you can only trust me" while simultaneously advancing legislation that would allow the him to unilaterally nix any piece of existing legislation with no checks or balances, and muzzling all communication between government agencies and the public, except though his administration.

Comically large klaxons should be going off right now

Sounds a lot like life under GWB and Harper tbh plus a bunch of the unfulfilled wishes from the GOP's list

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

The president repeatedly tells outright lies and then uses a direct communication channel to say "see, you can't trust the media, you can only trust me" while simultaneously advancing legislation that would allow the him to unilaterally nix any piece of existing legislation with no checks or balances, and muzzling all communication between government agencies and the public, except though his administration.

So... More of the same.

Remember when a GOP president told us Iraq had WMDs? :yum:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

THC posted:

Sounds a lot like life under GWB and Harper tbh plus a bunch of the unfulfilled wishes from the GOP's list

Unrestricted executive power is slightly beyond GWB era America. Whether or not they've wanted to do this before, they are doing it now. All of it.

Attacking and discrediting the press, unrestricted executive power, complete message control of the government through the executive, and the ongoing narrative of isolationism and "illegals" "immigrants" and "Muslims" as the enemy. These are some pretty textbook beats.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Same, I work in a very conservative old fashioned and old in age department, and everyone here is horrified by Trump. It's slightly comforting.

I also work in a very conservative old fashioned and old in age department, except my coworkers don't think Trump's all that bad, and applaud him for killing the ACA. Earlier this week they were ranting about how bullshit the new carbon tax just a scam to funnel money to the poor, and that we would be better off without public healthcare.

Actually I don't understand why they're working at a public college if they hate government spending so much...

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

cowofwar posted:

Have you been following any of the scandals at UBC? If there's one thing I now know about PhDs it's that they're the most insipid selfish crybabies when it comes to oh, anything that has nothing to do with themselves or most importantly their egos.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Anyone who sincerely thinks technocracy is a workable system either imagines they would be one of the technocrats or has never actually talked to one of the would-be technocrats.

You'd just end up with the worst of France and China basically.

Also reminder that a lot of the neonazi leadership has significant educations. Le Pen has two Masters in law, her husband is a PoliSci PhD whose thesis is literally what their party is using as a path to power, Spencer studied Philosophy at the graduate level, most of the major holocaust denialist writers have advanced degrees.

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 25, 2017

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Jan posted:

So... More of the same.

Remember when a GOP president told us Iraq had WMDs? :yum:

Followed by the democrat president who became the first ever to spend every day of his 8 years at war, dropping 50,000 bombs on muslims in the last two years alone. One positive thing with Trump that I think we'll all agree on is that it's hip to be anti-war again. I think it might even be a little healthier for the rest of the world to see the US focus on themselves for a bit.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Also academics are often quite guilty of placing the need to stroke their own petty egos above the needs of those they consider to be their intellectual lessors and are extremely prejudiced in their own ways. I'd prefer our society be ruled by a tribunal filled by lottery over one filled by academic merit.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

cowofwar posted:

Some of the largest problems in our society have to do with the government ignoring the plight of poor people, indigenous people, disabled people etc so that companies and rich people can have more money. I'm not sure why a consulting body made up of old rich people would solve that.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Duck Rodgers posted:

Some of the largest problems in our society have to do with the government ignoring the plight of poor people, indigenous people, disabled people etc so that companies and rich people can have more money. I'm not sure why a consulting body made up of old rich people would solve that.

It's the liberal way.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Interesting piece in the Star here about how :canada: is becoming the tax haven of the day.

http://projects.thestar.com/panama-papers/canada-is-the-worlds-newest-tax-haven/

Check out the price sheet posted there, it's cheap as hell apparently to pay someone to set up and maintain your faceless, traceless corporation to funnel money through to dodge taxes.

If we can't/won't stop this poo poo we should at least demand a cut. 5% of all laundered money moving through Canada should go back to the people. We're basically completely for sale to the world anyway, might as well embrace it.

The friendliest resource extracting, arms dealing, money laundering, drug dealing (once we get those weed exports up to speed) nation in the world is open for business!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Meanwhile the cra steps up their auditing campaign against food service workers for not declaring tips

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/thunder-bay/anonymous-donor-wapekeka-1.3951372?cmp=rss

Anonymous donor pledges $380K for suicide prevention plan in Wapekeka First Nation after 2 girls die

$30K of $380K donation sent to remote First Nation on Monday

n anonymous donor is pledging $380,000 for a plan to prevent more young people from dying by suicide on Wapekeka First Nation in northern Ontario, after Health Canada denied funding last summer.

Difficulty in obtaining government funding was made public last week after the death of two 12-year-olds, Jolynn Winter and Chantel Fox, in the remote community, about 600 kilometres north of Thunder Bay.

Wapekeka had alerted Health Canada to a suicide pact among young girls, and proposed a $376,706 community-based prevention plan while asking for funding last summer. As of last week, Wapekeka had not received any government funding for the program.

Wapekeka First Nation asked for suicide-prevention funds months before deaths of 2 girls
"We are grateful that a private donor has stepped in where the government of Canada has failed," Nishnawbe Aski Nation Grand Chief Alvin Fiddler said in a news release on Wednesday.

The donor sent an initial instalment of $30,000 to Wapekeka on Monday, and is committed to fund approximately $380,000 for a youth mental health program in the First Nation, according to the release.

"We are overwhelmed with this act of generosity and cannot express how grateful we are that this donor is stepping in to help our people," said Wapekeka Chief Brennan Sainnawap.

'They want to help'

Fiddler said Nishnawbe Aski Nation wants to "tap into" people's desire to help First Nations by looking for more ways to seek charitable donations from individuals or corporations.

"The public heard what was happening in Wapekeka, and they're telling us it's not acceptable and they want to help," he said.

Even in Wapekeka, there is more work to be done, he said. The youth mental health program is just one aspect of an overall strategy to prevent suicide.

According to the Nishnawbe Aski Nation, there are 49 other northern Ontario First Nations where more than 500 people have committed suicide in the past 30 years.

First Nations losing 'babies' to suicide, chief says after 10-year-old dies
"This should not let Canada or Ontario off the hook in terms of supporting our communities, especially with children and youth and the need for mental health supports," Fiddler said.

In a statement last week, Health Minister Jane Philpott said First Nations have developed a "First Nations mental wellness continuum framework, and we intend to continue to support that. We have invested $300 million this year in mental wellness across the country."

She was travelling back from the cabinet retreat in Calgary on Monday, so couldn't immediately be reached for comment Wednesday.

NDP MP Charlie Angus said the Liberals are spending the same amount that the Conservatives budgeted and the government knows it's not enough to prevent suicides on First Nations.

Government documents obtained by Angus through access to information show the government receives advice on its legal liability when it comes to providing health care in First Nations.

"There is a shortage of mental wellness services for children in Canada generally, with access more limited in remote and isolated communities," says a document titled "Vulnerabilities to FNIHB [First Nations Inuit Health Branch] Programming resulting from January 2016 Canadian Human Rights Tribunal."

The document says the legal risk level identified for the mental wellness programming is identified as "high."

"With respect to FN [First Nation] children, access is further limited due to higher needs; limited or no federal mental health services for FN children and youth other than services provided through the National Aboriginal Youth Suicide Prevention Strategy; lack of culturally appropriate treatment and counselling approaches that where they exist have limited overall capacity to effectively address intergenerational trauma linked to residential school experiences and cycles of poverty, violence and addiction," the document says.

"This government knows these services are badly underfunded and they're badly underfunded because the government doesn't want to spend money on First Nations kids," Angus said. "So if First Nations have to start begging for charity to keep children from dying, then we have a real problem in this country."

Optics on this is v bad for the PMO

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Despite all his post-election big talk about stepping up for First Nations, Trudeau has sure poo poo on them a lot.

"One Who Keeps Trying" indeed

Hey is that Reservation in Manitoba still under its decade-long boil water advisory?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The average person with a PhD isn't an academic. Most people with a PhD are underemployed, employed outside of their field, or a housewife. Tricouncils fund only like 7% of grants and for the vast majority of doctorates they either do a post-doc and leave the field or just leave the field right away.

But sure, don't make it a meritocracy just

Actually you know what senate reform is boring and I just stopped caring

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I got curious about

Skippy Granola posted:

Despite all his post-election big talk about stepping up for First Nations, Trudeau has sure poo poo on them a lot.

"One Who Keeps Trying" indeed

Hey is that Reservation in Manitoba still under its decade-long boil water advisory?

I got curious about this and googled it real quick. Holy poo poo look at this list: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fniah-spnia/promotion/public-publique/water-dwa-eau-aqep-eng.php

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

cowofwar posted:

Actually you know what senate reform is boring and I just stopped caring

The solution to addressing problems facing the senate is to allow each province to appoint persons to the chamber and make it so appointments do not exceed 10 years.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

I got curious about

I got curious about this and googled it real quick. Holy poo poo look at this list: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fniah-spnia/promotion/public-publique/water-dwa-eau-aqep-eng.php

Oh my god the Tsuu T'ina community WITHIN Calgary is under a boil water advisory. What?

Is that because first nation leaders tend to be a opaque about community affairs, or substandard infrastructure, I wonder.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Skippy Granola posted:

Oh my god the Tsuu T'ina community WITHIN Calgary is under a boil water advisory. What?

Is that because first nation leaders tend to be a opaque about community affairs, or substandard infrastructure, I wonder.

Remember, BC isn't on this because they spun off into a provincial health authority

http://www.fnha.ca/what-we-do/environmental-health/drinking-water-safety-program

"As of December 31, 2016, there were 16 Boil Water Advisories and 4 Do Not Consume advisories for a total of 20 Drinking Water Advisories in effect in 18 First Nation communities in British Columbia."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Skippy Granola posted:

You'll notice it was lifted after 5 days. Sometimes systems break and need to be fixed.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Shoal Lake 40 First Nation is in the middle of where Winnipeg's drinking water comes from and has been under a boil water advisory for 19 years. Right now all they are trying to do is get an all-season road built that connects to the Trans-Canada highway so they can get supplies to their island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

Shoal Lake 40 First Nation is in the middle of where Winnipeg's drinking water comes from and has been under a boil water advisory for 19 years. Right now all they are trying to do is get an all-season road built that connects to the Trans-Canada highway so they can get supplies to their island.

That's much more outrageous, indeed.

Still, if a Calgary community were under a boil water advisory for four days it would have made the news.

And did, actually, after the '06 flood

Nope, I'll do my research before running my mouth

Skippy Granola fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 25, 2017