Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

5, have my

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ffffff...uck.

https://i.imgur.com/DO2MPWD.mp4

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
*slowly speeds up*

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The Russian media is reporting that the recent ISS leak was due to a guy at the manufacturing facility finding a hole and sealing it with glue to pass tests :ussr:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Didn't know Tesla was involved in building the ISS

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Memento posted:

This is not just OSHA but it's sad as gently caress.

Rio de Janeiro museum goes up in flames

Years and years of neglect and corruption mean that what should have been a small fire started in some wiring or whatever has completely destroyed the entire historical collection of a major country. From what I can read online, the building didn't have a sprinkler system.

:(

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Phy posted:

Looking forward to Tailhook Scandal 2.0

Be more worried when they open fire on a civilian airliner :stonk:

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Memento posted:

This is not just OSHA but it's sad as gently caress.

Rio de Janeiro museum goes up in flames

Years and years of neglect and corruption mean that what should have been a small fire started in some wiring or whatever has completely destroyed the entire historical collection of a major country. From what I can read online, the building didn't have a sprinkler system.

3 hours into the week and I already need to get wasted.

Keep in mind, Brazillian Independence day is the 7th. We have a lot to be proud of.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Halser posted:

Keep in mind, Brazillian Independence day is the 7th. We have a lot to be proud of.

This independence day, you can start your history from scratch! And I really mean it, start a scratch book and build a museum around it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Lazyhound posted:

A petite co-worker tried to get a heavy box down from a high shelf, and ended up folded backwards at the waist.

Spinal surgery.

The same thing happened to Jessi Combs back when she was working on Xtreme 4x4. A bandsaw fell on her and bent her back to where her head was behind her knees.

6:02 if the time doesn't carry through:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHBrb7IWapc&t=362s

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Wow

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Halser posted:

I'm seeing photos coming out of it on science twitter today. Basically the only thing that survived out of the geoscience collection (which was internationally notable, Brazil has some incredible geology and mineral wealth and the Minas Gerais mineral sample collection was world class) was the Bendegó meteorite. Everything else is scorched rubble.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Memento posted:

I'm seeing photos coming out of it on science twitter today. Basically the only thing that survived out of the geoscience collection (which was internationally notable, Brazil has some incredible geology and mineral wealth and the Minas Gerais mineral sample collection was world class) was the Bendegó meteorite. Everything else is scorched rubble.
Oh my god, that's a loss of... like, unimaginable proportions. And a good lesson in why it's important to fund protection for cultural and scientific collections.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I really wanted to see the collection one day. Been yearning to since I was a lil tiny rock collector. :smith:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/i3PXLFx.mp4

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

How the hell do they fold the arm back for transport?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

How the hell do they fold the arm back for transport?

https://i.imgur.com/SoRSr3X.mp4

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

If I had a dollar for every time I’ve had a use for such a machine, I could probably buy the truck in the GIF.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

They’re reporting that because the hydrants had no water, the fighter fighters had to truck in water in relays from a nearby lake. However, due to budget cut backs they had no ladders or other equipment. They could only watch.

Also, the media is reporting that a homemade hot air balloon may have been the cause of the fire.

quote:

...homemade paper hot-air balloon that may have landed on the roof. Launching such balloons is a long-held tradition in Brazil and they routinely cause fires.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

4000 years ago the Egyptians moved into their condos the same way.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Grundulum posted:

If I had a dollar for every time I’ve had a use for such a machine, I could probably buy the truck in the GIF.

surely there's a better way to scratch your mom's back

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

What's his secret to winning this? It seems most of those claws are gimmicked to relax their grip after the prize gets picked up an inch or two off of the pile.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/9lLUADt.gifv

PainterofCrap posted:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Watched a tanker run over the "Keep away" sign today. And I don't even care.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Christ Almighty this made all my hair stand on end. I can practically feel the heat.

ETA: Somehow this is worse than the one where the molten steel bar is jizzing everywhere because these dudes are so casual about it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Nth Doctor posted:

What's his secret to winning this? It seems most of those claws are gimmicked to relax their grip after the prize gets picked up an inch or two off of the pile.

The secret is that some percentage of the pulls aren't rigged, and the percentage is determined by law. The real and rigged pulls usually follow a predictable pattern so if you watch people play long enough you can figure out when it's actually possible to win.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

packetmantis posted:

Christ Almighty this made all my hair stand on end. I can practically feel the heat.

ETA: Somehow this is worse than the one where the molten steel bar is jizzing everywhere because these dudes are so casual about it.

I'm pretty sure stepping over the molten jumprope is something that should get them shut the gently caress down in a heartbeat. Imagine tripping over that thing and faceplanting on it.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
im really unhappy with the way that the metal whips around briefly at the end of its transfer

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This seems like the kind of thing someone had the idea for forever but managed to forget that tow trucks and flatbeds had already been invented. I cannot imagine how this is better than either.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Given the damage it's doing to the car, it's a very different niche to the tow truck.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

Given the damage it's doing to the car, it's a very different niche to the tow truck.

Only if the damage is necessary to the process. Otherwise it’s just a messy entry in the niche of “removing derelict cars from streets.”

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Memento posted:

I reckon our thread mascot mineral made it out ok.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

if i know people the rationale for crunching that car was probably similar to the rationale for locking up kids; harsh penalties as a deterrent

you know like medieval or roman era poo poo.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

The technical term is a "marked improvement" over standard tow trucks.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

This seems like the kind of thing someone had the idea for forever but managed to forget that tow trucks and flatbeds had already been invented. I cannot imagine how this is better than either.

The claw is used to remove many kinds of obstacles, not just automobiles.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Former DILF posted:

if i know people the rationale for crunching that car was probably similar to the rationale for locking up kids; harsh penalties as a deterrent

you know like medieval or roman era poo poo.

It looks like England, so that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless