Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Willsun posted:

Every time I want to nitpick at S/M I remember that they got rid of HMs and the need for HM slaves.

Never forget that Defog was an HM once. And story required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Willsun posted:

Every time I want to nitpick at S/M I remember that they got rid of HMs and the need for HM slaves.

Just pray they'll keep that going forward, dropping good features never to be seen again just to add something none asked for instead is kind of their thing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

QoL Improvements in SuMo:

• No more HMs
  • Hyper Training
  • IVs viewable in the PC
  • EVs viewable in the status screen

Did I miss any?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

DizzyBum posted:

Magikarp Jump got a new update this morning. Aside from adding the usual stuff (new league, food items, training, events, buddies, and decorations), they also greatly sped up game animation in general. So things like clicking through all of the treasure balls in your pond or skipping all the league re-fights take far less time than before. You can also skip training and event animations, and just cut to the end result or final choice.

I'm sure the other 1 or 2 people in this thread that actually play it will be excited.

did they reduce the grind yet? I don't even get a free level anymore after getting my magikarp retired from jumping

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

iospace posted:

• No more HMs
  • Hyper Training
  • IVs viewable in the PC

Did I miss any?

Adding Pokemon to a box and removing pokemon from a box are no longer seperate functions that require seperate menus.

When you catch a pokemon with a full party, you can now choose whether to send it to a box or to send a member of your party to the box and replace it with the new poke.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

The Isle Aplenny berry farm is a lovely straightforward way to grow a ton of berries. The rest of Pokepelago is pretty cool, too, for a low-effort way to get EVs, items and suchlike.

Refresh giving you the option to care for Pokemon post-battle turned Amie from something I barely touched in Gen VI to something I use a ton. Arguably a neutral feature, as thanks to the XP-boosting effect from affection my team in Sun is currently pretty overlevelled :v:.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Yeah the fact you can just remove poison after a fight for free is great.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ariong posted:

Adding Pokemon to a box and removing pokemon from a box are no longer seperate functions that require seperate menus.

Did anybody use Withdraw/Deposit after Move Pokemon was implemented in RSE?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Ariong posted:

The fact that you just press A in front of the PC and you're straight into the box interface without a layer of dumb menus for other stuff you never use anyway is such an improvement

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Willsun posted:

Every time I want to nitpick at S/M I remember hau, gladion, lillie, kukui, nanu, guzma, and The Royal

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Every time I want to nitpick at S/M I do so immediately because I outspeed everything.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

now that hms are no longer a thing i can give my nidoking both posion sting and poison jab thank, you kimishima........

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

oddium posted:

now that hms are no longer a thing i can give my nidoking both posion sting and poison jab thank, you kimishima........
What, no Leer?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

iospace posted:

• No more HMs
  • Hyper Training
  • IVs viewable in the PC

Did I miss any?
* PokePelago lets you hatch eggs/raise affection/EV train without actively playing. You can also grow berries without flying all over the region.
* You can buy heart scales now since you get them with every restaurant meal.
* You can wear a team skull outfit after completing the plot.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Haifisch posted:

* You can wear a team skull outfit after completing the plot.

WHAT

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Go back to Po town and you can buy one somewhere. I think from the grunts in the Pokemon center?

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Hrist posted:

Never forget that Defog was an HM once. And story required.

And still people want DP remakes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
You never had to actually use defog tho. There is one area in the game with heavy fog and the only effect it had was starting battles with everyone at -1 accuracy. It wasn't even a long section.

It was dumb as hell it was an HM, but its also literally the least mandatory one in the series since Fly was actually required once.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Historically, QoL improvements have appeared in remakes. It's just things like encounter tables that they don't fix.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Bongo Bill posted:

Historically, QoL improvements have appeared in remakes. It's just things like encounter tables that they don't fix.

I hope they're cool enough to keep the QoL of no HMs, but I feel like it's unlikely in the 'spirit of a remake'.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Especially since Sinnoh required the most HMs, since it also introduced Rock Climb. Still loved the region though and think it's crazy not to want remakes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also I hope to god they just use the Platinum dex (+Murkrow) because it was one of the best in the series.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Zore posted:

You never had to actually use defog tho. There is one area in the game with heavy fog and the only effect it had was starting battles with everyone at -1 accuracy. It wasn't even a long section.

It was dumb as hell it was an HM, but its also literally the least mandatory one in the series since Fly was actually required once.

To be fair, I just sort of remember it as part of the watering can begin required thing. I can't tell you thing 1 about gen 4's story outside of Cynthia and the other dimension begin a thing in platinum.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Team Galactic was the first good team imo. It was nice having everyone in-game acknowledge the idiot grunts as idiots while the serious stuff was left to the big boss.

They also had a kickass theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LvCqhoiwQ8

Let's be real, we want Gen 4 remakes just so we can hear its soundtrack in a modern soundfont.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
did someone say gen 4 music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLJCbXa57Hw

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jazerus posted:

Did anybody use Withdraw/Deposit after Move Pokemon was implemented in RSE?

Not me! I had to explain that one to my friends when we started getting those games too.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

gen 4 poosic

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

im sorry that was out of line

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

iospace posted:

• No more HMs
  • Hyper Training
  • IVs viewable in the PC

Did I miss any?
You forgot "literally all of Poke Pelago": EV training, egg hatching, happiness raising, berry growing, and a limitless source of evolution stones and other stuff. Just throw some stuff in there, throw some beans in the relevant containers, and come back the next day to reap the rewards.

Also, you can basically just straight-up buy heart scales at restaurants, and related to that, the move tutor teaches moves from the entire level-up movepool instead of just the ones below your Pokemon's current level.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Gen IV was my favorite for a while, the starters are still the best. I think I liked it because I skipped Gen III, so I didn't notice the dearth of new Pokémon.

U.T. Raptor posted:

You forgot "literally all of Poke Pelago": EV training, egg hatching, happiness raising, berry growing, and a limitless source of evolution stones and other stuff. Just throw some stuff in there, throw some beans in the relevant containers, and come back the next day to reap the rewards.

The berry growing is good but all the other stuff makes me miss Join Avenue.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

YggiDee posted:

Gen IV was my favorite for a while, the starters are still the best. I think I liked it because I skipped Gen III, so I didn't notice the dearth of new Pokémon.

The berry growing is good but all the other stuff makes me miss Join Avenue.

The gen iv starters are good but they're no gen vii starters.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of my gaiatortoise.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of my gaiatortoise.

This guy knows whats up. Gen 4 starters are probably my favorite since RBY. Piplup owns.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, Gen IV has the best overall set of starters in the series.

Also Infernape should get a better HA or Mega so it can retake its rightful place over that dumb kick chicken. :colbert:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Platinum is my favorite Pokemon game.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

iospace posted:

• No more HMs
  • Hyper Training
  • IVs viewable in the PC

Did I miss any?

QoL Retrogression in SuMo

• SOS Battles
  • No Dexnav
  • The dumb bubbly fish spots

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
  • no rollerskates
  • no 3D, not even the Pokédex (one of ORAS' best features)
  • no Blissey Bases
  • worse camera angle on the overworld

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Who needs rollerskates when you can just hit one of the dpad buttons and be on a Tauros instantly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Tauros is a good dog but the rollerskates allowed for more nimble and flexible sped-up movement. Tauros is quite big and gets unwieldy at times.

ETA: Tauros is the replacement of the bicycle btw, not of the running shoes or the rollerskates so it's a false equivalence. SM doesn't have running shoes or rollerskates at all so I do miss that middle option between walking (too) slowly and hi-speed "biking".

less laughter fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 2, 2017