Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

loving lol so do I pay and get a bigger character limit? Or maybe a red check mark instead of a blue one?

Oo can I change my Twitter gender for $25?

The suggestion is that verified users with x thousand or more followers will have to pay $y/month for z features.

What the features are though, who knows. It's not going to be targeted at regular users though, it's about influencers/celebrities/companies/people who generate significant revenue from the platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Facebook is far worse for humanity. If hell exists, which it does not, it has a special wing for Facebook employees.

I was having a bad day and wound up rage quitting a networking slack when one of the Facebook employees complained that other people kept saying Facebook was bad and one of the more talkative people in the community said that’s unfair to him and we’d accept people from We Kick Puppies Co in the community provided they follow the code of conduct.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

aware of dog posted:

Who on gods green earth would pay for Twitter

Blue checks would pay for twitter.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I feel like adding patreon-like features to twitter would actually be a slam dunk as far as revenue goes

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Trevor Hale posted:

I was having a bad day and wound up rage quitting a networking slack when one of the Facebook employees complained that other people kept saying Facebook was bad and one of the more talkative people in the community said that’s unfair to him and we’d accept people from We Kick Puppies Co in the community provided they follow the code of conduct.

Maybe it’s a bit early in the day for me but I am genuinely having trouble parsing your anecdote. Are you...agreeing with me?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Does Jack Dorsey pay to look like a hobo?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
being a failperson billionaire makes you scratch and invent anything to justify why your a trillionaire instead of either random luck or being born rich.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
twitter jack leans hard into secular woo, with things like "my continual fasting is actually a spiritually-based health practice and not at all cover for anorexia"

guys like this love the shabby-chic minimalist aesthetic. i think it's a way to deal with the lingering guilt of being massively wealthy for no reason and being unable to just give your money away because it turns out you care more about greed than any of the secular woo stuff

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

lol the “this website is free” remarks got to him

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Maybe it’s a bit early in the day for me but I am genuinely having trouble parsing your anecdote. Are you...agreeing with me?

Yes, sorry. I don’t know why that came out so twisty.

Trevor Hale fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 23, 2020

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

luxury handset posted:

twitter jack leans hard into secular woo, with things like "my continual fasting is actually a spiritually-based health practice and not at all cover for anorexia"

guys like this love the shabby-chic minimalist aesthetic. i think it's a way to deal with the lingering guilt of being massively wealthy for no reason and being unable to just give your money away because it turns out you care more about greed than any of the secular woo stuff

It's amusing to talk to people who think Jack is this really deep and spiritual guy. He definitely has a fandom that I don't understand

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

blunt posted:

The suggestion is that verified users with x thousand or more followers will have to pay $y/month for z features.

What the features are though, who knows. It's not going to be targeted at regular users though, it's about influencers/celebrities/companies/people who generate significant revenue from the platform.

Yeah, along with a Patreon/OnlyFans style model as has been suggested.

They'll probably give paid users the option to edit tweets and stuff like that.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Senor Tron posted:

They'll probably give paid users the option to edit tweets

smh another huge transfer of public funds into private hands

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Senor Tron posted:

They'll probably give paid users the option to edit tweets and stuff like that.

Maybe they could make you pay every time you delete a tweet?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
if they really want to make money they should at least make each account have a one time 10$ fee on creation.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

PhazonLink posted:

if they really want to make money they should at least make each account have a one time 10$ fee on creation.

:10bux:? That's crazy talk it'll never work.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
tbh I just want to see if the russian gov would foot the bill for a thousands, maybe milllion something troll farm's account creation.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Facebook is far worse for humanity. If hell exists, which it does not, it has a special wing for Facebook employees.

Nah twitter is worse.

Facebook theoretically has a purpose: connecting your lived experience with the lives of other people through photos, events, birthdays, etc. Zuck has perverted and destroyed that purpose in order to make himself a fuckton of money, but an open source/"public option" version could still be useful.

This is not the case with twitter. Character limits, the lovely format, and all sorts of human limitations mean that no version of what twitter is will ever be good or useful. On top of that, it got Trump elected.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

NaanViolence posted:

Nah twitter is worse.

Facebook theoretically has a purpose: connecting your lived experience with the lives of other people through photos, events, birthdays, etc. Zuck has perverted and destroyed that purpose in order to make himself a fuckton of money, but an open source/"public option" version could still be useful.

This is not the case with twitter. Character limits, the lovely format, and all sorts of human limitations mean that no version of what twitter is will ever be good or useful. On top of that, it got Trump elected.

facebook's original purpose was so zuck could get pics of hot girls to stare at

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Force all tweets to use at least one donation hashtag and all white people have to use one which auto donates $5 to whichever cause if they want to create useless dialogue instead of actually helping.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
All online platforms for social communication have some pretty fundamental flaws, including the one we're on. You're talking to a collection of pixels on a computer screen instead of a human being that could alternatively cry in your face or smack you in the mouth. Body language and intonation have a major role in face-to-face communication which is lost in text. To get along in life we all construct fake personas of ourselves with strangers, and it's exacerbated with an online profile and a check mark and an audience of thousands. Alternatively, having the history of your conversations and posts saved forever means it's harder to be allowed to move on from your mistakes. It's easier to ignore people over the slightest disagreement - avoiding difficult conversations which can help both of you grow as people - and create echo chambers. I could go on really. The internet has a great capacity to allow us to learn, grow ourselves, and connect with people across the world but that potential is usually squandered.

I think online communication will always be flawed and inferior to face-to-face communication, I say while I type this on a forum. It should also be remembered that the internet was originally made to be a giant encyclopedia. Would you look for friendship in a dictionary?

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 24, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Internet was made to facilitate the military–industrial complex.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Desperately hoping that this indicates Twitter has money problems and will die soon

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Platystemon posted:

The Internet was made to facilitate the military–industrial complex.

Sorry about that, I should make a distinction between the Internet - the network of machines connected by the TCP/IP protocol suite - and the World Wide Web.

quote:

The Web was originally conceived and developed to meet the demand for automated information-sharing between scientists in universities and institutes around the world.

https://home.cern/science/computing...%20the%20world.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 24, 2020

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

NaanViolence posted:

Nah twitter is worse.

Lol Zuckerberg perveted and corrupted the innocent and pure Facebook, originally created so he could stalk women.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Last Chance posted:

Lol Zuckerberg perveted and corrupted the innocent and pure Facebook, originally created so he could stalk women.

it was originally made because someone else had the basic idea and hired him to make it, and he figured better to just make it for himself

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Where have you been? Hell exists; we're in it right now.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

facebook's original purpose was so zuck could get pics of hot girls to stare at

No doubt. That's why I said theoretically. Facebook's purpose doesn't have to be Zuck's original idea of its purpose.

There is a use case for a publicly-owned or open source version of something that resembles facebook that isn't toxic to humanity. The same cannot be said of twitter.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

NaanViolence posted:

Nah twitter is worse.

Counterpoint, Twitter is how all of the recent color revolutions have organized themselves and Facebook is where boomer cops "like" All Lives Splatter memes

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Oldest Man posted:

Counterpoint, Twitter is how all of the recent color revolutions have organized themselves and Facebook is where boomer cops "like" All Lives Splatter memes

None of this comes even close to outweighing the evil twitter has done by enabling Trump and his ilk.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i dunno, like we're bias because we're still posting on a dead format, like humans in general just like/want whatever it is that social media like blogs offer.

like even the cesspool that was the aol chatroom in the form of discord/ various apps seems to be more popular.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Clearly we all need to go back to IRC, it is the Pure and One true way

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

NaanViolence posted:

On top of that, it got Trump elected.

Lol no it didn't. The media did by covering anything and everything he did because he was good for ratings.

quote:

Trump received more extensive media coverage than Ted Cruz, John Kasich, Hillary Clinton, and Bernie Sanders combined

73% of Americans see his tweets not through twitter, or reposted on Facebook, or any other online platform. But TV.

He could have been posting on loving MySpace and the effect would have been the same.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 25, 2020

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Twitter is not the only thing that got him elected, sure.

They were vile enough, however, to allow his hatred to find a home on their platform so they're the ones who enabled him and enjoyed the profits from the MSM covering his tweets all the time. History happened the way it did. It wasn't myspace that enabled him.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

NaanViolence posted:

There is a use case for a publicly-owned or open source version of something that resembles facebook that isn't toxic to humanity. The same cannot be said of twitter.
I feel like a public version of Facebook or Twitter would be impossible, at least in the US, because of free speech. The first amendment would mean that you have would have to allow even more hate speech than FB or Twitter currently tolerate, just like how the KKK is legally allowed to publicly march.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Sure but your argument seems to be twitter is more evil because of it. Trump being elected was bad but Facebook has been vastly more influential in recruitment for hate groups, influencing various elections and spreading conspiracy theories. Oh and being directly involved in a literal loving genocide.

Twitter isn't a good company. The world would be a better place without it likely but its actual impact isn't as great as people think, Facebook is in a whole other league of its own in terms of damage done to society.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cicero posted:

I feel like a public version of Facebook or Twitter would be impossible, at least in the US, because of free speech. The first amendment would mean that you have would have to allow even more hate speech than FB or Twitter currently tolerate, just like how the KKK is legally allowed to publicly march.

You could host it in a country with more sensible hate speech laws.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1286866843307737088

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Eventually when you have billions of dollars, do you just spontaneously decide to do all of the possible drugs and lose your mind or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Once you have that much money, people stop second guessing your decisions/outright supporting anything you say; combined with the lack of any real legal consequences in your personal or business life, you (rightfully) believe nothing you do is wrong in any way.