Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

Let's sacrifice FDR on the altar of ideological purity.

His family has been New York Old Money since before it was New York. Like some rich 1%er could ever give a gently caress about the working man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cracker King posted:

I hope some talking head pundit can draw attention to the fact that the latest Trump Tweet he specifically says "I" did not record.

I bet he's gonna go for the plausible deniability of not directly recording so he can easily throw a stooge under the bus.

I think the "I" is more about proving face saving for the long and drawn out maybe lying series of statements about tapes. He wasn't delaying answering to intimidate Comey, he was checking if any of his staff was secretly taping him. Not obstruction! You're obstruction!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

To translate.

1. Federal deregulation of insurance plans (except 1 plan per insurer)

2. Block grants for Medicaid

3. Block states from regulating health insurance and gently caress over the injured in medical lawsuits.

4. Massive Medicaid cuts.

Ok, I was able to figure the others out, but please help me parse #2

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

haveblue posted:

Are the things Cruz is asking for compatible with reconciliation?

Yes, just not with humanity.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Dick Trauma posted:

Guillotine production was sent overseas in 1994 and now no one will export them back to us because we can't certify that they won't be used to perform executions. :smith:

Yeah, well, we don't want 'em anyway. I hear that "the gays" use them in their sex rituals.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Boon posted:

Tim Ryan tried to unseat Pelosi after the election, so yes, of course he did.

Care to identify anything in his post that's wrong?

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Lemming posted:

How is "tons of people who rely on Medicaid for healthcare during pregnancy are going to get hosed over" an exaggeration or lie

The tweet said "Pregnancy will make women ineligible to enroll Medicaid." This is not the case. Even the tweeter corrected himself:

https://mobile.twitter.com/DavMicRot/status/877939968626237441

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Is it even possible for them to amend this, get a new CBO score, and then vote on it before the recess? Seems like their whole timeline is based on having submitted it to the CBO early so they can have the score lined up by next week. And they need that score under reconciliation rules, no?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I think that 1 is effectively complete abolition of insurance regulations and that won't fly, 4 is essentially that we must end medicaid and i don't know he can get that, its hard to tell what 2 is but it seems like it's block grants which i assume can't be gotten through. 3 seems like it has a lot of things they could easily throw in to give him a bone.

What most strikes me about this is he's clearly positioning himself to be able to say he negotiated, they didn't, blame them for the bill's failure. On the other hand, I don't think he wants to be the decisive vote killing this. I think its a good sign but i'm still inclined to think it's going to pass.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Kekekela posted:

That means turning medicaid into a slush fund for Republican governors and legislatures to use for things that have nothing to do with healthcare

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Trabisnikof posted:

4. Massive Medicaid cuts.
Lol this bill literally allows states to zero out medicaid and shove everyone on the exchanges, what the gently caress more do you want?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Ron Johnson is at around the intelligence level of a Fox and Friends host.

Elotana posted:

I think RonJon can read a poll.

He's stated this is his last term, so the polling probably doesn't mean poo poo for him.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kekekela posted:

Republicans have forever wanted Medicaid to switch from a federal program where states have varying amounts of flexibility to a "block grant" program where states can do whatever the gently caress they want with the money. That would allow red states to be as evil with the program as they want.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Elotana posted:

Lol this bill literally allows states to zero out medicaid and shove everyone on the exchanges, what the gently caress more do you want?

requiring them to do that

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Nonsense posted:

Kennedy retiring Monday would be the cherry on top.

Wait, What? At this point i think we need to setup a go fund me for giving scotus members blood transfusions from 18 year olds. we can't afford another Trump SCOTUS pick.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

aware of dog posted:

The tweet said "Pregnancy will make women ineligible to enroll Medicaid." This is not the case. Even the tweeter corrected himself:

https://mobile.twitter.com/DavMicRot/status/877939968626237441

Fair, I jumped the gun. Sorry.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Chemzes/status/877962841327714304
https://twitter.com/MatthewNussbaum/status/877965347483201539
https://twitter.com/jonathanweisman/status/877964620480167937
https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/877966851128668161
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/877964632643719168
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/877965795992764416

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
:siren:
https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/877964123530608641
"Kennedy is hosting an unusual alumni luncheon"

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/877966977985265664

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sloober posted:

He's stated this is his last term, so the polling probably doesn't mean poo poo for him.

he also just won re-election he has 6 years to walk that back

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

If Cruz and company got even half this it would make the bill too toxic for even 'moderate' republicans, right?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Xae posted:

His family has been New York Old Money since before it was New York. Like some rich 1%er could ever give a gently caress about the working man.

The rich can have empathy. Many don't but you've got good examples like Charles Darwin's fierce opposition to slavery. You can be a man for the people without being a man of the people.

(That said, despite his hatred of slavery Darwin didn't see anything wrong with the conditions of the British working class so...)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Ah, the "pro-life" party. Abortion must be banned since they claim to consider it murder, but who cares if the pregnant woman receives healthcare, which may be critical to the survival of the fetus? I guess for them if any thing happens to their health it's divine will?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Aves Maria! posted:

lol, I will laugh if Zodiac Killer blows poo poo up again because he's too obsessed with being the Jeezaus hero

Reminder Z-Killer's father drilled it into his childhood mind that he was going to be St. Reagan's one truth regressive messiah .

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cabbit posted:

If Cruz and company got even half this it would make the bill too toxic for even 'moderate' republicans, right?

loving lol

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Cabbit posted:

he might be able to get block grants, I do not think he can get #1 (everyone knows that means "there's the one billion dollar a year plan that covers pre-existing conditions, and there's all these others that don't!), I dont think he can get 4 which reads to me as abolish medicaid entirely, and he can probably easily get 3

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Cabbit posted:

If Cruz gets #1 there is literally no insurance regulation in this country anymore.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Kennedy retiring is a horrifying prospect

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Aves Maria! posted:

lol, I will laugh if Ted Cruz blows poo poo up again because he's too obsessed with being the shakespearean hero

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

B B posted:

Care to identify anything in his post that's wrong?

Yeah sure. It's easy to point to flaws without solutions.

The Democrats have put out plenty of solutions including everything he mentioned. Many D policies including those championed by Clinton AND Sanders were contested at best and are what Ryan is pushing now, and don't you dare mention the word tax raise. Maybe you can blame the messenger.

Ryan has the luxury to lob bombs from his perch, but apparently no ability to articulate a vision, at least not in that article.

E: edited to be more concise. I'll also note that the D's have a huge problem, not often discussed, in the fact that organized labor as a funding source has been so completely crippled.

Boon fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 22, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Speaking of sexual assault, a girl was raped on Bachelor in Paradise(a Bachelor spin-off), on camera, essentially black out drunk, and a producer that witnessed it filed a complaint. But she has always been coded as a villain and bimbo on the show, the show did a review and announced no charges, she's kicked off the show and has been cut off of all social media from all former participants in the show and completely ostracized. It is supremely a hosed up situation and to make matters worse any news you find on it is just slut shaming her.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jesus gently caress, if he actually does retire, that's going to be some horrible loving poo poo.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

Surely he knows better than to do this right?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I take a small bit of pleasure in the fact that every day Cruz is forced to remember he was beaten by Trump.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Not a Children posted:

lmao how in the blue gently caress did they convince young people to line up to catch a bullet after growing up in crippling poverty

Promising 3 squares a day must go a hell of a way

They were drafted and they heard about Pearl Harbor.

Also yes, given that the average physical revealed that something like 25% of draftees were 4H due issues traced to childhood malnutrition, three squares a day after a decade+ of financial hardship went a long way.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

It's possible he doesn't really have a choice, like maybe he's been diagnosed with an illness that will prevent him from continuing as a justice or something. We won't know until it happens, if it does.

If it's just a normal retirement, though, I'm thinking history might not end up looking back on him very kindly.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

Party Plane Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/877966977985265664

“Laws are changing. The statute of limitations for victims of sexual assault are being extended,” added spokeswoman Ebonee Benson. “So this is why people need to be educated. A brush against the shoulder, anything at this point, can be considered sexual assault and it’s a good thing to be educated about the laws.”

Bill Cosby can go gently caress himself.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

He could announce he's planning to retire after the 2018 elections, which could be helpful. It doesn't have to be true, it's not like there's a "No take backsies" rule.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Party Plane Jones posted:

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/877964123530608641
"Kennedy is hosting an unusual alumni luncheon"

Don't worry, I'm sure in an effort to reach out in a bipartisan manner he will appoint Merrick Garlahahahhahahhaahaha.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Kennedy knows if he retires, gay rights go bye bye

gently caress

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So if Kennedy retires, once Roe v Wade is gone, will abortion be basically illegal until the supreme court can be purged of republicans, so like, 5-6 generations? Or what?

e: and gay marriage too I assume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Kennedy knows if he retires, gay rights go bye bye

gently caress

And bodily autonomy

• Locked thread