Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
snype

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

why didn't anyone tell me playing in stereo with two amps sounded so incredible? i don't have an aby thing, just using my stereo outs from ny hof2.

Krustic posted:

I just started doing this. It rules. I just use the stereo out from my EHX pulsar and It sounds good. No weird sound issues. I have been using a fuzz into a bass amp and a overdrive into a guitar amp and I’m loving this setup. Sounds huge. I just stayed away from the 2 amp setup for awhile cause I figured there must be a reason most people don’t use this setup.
There was, and it was 60-cycle hum. My understanding of the cause is limited but it sounds something like: when there is a potential difference (voltage) across the amps' inputs the circuit generates a loud humming sound at 60Hz (the cycle of a/c current). When I first tried this around 1990 I borrowed a Whirlwind A/B selector box to split the guitar signal to two amps but still had a problem with that hum; so I did the exact wrong thing (every body was doing it!) by going to a hardware store and buying a ground-lift plug and put it on one of the amps (do not do this, it is dangerous!) Some people went further and just chopped the ground plug off and really really never do that. But lifting the ground on an amp does break the ground loop that causes the hum.

I built this setup in 1995 or '96. best picture I could find quickly is this one from 2012, it's the original rig. I used a Dunlop stereo tremolo/pan pedal to split the signal to the amp inputs. It was a heavy rig but no worse, really, than trying to carry a half-stack around. Having all the effects and stuff in stereo really is nice.
What I like the most about multiple preamps is that I noticed right away that my crunch sound got noticeably crunchier, even though the two amps have the same amount of gain. My galaxy brain take on it is two separate preamps does something to make your gain sound gainier. So I backed off to the gain I thought I had before and was stunned by how clear it sounded. Although I perceived the lowered gain to be about the same as the higher gain from a single amp, everything got clearer. Individual notes stand out more. How does it get both crunchier and cleaner? I dunno! I did the ground-lift thing until I fairly recently had to put a new rig together as my rack effects can't really be fixed anymore (i.e. impossible to source new ribbon pots for the A.R.T., or the stepped resistors in the BBE, and pedals seem to be where it's at anyway since there are a million options for everything.)

I think the amps are still in fine shape, if dusty and beat-up. But I'm older and don't want to carry heavy stuff anymore and those 50W combos are way too loud for my apartment without final volume control in the effects loops so... I went amp-shopping for something small but beastly. I found the joy that is the Blackstar HT-5H mini-stack and the rest kinda grew naturally from there:

For ground-hum, nowadays you can buy a little Hum X and just plug an amp into it. It works beautifully and your entire circuit remains grounded so less chance of electricity death.

I have run into one problem: The effects loops of the two amps are not even. They are both switchable but there is a big difference in the wet level between the two amps no matter how I set the loop levels.

Does anyone have a reasonably simple solution to this (that lets me keep my current signal chain?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Krustic posted:

I just started doing this. It rules. I just use the stereo out from my EHX pulsar and It sounds good. No weird sound issues. I have been using a fuzz into a bass amp and a overdrive into a guitar amp and I’m loving this setup. Sounds huge. I just stayed away from the 2 amp setup for awhile cause I figured there must be a reason most people don’t use this setup.

Means you have to buy, maintain, and carry two rigs so not something most weekend warriors are bothered about/able to do. Beyond that it's great!

Doesn't have to be dramatic stereo effects either (which probably won't be panned through most PAs anyway) cause just running one dirty amp and one clean sounds huge.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I’ve started using two amps too. It is the poo poo - rooms that used to be problem rooms are suddenly much easier to play in and hear myself, the sound is bigger without being louder and the only down side is of course carrying two amps. For very small spaces, rehearsals and stuff I still just bring one amp but since I’ve started doing it I’ve brought two to every gig.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

How do the JCs fit in to this stereo luv?

My buddy has the JC-22 and it kinda rules.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Happening across a JC-77 started me on a stereo kick that, 20 years on, includes a couple JCs, a pair of Thunderverbs, and the Laneys I'm using as clean guitar and bass amps.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
Anyone have a good alternative to Ultimate Guitar? They've really started to take the good gpro tabs down to force you onto their lovely subscription thing.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Gnumonic posted:

Anyone have a good alternative to Ultimate Guitar? They've really started to take the good gpro tabs down to force you onto their lovely subscription thing.

The subscription tabs are really really good but to be fair I managed to get grandfathered in before it was a sub so I have access permanently. I would probably sign up if they kicked me out though. Nothing that I’ve found comes close, mainly when it comes to having the ability to access them anywhere on mobile.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

The subscription tabs are really really good but to be fair I managed to get grandfathered in before it was a sub so I have access permanently. I would probably sign up if they kicked me out though. Nothing that I’ve found comes close, mainly when it comes to having the ability to access them anywhere on mobile.

Can you download guitar pro versions of the subscription tabs? I guess I wouldn't mind subbing if you could do that but I assumed you couldn't. I did a demo forever ago but I can't remember.

I guess if I just wanted to learn a song 100% as written their online player thing would suffice, but it's not as expressive as grp and it's more annoying to fix errors or change fingerings or transpose something up an octave or whatever, doesn't support notation which makes it harder to understand what's going on musically, and uh, has a shittier speed trainer than gpro from what I recall.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Songsterr is decent, there is a chrome extension to disable the restrictions on the old version.

https://www.songsterr.com/

rio
Mar 20, 2008

It’s sub only now? That’s lovely, no wonder students haven’t used it recently. I guess I’m grandfathered in too. What do they charge per month?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Gnumonic posted:

Can you download guitar pro versions of the subscription tabs? I guess I wouldn't mind subbing if you could do that but I assumed you couldn't. I did a demo forever ago but I can't remember.

I guess if I just wanted to learn a song 100% as written their online player thing would suffice, but it's not as expressive as grp and it's more annoying to fix errors or change fingerings or transpose something up an octave or whatever, doesn't support notation which makes it harder to understand what's going on musically, and uh, has a shittier speed trainer than gpro from what I recall.

I’m not sure. I’ve only used it via iPhone/iPad. If I remember I’ll check on the computer.

Yeah for me it’s just a way to have a well transcribed tab with proper timing whenever I want. The backing track feature is amazing and the speed can go down to .1 so that’s really all I can ask for.

lookslikerain
Jan 10, 2014

If you find yourself in a social situation, make threats.

https://imgur.com/8DzdguU

Bad grounding I assume?

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Hmm, is it different for really popular tabs? I can go on any tab for a metal song that's labeled as a Guitar Pro Tab, then scroll all the way to the bottom, and there's a button that says "Download Guitar Pro Tab". Maybe y'all aren't seeing the button? I opened up my browser in an incognito window and I can still see the button, so it doesn't have anything to do with my account.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Yeesh, I've never heard bad grounding do that but since touching metal is making it happen I'm guessing the issue involves grounding.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i lack the vocabulary to describe how an amp sounds, all i can say about the ac10c1vs is... wow. it sounded a bit thin initially, then after about an hour, settled into an awesome tone. i'm getting that fuckin' chime, the speaker is really clear. there's literally no way to sound bad on this thing. the knobs actually DO something, and they all work together well.

i was concerned about volume, but this is a fantastic bedroom amp that can still be cranked up when you need to

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

The Dark Wind posted:

Hmm, is it different for really popular tabs? I can go on any tab for a metal song that's labeled as a Guitar Pro Tab, then scroll all the way to the bottom, and there's a button that says "Download Guitar Pro Tab". Maybe y'all aren't seeing the button? I opened up my browser in an incognito window and I can still see the button, so it doesn't have anything to do with my account.

That's how it works for the guitar pro tabs. But what they appear to be doing is uploading the highest rated gpro tab for a song into their proprietary system, then removing the gpro tab.

Edit:

They're not doing it super consistently, I mean I found a solid Tornado of Souls tab I was looking for. And it's only popular-ish songs; they aren't touching Joe Stump tabs or whatever.

Double edit:

Is there SERIOUSLY a 7 fret reach in the Tornado of Souls solo? I physically can't do that... Why can't my hands be like 5% bigger...

I know I can tap it but it really bothers me when I run into a song written by someone with ginormous hands that I just can't play.

Gnumonic fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 17, 2019

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I think I'm in way over my head over here.

Nevertheless! Browsing through the first 8th of the book and it seems like a really concise reference that'll help get me where I'm going. It's kind of sweet how all the notation and tabs are written by hand.

quote:

i lack the vocabulary to describe how an amp sounds, all i can say about the ac10c1vs is... wow.

I love love love how when playing it at a gain of about half and volume at nearly 10 with an overdrive pedal, the amp just randomly goes into a harmonic distortion scream that sounds like a grieving mother. I don't know if that's the right term for that sound -- I've heard it before, but never on any of the other amps I've played.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

which overdrive?

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Tube Screamer mini.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

which overdrive?

Mosky B-Box if you need light, Joyo Ultimate Drive if you need heavy. Both run ~$30.

JD
Jan 11, 2003

Thanks for the write up! I think using a structure like that will be useful to me.

Thanks to the others too, I will be integrating a lot of your ideas.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

former glory posted:

I think I'm in way over my head over here.

Nevertheless! Browsing through the first 8th of the book and it seems like a really concise reference that'll help get me where I'm going. It's kind of sweet how all the notation and tabs are written by hand.

Yeah that’s like a life-long process to work through that book. I just randomly flip around and try to pick up some new voicings every so often. He must have had bigger hands than me because I can’t reach some of them.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

i want to change the tubes when the current ones die, are these the filter caps i need to discharge? c9, 10, 15, 16

they say if you have to ask, you shouldn't gently caress around inside, but how else will i learn, yknow?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Given that they say "KV" I think they have a lot of voltage on them

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You shouldn't really need to drain caps just for tubes, they're pretty well insulated and the plug isolates all the wiring so you can't get zapped. These things were designed to be easily replaceable by consumers, after all. Caps are more a worry for when you're messing with other stuff and poking at wiring/chassis with your hands.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Given that they say "KV" I think they have a lot of voltage on them

oh duh

Fender Anarchist posted:

You shouldn't really need to drain caps just for tubes, they're pretty well insulated and the plug isolates all the wiring so you can't get zapped. These things were designed to be easily replaceable by consumers, after all. Caps are more a worry for when you're messing with other stuff and poking at wiring/chassis with your hands.

i don't know about the ac10c1, from what i've seen this amp isn't supposed to be user-serviceable

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 18, 2019

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The caps could also just be rated up to 1kv but never actually go that high in operation

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
This is your weekly reminded that your grandma and (probably) great-grandma changed tubes, you can, too.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

rio posted:

He must have had bigger hands than me because I can’t reach some of them.

Seeing him in videos just fluidly moving between such monster chords is really something.

"Hey new guy, got that F chord all figured out? Yeah? Here you go:"

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
One of the big secrets to making the chord chemistry chords actually playable if you have normal human hands is to transpose them to either use open strings or be higher up the neck. Those stretches are a lot less intimidating past the 12th fret.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Alternatively I could just get a Byrdland or other short scale guitar and pretend that I am also genetically gifted with big guitar hands

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

OK I need advice desperately:

5-tuplets kick my rear end and a bunch of songs I wanna learn have 'em. Normally my strategy for learning hard stuff is to slow it down but somehow slowing down makes the loving things even harder. They're sort of manageable if it's just straight 5-tuplets but Yngwie loves to do like... half a measure of 16th notes followed by half a measure of 5-tuplets followed by triplets or whatever and it's equally impossible at 20bpm or 200.

How the gently caress do I count these things?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Can you show a notated example?

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

is the thing I'm struggling with. I can sort of wing 5-tuplets if I'm sweep picking but with stuff like that Yngwie lick there's no speed at which I can get that to not sound like mush after the 16th notes. I really don't have a "feel" for them at all and I'm not sure what I need to do to develop one.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

:eyepop:

Edit: Try either "ta-ka-ta-ka-ta" or "1-2-3-1-2" I guess?

Siivola fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Apr 20, 2019

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
One suggestion I saw was "hip-po-pot-a-mus". It didn't work for me but maybe it'll work for you.

Is that a "Far Beyond The Sun" lick?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I feel like an old man because I just tested out a freebie SPL phone app on my amp and what I would consider "too loud" is only 75dB

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Because you have sensitive hearing???

Don't worry when you're really old you can annoy the youngins by watching tv shredding through a tube amp at max volume

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
"Too loud" is relative, maaaaaan.

Really, though, too loud by yourself is a different thing than "too loud in a small room with a hard-hitting drummer."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

[

Gnumonic posted:

is the thing I'm struggling with. I can sort of wing 5-tuplets if I'm sweep picking but with stuff like that Yngwie lick there's no speed at which I can get that to not sound like mush after the 16th notes. I really don't have a "feel" for them at all and I'm not sure what I need to do to develop one.

Use a metronome/write something in guitar pro that goes from three time signatures 2/4 then 5/8 then 3/4 so you can practice playing 4 notes then the tricky 5 notes then 6 notes. I did a variation of that to get okay at those even though I rarely use them. My main method was playing four 16ths to the beat and then practicing working in the 5 until I was comfortable. It really is a timing you just have to develop over time. Luckily it’s often 5 notes straight so the timing between those notes can be slightly off as long as you’re hitting the next section on time.

Sorry if that was confusing I’m typing in between making breakfast lol