Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

LordSaturn posted:

what's going on in this issue, some kind of trial by combat thing?

It's one part of it, yeah. See, in the new X-Men run (Krakoa era), any mutant is immortal because they can be resurrected in a moment.

More than a decade ago, some hack writer thought it would be a good idea to depower 95% of all mutant characters. Calysto was one of them. The new writer (Hickman) is incorporating that into his run: depowered mutants can be made whole again, but they can't just suicide to be reborn -- they have to die by combat. So Apocalypse (of course) came up with this arena thing called The Crucible. Calysto dies on this issue and the Fenris were offering to do the deed.

LordSaturn posted:

also I had to google Fenris and what the gently caress are those powers supposed to be? world-beating Nazi super science and they still have to hold hands to do anything? it's like the where-is-your-chin of superpowers

That description is so apt, I'm going to quote this whenever these characters appear again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Why are the X-Men palling around with Nazis

Saoshyant posted:

depowered mutants can be made whole again, but they can't just suicide to be reborn

why not

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

site posted:

why not

They are also resurrecting the entirety of Genosha slowly, millions of mutants. Anyone who dies by The Crucible is brought back immediately. But anyone who dies by suicide is sent to the back of the queue, this to prevent mass suicides as, again, 95% of all mutants were depowered.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

why not

Suicides go to the back of the line behind the 16 million dead from Genosha.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Saoshyant posted:

anyone who dies by suicide is sent to the back of the queue

Did nightcrawler convince Charles to convert all the mutants to Catholicism

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

site posted:

Nightcrawler sees the need for spirituality/religion, but something new just for mutants. He's going to start his own religion.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

Nightcrawler is currently in the process of making a new Mutant religion.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Uthor posted:

He's going to start his own religion.

Written by Simon Spurrier.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Skwirl posted:

Nightcrawler is currently in the process of making a new Mutant religion.

This can’t possibly go wrong

site posted:

Why are the X-Men palling around with Nazis

Every mutant regardless of how terrible gets a clean slate and allowed to live peacefully on Krakoa, except, iirc, the Russians who Beast is keeping in camps.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

thetoughestbean posted:

Every mutant regardless of how terrible gets a clean slate and allowed to live peacefully on Krakoa, except, iirc, the Russians who Beast is keeping in camps.

They chucked Sabretooth down a hole...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

thetoughestbean posted:

Are they still Nazis tho

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

Every mutant regardless of how terrible gets a clean slate and allowed to live peacefully on Krakoa

This allows for such a crazy amount of stories that Apocalypse is now a warlock working with Captain Britain, Mr Sinister runs a group of blackwater mercs (which among their numbers have Nanny and the Orphan Maker), Blob runs a bar, while Magneto, Exodus, Sebastian Shaw and Mystique are government officials.

And Kitty Pryde is now a bad rear end pirate captain. And Aurora and Wolverine's edgy son Daken are having a relationship, and it's the most aww thing.

It's amazing! It's like a good "Age of Apocalypse" take on the X-Men, except it's in the current Marvel universe. Lots of good writers and artists just having fun doing great work -- I don't think there's ever been a better time to like these characters.

thetoughestbean posted:

who Beast is keeping in camps.

And Beast is running the Krakoa CIA (and it's as bad as you think it is).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uthor posted:

They chucked Sabretooth down a hole...
Maybe next time he won't break a law that wasn't a law yet!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

site posted:

Are they still Nazis tho

I think they've only shown up twice, in both cases specifically for Duggan to write people telling them to go piss up a rope. I don't know if they're still nazis. I think over time, much like Baron Zemo or Gruenwald's Red Skull, there's been a soft retcon that their white supremacism and loyalty to nazi stuff was kind of an opportunistic front, and in the past 15-20 years Andreas in particular has been shown as more of just a sleazy rich idiot.

I reread all of Thunderbolts early in the pandemic and honestly Andreas von Strucker was a really weak link in the overall narrative because whatever Nicieza is doing with him is really confusing. Sometimes he seems to be trying to redo the Zemo arc of renouncing his former megalomania, at other times he just seems like a really dumb guy who keeps getting mind controlled. Ellis doesn't make things much better since Strucker is one of the characters he seems to settle for just turning into an exaggerated version of his existing personality, in this case a vain and deluded incest-tornado who's just a huge oblivious creep.

It is one of those things though where you'd kind of expect Krakoa's general policy of amnesty to cause a few more ripples than it has on the page though-- eg with Kate Pryde's higher profile in the chain of command, how does she feel about two neo-nazis or neo-nazi adjacent dorks running around. I think the most we've been shown is a bunch of Morlocks who came looking to get even with Greycrow on the anniversary of the Mutant Massacre.

I dunno, the current mutant status quo raises a lot of thorny questions and eyebrow raising decisions but the writers have done a good job, more or less, of folding these questions into the actual text-- having Nightcrawler grapple with what to do about his faith, having people get pissed off at having to let bygones be bygones with Sebastian Shaw, or having concerns about the new streak of "mutants first" realpolitik that underlies Krakoan foreign policy... they're good comics, in many cases really good comics. I think you've asked now and in the past the same questions a lot of characters within the story have been asking.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superman #14 (1942)

House of Mystery #27 (1954)

Fantastic Four #36 (1965)

Spidey Super Stories #22 (1977)

Spider-Man Team-Up #5 (1997)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Maybe next time he won't break a law that wasn't a law yet!

tbf, "no killing" really shouldn't have to be explicitly stated out loud in order to be a rule everyone should follow

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

TwoPair posted:

tbf, "no killing" really shouldn't have to be explicitly stated out loud in order to be a rule everyone should follow

they sent out sabertooth! so yes, they needed to state it explicitly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TwoPair posted:

TBF it is only "no killing humans" so mutants and Inhumans and Eternals and Deviants and aliens and gods are all fair game, and I think it is reasonable to make that explicit if it's the case.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

TBF it is only "no killing humans" so mutants and Inhumans and Eternals and Deviants and aliens and gods are all fair game, and I think it is reasonable to make that explicit if it's the case.

I figured they'd be all "ape shall not kill ape" but it's only regular rear end humies?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Gaz-L posted:

I figured they'd be all "ape shall not kill ape" but it's only regular rear end humies?

As mentioned before, mutants are immortal now, so it's not actually that big of a deal if they murder each other :v:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

The law as written in the comic is "KILL NO MAN" which seems to be interpreted as humans, specifically.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

And Kitty Pryde is now a bad rear end pirate captain. And Aurora and Wolverine's edgy son Daken are having a relationship, and it's the most aww thing.

It's Kate now.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Skwirl posted:

It's Kate now.

Captain Kate?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

davidspackage posted:

Captain Kate?

Yup.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Gotta say, I really love Kates recent characterization, where she doesn't give a poo poo anymore and does what she feels like, while she effortlessly phases through anything in her way.

Oh. Wrong thread, sorta. Well, the damage is done.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

site posted:

it was actually Apocalypse's idea because he wanted people who were willing to fight to regain their mutant powers to be brought back faster than people who just think "ah I know, I'll just kill myself and then they'll bring me back and I'll have superpowers again"

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

davidspackage posted:

Captain Kate?

Shoulda went with Captain Kitt.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Avast ye, Sheephood.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Skwirl posted:

Suicides go to the back of the line behind the 16 million dead from Genosha.

But didn’t Shinobi Shaw commit suicide? And now he’s back.

I suppose it doesn’t surprise me that Sebastian Shaw decides that whatever society he is in, the rules don’t apply to him. After all when he was drawing up the mutant’s new perfect utopia, his argument was “Capitalism. One of humanities few good ideas. Let’s take that.”

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

I suppose it doesn’t surprise me that Sebastian Shaw decides that whatever society he is in, the rules don’t apply to him. After all when he was drawing up the mutant’s new perfect utopia, his argument was “Capitalism. One of humanities few good ideas. Let’s take that.”

...why did Cyclops not just blow him off the island for that?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

The Question IRL posted:

If you commit suicide specifically to get your powers back you get bumped to the end of the line. If you commit suicide because you found yourself in a Matthew Rosenberg comic they give you a courtesy resurrection as a kind of gentle condolence.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gaz-L posted:

...why did Cyclops not just blow him off the island for that?
According to Magneto, noted right-be-er, the mutant plan is to use capitalist methods from their magical mutant island to gradually squash the flatscans into either not being racist assholes, or into being self-policing racist assholes dependent on mutant beneficience to continue having their current standard of living. Krakoa seems to be a Star Trek style soft post scarcity where there are presumably limits on some things (notably, resurrection throughput) but there isn't want for the standard requirements of life, either through general Krakoa beneficence or because you can just go find a mutant with a relevant power to do you a solid if you need it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

How Wonderful! posted:

If you commit suicide specifically to get your powers back you get bumped to the end of the line. If you commit suicide because you found yourself in a Matthew Rosenberg comic they give you a courtesy resurrection as a kind of gentle condolence.

:eyepop:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

S.W.O.R.D. #002 (2021)

Have I mentioned you should be reading the X-comics?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Tank!!!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

I mean, read Marauders if you wanna know what's up with Shinobi Shaw. But basically people in the upper management of the fledgling government get to skip the line and others are allowed to skip the line if the government wants them too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
family members, x-men and people with potentially useful powers get pushed up the queue all the time. every dead mutant you have ever heard of has already been resurrected until someone says otherwise.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Seems bad when mutant kind grows complacent and lazy by just using the unstoppable might of Worst X-man Ever's power to solve all their problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That's actually kind of what Hickman and a few others have been building towards with the new status quo.