Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

LLSix posted:

... I spent more time modding it than I have playing it in VR and I bought it months ago.

This is Skyrim.Txt though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

8one6 posted:

This is Skyrim.Txt though.

I mean it literally though. I spent an entire weekend doing nothing else but modding it, plus a few hours Friday/Monday. Figure at least 20 hours. Steam lists my playtime as 11 hours, a good chunk of which was debugging mod orders.

I have 447 hours in the flat screen version. I like Elder Scrolls games. I've been playing them since Daggerfall. The VR implementation is astonishingly awful.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
As an opposing opinion on SkyrimVR, I spent about 10 hours choosing/installing mods, and then 90-something hours playing it. And I had a drat blast. Still haven’t “finished” the VR version (expansions, Dragon masks, etc.) but I only had a three-week period to play in. At 67% off, SkyrimVR is highly recommended.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Who owns Space Junkies? It's under 10$ on humble bundle for the next couple of days. I'm hemming and hawing over it

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Zeriel posted:

So my index problem has a name. Pixel inversion. It has something to do with when LCD voltages get out of phase. I opened a ticket with valve and well see where that goes.

http://www.techmind.org/lcd/index.html#inversion

I had the same problem on both displays on my Index. There are a bunch of reports from different people with the same issue with vertical lines/interlacing/pixel inversion/whatever on /r/ValveIndex and it seems like some only have it on one display as the vertical lines go away if they close one eye.

It looks like I had particularly bad hardware luck as my Index Kit had the above display issues, plus the lighthouses both made a constant high pitched squealing/coil whine noise.

I guess it is not always good to be in the very first wave of a release of a new hardware product.

Adding up all the above issues, plus a general dislike of SteamVR compared to Oculus Home, led me to just return the whole Index Kit for a refund. Looks like it's another couple of years with the Rift CV1 for me.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 23, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Penpal posted:

Who owns Space Junkies? It's under 10$ on humble bundle for the next couple of days. I'm hemming and hawing over it

I have it and like it. It's worth a buy for :10bux: if you like arena shooters like Unreal Tournament or Quake Arena.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tetris Effect lookin good in VR, no problems with Vive either https://kotaku.com/tetris-effect-looks-stunning-on-pc-1836612672

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Anyone else encountering audio problems with Alien Isolation on Index? I get this 'failed to hook audio' error when I start it then theres no sound IG. Index headphones are functioning prior to starting the game

Edit: nm fine now

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 23, 2019

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMnMNG_oAjk

Releases on Thursday!

There are some UI choices I think are Bad but I can forgive a lot for VR animal crossing

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
My only hope for the PC version of Tetris Effect is that it'll let me play via tapping the Vive trackpad rather than clicking it. Otherwise I won't be able to play.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Xbox controller my dude

Also that animal crossing looking game is loving adorable my god

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah even on my Rift I wouldn’t play Tetris with the touch controllers. Just hook up an xbone or PS4 controller. Both have the good Dpad you need for Tetris

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

As I said, if I can't use the trackpads, I can't play the game. I suffer from chronic pain and haven't been able to use traditional control methods for nearly three years. An analog stick or d-pad will do me in real quick, and having to click the touchpad will absolutely get me before too long. I'm basically only able to play VR games that aren't super intensive and have touch controls.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I posted this in the PC build thread, but figured it would be worth getting some opinions here since I plan on doing multi task VR :D

quote:

Ok this is my final run, going to buy it this week. Can I get a check on the build make sure I didn't pick any stupid parts?

As a note, I need wifi as I'm not running a cable to where my office desk is. I'm mostly gaming, but while gaming I also have a ton of browser tabs open for work (webwork) as well as streaming a movie or youtube. I'd also like to be able to pin my virtual desktop inside of VR, and that seems cpu intensive on my current system while a VR game is running. So I feel that HT might be important hence the 9900 instead of the 9700.

I tried to commit with the Ryzen recomenation, but I just couldn't get my brain to accept buying an AMD core, sorry :(

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900KF 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($419.99 @ Walmart)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($63.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING (WI-FI) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($165.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($78.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Inland Premium 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card ($539.99 @ B&H)
Case: Phanteks P400S ATX Mid Tower Case ($82.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 650 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($117.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1574.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-23 13:17 EDT-0400

*edit*
I would like a mobo with usb C on it, but I'm having trouble locating one close to this price point.

*edit2*
Just noticed the 9900KF is sold at walmart, if I can't actually find it for that price, I'll just get the 9900K

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Kilazar posted:

I posted this in the PC build thread, but figured it would be worth getting some opinions here since I plan on doing multi task VR :D

Ryzen is a screaming deal right now, IMO HT/SMT is not important, but you can see the benchmarks yourself. For VR gaming it's all about high single thread speeds, nothing uses many cores.

Slickdeals had a 9700k w/Aio + 2070 build for $1199 awhile ago I think that would do you perfectly.

https://slickdeals.net/f/13223230-ibuypower-pro-gaming-pc-computer-desktop-intel-i7-9700k-1199

It's expired now, but there is little to no functional difference between 9700 and 9900 in most tasks.

EDIT: Nothing stupid, looks like a good build, super overkill for your listed tasks. If you want more future proofing then Ryzen with 12 cores 24 threads has some more future proofing while losing capability now.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 23, 2019

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Kilazar posted:

You won’t get the nitpicking suggestions here like you will in that thread. It’s a 9900k and a 2070 Super; what do you expect that not to be able to run very smoothly right now? You’ll do fine with VR related stuff with that build.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Lemming posted:

Releases on Thursday!

There are some UI choices I think are Bad but I can forgive a lot for VR animal crossing

Oculus exclusive. If it was available on Vive I'd never take my headset off again.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Thanks, for the replies. I wasn't looking for nitpicking :D

So if I'm running a vr game, plus pinned my desktop with a netflix/youtube vids, and am casting/streaming, that is still single thread?

*edit*
I get Ryzen is awesome and tons of people like it, but I've never really been able to get behind AMD. Between my own processor issues when I have run it, and working in support front line 2000-2010, experiencing more problems with AMD cores than I ever did with INTEL cores has set a bias I'm unable to break through.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 23, 2019

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Unit24 posted:

As I said, if I can't use the trackpads, I can't play the game. I suffer from chronic pain and haven't been able to use traditional control methods for nearly three years. An analog stick or d-pad will do me in real quick, and having to click the touchpad will absolutely get me before too long. I'm basically only able to play VR games that aren't super intensive and have touch controls.

I've been messing around with it (caveat emptor this is with wmr not vive) and you can't by default switch to touchpad swipes, it only supports touchpad clicks. I couldn't get the steamvr binding stuff to help either, i.e. switching touchpad touch to touchpad press, although they might be more effective with real vive wands. But there is a default setup for mouse that uses mouse gestures and clicks so if you have a mouse, touchpad, or trackball input that you can use that's a possibility as well.

For anyone wondering, Tetris effect launches through steamvr or oculus, works great with wmr, should be no issues with index

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kilazar posted:

So if I'm running a vr game, plus pinned my desktop with a netflix/youtube vids, and am casting/streaming, that is still single thread?
Each of those things might be single thread in themselves but could run on separate cores

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

homeless snail posted:

Each of those things might be single thread in themselves but could run on separate cores

I just worry that 8 cores isn't enough lol. I do like money though and might go down to a 9700. I think the 9900 was also partial future proofing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It'll be cool, like they said most VR games barely make use of more than a single core. I'm still using a 4790k and I'm not getting CPU bound, and can do Netflix overlays in ED or Euro Truck or whatever just fine

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Jenny Agutter posted:

I've been messing around with it (caveat emptor this is with wmr not vive) and you can't by default switch to touchpad swipes, it only supports touchpad clicks. I couldn't get the steamvr binding stuff to help either, i.e. switching touchpad touch to touchpad press, although they might be more effective with real vive wands. But there is a default setup for mouse that uses mouse gestures and clicks so if you have a mouse, touchpad, or trackball input that you can use that's a possibility as well.

For anyone wondering, Tetris effect launches through steamvr or oculus, works great with wmr, should be no issues with index

Thank you, I'll have to keep that in mind. Hopefully I can get the custom binding to work.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Unit24 posted:

Thank you, I'll have to keep that in mind. Hopefully I can get the custom binding to work.

Epic game store has the same refund policy as steam so it's worth a shot

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

LLSix posted:

Oculus exclusive. If it was available on Vive I'd never take my headset off again.

99% chance you'll be able to play it just fine using ReVive https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Lemming posted:

Releases on Thursday!

holy poo poo. Farming! Pets you can pet! Fishing! Just needs paying a mortgage to get the full AC effect.

saphirecalypso
Jul 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
I would like to use VR. What is a good way to start?

I am new to this forum, could anyone help me with VR?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Dafuq?

I guess :10bux: isn't enough anymore.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

if I looking for a headset
him name is hopkin green vive

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Why are 90% of songs on bsaber anime songs? Do licensed songs get pulled or something?

edit: forgot theres a beatsaber thread.

Ghetto SuperCzar fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 24, 2019

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Why are 90% of songs on bsaber anime songs? Do licensed songs get pulled or something?

edit: forgot theres a beatsaber thread.

Most of the people who actually take the time to make songs are weebs.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lemming posted:

Releases on Thursday!

Neat, this looks more expansive than I was expecting it to be. For 15 bucks it *looks* like a steal.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Is there some kind of extensive tutorial for rebinding Vive inputs? I'm trying to make the trackpads work like d-pads, and I don't know what the hell axis 3/4 X/Y values are.

Unit24 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 24, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kilazar posted:

*edit*
I get Ryzen is awesome and tons of people like it, but I've never really been able to get behind AMD. Between my own processor issues when I have run it, and working in support front line 2000-2010, experiencing more problems with AMD cores than I ever did with INTEL cores has set a bias I'm unable to break through.

You are way behind the times on AMD then and should get a Ryzen processor, because they are fantastic. We know AMD has had problems. AMD knows they've had problems. Ryzen was them finally un-loving themselves and getting back on their feet.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You are way behind the times on AMD then and should get a Ryzen processor, because they are fantastic. We know AMD has had problems. AMD knows they've had problems. Ryzen was them finally un-loving themselves and getting back on their feet.

I fully admit the issue is on my end. I just can't bring myself to do it.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
FWIW I just got a 3700x and it's loving great; 90FPS in DCS VR is a very pleasant change of pace after having a 3570k.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gooch181 posted:

FWIW I just got a 3700x and it's loving great; 90FPS in DCS VR is a very pleasant change of pace after having a 3570k.

Not to mention when it comes time to upgrade you're probably not staring down the costs of a new mobo and ram on top of a CPU because Intel rolled out another new socket.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Alright I pulled the trigger on an secondhand Oculus with extra sensor and 1080 oc for 340 bucks which seems like a reasonable deal picking up thurs.

Right now I'm thinking about using it with sone wrist weights to trick myselc into getting fit. Looking at zero caliber, beat saber, and one of them gladiator games for a start.

Might also have to finally upgrade from win7 to 10?

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Huh... So, Fallout 4 VR is on sale for $15. Is it worth it at that price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Owlbear Camus posted:

Right now I'm thinking about using it with sone wrist weights to trick myselc into getting fit. Looking at zero caliber, beat saber, and one of them gladiator games for a start.

That's more likely to gently caress up your shoulders than to make you fit. Don't swing weights around haphazardly.