Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Star ratings or any kind of trustworthy match reviews were important at a time where shows were difficult to come by if they weren't on TV where you lived. You either had to trade tapes or later buy tapes or DVDs. Now where everything is at your fingertips they really aren't that important, you can just watch stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

a lot of people enjoy ratings, rankings, figures, made up statistics, and the like. it's been that way for thousands of years. i don't know what's being discussed. thank you

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
For whatever it's worth, Meltzer's ratings also tend to be largely in line with fan ratings as a whole. I recall him talking about his highest rated matches of the year and comparing them to cagematch or grapple or whatever and I think they agreed with like 19/20.

As with any critic, it helps to know their likes and dislikes and how they compare to yours to use them as a guide as to whether or not something is worth your time. Like Dave isn't a fan of comedy matches, so for Toru Yano matches I see what's mentioned in the MOTYC thread to see what to check out.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Ignoring busted Dave Meltzer for his younger more talented business partner:

I'm watching "Unidentified" on Tubi and two reporters ordered apple juice.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

MassRafTer posted:

For babies?!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

man i could go for a good appy juice

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

GoutPatrol posted:

Dave also has talked about how his original purpose and model of the newsletter wasn't about ratings - it was a trade publication, not a fanzine. It was designed to be read by people in the business. The things the wrestlers cared about were gate sizes, so they could see if the promoters were screwing them on pay.
This isn't the case: It started as a way for Dave streamlining his correspondence with people he traded tapes with. It was absolutely a fanzine at the beginning but it morphed into a trade publication for reasons like you alluded to, such as wrestlers wanting accurate gates. The original monthly "Wrestling Observer" version was explicitly a fanzine, and the (eventually weekly) Wrestling Observer Newsletter that replaced it was, too, but with less of the overtly zine-ish formatting (like getting rid of the xeroxed photos and newspaper clippings). In tone, it continued to be much more fanzine than trade paper until roughly 1991, when his issues with the WWF and then the WWF scandals changed the way he wrote significantly.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

MassRafTer posted:

Star ratings or any kind of trustworthy match reviews were important at a time where shows were difficult to come by if they weren't on TV where you lived. You either had to trade tapes or later buy tapes or DVDs. Now where everything is at your fingertips they really aren't that important, you can just watch stuff.

There's so much stuff you can't possibly watch all of it, so it's just as important to know which are the good matches, the great matches, and double extra great matches.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Cavauro posted:

a lot of people enjoy ratings, rankings, figures, made up statistics, and the like. it's been that way for thousands of years. i don't know what's being discussed. thank you

Callimachus should have made Kurt Angle the 8th

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lone Goat posted:

There's so much stuff you can't possibly watch all of it, so it's just as important to know which are the good matches, the great matches, and double extra great matches.

Aye, that's where the utility is now. You could be wealthy enough to never need to work a day in your life & dedicate yourself to 16 hours of wrestling viewing a day & you'd still hit a fraction of what's out there. Probably, I haven't done the sums. Point is that it's really useful to have other people who are experts in the stuff you'd not normally watch to flag when something essential happens outside your regular orbit. I have no interest in watching full episodes of US TV wrestling, but if something from AEW has a Cagematch rating above 8 it's probably worth my time.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://x.com/davemeltzerwon/status/1776001284102865156?s=46&t=AwMtDeZF_tX5DmOd53fE0g

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah they say I'm bad but they also said YOURE WORSE. So I don't care. :smuggo:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lone Goat posted:

I don't really just want to watch random great matches. I found the companies that run the kind of styles I want to watch and watch those. I can just watch everything from the companies I like without having to hope I can get tapes or buying $20 DVDs to follow the company.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

he should have used the 'I dont think about you at all' meme here

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The Punk camp
https://twitter.com/Fumihikodayo/status/1776490531356581910

presumably Fumi was front row because he was a Bull Nakano or Rossy +1

Malikov
Jan 25, 2015
Reminder that Bischoff turns 69 at the end of next month. What a way to live out your twilight years arguing with people on the musk app.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Bryan's reviews last night were the best in a long time. Especially Dalton vs. Johnny

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

He sold for AIR

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Listening to the start of WOR is amazing.

Bryan: I've done 4 shows today. I've covered Smackdown, Bloodsport, NXT, Supercard of Honor & Wrestlemania 40, so I want the fans to know tha-
Dave: We still have to cover those!
Bryan: I want the fans to know that I don't want t-
Dave: There's news from those shows we have to cover!
Bryan: Don't want to hear that w-
Dave: We gotta talk about them!
Bryan: Hear that we didn't cover this or that, because we did cover them. Anyway, Dave's watched the Hall of Fame an-
Dave: I haven't watched all of it!
Bryan: The Hall of Fame and als-
Dave: I've seen bits and pieces, and heard news, but I haven't watched it all.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
he Interrupts garret so much less it's crazy

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I assume he’s just completely zoned out from Garrett’s insanely boring stories

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think Dave is wide awake and wired at 1am when he wants to do the shows, and Bryan is half dead from sleep deprivation, and it results in beautiful comedy. Whenever Dave and Bryan are together in the same place and in the same time zone they always seem to be so much more in sync.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dave thinks Gabe Kidd's promo about how Tanahashi should go into Tony Khan's office, bend over and take it (in reference to AEW getting New Japan talent) was insinuating that Tanahashi is doing sexual favors for Tony Khan :lol:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/TrevorDame/status/1776912477965492477

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
the f4w website is very unpleasant

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
What Deadlock ep had the Patron named "I have a small dick and even smaller balls" I need to hear it again

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

RealityWarCriminal posted:

the f4w website is very unpleasant
bryan just gets anyone he’s friends with to work for him regardless of how incompetent they are (see: podcast personality craig proper) and i think the site was designed by a buddy or in law or something

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dave’s brother in law

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
:lol:

https://x.com/therealclassic/status/1776996587635368021?s=46

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Forgetting the best part which was in response to Mania being cold Bryan bragged about wearing a short sleaved shirt to his guns when he picks up his kid from school in 45 degree weather

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
bryan tweeting his mania weekend schedule but its just recording five podcasts while he has the house to himself

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I haven’t been listening to WOR much recently, did Bryan say why he didn’t go to Mania? I feel like he generally went outside of the pandemic years.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TL posted:

I haven’t been listening to WOR much recently, did Bryan say why he didn’t go to Mania? I feel like he generally went outside of the pandemic years.

traffic lol

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Scared of punk

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

TL posted:

His kids' Spring Break is this upcoming week for some weird reason, and the Alvarez family isn't going to spend their Spring Break in Philadelphia. Also, Dave didn't want to go so there was no chance of making money on the trip.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

apophenium posted:

What Deadlock ep had the Patron named "I have a small dick and even smaller balls" I need to hear it again

you're gonna have to be way more specific

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Jerusalem posted:

I think Dave is wide awake and wired at 1am when he wants to do the shows, and Bryan is half dead from sleep deprivation, and it results in beautiful comedy. Whenever Dave and Bryan are together in the same place and in the same time zone they always seem to be so much more in sync.

I was under the impression that Dave watches the east coast feeds of Raw and Dynamite and Bryan watches the west coast feed so why is Bryan always complaining about starting late?

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

dave is usually up lifting until like 3 in the morning, then he's back at it by 5 or 6. he's a machine

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

Jerusalem posted:

Sounds about right with Dave. He was arguing with randos at 3:30am on Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

1glitch0 posted:

I was under the impression that Dave watches the east coast feeds of Raw and Dynamite and Bryan watches the west coast feed so why is Bryan always complaining about starting late?

Bryan usually watches well after the west coast feed has aired so he can fast-forward.