Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I do 835 EUR kalt for a 70 qm apartment in Darmstadt, which is a university town like Heidelberg and also renowned for being expensive. Though I imagine Heidelberg is even moreso, given the stature of its university.

I'm switching from a freelancer job making an hourly income to an employed, salaried position in the coming months, so my budgeting is going to take a little time to figure out. The new job has a monthly salary of around 4000 brutto, but I have no idea what my actual take-home will be. I don't expect to have any issues, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Assuming you're with a gesetzliche Krankenkasse and not married, that's about 2400€ a month. If you made anything near that while freelancing, I want to know your trade and/or secret.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Badly Jester posted:

Assuming you're with a gesetzliche Krankenkasse and not married, that's about 2400€ a month. If you made anything near that while freelancing, I want to know your trade and/or secret.

IT. :v:

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
And not a day goes by where I don't question my life choices. I'm a linguist.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Badly Jester posted:

I'm actually getting out of IT into a position that I'm theoretically overqualified for (but that they've since changed a bit to fit the direction I want to go into). The money in IT is great if you're good at it, but you've got to be comfortable freelancing. I've been a contractor for my entire adult life, I'm tired of not knowing if I'll be making the same money or having the same clients 6 months from now. IT, at least in the subfield of it that I work in, can be quite volatile and hard to predict. I'm probably trading a little money for stability, which I think in the long-run is going to be better and healthier for me. IT can be incredibly stressful and I've seen too many people develop too many heart conditions due to workplace-related stress and politics.

Then again, I honestly don't have a clear idea what my net take-home is monthly as a freelancer anyway... I leave the taxes and everything to my Steuerberater, when he says "pay this much on this date", I do it. :ohdear:

Drone fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 5, 2015

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

Badly Jester posted:

Read this thread, and I can guarantee that by the time you are finished you'll be happy not to work in IT again.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Drone posted:

The money in IT is great if you're good at it, but you've got to be comfortable freelancing. I've been a contractor for my entire adult life, I'm tired of not knowing if I'll be making the same money or having the same clients 6 months from now. IT, at least in the subfield of it that I work in, can be quite volatile and hard to predict. I'm probably trading a little money for stability, which I think in the long-run is going to be better and healthier for me. IT can be incredibly stressful and I've seen too many people develop too many heart conditions due to workplace-related stress and politics.
The first years (if not decade) in academia are pretty much the same, except the pay's poo poo, too. I'd trade a little money for stability in heartbeat (it's the German way, after all).

Default Settings posted:

Read this thread, and I can guarantee that by the time you are finished you'll be happy not to work in IT again.

I actually do read that thread from time to time just for shits and giggles. I can laugh about these stories, but I also have no illusions as to whether I could do the job. If my experiences with helping relatives and friends with their computers is anything to go by, then working IT support, I'd probably have a brain aneurysm halfway into my second day. Then again, students can be real dipshits as well.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
As somebody living in a train station I'd like to point out that a net income of 2300 for a single person is already advice above, Ihr reichen Protzer.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Did somebody say something? All those hundred euro bills flying around here are blocking my screen. I should invest in a cellar to store all that poo poo scrooge mc duck style.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Stupid payroll withholding not taking my deductions into account, making me a poor. :(

More on topic I was shopping for a flat in Dusseldorf and while I found two nice ones you're kinda screwed if you are on a budget and the flats marketed to the 500 and below audience all sucked tremendously. As did the realtors for them.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Randler posted:

More on topic I was shopping for a flat in Dusseldorf and while I found two nice ones you're kinda screwed if you are on a budget and the flats marketed to the 500 and below audience all sucked tremendously. As did the realtors for them.

Are there ways to find a decent apartment that don't involve (a) paying a bunch of money or (b) Klüngel?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Gold and a Pager posted:

Are there ways to find a decent apartment that don't involve (a) paying a bunch of money or (b) Klüngel?

Be willing to extend an offer while you are shown the object and exclusively go for objects managed by the owner himself or a Hausverwaltung.

And as always a Genossenschaft is something to keep in mind as well.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Apartment chat: my girlfriend and I finally got an apartment in Frankfurt! It's in Bockenheim, 50 qm, two rooms with Einbauküche (ohne Abstand!), 730€ warm. I'm loving excited!

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Congratulations! Now you can go to the Senckenbergmuseum every day.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Badly Jester posted:

Congratulations! Now you can go to the Senckenbergmuseum every day.

Just looked this up and it looks awesome. Definitely gonna go there soon after moving!

some old car parts
Aug 2, 2011

Makes me a very poor man
Hey, me and two friends are currently in berlin and we will be for another week. We were planning to do the obvious sightseeing and want to hit up some museums.

But I was wondering if anyone had any interesting last minute recommendations? Like a good biergaten or brewwry or something. We're pretty much up for anything. Can't read the thread back too much because of phoneposting. So any tips would be appreciated.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
besides the obvious Hofbräuhaus (haha) near Alexanderplatz, I can wholeheartedly (at least from how I enjoyed it as a teenager) recommend the Zitadellenschänke http://www.zitadellenschaenke.de/en/speisen.html - it's 50 bucks but you get great medieval style food in the cellar of a fortress. Only downside is that it's about 20-30 minutes by subway from the center of the city.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Go to Aufsturz. So many beers. Hundreds of beers. http://www.aufsturz.de/

some old car parts
Aug 2, 2011

Makes me a very poor man

AstroWhale posted:

Go to Aufsturz. So many beers. Hundreds of beers. http://www.aufsturz.de/

That's literally two minutes from our hostel so we will definitely be checking that out tomorrow. Thanks that's a awesome suggestion

Pieces
Jan 25, 2011
What's my best bet if the train (DB) conductors strike on Wednesday to get from Berlin to Utrecht (have an Airbnb reso for Friday).

Fly RyanAir to Amsterdam and train down?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

DrApple posted:

That's literally two minutes from our hostel so we will definitely be checking that out tomorrow. Thanks that's a awesome suggestion

That reminds me, https://www.offside-wedding.de is a good pub too. Not too pricey either.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Pieces posted:

What's my best bet if the train (DB) conductors strike on Wednesday to get from Berlin to Utrecht (have an Airbnb reso for Friday).

Fly RyanAir to Amsterdam and train down?

There are Eurolines night buses from Berlin to Utrecht, but that takes a while. Probably bus options to Amsterdam as well.
There aren't always cheap flights between big cities that are closer to each other, but I think Ams-Berlin is okay, and Easyjet does it.

There's two train options, the ICE and the regular Intercity, maybe one of them does run. I didn't hear about any upcoming strikes...

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I wouldn't worry too much about a strike tomorrow. The GDL is meeting tomorrow to talk about going on strike again, and they usually give at least a day of advance warning.

Pieces
Jan 25, 2011
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSL5N0VO0JD20150214?irpc=932

Was going off of this - our train is Friday morning and it says 'could be as soon as next weekend' dated on Saturday (feb 14th).

Fingers crossed!

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Oh, best of luck then. I was only looking at the union's website, and that didn't mention any concrete plans.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

So, I've been thinking about making a few changes to my life. One of them is living in a ski town. I love the buildings, love the environment, love snowboarding, love the cold. It's basically something that would make me happy. Problem is, most ski towns are expensive as gently caress to live in. Any advice on a good town to live in that has a mountain nearby? I work in IT (consultant for Microsoft products), so I think that's going to be my biggest problem. Is there a German city that might have IT jobs and looks and feels like something like Andorra or Chamonix?

E: I'm Portuguese but I'm also a fast learner.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

orange sky posted:

So, I've been thinking about making a few changes to my life. One of them is living in a ski town. I love the buildings, love the environment, love snowboarding, love the cold. It's basically something that would make me happy. Problem is, most ski towns are expensive as gently caress to live in. Any advice on a good town to live in that has a mountain nearby? I work in IT (consultant for Microsoft products), so I think that's going to be my biggest problem. Is there a German city that might have IT jobs and looks and feels like something like Andorra or Chamonix?

Munich probably has tons of jobs in that direction and is also only like an hour away from the Alps. It's also goddamn expensive, though. Even more so in pretty much all of Switzerland. Austria has several larger towns liying in the Alps, most notably Salzburg and Innsbruck, maybe look around there? I don't think that the full-on ski resort towns of Germany and Austria like Kufstein, Schladming or Garmisch have too many IT jobs available, though - mostly they are litle towns/villages where you'll find tourism and agriculture and not much inbetween. Maybe hotels need IT consultants on a regular basis, but I don't know the first thing about that.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Also think about Bolzano in South Tirol, Italy. It is a great ski town, and it's half-Austrian culturally. I don't know about IT jobs specifically but the Bolzano/Trento/Rovereto area has good universities which is usually a good sign that there are other science/technology companies too. There's the FBK research center and some spinoff companies from that.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 19, 2015

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

orange sky posted:

IMO you have two options: A) live in a ski town and be a proper ski bum, working as waiter or for the ski resort or whatever in the slummiest, cheapest place you can find or B) live in a city and work in IT in the week while going skiing every weekend. That could be Munich, Innsbruck, Geneva or similar. Munich might be easiest to find a job...

rumtherapy
Feb 23, 2015

intox
Any good universities in places with low living costs? Looking to study in Germany for a year or two. Have little clue about what I'm going to do.

I'm an Electrical Engineering major. Possible math major too.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I'm not sure about EE but my brother is doing ME in Magdeburg and it's shockingly cheap.

rumtherapy
Feb 23, 2015

intox
I see that's in the north. I forgot where but I recall a piece of information telling me that the south of Germany is usually more expensive, but then again this is just one Uni and I've got no other basis. Neat info though ,thanks.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

rumtherapy posted:

I see that's in the north. I forgot where but I recall a piece of information telling me that the south of Germany is usually more expensive, but then again this is just one Uni and I've got no other basis. Neat info though ,thanks.

Not that it matters, but for all Germans, Magdeburg would be considered to be in the east, since it lies in former East Germany. But it's still distinct from the south, which is indeed generally more expensive.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
University towns in the north and the west can, however, be quite expensive as well. Cities such as Münster, Hamburg, Cologne or Düsseldorf can be expensive due to the university's popularity or the general city's high cost of living.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

rumtherapy posted:

I have heard very good things about Leipzig as a city to study in, with affordable housing, quite a bit of cultural stuff happening and a decent university. That might be worth investigating. Many of the more traditional places to study in the south (Karlsruhe, Heidelberg, Freiburg) tend to be rather expensive.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.

rumtherapy posted:

Yes, come to Magdeburg. We have everything (except good Mexican food).

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Hahaha my brother complains about that too.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

rumtherapy posted:

Any good universities in places with low living costs? Looking to study in Germany for a year or two. Have little clue about what I'm going to do.

I'm an Electrical Engineering major. Possible math major too.

Good Electrical Engineering:
-TU Munich - good city, but expensive
-RWTH Aachen - city is so-so (apparently also major sausage fest due to mass of engineers), no idea about costs, probably average
-TU Darmstadt - small city but close to Frankfurt, expensive
-TU Dresden - pretty nice city to live, relatively cheap
also pretty good:
-KIT Karlsruhe - lame city, expensive
-TU Berlin - great city, can be cheap

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Crossposting from the Pictures thread in D&D:

Accretionist posted:

Average ages around the world:

drat, we old :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
Maybe it will become easier to find a decent place to live eventually, then! :argh: