Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Having watched a ton Nitros from all throughout its run recently you can really hear the deflation in Bobby's voice from when the product was good vs. anything after 1997. There's a genuine joy that pops up every now and then but you can really hear he's just dead inside near the end of his run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

LordPants posted:

I just bought that book yesterday. I love how it's like

"Then I had a match with X who was the greatest wrestler and was really nice and tought me a whole bunch. He did his signature move, and he was such a pro he barely touched me, but I sold the hell out of it.

After that we all went home and had a shower. Keith and Smith pissed in my and Owen's mouths. But the worst was peeing in your eyes, it stung like crazy."

Please be exaggerating this last part. I don't want to think about people peeing on the Hitman.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Defiance Industries posted:

Please be exaggerating this last part. I don't want to think about people peeing on the Hitman.

It's pretty much he first thing we learn about him. As kids they all showered together and his older brothers used to piss in his and his younger brother's faces. He writes this in a completely nonchalant manner that suggests this isn't incredibly hosed up and all children probably do it.

Bret Hart posted:

After dinner my dad would take us boys down to the basement and let us wrestle one another, teaching us the basics. Then he would get us to run around in a circle on the mat and, in a strange version of dodge ball, try to knock our feet out from under us using one of his heavy leather medicine balls. I used to love this game and was often the last one standing.

Then it was time to hit the shower. Dean and I usually ended up crying because Smith and Bruce would pee in our mouths or blast us right in the eyes, which burned. The best we could manage was peeing on their legs. There was no point telling on them because in the Hart house you were only guilty of something if you got caught.

Afterwards, we’d all put on our pajamas and watch Bonanza, which came on at nine o’clock. I liked to imagine we Harts were like the Cartwrights.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 29, 2012

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

That one woman in Wrestling with Shadows said that Bret inspired her to go back to school for computer graphics.

I bet she never de-referenced a null pointer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgwTm1P37l4

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Right now on Classics OnDemand they have the Pillman/Guerrero match where Pillman got Heenan to drop an F-bomb on air. I'd heard of the match before but didn't realize how pissed Heenan got.
now

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Hirams Bitch posted:

Right now on Classics OnDemand they have the Pillman/Guerrero match where Pillman got Heenan to drop an F-bomb on air. I'd heard of the match before but didn't realize how pissed Heenan got.
now

It was due to him touching his neck and Bobby had surgery on his neck.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

He later writes that the greatest moment was when he and his sons pissed on the side of the road.

Sorry about the double post

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 29, 2012

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Astro7x posted:

That type of bullshit completely ruined any credibility that the announce team had. Surely they had to realize that calling every night the greatest night in pro wrestling history had to look silly, right?

What you couldn't see was Heenan doing this as he said it :jerkbag:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

He later writes that the greatest moment was when he and his sons pissed on the side of the road.

Bret Hart posted:

After TVs on April 5 I stood off on the side of the road with Dallas and Blade on a dark star-lit night arcing our piss in three varied heights. As the moon peaked out between clouds I felt proud as I wondered how many other wrestling dads over the years had enjoyed this same kind of moment with their sons.

Bret Hart is seriously into pissing.

Bret Hart posted:

I soon got used to long drives, listening to music, singing, going from town to town, finding camaraderie in this strange mix of humanity. The bus would pull over in the middle of nowhere for a piss stop and that was a sight unto itself: Men of all different sizes and colors pissing at the side of the road while gazing up at the northern lights.

In the wee hours of the morning, a kind young nurse finally wheeled me into a shower. I cried like a baby out of gratitude as this sweet girl washed me clean. It’d been about sixteen hours since I pulled off the bike path to relieve myself, and with the water running, I pissed for a very long time.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 30, 2012

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

This is like learning Chris Jericho is the Goatse guy.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

This is like learning Chris Jericho is the Goatse guy.

Well, according to his second book...

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Goddammit wrestling. :gonk:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Brett Hart is into: Pissing, God and loving Tonnes of Chicks.

Also, that Warrior story is straight up horrible. :smith:

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I always knew Bret was into being shirtless (seriously, watching Wrestling With Shadows and count up how many minutes the guy actually has a shirt on), but this pissing thing is news to me.

Not sure if it makes me want to read his book more or less.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

nasboat posted:

I always knew Bret was into being shirtless (seriously, watching Wrestling With Shadows and count up how many minutes the guy actually has a shirt on), but this pissing thing is news to me.

Not sure if it makes me want to read his book more or less.

For my opinion it's the best wrestling book ever written. People just like to focus on the silly. Similar to how the only thing I can remember about Foley's first was cookies in DDP's bed.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Lone Rogue posted:

For my opinion it's the best wrestling book ever written. People just like to focus on the silly. Similar to how the only thing I can remember about Foley's first was cookies in DDP's bed.

It honestly could be the best wrestling book I've read, despite its flaws. Maybe even BECAUSE of its flaws. It's such an amazing look into Bret's mind.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

It honestly could be the best wrestling book I've read, despite its flaws. Maybe even BECAUSE of its flaws. It's such an amazing look into Bret's mind.

Yep, its seriously an awesome book. Brets had such an interesting life and been in the business so long hes experienced it all. Also, its a very detailed book and Bret gives definitive opinions and answers on stuff.

Also, I love urine and I've read lots of books where I say "you know, this book would be much better with lots of piss in it" and thats certainly not a complaint in this one.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Exactly. Some people feel disappointed about it because it's in the biased mind of Bret Hart but I think that's what ghostwritten books end up failing. You don't get even a glimpse of the mind of the wrestler, just what he did.

It's interesting because most people focused on the pissing stuff as the most absurd portion of the book. For me it was the old rat that Dynamite Kid banged.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
My favourite part of Bret's book was all the wrestlers getting high/drunk and trashing Ric Flair's hotel room by doing their finishers on Vince.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

My favourite part of Bret's book was all the wrestlers getting high/drunk and trashing Ric Flair's hotel room by doing their finishers on Vince.

It was awesome when he told part of the story at the WWE HOF.

"And Hogan, he could always stir up poo poo."

*camera pans to Hogan looking shifty eyed*

Start at 5:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL-j1-rFI-o

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 30, 2012

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Lone Rogue posted:

It's interesting because most people focused on the pissing stuff as the most absurd portion of the book. For me it was the old rat that Dynamite Kid banged.

The book is so packed I had forgotten about that. Most the Dynamite Kid stories that spring to mind from the book are the ones where Kid acted like an rear end in a top hat in the ring (or out of it). Especially the time when he kicked Bret in the head when Bret was blading. So yeah, buy this book.

Specifically on the subject of WCW, here in this WCW thread, it was so sad watching Bret's final days in WCW in Oatgan's WCW threads, where Bret just kept wrestling despite the concussion - working Jerry Flynn (who kicked him in the head) and Terry Funk in hardcore matches. You look back and realize that the superkick was the catalyst, but if Bret took a month or two off he'd have been okay. The more we know now.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The book is so packed I had forgotten about that. Most the Dynamite Kid stories that spring to mind from the book are the ones where Kid acted like an rear end in a top hat in the ring (or out of it). Especially the time when he kicked Bret in the head when Bret was blading. So yeah, buy this book.

Specifically on the subject of WCW, here in this WCW thread, it was so sad watching Bret's final days in WCW in Oatgan's WCW threads, where Bret just kept wrestling despite the concussion - working Jerry Flynn (who kicked him in the head) and Terry Funk in hardcore matches. You look back and realize that the superkick was the catalyst, but if Bret took a month or two off he'd have been okay. The more we know now.

Also how out of it he looked all the time. There was a glazed look in his eyes the entire time.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Echoing what everyone else said, we are just focusing on some of the silly poo poo. It's the best wrestling book ever written.

Bringing it back to this thread, it's entirely depressing to read EVERYTHING involving WCW in this book. It's a good thing that Bret has a nice sense of humor, because the ending of this book is basically black as can be (starting right when he leaves WCW). I remember that the end of the book was really hard to get through, because it was soul crushingly sad. So happy to hear that Bret is on good terms with everyone now. Did he ever add anything else to the ending of book - post WWE return?

It's been awhile since I've read it, but wasn't it Bret's idea to "get some juice" for the famous WM13 Austin-Hart match, and Vince got super pissed? It's really funny how that famous shot of Austin bleeding out in the Sharpshooter is one of (if not THE) most iconic shots in WWE history.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

It's been awhile since I've read it, but wasn't it Bret's idea to "get some juice" for the famous WM13 Austin-Hart match, and Vince got super pissed? It's really funny how that famous shot of Austin bleeding out in the Sharpshooter is one of (if not THE) most iconic shots in WWE history.

Bret said he bladed Austin without cluing him in, and since no one noticed him do it, everyone figured it was hardway.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I actually never got around to it, and would like to get the book. Does anyone remember what they edited in the American version? iBooks and Kindle only have that one.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

I don't even think "a month or two off" would have been enough. Compare Bret's situation in WCW to the NHL's biggest star Sidney Crosby. He got a concussion a YEAR ago and is still out.

It's completely crazy that Bret got a major concussion then KEPT GETTING HIT IN THE HEAD.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

triplexpac posted:

I don't even think "a month or two off" would have been enough. Compare Bret's situation in WCW to the NHL's biggest star Sidney Crosby. He got a concussion a YEAR ago and is still out.

It's completely crazy that Bret got a major concussion then KEPT GETTING HIT IN THE HEAD.

Yeah, this can be a thing. As someone who suffered several concussions in a row, much like Bret (thanks, college football!), it does depend on a combination of severity, if you've had more than one concussion, and plain luck. Given Bret's career, it's logical that he would have needed a lengthy amount of time off.

Either way, suffering more and more brain trauma is never a good thing.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

At least he got out before all the headshots made him sharpshooter his kids to death.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Rapetimus Prime posted:

At least he got out before all the headshots made him sharpshooter his kids to death.

That would take too long.
How about drowning instead?
From pee in their mouths.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Will there be any Sullivan WCW tonight?

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

triplexpac posted:

Crosby got a concussion, came back for 8 games after being out for nearly a year, then he got hit again and started having concussion symptoms and nobody knows when he'll be back this time.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
There wasn't the same concussion awareness 12 years ago that there is now, unfortunately. I'm sure if we knew then what we know now Bret may never have wrestled with all those brain injuries.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ryan Church and Jason Bay had concussions and neither have really been the same.

Of course the Mets in both instances immediately put them on planes.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
And to think Christopher Nowiski's greatest contribution to the wrestling business has come outside of the ring. I think his research is part of the reason concussion awareness has become so mainstream.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Retail Slave posted:

And to think Christopher Nowiski's greatest contribution to the wrestling business has come outside of the ring. I think his research is part of the reason concussion awareness has become so mainstream.

It's almost entirely due to him, and that's great.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

It's almost entirely due to him, and that's great.

His second greatest thing? The political debate with Scot Stiener

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

triplexpac posted:

well, part of Crosby's situation was that he was a loving idiot who went to a "chiropractic neurologist" who thought that manipulating his spine would cure his concussion, then started playing again on the basic of advice from this utter loving quack.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Lamuella posted:

well, part of Crosby's situation was that he was a loving idiot who went to a "chiropractic neurologist" who thought that manipulating his spine would cure his concussion, then started playing again on the basic of advice from this utter loving quack.

Also, as it turns out...it might not have been a concussion anyway, it was some cracked vertebra.

Which the Penguins sent Crosby to a chiropractor for. An aggressive chiropractor.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

AsInHowe posted:

Also, as it turns out...it might not have been a concussion anyway, it was some cracked vertebra.

Which the Penguins sent Crosby to a chiropractor for. An aggressive chiropractor.

Aren't chiropractors about as much use as homoeopaths?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Z-Magic posted:

Aren't chiropractors about as much use as homoeopaths?

The actual science behind chiropracty is rejected by the scientific community, IE it's bunk. Some chiropractors, however, are essentially massage and stretching therapists, which is a way of being right for the wrong reasons - at least for minor issues.

You don't want to go to a chiropractor for a concussion, or god forbid, a loving CRACKED VERTEBRATE.