Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

SamuraiFoochs posted:

So with Stitcher (my podcast aggregator of choice) shutting down soon, are Spotify, Amazon, Apple, and Google my only options with both apps and websites to allow for easy continued listening across devices? Also do any of those 4 allow for the importing of external RSS feeds for like Patreon content and whatnot?

This makes me so sad. :(

PocketCasts supports all the platforms, has a web player, and allows external feeds

If you're into the Apple ecosystem then Overcast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

101 posted:

PocketCasts supports all the platforms, has a web player, and allows external feeds

If you're into the Apple ecosystem then Overcast

I am not, so PocketCasts it is for me!

I assume they allow for importing of show lists? I've already downloaded my Stitcher list and emailed it to myself. Also thanks friend! Already had another homie recommend PocketCasts, so it seems like that's the choice! :)

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I assume they allow for importing of show lists?

Assuming Stitcher gave you an OPML file, then yeah

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Also thanks friend!

No worries :)

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

101 posted:

Assuming Stitcher gave you an OPML file, then yeah

No worries :)

Yup! Sure did! Does that also track listening history or just follows/subscriptions?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Yup! Sure did! Does that also track listening history or just follows/subscriptions?

I believe just subscriptions, but it's been a few years since I've done it

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

101 posted:

I believe just subscriptions, but it's been a few years since I've done it

That's what I figured, but ah well.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
RIP Widow Howl App

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Okua posted:

Hopping in again to ask if anybody knows a good podcast about professional cycling. What with the Tour de France coming up am so on. The world of sports podcasts is completely unknown to me!

You might try your luck in the Pro Cycling thread, there's knowledgeable folks there.
I like The Geraint Thomas Cycling Club - and they're planning on doing 5 episodes per week for the Tour - but I don't know if it'll be a good "general TDF" podcast (if that's what you're looking for)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Podcast Addict doesn't have its webplayer linked to your account yet but it's a good option to keep in the back pocket, I've used it for years. Lets you import RSS feeds, can load MP3s right off the phone, tracks subscriptions and individual episode progress, works on Android, it's good.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I like Overcast the best but for me playlists are very important and most apps support of them is pretty bad.

I think Downcast is also good (bad playlist support though) and Castro (playlist only pretty much) are good.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Pobrecito posted:

Going on a cross-country road trip with my boomer dad. The only podcasts I've ever really been into are Mike Duncan's Revolutions/History of Rome and the Blowback podcast and I enjoyed those. I've got Hardcore History on my list, but I'm looking to get some others for variety. I think my dad would like some history/sports (baseball & football) stuff, but I'm also open to other subjects that a mid-sixties guy might be into.

Neither of us really like discussion/talk radio type shows. Any recs would be appreciated.

Sorry I'm so late with this, but I heartily recommend Fall of Civilizations podcast.
There are nice youtube videos to go along with it, but they aren't necessary

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I don't think this subforum is really for music podcasts/playlists but I asked this in the NMD recommendation thread and haven't gotten a response. Does anybody know of something similar to Reverberation Radio? It's basically playlists of older stuff, lost hits, international music and deep cuts from more popular artists. Reverb radio dosen't really post's to many playlists anymore unfortunately.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

gurragadon posted:

I don't think this subforum is really for music podcasts/playlists but I asked this in the NMD recommendation thread and haven't gotten a response. Does anybody know of something similar to Reverberation Radio? It's basically playlists of older stuff, lost hits, international music and deep cuts from more popular artists. Reverb radio dosen't really post's to many playlists anymore unfortunately.

I never heard of that but I find that Radio FIP is pretty good for radio stuff. It's a national French radio station that's ad-free. They play about 15 minutes of music and the announcer will say a thing or two for about 30 seconds to a minute and then back to music. They play a wild amount of different things, contemporary to old, from jazz to rap. There'll be some reggae at least once an hour and there's some other patterns you pick up here and there(like every fourth song or so being in French), but I've never heard them repeat a song, not really anyway.

You can stream via their website.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Generally the move for unusual music is WFMU. They have a very long and cool history which I won’t get into but basically it’s a long running 100% listener sponsored freeform radio station. Their online archives are extensive and many shows are available online. Some of the shows are too eclectic/weird for many people, but there’s plenty of crowd pleasers.

I like Downtown Soulville, dj Mr. Fine Wine has a huge collection of old soul 45s

And

Muriel's Treasure with Irwin “An hour of vintage calypso, soca, mento, pan, and related Caribbean genres - and NO reggae (or Belafonte). Sexy and saucy, ribald and raunchy recordings from the 1920s to the 1980s, and occasionally later”

Their podcasts are here: https://wfmu.org/podcast

The real treasure vault is the archives, they aren’t legally able to distribute a lot of their stuff as podcasts: https://wfmu.org/playlists

I recommend Monica Lynch’s show. She has a cool history in the early world of hip hop but her show is maybe more disco jazzy? That’s not a good description but whateverrrr https://wfmu.org/playlists/ML2021

The Cherry Blossom clinic has a lot of rock music of different kinds https://wfmu.org/playlists/TT

Also Clay Pigeon’s morning show Wake and Bake is fun

Sorry I just have to plug WFMU whenever possible, you never know when you’ll win over a new devotee

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Thanks for the fast replies 100yrs and snowy. Those were exactly the kind of things I was looking for. I knew I had heard of WFMU, maybe from something to do with Yo La Tengo, but I had forgotten about it. The back catalog is extensive and should keep me occupied for a while.

I've been listening to FIP for about 30 minutes and been digging it too, maybe i'll pick up some French too. Curious what the FIP stands for if you know.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 12, 2023

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

gurragadon posted:

Thanks for the fast replies 100yrs and snowy. Those were exactly the kind of things I was looking for. I knew I had heard of WFMU, maybe from something to do with Yo La Tengo, but I had forgotten about it. The back catalog is extensive and should keep me occupied for a while.

I've been listening to FIP for about 30 minutes and been digging it too, maybe i'll pick up some French too. Curious what the FIP stands for if you know.

France Inter Paris. If I understood the wikipedia it was broadcast on the frequency used by France Inter (the main public radio station) in Paris itself, hence the name. In Paris at its creation it would have a different frequency I guess.

I'm incredibly unfamiliar with it but radio is a big deal in France to this day so it's like a whole thing it would seem.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
Ok, kind of a weird one, so bear with me.

I was reading a thread about something completely different that somehow wound its way onto the topic of Nigerian parenting. People started discussing how families who have emigrated from Nigeria will often send their children back to Nigeria as "discipline." Kind of like the equivalent of military school in the US I guess. And they talked about how this generally doesn't have the intended effect and basically just ends up loving up the kids, who get relentlessly bullied while they're over there. And I thought this was absolutely fascinating. I thought, "I would listen to a whole podcast episode that discussed this, and told some of these kids' stories, etc."

I soon realized that, as an ignorant American, there must be tons and tons of bizarre and interesting social practices like this in countries all around the world that I would find equally fascinating. (Here's another random example: how do western people - rich or otherwise - deal with the culture clash when they move to Saudi Arabia?) Does anyone know of any podcasts where this is anything close to the main topic? Just kind of talking about weird (from a Western/American perspective) and interesting modern cultural practices in various countries (presumably with some form of accompanying journalism where we hear from people who engage in these practices)?

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Can anyone recommend a place to sell A/V equipment for podcasting? Our office is moving and we have a media studio and don't want to move everything so looking to sell.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Izzhov posted:

Ok, kind of a weird one, so bear with me.

I was reading a thread about something completely different that somehow wound its way onto the topic of Nigerian parenting. People started discussing how families who have emigrated from Nigeria will often send their children back to Nigeria as "discipline." Kind of like the equivalent of military school in the US I guess. And they talked about how this generally doesn't have the intended effect and basically just ends up loving up the kids, who get relentlessly bullied while they're over there. And I thought this was absolutely fascinating. I thought, "I would listen to a whole podcast episode that discussed this, and told some of these kids' stories, etc."

I soon realized that, as an ignorant American, there must be tons and tons of bizarre and interesting social practices like this in countries all around the world that I would find equally fascinating. (Here's another random example: how do western people - rich or otherwise - deal with the culture clash when they move to Saudi Arabia?) Does anyone know of any podcasts where this is anything close to the main topic? Just kind of talking about weird (from a Western/American perspective) and interesting modern cultural practices in various countries (presumably with some form of accompanying journalism where we hear from people who engage in these practices)?

Also requesting this, but also requesting the thread you read that about the Nigerian parents. They must be loaded. Plane trips to Nigeria are expensive.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Also requesting this, but also requesting the thread you read that about the Nigerian parents. They must be loaded. Plane trips to Nigeria are expensive.

Sure, here you go https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/1512x88/ojbsport_family_member_about_dele_allis_claims/

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Thank you!

EatenRamen101
Feb 8, 2023
I need some good recs for topics involving AI, consciousness (both sciences and spirituality), and conspiracy theories? The funnier and more lighthearted, the better

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

EatenRamen101 posted:

I need some good recs for topics involving AI, consciousness (both sciences and spirituality), and conspiracy theories? The funnier and more lighthearted, the better

The What If? Podcast covers all of these topics in a lighthearted way without being dismissive.

Last Podcast on the Left is a divisive recommendation but covers a lot of conspiracy theories with humor, not so much the other two topics though.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Desperate Acts of Capitalism is coming back after a multi-year break so if you enjoyed them back in 2020 there will be a new episode next Friday.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I have not listened to the whole catalogue, basically only what's come out in the last 12 months or so, and the first few episodes, but I enjoy Knifepoint Horror. I'm not sure if it's scary per se (although traditional ghost stories are not usually scary to me. Magnus Archives is the only podcast that ever actually legitimately frightened me), but I think the stories are really good and clever.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

So my mom has listened to me talk about some of the podcasts one listened to in the past, and i think is running out of library audiobooks that she wants to listen to. Does anyone have any good recommendations for mystery fiction or true crime?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Criminal, the old stuff. I can't vouch for Phoebe Judge's output under Vox, but that show used to be a really good true crime podcast. Haven't been a listener for a couple years though so I figured I'd disclaim.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

taiyoko posted:

So my mom has listened to me talk about some of the podcasts one listened to in the past, and i think is running out of library audiobooks that she wants to listen to. Does anyone have any good recommendations for mystery fiction or true crime?

I don’t have a podcast rec but I listen to a lot of library audiobooks and I loved the Vish Puri mysteries by Tarquin Hall. It’s only 4 books so she can speed through it before she goes onto podcasts :)

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

taiyoko posted:

Do you know if she is looking for podcasts that would cover a whole case in an episode or two or more in depth ones where a single case is multiple episodes or even the whole podcast?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

taiyoko posted:

Blowback is the best true crime podcast of all time.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

taiyoko posted:

I’m very picky about true crime in terms of only listening to ones that are ethically done and non-exploitative. Most of them are centered on justice rather than getting entertainment out of what happened to the victim (though are still riveting listens.) With that in mind, I highly recommend In the Dark, Blind Plea, Believe Her, Bone Valley, and The Fall Line.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Mystery Team Inc is great, although it's less true crime and more past mystery these days.

I listen to a show called "Small Town Murder" that I like all right although if I'm honest the part I like most is where they give stats on the town and read google reviews of it.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Rick posted:

Mystery Team Inc is great, although it's less true crime and more past mystery these days.

I listen to a show called "Small Town Murder" that I like all right although if I'm honest the part I like most is where they give stats on the town and read google reviews of it.

Small Town Murder owns but the mom may not like the parts where they ramble about comedy poo poo in the middle.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Haven't seen Casefile mentioned yet, and it's usually a good recommendation for straightforward true crime (unless I missed them doing something bad in the last year or so).

I think their earliest episodes were a little bad about going full Radiolab with sound effects, but anything in the last few years are solid. Respectful with a focus on the victims and they're good about research. They're mostly 1 and dones though. They cover both solved and unsolved cases.

Quadramind
Dec 8, 2011

One of the best true crime pieces I've listened to is The Irish History Podcast's coverage of The Maamtrasna Murders.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

ghost stories for the end of the world

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

WEH posted:

ghost stories for the end of the world

I listened to the these for a while until I listened to the first episodes. Where they peddled conspiracy theories (literally satanist sex scandal stuff).
If it's just ghost stories, it doesn't matter, but with that kinda content you have some responsibilities, otherwise you become some sort of qanon.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

mrfart posted:

I listened to the these for a while until I listened to the first episodes. Where they peddled conspiracy theories (literally satanist sex scandal stuff).
If it's just ghost stories, it doesn't matter, but with that kinda content you have some responsibilities, otherwise you become some sort of qanon.

I mean, the Dutroux poo poo is up there with the Franklin Savings & Loan and Epstein situation, where it's pretty clear that there was a pedophile sex ring of people in positions of authority in society that got hushed up. That's not Qanon, that's just very clearly what happened.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Gripweed posted:

I mean, the Dutroux poo poo is up there with the Franklin Savings & Loan and Epstein situation, where it's pretty clear that there was a pedophile sex ring of people in positions of authority in society that got hushed up. That's not Qanon, that's just very clearly what happened.

Yeah I dunno how you can hear those episodes and think of qanon unless the idea that any claims that people in positions of power are pedophiles are automatically qanon conspiracy garbage to you.

And if you think that I will just gesture broadly at Jeffrey Epstein and his literal billionaire pedophile island or at Jimmy Saville. The Dutroux Affair might not be as famous but that poo poo happened and is pretty well documented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I seem to remember insinuations that the state press was send in to destroy a witness by a political cabal. Even though it became very clear that this witness was not reliable and over time went on to make some very wild satanist child sacrifice claims. It was a sensitive issue, because she did have a past of abuse. But to insinuate that THE STATE MEDIA will just do whatever the people in power on the other end of the line tell them no questions asked was a bit much. I vaguely remember some other stuff from that episode but it’s been too long ago. Anyway I won’t bring it up anymore.