Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ilkhan posted:

Roomier, faster, longer range.... Its the 5 series vs 3 series discussion. The short version is "people do crazy stuff for minor improvements"

True, but I think a lot of EV decisions are driven by practicality and technical feasibility. In line yesterday for the 3, the conversations around me were about quantum physics, chess, artificial intelligence, and of course Trump. To the extent that owning *an* electric car is the status symbol goal, it seems that the 3 will greatly undermine the S without there being large improvements in the S to justify these tech-oriented buyers upgrading to it. And I think Elon nodded to that yesterday when he thanked the S buyers for making this car possible. Because the audience was looking at a similar car to the one they have, spec-wise, for half the cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

The Locator posted:

This really is about wanting the car and wanting to go electric, not about saving money.

Yep, I work from home and drive so little I buy gas maybe once a month, if that. I think what Tesla is doing is awesome and want to throw my money behind an electric vehicle future. :shrug:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm hoping that Tesla manages to drive the cost of batteries down enough that I can get a Zero SR for about 6-8k. Then I'll park my electric motorcycle in the front of the EV charging stations downtown and troll Tesla owners desperately looking for a place to charge

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

io_burn posted:

Yep, I work from home and drive so little I buy gas maybe once a month, if that. I think what Tesla is doing is awesome and want to throw my money behind an electric vehicle future. :shrug:

This is perfectly fine too. I'd love to own a Tesla, I just can't justify it financially, and right now, that's just a deal breaker for me.

I hope they sell a bazilliion of the things and really change the world.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Sagebrush posted:

I'm hoping that Tesla manages to drive the cost of batteries down enough that I can get a Zero SR for about 6-8k. Then I'll park my electric motorcycle in the front of the EV charging stations downtown and troll Tesla owners desperately looking for a place to charge

Does anyone do all of their charging at work or publicly? I wonder if it's feasible with lower charging rate stations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My work is big on green stuff but we only lease this building because the ground is built on a former quarry and the owners have dropped hundreds of thousands to fix issues related to shifting ground. I've been told no to charging ports getting installed by the owners. :(

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Animal posted:

I wonder what # was my reservation at 9am today... if I find out its not within the 200k, I'll cancel.
It's the first 200k sold in the US, plus the rest of the cars sold in that quarter. And the next 2 quarters get half of it still.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

io_burn posted:

Same here. I could easily afford a Model 3 (and I want the autopilot so so bad), but I can't justify that sort of expense when I have a perfectly good Prius with less than 70,000 miles. Plus I actually need a bit more cargo space than the Model 3 seems to offer - hopefully, it won't be too long before they announce the crossover version (not to mention the nearly-to-fully autonomous version).

Ripoff posted:

Edit: Supercharging being standard on the 3 is a really good idea. Early adopters on the S and Roadsters are more likely to be conscious about the range limitations and needs of an electric vehicle. People like ~my girlfriend~ (who adores the concept of the Model 3 and autopilot) that routinely forget to charge their phones will see the limitations of the electric car slam in their face when they're sitting on the side of the road without a charge, staring down the prospect of a tow and 3 hour recharge session. These folks will most likely bad-mouth electric vehicles as inconvenient at that point because they made a mistake, and now fixing it is causing them to have to change their entire day.

However, let them tap into a supercharger and put enough miles to get home in about 15 minutes and it'll turn into more of an embarrassment of "yeah, I forgot to charge it, so I had to go get a coffee." Give someone a battery backup USB charger thing and it becomes less about "This phone sucks" and more "Yeah I forgot". It's a brilliant idea.

I was under the impression that that had at least as much to do with the prospect of driving outside the car's range - for most people, stopping for 3 hours every couple hundred miles isn't all that practical. Remember than Elon Musk's endgame is making internal combustion engines obsolete.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Arkane posted:

If average options are 7k, the 35k base model must be absolute poo poo in comparison.

It's not unreasonable. I'd have had to pay about $2500 to get power windows in my Jeep, for example. It's all in how the options are packaged since the days of ordering specific individual options are long gone.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

io_burn posted:

I can't find it now as I really can't figure out what to search for to find it, but the best Reddit Model S post I ever saw was a dude living in some supremely lovely apartment working an hourly wage job who bought a Model S to save money on gas which he charged by keeping his front door cracked open and running a long-assed extension cord down to the parking lot. He had all these photos of the insane run the extension cord did, which included going down some stairs.

Oh dear god, please find the source on this? He was running on just a cord in a regular outlet in the apartment? Not even 240V? WTF

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mariana Horchata posted:

I must find that this weekend, and when I do (unless someone beats me to it) I will post it up.

Is this it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MReOsBAHzOY

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

No wait, I think I found it

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Oh my god is he charging from a GFCI outlet at the beginning? :psyduck:

e: actually this video isn't that bad, his car is charged right outside his apartment and it's not unreasonable at all. Plus he's an electrical engineer so he probably knows a little bit about what he's doing and can probably actually afford his S. I actually wish it existed when I was trying to figure out how to plug my Leaf into a dryer outlet before I got a dedicated charger installed.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 1, 2016

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Cockmaster posted:

Same here. I could easily afford a Model 3 (and I want the autopilot so so bad), but I can't justify that sort of expense when I have a perfectly good Prius with less than 70,000 miles. Plus I actually need a bit more cargo space than the Model 3 seems to offer - hopefully, it won't be too long before they announce the crossover version (not to mention the nearly-to-fully autonomous version).

lol, I'm way worse, my 2011 Prius has less than 30,000 miles on it.

FCKGW posted:

No wait, I think I found it

We have a winner. The only way this would be better is if it were plugged into the power strip instead of the outlet.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

borkencode posted:

I've been trying to figure out which options have been confirmed, so far I have:

1. Larger battery (and probably a performance version on top of this)
2. Dual motors
3. The glass roof
4. Autopilot
5. Air suspension

Seems pretty similar to the options available for the S, so I'm expecting it to be the same list, minus the rear facing seats.

I assume, like the Model S, there will be an option for a marginally less garbage interior (that is still pretty bad compared to cars even half the price).

Mariana Horchata posted:

I can't figure out whether i like the Model 3's styling or not seeing that it will essentially be there 3-series...

I'm leaning towards liking it a lot, especially the front end and the fenders

but the side profile instantly reminded me of Gogo Dodo from Tiny Toon Adventures (but if it actually does make for excellent visibility on the inside then that's great and better than Camaro windows)

The side profile looks like every other cheap compact hatch/sedan.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 1, 2016

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Mange Mite posted:

I assume, like the Model S, there will be an option for a marginally less garbage interior (that is still pretty bad compared to cars even half the price).

The side profile looks like every other cheap compact hatch/sedan.

If you're being really reductive sure, cars look like cars. I mean the Leaf is one of the most distinct and "weird" looking mainstream cars with its bubble butt, and yet...

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

What the hell is the "dual charger" option on the Model S? Like if you use two plugs you can charge faster?

I'm trying to figure it out but the information on it is confusing.

e: Also I somehow missed when I filed my taxes that I could get a tax credit for installing my home charging station :doh: Going to send in an amendment for that. In case anyone missed it too, see: http://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/10513

I was able to use my tax software to make and print out an amended return pretty quickly.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 1, 2016

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Boten Anna posted:

What the hell is the "dual charger" option on the Model S? Like if you use two plugs you can charge faster?

e: Also I somehow missed when I filed my taxes that I could get a tax credit for installing my home charging station :doh: Going to send in an amendment for that. In case anyone missed it too, see: http://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/10513

I was able to use my tax software to make and print out an amended return pretty quickly.

It still uses one plug. The dual charger refers to the onboard charging unit. Here is a picture of one.

It charges twice as fast (if supplied with an appropriate power source) as a car with only one charger.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Boten Anna posted:

The charger is the part that actually converts the wall current into battery power. Single charger has a much slower max charging rate. So you are limited to 240v/40A iirc, dual charger can handle 240v/80A. Supercharging isn't changed, since it is using an external charger setup and just sending raw DC. 240v/40A is the most common source (basically a dryer outlet).

240v/80A is about 60 miles of range per hour, 240v/40A is half that.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 2, 2016

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

So it wouldn't be like, plugging in two public chargers to charge quicker or anything?

I wonder what my home charger can do, it's a dedicated car charger that I believe is on its own breaker but I have little idea what amperage its capable of. I doubt my Leaf draws more than 40A anyway.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kimbo305 posted:

Does anyone do all of their charging at work or publicly? I wonder if it's feasible with lower charging rate stations.

I bought my Model S last May, and still don't have a charger at home. Work, some supercharging, occasional destination charging.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Anyone else that preordered this not get their confirmation email yet? Elon's taken my money according to my CC website, but I haven't got an email yet. :argh:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
How likely is it that while Tesla will build in the supercharging hardware into every car for free, they'll charge for the actual charging at the supercharger stations? If they're targeting the mass market, it seems like they'd have to do something like that to recoup the costs, since they wouldn't be able to rely on the greater profit margins that you get from luxury sales to subsidize the cost of that network.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Optimus Subprime posted:

Anyone else that preordered this not get their confirmation email yet? Elon's taken my money according to my CC website, but I haven't got an email yet. :argh:

Mine took over 24 hours to arrive.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Optimus Subprime posted:

I got mine, but according to my bank email I reserved 5 minutes sharp after opening, so if they're still processing it might just not have gotten there yet. It took something like 30 hours for my email to arrive.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cicero posted:

How likely is it that while Tesla will build in the supercharging hardware into every car for free, they'll charge for the actual charging at the supercharger stations? If they're targeting the mass market, it seems like they'd have to do something like that to recoup the costs, since they wouldn't be able to rely on the greater profit margins that you get from luxury sales to subsidize the cost of that network.

They'd have to somehow distinguish between different car types, because Model S has lifetime free supercharging. Is the network expensive to operate? I don't know how the economics work.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Boten Anna posted:

So it wouldn't be like, plugging in two public chargers to charge quicker or anything?

I wonder what my home charger can do, it's a dedicated car charger that I believe is on its own breaker but I have little idea what amperage its capable of. I doubt my Leaf draws more than 40A anyway.
Nope. Just the ability to accept higher power inputs.

Optimus Subprime posted:

Ordered yesterday morning, shows up on mytesla this morning, got my email a couple hours ago.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Shadowgate posted:

Mine took over 24 hours to arrive.

All the tubes are getting clogged with emails. :(

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I'm still wondering where the hell the air vents are going to be.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

They'd have to somehow distinguish between different car types, because Model S has lifetime free supercharging.

100% guaranteed that this information is already communicated between the car and the supercharger station. It's probably more specific than just the model, too: it would be a no-brainer use the VIN as part of the handshake, and that is enough to let them identify the specific car right down to the paint.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 2, 2016

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
It definitely identifies your car, as people have reported getting friendly "Hey Superchargers aren't meant to be your primary charging solution" emails in the past.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
"Lifetime free supercharging"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

io_burn posted:

It definitely identifies your car, as people have reported getting friendly "Hey Superchargers aren't meant to be your primary charging solution" emails in the past.

Yeah, that's true, though I specifically asked my rep what the limits were on supercharging because I didn't have a charger at home, and was told that it was fine for it to be a primary charging solution.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Subjunctive posted:

I bought my Model S last May, and still don't have a charger at home. Work, some supercharging, occasional destination charging.

Did you get the threatening letter yet saying that if you abuse superchargers they can cut you off and to buy a home charger

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Boten Anna posted:

I'm still wondering where the hell the air vents are going to be.

Ac is a $2000 option. Otherwise, it's called a window

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mange Mite posted:

Did you get the threatening letter yet saying that if you abuse superchargers they can cut you off and to buy a home charger

No, but I only use them once a week or so; most of it is at work. I asked my rep when I bought about supercharger limits and was told to use them as often as wanted; I have that email on file, as you might imagine.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
My order confirmation arrived yesterday. I figure I have a 50/50 chance of either getting a new Rotary powered Mazda or the Model 3. Both require 1-3 years of waiting. Haha.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

ilkhan posted:

It's the first 200k sold in the US, plus the rest of the cars sold in that quarter. And the next 2 quarters get half of it still.

And if you aren't in the tax bracket that pays at least $7500 Fed you won't reap the full benefit of the tax rebate.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 2, 2016

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Subjunctive posted:

No, but I only use them once a week or so; most of it is at work. I asked my rep when I bought about supercharger limits and was told to use them as often as wanted; I have that email on file, as you might imagine.

I have a feeling the people getting these letters/emails are likely straight up abusing the supercharger network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If Tesla tells you "unlimited free supercharging", then what exactly counts as abuse? Charging the car up from a supercharger, then going home and running the wheels on a generator to power your house or something?

• Locked thread