Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Here's some more pics from yesterday, the fishing wasn't great but perfect weather, a stroll along a sandbar in the middle of the bay and a pod of dolphins that played around the kayaks for half an hour made up for it. I'm the one in orange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

The guy in the grey Hobie put a video up too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aOSbRfr318

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

prom candy posted:

Went out and trolled with a Williams but got skunked. A couple guys were fishing the same area but with live bait and caught a few. Good to know there's at least fish to be had. Don't have any live bait but we'll try again tomorrow. Feel like I should wacky rig a senko based on how the thread's been going this season.

Caught one today! It shook the hook right at the boat but whatever, good enough for me. Caught it trolling a bright green crankbait which was against my understanding of what these fish are interested in, but I figured I should switch up the tactics.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

prom candy posted:

We're back at the lake again this weekend. The water is 70 now which makes me think the lake trout are probably close to the bottom. We don't have much in the way of vertical jigging gear so I'm not sure it's worth fishing at all. Bass opens in 3 weeks though.

Is it worth trolling for lake trout once the water warms up? Or trying to vertical jig with just a regular rod and reel set?

I’m not an expert, but I’ve watched a lot of videos of guys catching lake trout.

Buy some heavy jig heads(probably like 3/4-1.5oz) and some largish white plastics/tune baits. Then just vertical jig. Should be pretty inexpensive to try, just use whatever heavyish rod you have.

Can’t help you too much on places to try, if you have a depth finder then find some drop offs(fish deep side) or stop if you mark any baitfish/baitballs in deep water.

You won’t cover ground like you would trolling, but that’s probably your best bet.

Those trout are normally deep, but not necessarily on the bottom. They’ll probably be chasing bait at many different depths over deep water.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Bass will be open next time I'm up there and I'm going to spend the rest of the summer chasing them but I'll try the vertical jig approach next spring. Pretty sure my FIL has a depth finder or fish finder kicking around.

Bought my first rod and reel yesterday, looking forward to finding some spots closer to home.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

It always cracks me up when a tiny fish tries to take a lure that is nearly as large as it. Also, is bream a local name for bluegill where you are or am I completely misidentifying your fish?

i believe almost everyone in the UK calls most sunfish 'bream', pronounced brim i think, and oddly enough some southern dudes in the states ive met say it as well

not sure if they even have most of our 'sunfish' but they've got at least 3 species as natives or invasives

gay picnic defence posted:

Here's some more pics from yesterday, the fishing wasn't great but perfect weather, a stroll along a sandbar in the middle of the bay and a pod of dolphins that played around the kayaks for half an hour made up for it.

did you get to pet one? this owns.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

extra stout posted:

did you get to pet one? this owns.

Please do not pet or attempt to touch wild dolphins.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

prom candy posted:

Bass will be open next time I'm up there and I'm going to spend the rest of the summer chasing them but I'll try the vertical jig approach next spring. Pretty sure my FIL has a depth finder or fish finder kicking around.

Bought my first rod and reel yesterday, looking forward to finding some spots closer to home.

You can vertical lake trout all summer with a fishfinder and a 1/2oz paddletail or tube ideally on a calm morning where you can stay right over your bait and chase it away from the trout. You need the fishfinder so you can see them come to the lure, they hardly ever hit it just jigging, you need to reel away from them so they chase.

This guy describes it pretty well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjqOEJHbaV4&t=3m50s

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

Please do not pet or attempt to touch wild dolphins.

Dolphins are nice but also are huge powerful animals who will kick your loving rear end if they feel like it.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 8, 2018

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Dolphins are nice but also are huge powerful animals who will kick your loving rear end if they feel like it.

And the males will gently caress your kicking rear end if they feel like it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

beefnoodle posted:

Then someone will film it, put it on youtube, get a million veiws, then fish and wildlife will track you down and slap your rear end with a fine and lifetime fishing ban, you sicko.

All because you wanted to pet a dolphin.

MARINE MAMMAL FACTS!

Stay 150ft away (300ft from whale species) and do not surround, herd, or otherwise attempt to disturb the animal(s) (if they enter your space on their own, use caution to avoid disturbing them)

Do not feed or interfere with the natural feeding activities of the animal (providing food, manipulating prey or kills, ect)

Do not touch marine mammals.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 8, 2018

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Postess with the Mostest posted:

You can vertical lake trout all summer with a fishfinder and a 1/2oz paddletail or tube ideally on a calm morning where you can stay right over your bait and chase it away from the trout. You need the fishfinder so you can see them come to the lure, they hardly ever hit it just jigging, you need to reel away from them so they chase.

This guy describes it pretty well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjqOEJHbaV4&t=3m50s

Looks pretty fun! No idea what the state of the fish finder at the lake is but probably worth checking out. Thanks

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I mean this in the sincerest way possible, but can you actually catch a dolphin? I don’t mean in a net or anything, and I have no intentions of attempting. I have just never heard of one being brought in on some ones line.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

hagie posted:

I mean this in the sincerest way possible, but can you actually catch a dolphin? I don’t mean in a net or anything, and I have no intentions of attempting. I have just never heard of one being brought in on some ones line.

They’re so big and fast they’d need to get tangled in someone’s big game gear to be bought in, otherwise they’d just break the line.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

hagie posted:

First time I visited one of the Fort DeSoto piers in Florida, there was a plague of dolphins. People would catch fish and on the retrieve dolphins would eat them. Rod bends, line snaps in each case. So I guess you could given the right equipment

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

beefnoodle posted:

Only line I remember from glee was “I thought dolphins were just gay sharks”.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Whomever posted about Rapala for freshwater fishing, thank you. I didn't get the CD, I got the J-06 yellow perch and it got hit by sunfish/panfish/kibbers/whatever the hell they call them here.

It seriously was getting hit twice a cast. Definitively proves that I'm not missing bass hooksets but getting nibbled to death by panfish.

Can't wait to see what this does on Bass though :)

No joke, never seen anything get hit like this before. It was windy and sunny too.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

hagie posted:

They’re toothy and strong as hell, so easily, no, and sure as hell not by accident. That said, they’re not magical, and you shove a big enough hook in something’s mouth and pull long and hard enough and you can catch drat near anything.

Super don’t do it though.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Whomever posted about Rapala for freshwater fishing, thank you. I didn't get the CD, I got the J-06 yellow perch and it got hit by sunfish/panfish/kibbers/whatever the hell they call them here.

It seriously was getting hit twice a cast. Definitively proves that I'm not missing bass hooksets but getting nibbled to death by panfish.

Can't wait to see what this does on Bass though :)

No joke, never seen anything get hit like this before. It was windy and sunny too.

Whenever I’m not getting much response from my fly rod, and I’m angry, I’ll throw in a small CD rapala and get instant results.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Okay is the awful app broken? Because I cannot get it to take this image:

http://imgur.com/aaRc3T6

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jun 10, 2018

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Enigma posted:

They’re toothy and strong as hell, so easily, no, and sure as hell not by accident. That said, they’re not magical, and you shove a big enough hook in something’s mouth and pull long and hard enough and you can catch drat near anything.

Super don’t do it though.

I didn’t think so. I was mainly asking because you never hear about it.

Plus it super weirds me out on an animal as intelligent as them

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Personally I felt like tuna tasted better with dolphin in it but everyone loves their little half bright rape fish so whatever

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
I'm going to be working out of Spokane for about the entire month of September. Any advice for fishing up there during that time period? It appears there are steelhead/salmon runs in the fall from some quick reading I did, lots of lake fishing too.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Anyone tie a squirmy wormy yet? I'm thinking of making a few to try compared to my usual san juan worms, but I don't want to spend fly shop money on something that is ultimately an experiment. I'd rather purchase the base material online at way cheaper pricing than what the fly shop would charge.

Anyone have recommendations for cheap material to tie the thing?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

dms666 posted:

I'm going to be working out of Spokane for about the entire month of September. Any advice for fishing up there during that time period? It appears there are steelhead/salmon runs in the fall from some quick reading I did, lots of lake fishing too.

You will be east of the Cascades, so salmon and steelhead will be bad compared to the wet side of the mountains. Eastern Washington has the best walleye and crappie fishing if you like lakes, but if you prefer rivers and trout you will have a lot of options, too. The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife has a wealth of good info!

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Looking for a decent fly-fishing setup for my soon-to-be retiring father. I'm familiar with spinning/baitcasting gear but I don't even know what to look for in a fly rod/reel. Can anyone help out with either specific suggestions or general guidelines?

This would primarily be used for Pacific NW trout.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Recently went out on a friend's boat with him and his dad in the Long Island Sound, did some saltwater fishing for the first time in forever. Had a drat blast. We were all getting a good number of bites, but for some reason I was lucky as hell and it seemed like I couldn't even take a rest from reeling in something. Even if it was just a sea robin it was fun as hell. Ended up keeping 2 fluke, a porgy, and a bluefish.

It was a good fuckin' day

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

Recently went out on a friend's boat with him and his dad in the Long Island Sound, did some saltwater fishing for the first time in forever. Had a drat blast. We were all getting a good number of bites, but for some reason I was lucky as hell and it seemed like I couldn't even take a rest from reeling in something. Even if it was just a sea robin it was fun as hell. Ended up keeping 2 fluke, a porgy, and a bluefish.

It was a good fuckin' day

Dude you have stripers out there, too. And if you haven't tried surf fishing before, know that it is an option!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Dude you have stripers out there, too. And if you haven't tried surf fishing before, know that it is an option!

My friend and his dad were set up for fluke that day. I'm still pretty new to fishing, so I'll just follow the lead of whoever I'm going with. I'm down to try anything given the opportunity, so surf fishing? Sure!

My sister's boyfriend loves fishing and just got a boat, so my pool of "other peoples boats" has doubled. :getin:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Can I catch Striper or only Bluefish on a 6.5 foot medium heavy spinning rod with 25 lb braid?

I'm planning an impromptu Massachusetts fishing trip to the ocean

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Can I catch Striper or only Bluefish on a 6.5 foot medium heavy spinning rod with 25 lb braid?

I'm planning an impromptu Massachusetts fishing trip to the ocean

I think that would probably be fine for a boat but is probably too short for long casts from the beach. You'll probably want a reel that holds a substantial amount of line (250 yards or more) either way.

Please be aware that I have never caught a striped bass, only researched and lusted after the opportunity. They don't live where I live. :(

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I think that would probably be fine for a boat but is probably too short for long casts from the beach. You'll probably want a reel that holds a substantial amount of line (250 yards or more) either way.

Please be aware that I have never caught a striped bass, only researched and lusted after the opportunity. They don't live where I live. :(

In CA stripers and halibut are taken at the same time just mooching off the surfline and holes.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Jim Russell is a mutual friend of a scientist friend of mine. He's an absolute beast of a freediver who since he uses no aqualung can spear fish year round. He managed to give him self mercury poisining from eating fish not known to have measurable amounts. His videos of him exploring cracks gave me some real insight in the topography of the bottom I frequently fish and the reason why i use to lose so much goddamn gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN481Kd2Dbk

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Heading to the upper Potomac this weekend to wade for smallmouth. I've got a few approaches. First, I'm going to use some flies: Crayfish and maybe some subsurface stuff. I

For spinning, I've got a few packs of Z man worms (ned rig). I'm going with some folks that haven't fished before, so it'd be nice to get something, so I'm looking for recommendations.

Best bet is basically Senkos, wacky rig, right? I've been trying to keep up with this and the 'post a fish' thread, but I could use a refresher on what works on smallmouth. I'll order up some lures soon and have them delivered if so. I've got a few rapalas too.

Thanks yall. I'm really looking forward to this as I have some brand new waders and boots that I've not used yet!

Planet X fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 16, 2018

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Planet X posted:

Heading to the upper Potomac this weekend to wade for smallmouth. I've got a few approaches. First, I'm going to use some flies: Crayfish and maybe some subsurface stuff. I

For spinning, I've got a few packs of Z man worms (ned rig). I'm going with some folks that haven't fished before, so it'd be nice to get something, so I'm looking for recommendations.

Best bet is basically Senkos, wacky rig, right? I've been trying to keep up with this and the 'post a fish' thread, but I could use a refresher on what works on smallmouth. I'll order up some lures soon and have them delivered if so. I've got a few rapalas too.

Thanks yall. I'm really looking forward to this as I have some brand new waders and boots that I've not used yet!

Somewhere, bongwizzard's bass sense is tingling.

Wacky rigged Senkos have been very productive for folks in this thread. Ned Rigs are also great for beginners; last year I caught bass with every cast on a Ned Rig having never caught bass before and having no idea what I was doing. The combination of mushroom jig and short Senko is a magical thing.

Also the Post a Fish thread in Take a Hike is a very good thread. Why are there two fishing threads in different forums? It doesn't matter, :justpost: about fishing!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Senkos, rigged either Texas or wacky (haven’t particularly noticed a huge difference in reliability, one works some days, the other other days), pretty much always land me sm/lm bass where I live (southern Ontario). They just work imo

e: also gotta say as a constant maker and user of them: where you’re targeting aggressive fish like bass on a river, take spinners! I never leave my spinners at home when I hit the grand river, whether I’m targeting bass or something else. For river fishing, spinners trip an aggressive fishes kill instinct like nothing else in my experience

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 17, 2018

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Suspect Bucket posted:

Then someone will film it, put it on youtube, get a million veiws, then fish and wildlife will track you down and slap your rear end with a fine and lifetime fishing ban, you sicko.

All because you wanted to pet a dolphin.

MARINE MAMMAL FACTS!

Stay 150ft away (300ft from whale species) and do not surround, herd, or otherwise attempt to disturb the animal(s) (if they enter your space on their own, use caution to avoid disturbing them)

Do not feed or interfere with the natural feeding activities of the animal (providing food, manipulating prey or kills, ect)

Do not touch marine mammals.

For the record I am against feeding wild animals, I was just saying it's cool that weird hot middle aged ladies pet them until they mutually and legally agree to have sex

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Thanks all.

I have some spinners, mainly mepps black furys. What are you using?

I know that worm colors depend on water conditions. I've used green colored worms before but if you have colors that have worked, I'd love to know hear.

Probably gonna get some tubes for the crappie while I've got the credit card out.

Also my buddy has a cheap mohawk 15 canoe he may sell me for cheap, which will, eventually, get me off the bank.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Went fishing for the first time in forever yesterday at a small 100 acre lake in Virginia. No boat so just fishing from the banks. Caught two 12-14" lm bass and lost 1 on a black/blue shaky head jig with a green craw on it.

:quiet: 2 bass same day from the bank is a personal best lol, i'm a bad.

It's getting hotter here, any recommendations on bank fishing for bass in mid-late summer besides "go at sunrise and leave"

Also, thoughts on the Sea Eagle STS10? Thinking about an inflatable boat so I can get off the bank, but don't want to deal with jon + trailer + hitch as I have no storage to speak of.

First Time Caller fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Went fishing at the grand river in Cayuga, ON today. Mostly fished senkos, Texas and wacky. Totally skunked. Got to break in the new rod and reel finally though and it was a super nice day.