Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Excuse me I've seen some culinary school graduates make very nice sugar cages and quenelles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I hated that loving football.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Wroughtirony posted:

They make a machine for it now. But it costs a small fortune.

The Tournee slicer - because your carrots must be loving fabulous.
http://www.eurodib.com/products/567?currency=USD

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 14, 2015

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Wroughtirony posted:

We only made them to flick around at each other

At least I went to a state school for culinary, it cost me less than $1000 for 6 semesters, we had a year of pastries and bread, two years of cooking, plus some management, inventory & costing, wine & other beverages on the side. I was able to work full time during that.

I also smoked plenty of weed and drank plenty of beer with other young people, but at least we cooked every day and got to use ingredients we may not have had easy access to otherwise. We basically got fed every day off of what we put out. I also hooked up with some other like-minded people to do our own little pop ups for dinner here and there and may be going into business with one or two in the near future. I'm pretty confident in my own ability to cook a med. burger or not char a steak to 170F, but I guess I couldn't say that about everyone who went there.

May not have been the best use of my time, but at least I'm not in debt for it.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

We did about 2000 people in the past two days. We loving crushed, this is the only restaurant I have ever worked at and I can honestly say I have never worked with people this on their poo poo, including my half a decade in the navy. I pooled about 100$ from all the wait staff to buy the kitchen beer mid shift and as soon as my last table paid out I ran to go get it for them.

Some times I actually love this job oh my god help me.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Willie Tomg posted:

hey so what the gently caress do they teach you in culinary school? This is a serious question. I have exactly zero minutes of formal culinary education and the more I cook the more I realize nobody in my family can cook except maybe my maternal grandma so I didn't learn poo poo from poo poo at home, but the things I see from culinary grads who have years of work experience on top of that is breathtaking. One guy on the line last night took a midrare steak off to rest... onto another part of the grill. Then walks away, comes back with a thermometer and temps it... 162... 165... 168.... "Ooooh yeah... beauty beauty beauty... :2bong:" Served. It was either watch it go out, or wrestle the guy and then tell the servers the steak would be 30 minutes total in coming.

Tonight we got a burger order, medium, and cut in half because customers are swine. Or paranoid about done-ness, whatever. This other dude crushes it flat and makes a deliciously carmalized smashed slider, but a decidedly lovely burger mid. I had to explain to a grown rear end man how to cook a flattop burger medium, and he'll be graduating LCB in May.

I went to film school, and people give me poo poo over it, but godDAMMIT I learned how to write, plan, frame, light, shoot, cut, promote and deliver some loving films in that time. what do you do for all those years of culinary school if not learn how to cook?!

They probably saw more senior cooks do the same things and thought "Well they can do this and still have a job, guess I can to!"

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Eh, if he's LCB, you should probably be surprised he knows what a flat top is, Willie. :P

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
What is the best way of getting into the restaurant industry (aside from don't at all) with no professional cooking experience and huge gaps in work history? Just work up from dishwasher? I also have an acquaintance who knows a lot of chefs in Pittsburgh, but that would require moving.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I went to LCB myself and I can tell you from experience that culinary school is a load of bullshit. If the money to go hadn't been a gift from my great aunt (before she died and left the rest of her money to benny hinn :laffo:) I would have been seriously pissed, because I sure didn't get $20,000 of usefulness out of it.

If I could go back in time, I would choose to not go. You can learn so much more just working in a kitchen for that same amount of time as you're going to culinary school.

edit: yeah, I mean, I did learn some stuff there, but I learned way more in two months of my first cooking job than I learned in a year of culinary school. gently caress culinary school. What a scam. Would not recommend.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 15, 2015

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Busiest day on record for us yesterday, 880 covers all day. So glad I have today off. I'm exhausted and my hands are so dry my knuckles are cracking. Happy to be a bartender and not BoH or management. Chef and head manager both put in at least 17 hour days

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

kittenmittons posted:

What is the best way of getting into the restaurant industry (aside from don't at all) with no professional cooking experience and huge gaps in work history? Just work up from dishwasher? I also have an acquaintance who knows a lot of chefs in Pittsburgh, but that would require moving.

Find a good kitchen that cooks the kind of food that you're interested in that's hiring a dishwasher and work your way up. It'll take time and it'll be hard work but if this is what you want to do then this is the easiest way to do it.

If you check your local Craigslist frequently, you'll probably start to notice the same few places that are constantly hiring. High employee turnover is a big warning sign that you're looking at a lovely place to work.

When you start interviewing, if you get a chance to look at the kitchen it should be clean and organized. This shows that the cooks know what they're doing and give enough of a gently caress to work clean.

When you get the job, learn to do your job in your sleep as quickly as possible. Dishwasing is possibly the easiest job in the world so don't come into work high or so hungover that you can barely see and take that opportunity to get your dishes clean, garbages emptied and then ask the cooks if there's anything that they need done. During service, watch what the cooks are doing. If it's not busy don't be afraid to ask questions. If it's really quiet they may even let you plate a few salads, but when it's balls to the wall busy just keep out of the way and make sure the line has enough pans.

Most cooks treat a reliable dishwasher who wants to learn and can help with prep like goddamn royalty and when an opening for a prep cook or something comes up after a year or so and you've learned how to set up enough of the mise you'll be just as qualified as a dumbass LCB grad.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the advice.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I got offered a cushy job with benefits at a fancy hotel doing breakfast/brunch/drunk lunches. Then I got offered another, better paying job as a bartender with no benefits and a chance to turn my burgeoning alcoholism into a full time problem. Of COURSE my stupid rear end took both jobs. The hours work around each other nicely! Sleep is for the weak anyway! Who CARES if my pancreas shuts down by 40 and I die a crippled mess by 50? Egg salad for family dinner? Again? Sure!

Kill. Me.

Edit: I had to work a Valentine's "Sweetheart Brunch" at the hotel and suddenly I understand why the benefits are so good.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 17, 2015

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
quit one before you burn out dude

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
I care! Do not sacrifice yourself for an industry that does not give a poo poo about you to the point where you would be expected to show up for work after being hit by a truck! gently caress it, and gently caress you big time for halfheartedly glorifying your masochism! Becoming the horse from Animal Farm is not a viable career choice you stupid moron! gently caress whoever instilled the belief in you as a child that you deserve to suffer! I saw the new guy cry today at my job and I am just so done with this bullshit. He looked like how I always feel unless I'm drunk, and in 129 shifts I'll be loving done, and I'll walk away forever and ever and ever, away from the bullshit head games and dick waving contests about who can build their own cross and crucify themselves upon it first! Today marked the end of my 15-17 consecutive shifts I don't remember how many anymore.

That person with the lobster avatar is definitely a smart cookie in this thread and I thank them for calling out my masochism once or twice because this is no way to live!

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
But I have money now. At 32 I'm working in the bottom tier of an industry that loathes my efforts. I'm not doing it for the glory or the food, I'm doing it not to be homeless and starving. Masochism is so far down my list of reasons I barely consider it any more. gently caress, I wish I could quit. I don't know how. Wallowing in self-pity while I'm not on the clock is a comfort to me. Aaaand yeah, I get why that's pathetic now thanks to Simoom.

gently caress.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
If you're doing it for money the bartending gig can probably cover it. Hell, a unionized hotel job, if that's what you just got, can probably cover it. The only bartenders I've ever known who are in dire financial straits are there because they have mental illnesses that they self-medicate for to an extent that makes even me say "gently caress that I am out"! I don't know where you live so I'm not sure what your living expenses are, but a good bartender will make enough money that your insane 80~ hour week idea or whatever you'll be getting cannot possibly be a necessity if there's a fair and just god who looks down upon this earth!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

that's true. If I were working 5 days a week at my FoH breakfast joint I'd be making roughly 50k a year.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Simoom posted:

I care! Do not sacrifice yourself for an industry that does not give a poo poo about you to the point where you would be expected to show up for work after being hit by a truck! gently caress it, and gently caress you big time for halfheartedly glorifying your masochism! Becoming the horse from Animal Farm is not a viable career choice you stupid moron! gently caress whoever instilled the belief in you as a child that you deserve to suffer! I saw the new guy cry today at my job and I am just so done with this bullshit. He looked like how I always feel unless I'm drunk, and in 129 shifts I'll be loving done, and I'll walk away forever and ever and ever, away from the bullshit head games and dick waving contests about who can build their own cross and crucify themselves upon it first! Today marked the end of my 15-17 consecutive shifts I don't remember how many anymore.

That person with the lobster avatar is definitely a smart cookie in this thread and I thank them for calling out my masochism once or twice because this is no way to live!

This is my absolute favourite post because it was barely 6 months ago that

Simoom posted:

manchild anxiety baby's fine dining adventure begins now

hahahahahahahahaha
was a thing. Fastest turnaround ever. And honestly man, good on you.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
I wish it were a fast turnaround, I worked in diners and as a kitchen manager in some scottish place for years beforehand. I had yet to Learn.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

SUGARS. ENDING. IN. -OSE.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
"Your water, ma'am. And what will the rest of the party be having?"

E: Seriously though, I cook in a hospital, and I've never seen a diet order with that much poo poo on it, never mind the "I'm allergic to all sugar" nonsense.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 19, 2015

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
This is like one of those multi variable calculus problems where it's impossible to determine where the line is between "things that legit might kill me" and "whole lot of Munchausen."

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

"I'm sorry, ma'am, but since we prepare foods with several of those components and do not have a separate, sterile kitchen, our chef does not feel comfortable preparing your meal. I truly apologize for the inconvenience, but we cannot risk your health. I hope you understand."

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Coffee beans aren't even a bean, c'mon.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Hauki posted:

Coffee beans aren't even a bean, c'mon.

I explained to someone at work today that we serve a drink made with the dried husks of a coffee cherry, and she genuinely didn't seem to believe that coffee comes from a fruit.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

CleverHans posted:

This is like one of those multi variable calculus problems where it's impossible to determine where the line is between "things that legit might kill me" and "whole lot of Munchausen."

yeah, but in those you can at least approximate

lol at only crab and no other shellfish being on there though

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

JawKnee posted:

yeah, but in those you can at least approximate

lol at only crab and no other shellfish being on there though

Also cashews and no other tree nuts. Come on, you could have been so much more difficult and gotten SO MUCH more attention!!

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Especially since cashews aren't even nuts

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've seen this card before. I'm inclined to think that this is fake. the -ose thing tips the scales for me.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

pile of brown posted:

Especially since cashews aren't even nuts

It contains the same allergens as tree nuts though

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cashew

quote:

For some people, cashews, like other tree nuts, can lead to complications or allergic reactions. Cashews contain gastric and intestinal soluble oxalates, albeit less than some other tree nuts; people with a tendency to form kidney stones may need moderation and medical guidance.[17] Allergies to tree nuts such as cashews can be of severe nature to some people. These allergic reactions can be life-threatening or even fatal; prompt medical attention is necessary if tree nut allergy reaction is observed. These allergies are triggered by the proteins found in tree nuts, and cooking often does not remove or change these proteins. Reactions to cashew and other tree nuts can also occur as a consequence of hidden nut ingredients or traces of nuts that may inadvertently be introduced during food processing, handling or manufacturing. Many nations require food label warning if the food may get inadvertent exposure to tree nuts such as cashews. Individuals with IgE-mediated allergy to cashews are highly likely to be sensitized to the botanically related pistachio nut.

In some people, cashew nut allergy may be a different form, namely birch pollen allergy. This is usually a minor form. Symptoms are confined largely to the mouth.

So even if she is allergic to just cashews, it's unlikely to be life threatening or any more unpleasant than eating something spicier than you thought (dated a guy who had a "confined largely to the mouth" shellfish allergy)

CommonShore posted:

I've seen this card before. I'm inclined to think that this is fake. the -ose thing tips the scales for me.

I wish I could be as charmingly naive as you but I worked for a guy who pulled bullshit like this and these people really are that stupid.

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 19, 2015

BuckT.Trend
Apr 22, 2003

My god, it's full of stars!
If she's allergic to all sugars ending in -ose, how the gently caress is she even still living? Even if you ingest no sugars at all, your body breaks down carbohydrates and proteins into glucose. GLUCOSE. Also known as BLOOD SUGAR. gently caress people with their bullshit special snowflake made up "allergies."

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

if it isn't fake it takes some serious stupid commitment to make business cards for handing out at restaurants

or too much money and time I guess

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

JawKnee posted:

if it isn't fake it takes some serious stupid commitment to make business cards for handing out at restaurants

or too much money and time I guess

You can get 500 for like 5 bux. Maybe :10bux: if you don't get the best sale.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

OR someone made a fake card to get reddit karma. I know people use such cards, but that one just seems like a parody.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
You fools, the wording on the card gives it away. It doesn't say, "here is a list of my allergies," it says, "here is my list of allergies."

:spergin:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I actually prefer when people give me the "I will die if I have these things" cards. Because then I legitimately care, and it isn't some special snowflake who watches Dr. Oz and gluten is the devil, and wants to know why she can't have the margerhita flatbread gluten free. And then gives me a 1 in Medallia because I wasn't able to bend to her loving whims, not because she was a stupid loving oval office.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I had a friend with such a weird mix of food intolerances due to medication and allergies that he always had a list too. He didn't eat out much though, I think. Last I heard they all went away after having some crazy form of electro therapy. Life is weird sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

nuru posted:

I had a friend with such a weird mix of food intolerances due to medication and allergies that he always had a list too. He didn't eat out much though, I think. Last I heard they all went away after having some crazy form of electro therapy. Life is weird sometimes.

Cook shoulda offered to hook Megan up to the deep fryer electrodes.

• Locked thread