Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

Did anyone so far give you a reason why you're being turned down? Just because of being a contractor?

That's not a valid reason. I've been through this with rentals and mortgages.

There is another part of this story that hasn't been told yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I don't know if SoCal is similar to northern California when it comes to dickish landlords, but up here a contractor with income split across six different employers who came with 4V+2T would get rejected almost everywhere unless he was churning so much dough that his gross:rent ratio was through the roof. Even then, they'd tell him to gently caress off with the vehicles and pick 1, maybe 2 to be allowed to park on property.

Still, the fact that you're getting to the credit check part and not just getting laughed out the door in the first place makes me agree that you're not telling us something. Is your credit poo poo? Did you declare bankruptcy in the past? Do you have claims against you from previous landlords? Any landlord references at all? Do you also have pets?

You might not be in current monetary straits (maybe?) but it still sounds like there's something these guys are flagging in your credit check / references and saying "gently caress noooooo" to when they see it. That's why everyone's digging in; something's not passing the smell test.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Is there a thread where BFC meets with Goons with Spoons? I'm trying to change from eating out often to eating out rarely, but I could use advice on how to make my grocery dollar stretch a bit.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

TequilaJesus posted:

Is there a thread where BFC meets with Goons with Spoons? I'm trying to change from eating out often to eating out rarely, but I could use advice on how to make my grocery dollar stretch a bit.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442278&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

TequilaJesus posted:

http://goop.com/my-29-food-stamp-challenge-and-the-recipes-brouhaha-that-ensued/

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

TequilaJesus posted:

In my opinion consistency is more important than anything else, since eating out for convenience is so much more expensive than almost anything you could cook at home.

So what I would shoot for is meal prepping. I cooked 30 meals last Saturday in about three hours, for example. Portioned them all out, and froze them. Now I'm good for a while. I haven't eaten out for convenience in....literally years.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a Service Industry thread somewhere that I completely missed?

Cause that would be my jam

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Is there a Service Industry thread somewhere that I completely missed?

Cause that would be my jam

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3375646

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Such an affront to all of us bright, hope-filled bartenders with zero substance issues!!!!

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

6DP7l7pDWJQvqHnFlC97
VRrc8NHD9he1OCnloxma
AywTNfCDAVF4OCen0tmD
i8YQ48mfWYF9AJJBo1DL
rst7XCTGx5eT1o5f1ptM
tGkgRzg8DiyBA8c6VtsM
D7CbgJExE0pbnodo11vZ
Q3buZiTAGj6ZuzeDu6vY
TJlaZe2h65XsO7hMGjqS
AU9vJMannPyzv04TK1Ii

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 28, 2023

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

FrozenVent posted:

Did anyone so far give you a reason why you're being turned down? Just because of being a contractor?

"Better Qualified Applicant" is what I've been told more often than not. Most agencies I have dealt with give the landlord a number of applicants to choose from, and I've been in the "Top 3 applicants" for over 2 years. Individual landlords usually just say "Sorry, went with someone else."

Sundae posted:

Still, the fact that you're getting to the credit check part and not just getting laughed out the door in the first place makes me agree that you're not telling us something. Is your credit poo poo? Did you declare bankruptcy in the past? Do you have claims against you from previous landlords? Any landlord references at all? Do you also have pets?

I did neglect to mention that we have 2 outdoor pet rabbits, but other than that, our past is clean. Our background checks are clean, our credit scores aren't great, ~650ish for both of us, no bankruptcies or dings for debt. Part of my purchasing the bike was to get the additional loan on my credit to help build it.

I'm really not trying to avoid telling some poo poo, her landlord history is out of state and mine's up from norcal so that can turn someone off.

My overall income only comes to around ~3.5k/Mo and it fluctuates. So some months it can look like I make as little as 1k but I've actually made more under the table. S/O only brings in like 600/mo on disability. We both have multiple severe allergies which prevent us from wanting to seek shared space or try to manage a shared situation. We're on waiting lists for public housing assistance even but the waitlist was 5 years long when we applied a year ago.

Sundae posted:

You might not be in current monetary straits (maybe?) but it still sounds like there's something these guys are flagging in your credit check / references and saying "gently caress noooooo" to when they see it. That's why everyone's digging in; something's not passing the smell test.

Right now, it's not the best money time ever and it seems to me they look at 1-3 of my job references and don't consider the others. They ask for pay stubs but once I cross the threshold of the third paystub, they're looking at me like I'm making poo poo up. Within the next year, my income will triple due to completion of Licensing and promotion.

Hell, I have a teacher who runs their union, been in the same district for 30 years and makes 11k+/Mo co-signing for me and I'm still getting brick walled. I thought for sure when I started getting them on board with me.

I consulted a local property management group owner who told me that his entire property list is 100% occupied and that there's a housing shortage in the area as far as rentals go and it's a landlord's market. I've seen basic apartments I was looking at 18months ago for 1600 going for 2300 now and that's just way outta my range.

A friend offered to help me with some paystubs for me to be able to condense my income into a single verifiable source for prospective landlords at least, though that seemed excessive to me.

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 22, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
try declaring your income for starters considering that it isn't legal to make "more money under the table"

also pretty sure what your friend is suggesting they do for you is technically "fraud"

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

A couple with undeclared fluctuating income, poor credit, a fleet of vehicles and trailers (including a new motorcycle purchased to improve your credit score), "it's not the best money time ever but my income is going to triple soon", rabbits, severe allergies that prohibit roommates, and friends who will "help me with some paystubs"

Bob Log posted:

"Better Qualified Applicant" is what I've been told more often than not.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Enfys posted:

A couple with undeclared fluctuating income, poor credit, a fleet of vehicles and trailers (including a new motorcycle purchased to improve your credit score), "it's not the best money time ever but my income is going to triple soon", rabbits, severe allergies that prohibit roommates, and friends who will "help me with some paystubs"

Whatever could the problem be?

Someone needs to activate the buried lede alarm.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Set up your own LLC and pay yourself through that so there's a single paystub?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Do the current bwm thread rules allow us to cross post this?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Two pages ago I read your first post and knew that as we unraveled this mystery all would become clear.

Do you really seriously have questions about why you haven't been approved?

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Do you really seriously have questions about why you haven't been approved?

I came here looking for info like this;

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Set up your own LLC and pay yourself through that so there's a single paystub?

Because I figured that's where I was heading and was along the lines of what my friend is helping me plan to do. Not Fraud, you guys are hillarious.

I asked what I could do to make my situation look better. I didn't say it was great, sorry I don't do conventional work.

Could've just answered that you can't polish a turd, but I figured someone might have some new angle to work. :tif:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You are not getting disqualified because of your job.

You are getting disqualified because of the dozen vehicle, rabbits, gooniness.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Bob Log posted:

I came here looking for info like this;

Because I figured that's where I was heading and was along the lines of what my friend is helping me plan to do. Not Fraud, you guys are hillarious.

I asked what I could do to make my situation look better. I didn't say it was great, sorry I don't do conventional work.

Could've just answered that you can't polish a turd, but I figured someone might have some new angle to work. :tif:

Do know that I gave that advice only knowing that it's a thing one can do and not because I know anything about the details/tradeoffs. I know others who have successfully negotiated with their employers for the same purpose though so it's certainly not unprecedented.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Bob Log posted:

"Better Qualified Applicant" is what I've been told more often than not.

Honestly, that's the actual reason, too. Here's what I see for you right now:

1) You are attempting to move into an area that really is a landlord's market and will be for the foreseeable future.
2) You're trying to get an apartment for a rent that is cheap by the standards of pretty much any populated region in CA not called Fresno.
3) You're bringing the equivalent of six vehicles and two rabbits. Rabbits are looked down on by landlords even more than having loud dogs. Most places, you're lucky to get 2 parking spots, let alone enough for your fleet.
4) 650ish credit score is a bad score when paired with everything else here.
5) Your income is too low for the rent you're targeting. You're well short of the 3X gross standard markets out here tend to use, and on top of that, it's variable. On this one, it's a combination of two factors that will almost certainly be scaring landlords off. If you were a little short of 3X, you might have a shot. If you had lots of $$$ but it was variable / multi-stubbed, you'd have a shot. You are both multi-stubbed AND short.

Add it all together, and you're effectively a low-income, variably-employed couple with nuisance animals and WAY too many vehicles. If this is the scenario you've been working with for the last year or so, I can absolutely see every single landlord rejecting you. My general suggestions are below. I'm not going to tell you to get rid of the rabbits because getting rid of pets really sucks (and I'd tell someone to gently caress off if they told me to get rid of my cats, so yeah). No easy answer here, so I'm not touching it.

First: I'd go with looking into what Jeffrey said re: consolidating your paystubs somehow. That's your best shot at fixing #5.
Second: ROOMMATES. I know you don't want it, but you're not making enough money to afford a $1,600 apartment in the eyes of your landlords, and more importantly even, there are plenty of people out here who make more than enough to be more viable tenants given the rest of your issues.
Third: You're going to have to drop vehicles or find external parking. You're not doing yourself any favors here.

The sum of the parts in your case is a net negative to the landlord. You're both risky and relatively demanding, and landlords have enough potential tenants right now that they don't need to negotiate with you. Sorry. :(

Sundae fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 22, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Has corporate finance changed in the last decade? Like formulas, corporate capital structure, etc. I'm sure it hasn't but I want to make sure.

I ask because I'm doing a research project on a local business. I can use a ten year old corporate finance text book for reference that I can keep for free, or I can pay money for the newest edition or borrow one that I have to give back.

Thanks!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Has corporate finance changed in the last decade? Like formulas, corporate capital structure, etc. I'm sure it hasn't but I want to make sure.

I ask because I'm doing a research project on a local business. I can use a ten year old corporate finance text book for reference that I can keep for free, or I can pay money for the newest edition or borrow one that I have to give back.

Thanks!

US and international generally accepted accounting processes have shifted somewhat in the last decade, but that's more corporate financial accounting than true finance.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
With Google Finance getting rid of Portfolios as of November, what's a good online portfolio and transaction tracker tool? I really like the Google interface, the ability to enter specific transactions, etc.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Someone please help me get my head around this particular question. I have a variety of debts, the highest interest of which are a mortgage on a second rented property at 5.0% and student loans at 3.7%. The obvious knee-jerk answer is to pay off the highest interest rate debt first, however because the interest on the rental property is basically a deductible business expense, taxable personal income on my schedule E, which is taxed at a rapacious rate of give or take 45%. so in my mind return of paying off this mortgage with post-tax earnings and then being taxed again on the rental income generated by reducing the interest on the loanis really more like 2.6%. at that assumed rate, this would prioritize the debt below my primary residence mortgage and auto loans. Is there some really obvious way that I'm thinking about this wrong, or is my reasoning basically correct and I should throw money at my student loans first ? Sidenote, I have a more than ample emergency fund and all tax advantaged everything possible for me is maxed out.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Someone please help me get my head around this particular question. I have a variety of debts, the highest interest of which are a mortgage on a second rented property at 5.0% and student loans at 3.7%. The obvious knee-jerk answer is to pay off the highest interest rate debt first, however because the interest on the rental property is basically a deductible business expense, taxable personal income on my schedule E, which is taxed at a rapacious rate of give or take 45%. so in my mind return of paying off this mortgage with post-tax earnings and then being taxed again on the rental income generated by reducing the interest on the loanis really more like 2.6%. at that assumed rate, this would prioritize the debt below my primary residence mortgage and auto loans. Is there some really obvious way that I'm thinking about this wrong, or is my reasoning basically correct and I should throw money at my student loans first ? Sidenote, I have a more than ample emergency fund and all tax advantaged everything possible for me is maxed out.

It sounds to me like you're thinking about this correctly and you should go with the student loans.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Plus considering the non-dischargeable nature of student loans in most bankruptcies, it makes a lot of sense to prioritize them.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Curious how you're managing the rental property and how you got into that game in the first place?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
How long are you guys staying at jobs? I'm averaging 2 years per job, mainly because I just haven't found the right fit yet.

I'm putting 10% in my 401k, but I rarely get the match vested, or best case I only get 20% of the match vested. Knowing that you will lose your employer match, would that change what you contribute to your 401k?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Post-military, first job was 21 months, current one is 30 months.

I switched GS positions after about 3 years twice as well, so I'd say 3 years is probably about the time frame.

I'm sticking around here for a while longer due to personal life and also it's 36 months for 100% vesting.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

The place I work at was recently acquired, and I now work at the new parent company. The average tenure there is 17 years :aaa:

Definitely a double-edged sword. People can get too comfortable. Then again, their company has doubled about 10 times in the past 25 years so they're doing something right.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Fozzy The Bear posted:

How long are you guys staying at jobs? I'm averaging 2 years per job, mainly because I just haven't found the right fit yet.

I'm putting 10% in my 401k, but I rarely get the match vested, or best case I only get 20% of the match vested. Knowing that you will lose your employer match, would that change what you contribute to your 401k?

It wouldn't affect my deposits because I max my IRA and 401k annually. If you go past your IRA limit its generally the next best thing. The vesting is a way to try and retain you by deferring some of your compensation. Jumping ship tends to have a better impact on your compensation but make sure you are running the numbers on it.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Holy loving poo poo am I glad 1) we keep a meticulous budget and 2) that we have a sizable emergency fund because our child care just accidentally charged us a $1300 overage. Fortunately the owner was unbelievably apologetic and it doesn't really cause us any problems to just use it as a statement credit toward future services but wow.

Thanks, BFC, you save the day again.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Holy loving poo poo am I glad 1) we keep a meticulous budget and 2) that we have a sizable emergency fund because our child care just accidentally charged us a $1300 overage. Fortunately the owner was unbelievably apologetic and it doesn't really cause us any problems to just use it as a statement credit toward future services but wow.
Why are you giving them a $1300 interest-free loan?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Ralith posted:

Because that's probably about a month of care, and you'd make at most a few dollars of interest in that time?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Ralith posted:

I actually thought about this, which it wouldn't have struck me to before my time here, but I feel comfortable with it because it's a couple of months of tuition and it wouldn't be interest-generating for me at this time, nor are any of the places I'd put that money interest-collecting. (i.e. it won't put me off the timeline from paying any major debts, nor can I earn any more of our emergency fund interest with that money). I won't invest it because it's money already allocated for an expense, and our balances are above the most we can earn our interest on for the emergency fund.

Thus I'm happy being a 0% lender for the good will it has earned from the understandably-very-apologetic business owner.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Ralith posted:

Because making a fuss over a couple of bucks to the people who take care of your children is Bad With Life.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I've been at my company 8 years but have had 5 titles/levels of responsibility in that time.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I did 6 years at one, with several jobs in the same organization. Another 3 years of seasonal work at another, with a kind of promotion after the first year. A year at another job. Now I'm in month 8 of the newest job and I anticipate another big change in 8-9 months, probably back to part time work because my health has been kind of hosed up from the absurd stress. Though I'll probably end up trying the same job in a new location since at least I've gotten my work hours down from 90-100 hours/wk to like, 70-80 and I could see that getting a bit more reasonable in a different organization.

I have absolutely no dream of finding "the right fit". I have a weird set of skills, almost unlimited willingness to relocate for work, and I like the process of learning new positions and industries and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Fozzy The Bear posted:

12 years at this one. I’ve had probably 10 different positions though, starting from unloading containers of parts and driving delivery trucks to upper management at fairly large company.