Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Forgive me but you're coming across as repeating some poo poo you read on a blog, which was what I was talking about in the first place :shrug:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Idk that sounds like a lazy excuse to not actually engage with what's being said :shrug:

Victim blaming is super common where rape is concerned. The fact that certain actions should not be taken because they carry with them a higher chance of rape does not change the fact that once rape has occurred the primary moral agent we should be concerned with is the rapist and that's not usually how it goes down.

Talking about what the victim should have done is like the rape equivalent of "I'm not racist but..."

PS this comic is aggressively mediocre.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 26, 2016

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Dude it hasn't been socially acceptable to blame the victim for like, 40 years now. This conversation is in the same ballpark of dumb as saying we have a culture of murder, and advising people to look to their own security to avoid being murdered is ~perpetuating our murder culture~.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

Dude it hasn't been socially acceptable to blame the victim for like, 40 years now. This conversation is in the same ballpark of dumb as saying we have a culture of murder, and advising people to look to their own security to avoid being murdered is ~perpetuating our murder culture~.

Have you missed all the times society has bent over backwards to not hold someone accountable for sexual assault, or are you just willfully dense? Even if Captain Oblivious is right and you don't leave the internet, it shouldn't take you long to google a case of alleged rape and scroll to the comments section. Of course, maybe its different elsewhere, but in the United States? "Victim blaming" as a catch-all for guilt abatement is hard to miss.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

You can literally watch mainstream news like CNN and listen to anchors discuss the role of the dress of the victim in causing the rape. Jesus christ if you think victim blaming hasn't been socially acceptable for 40 years do you also believe Martin Luther King slew the dragon of racism forever and ever amen? :psyduck:

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

It's not socially acceptable to blame a specific victim, but I see plenty of discussion where people discuss "preventative measures" in a manner that makes it sound like all rape could be prevented if [insert obvious action here], which carries with it the implication that someone who doesn't do that action is bringing it on themselves. This, in turn, implies that anyone who didn't do that action and got raped brought it on themselves, which is victim blaming.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

In polite society, people basically just do the equivalent of dog whistling when it comes to victim blaming.

Of course in the right wing talk radio circuit (Hannity, Rush), they don't even bother with that, they just overtly blame the victim* outright.

*Or minorities

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Warmachine posted:

Have you missed all the times society has bent over backwards to not hold someone accountable for sexual assault, or are you just willfully dense? Even if Captain Oblivious is right and you don't leave the internet, it shouldn't take you long to google a case of alleged rape and scroll to the comments section. Of course, maybe its different elsewhere, but in the United States? "Victim blaming" as a catch-all for guilt abatement is hard to miss.

The only thing that's changed is that people tend to avoid saying the specific words "blame" and "victim" near each other when in polite company.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'd like to thank everybody for recapping blog/tumblr thought trends over incredibly obvious things, thanks everyone you sure raised a lot of awareness here!!

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
talking is fun and the comic updates very slowly :(

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

I'd like to thank everybody for recapping blog/tumblr thought trends over incredibly obvious things, thanks everyone you sure raised a lot of awareness here!!

Acting smug and above it all sure is a great way to avoid acknowledging the super dumb and demonstrably false poo poo you said huh?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You don't sound mad at all, no sir!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Flesh Forge posted:

as an independent observer I can confirm that it is you who is mad

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
The one who is mad is Alison, what with being a grown adult having what appears to be a tantrum for no good reason. (She doesn't really think he's going to fail her and sad boy, does she?)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

EndOfTheWorld posted:

The one who is mad is Alison, what with being a grown adult having what appears to be a tantrum for no good reason. (She doesn't really think he's going to fail her and sad boy, does she?)

Possibly. I mean she has been fighting supervillains since she was a kid, so when you have grown up confronting people who seriously intend to conquer the world with robots or explode the moon, arbitrarily failing people probably doesn't even seem remarkable.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

EndOfTheWorld posted:

(She doesn't really think he's going to fail her and sad boy, does she?)

Some dick professors have actually failed students based on these stunts.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Flesh Forge posted:

No, this page and the next make it pretty clear it's being done without their knowledge or consent.

The page previous to that states that they are working for his company, and the page you linked isn't definitive either way as he's not taking her seriously with her replies. The page after it could go either way depending on how much of a sarcastic dick he is. That they all seem to be going back to hotel rooms means they knew they were going there for something at least.

I dunno, the whole thing was almost as big a mess as the 'sting' that Furnace ruined.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I really hope the professor runs the experiment again, with Allison being "ready", and someone in the class still puts down a white stone because they don't want to take a chance that someone else won't. Leading, of course, to the Lesson that the only way to get everyone to work together is to be a tyrant.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Axiem posted:

I really hope the professor runs the experiment again, with Allison being "ready", and someone in the class still puts down a white stone because they don't want to take a chance that someone else won't. Leading, of course, to the Lesson that the only way to get everyone to work together is to be a tyrant.

Yes. :kheldragar:

Strong Female Protagonist is actually the origin story for the next series, Strong Female Antagonist.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
So basically the professor is right and Allison has the mindset of a tyrant, where she'll force others to bend to her will.

Ok.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flesh Forge posted:

You sound like an idiot

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
making GBS threads on this comic is usually fun but I've honestly been enjoying this issue so far. I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Yeah, this comic is a lot better if read in bursts, even the last issue was fairly brisk outside of Patrick's office taking forever (though that doesn't change how jaw-droppingly dumb the final stretch was, but what are ya gonna do? :v:)

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Discendo Vox posted:

Some dick professors have actually failed students based on these stunts.

Wow, I honestly didn't realize that. A stunt like this seems like something you could appeal to the Dean though.

Axiem posted:

You and me both. That sort of experiment would be a decent microcosm of how Alison would "deal" with, say, Global Warming.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

They've already shown they'd rather fire a professor than give Alison a bad mark, and this one even referenced it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Ignoring the whole ethical dilemma thing and basically all words in the comic for the last few weeks for a second, I want to point out the professor's character design is really strong. Besides color-coordinating his cane, shoes, tie, pocket handkerchief and single gold tooth, his face and hands are covered in little cuts and scars. Between that and said missing tooth, he is someone who has clearly been through some poo poo and suffered for it in a way that Alison never can*. It makes him a really strong contrast to her, in a way that makes him a much more sympathetic figure in this situation.

*Except when Cleaver is involved, which is an interesting parallel because his design is all this stuff taken to a grotesque degree. Which makes him a threat in a way the professor can't possibly be, but it also emphasizes his vulnerability. In fact, unlike Gurwara (whose introduction focused in on his clothing and accessories) Cleaver is completely exposed, which is what made that prison scene so effective.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Atmus posted:

The page previous to that states that they are working for his company, and the page you linked isn't definitive either way as he's not taking her seriously with her replies. The page after it could go either way depending on how much of a sarcastic dick he is. That they all seem to be going back to hotel rooms means they knew they were going there for something at least.

But Patrick and Allison basically state he's illegally obtaining their research findings in order to stay ahead of the curve. Keep in mind that these are the 5 top scientists in their fields and he has them sedated in identical body bags/sleeping bags, most likely to keep up the illusion that nothing is wrong. They went to their hotel rooms after a long day of research and then wake up the next day refreshed and ready for another one.

They are under contract with Templar yes, but what he's doing is outside of their contract. He's just being a dick in brushing off the reality of what he's doing. Kidnapping people under contract to the company he has run by a figurehead, and assimilating their combined knowledge of quantum physics for his personal gain. If they had agreed, why would they be placed so haphazardly around the room? Why not just have Patrick wheel in some futons so that they can all sleep comfortably and not on the floor?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Axiem posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he's probably not stupid enough to run the same experiment twice.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Axiem posted:

I like how she says "I'll be ready," not "we'll be ready." I realize she says that just after "we will all work together," but I'm choosing to interpret as her gut response admits that she'll just strongarm people into doing the right thing.

Although she's kind of nuts, has previously threatened to kill an entire crowd of people, and has the ability to do so, so I'd probably just do whatever she said

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Elysiume posted:

I like how she says "I'll be ready," not "we'll be ready." I realize she says that just after "we will all work together," but I'm choosing to interpret as her gut response admits that she'll just strongarm people into doing the right thing.

Although she's kind of nuts, has previously threatened to kill an entire crowd of people, and has the ability to do so, so I'd probably just do whatever she said

On that note, since the Patrick office scene's also been talked about again recently: My "favorite" thing about that scene is that it ultimately ends with the invincible superhero strongarming someone into doing what she wants.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also making him cry.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Brought To You By posted:

But Patrick and Allison basically state he's illegally obtaining their research findings in order to stay ahead of the curve. Keep in mind that these are the 5 top scientists in their fields and he has them sedated in identical body bags/sleeping bags, most likely to keep up the illusion that nothing is wrong. They went to their hotel rooms after a long day of research and then wake up the next day refreshed and ready for another one.

They are under contract with Templar yes, but what he's doing is outside of their contract. He's just being a dick in brushing off the reality of what he's doing. Kidnapping people under contract to the company he has run by a figurehead, and assimilating their combined knowledge of quantum physics for his personal gain. If they had agreed, why would they be placed so haphazardly around the room? Why not just have Patrick wheel in some futons so that they can all sleep comfortably and not on the floor?

Alison states it, Patrick basically ignores it. The scientists are strewn around the floor for the same reason the Mexican compound guard guy threw an unfired round at Furnace.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Flesh Forge posted:

Look at this mad-rear end motherfucker.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Also making him cry.

After roughing him up a little, so that he knew his place.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Elysiume posted:

Now, how much of this scene is the author knowingly highlighting this terrible flaw she has, and how much is straight unironic Mary Sue? :shrug:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Atmus posted:

Alison states it, Patrick basically ignores it.
But nothing he's done up to this point indicates that she's not right. He has assembled the top scientists in the world to work for his puppet company. For what little is presented they are either working together, or working independently of each other and Patrick taking their combined knowledge is outside their consent.

quote:

The scientists are strewn around the floor for the same reason the Mexican compound guard guy threw an unfired round at Furnace.
That makes no sense, this doesn't look like an art slipup, it's very deliberate that they are placed that way. If they agreed to being drugged to ensure they are peacefully asleep to make assimilation easier for patrick; why the body bags? Why are some of them on the floor and some sitting in chairs? It honestly looks like Patrick had them sedated in their bedrooms and brought to his office and just placed anywhere there was space. If this was legit and set up in advance you think there would be more comfortable arrangements available?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I don't get this push to make it seem like they gave consent for this. Why would he say he's going to move them around while they're unconscious if they were willing participants?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Flesh Forge posted:

Now, how much of this scene is the author knowingly highlighting this terrible flaw she has, and how much is straight unironic Mary Sue? :shrug:

In this specific case? Obviously the former. This whole scene is a trap for Alison to show how her axiom can lead her into bad behavior, and the comic has been pretty clear in the past on several occasions that her desire to use violence or the implied threat of violence to enforce her will, and her reliance on this as her most effective tool, is not a positive aspect of her character. I'm not sure how anyone could read this scene with Alison being in the right, although I just made the mistake of looking at the comment section for the comic and discovered that people are indeed doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'd like to believe the former as well, but the whole last chapter was such a mess with how Mary was written.

• Locked thread