Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

So as I don't think the devs need go this far, more getting into modding territoy, I think it'd be cool to write my own characters dialogue. Setting up relationships, friendships, rivalries, etc. Especially if with some tweaking you could share your characters with other people's, especially friends, so they get your copy of them saying stupid poo poo they always say. Just thinking of the adventure time episode where Finn plays god with the magic dolls of all his friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Angry Diplomat posted:

Oh man, what if the Necromancer made the Apprentice look like a chump because, instead of summoning skeletons, s/he summoned the anguished ghosts of heroes from your graveyard, and your dudes would generate stress from having to fight the wretched shades of their fallen comrades? And you'd be getting increasingly mad because what the gently caress Necromancer, Dismas was clutch as hell and deserves peace, don't loving ghost Dismas you cock you ghosted Dismas oh my god gently caress you

e: the ghosts would have to use a generic "ghost" monster move/attribute set to prevent dumb graveyard micromanagement, and if the Necro ran out of heroes to ghost you'd just get generic spooky phantoms with the same effect but no cool dialogue
This is a good idea

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

Oh man, what if the Necromancer made the Apprentice look like a chump because, instead of summoning skeletons, s/he summoned the anguished ghosts of heroes from your graveyard, and your dudes would generate stress from having to fight the wretched shades of their fallen comrades? And you'd be getting increasingly mad because what the gently caress Necromancer, Dismas was clutch as hell and deserves peace, don't loving ghost Dismas you cock you ghosted Dismas oh my god gently caress you

e: the ghosts would have to use a generic "ghost" monster move/attribute set to prevent dumb graveyard micromanagement, and if the Necro ran out of heroes to ghost you'd just get generic spooky phantoms with the same effect but no cool dialogue

This is a fantastic idea. It would be an extra detail to track behind the scenes, but if it were possible to flag anyone that had ever been in a party with the dead adventurer for a massive stress hit that would be kind of cool too.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Do you mean hellion exclusive, or in general? The solar items imo are no downside outside of dropping like 1500 on a few stacks of torches, which considering my last necromancer lord run yielded 42,000 gold, isn't exactly an issue. That they can be lit midbattle with no consequences or wasted turns is kinda ridiculous too.

He doesn't mean "effectively no downside." he means LITERALLY no downside.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Cephalocidal posted:

This is a fantastic idea. It would be an extra detail to track behind the scenes, but if it were possible to flag anyone that had ever been in a party with the dead adventurer for a massive stress hit that would be kind of cool too.

It sounds like all they'd have to do is crib a few random names from your graveyard, but I am not a programmer.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Cephalocidal posted:

Waffle! posted:

It sounds like all they'd have to do is crib a few random names from your graveyard, but I am not a programmer.

It wouldn't be impossible by any stretch and net performance affect would be fairly minimal. But it would probably require a fair bit of effort to properly test it and make sure it doesn't go bonkers somehow and that effort's expensive/needs to be properly weighed against every other feature or fix in the backlog to decide whether or not it's worth it. Effort might be more minimal if they have a nice setup for arbitrarily creating savegames or some poo poo.

I am a programmer.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Is it just me, or is this game really hard? I've already played for 7-8 in-game weeks, read a couple guides and started over. I bailed out of my week 2 attempt when all my guys were going insane and were on death's door with at least two more fights in front of them, and two of my characters have already died in the week three mission (on the third fight I think).

I really want to like this game, but I can only outright fail so many times in a row.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Fixed weird problem on Mac where you would always get a negative quirk and a positive quirk in the raid results

HUZZAH

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

EvilCornbread posted:

Is it just me, or is this game really hard? I've already played for 7-8 in-game weeks, read a couple guides and started over. I bailed out of my week 2 attempt when all my guys were going insane and were on death's door with at least two more fights in front of them, and two of my characters have already died in the week three mission (on the third fight I think).

I really want to like this game, but I can only outright fail so many times in a row.

It isn't. What kind of party comp were you sending in, and with what kind of supplies?

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010
One of the patches seems to have wiped out my graveyard! How am I supposed to brag now?

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Anatharon posted:

It isn't. What kind of party comp were you sending in, and with what kind of supplies?
I don't really remember specifics, but the second expedition seemed pretty reasonable -- one tanky guy, one healer in the back, a jester guy, and the poison throwing guy. The third expedition was admittedly kind of crap and had basically no healing, but all my second-week guys were in the shop for week three, and I got literally no healing guys in the stagecoach, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. I had plenty of food and torches, I was always keeping light at like 85+.

Restarted again -- in the very first week's expedition, just ran into a pack of four spiders. One of my characters got webbed by one spider, crit for 24 (death's door) by the second, then it was his turn, the poison ticked, he failed his check and died. Literally three sequential combat moves and he went from full health to permadead. What the gently caress.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's going to happen in the beginning, but as you build up the town and upgrade characters(and find good trinkets), they'll become more resilient. I've not had a non-level 0 dude die in quite some time, I actually had to kick out a few level 4's to make room for a Hellion, Bounty Hunter, and Grave Robber to level to rank 6.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

GladRagKraken posted:

One of the patches seems to have wiped out my graveyard! How am I supposed to brag now?

"No deaths."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

EvilCornbread posted:

The game has a big hump in the beginning until you get enough cash to upgrade equipment and skills.

So lots can wrong like getting hit with too many lucky crits or getting your party badly screwed up.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Plague Doctors and Jesters are bottom tier classes, if workable. Dots (in the Jester's case weak dots) have trouble competing with direct damage that can outright kill opponents. Plague Doctor is also one of the squishiest classes in the game. I'm not saying you can't make them work, you can, it just isn't easy.

Critical hits in this game are really swingy, and the best way to avoid them is ending combat as quickly as possible. Did you upgrade your caravan as much as possible during week 1?

Edit: In proper RPG tradition, the beginning is the only challenging part of the game. Once you get past week 8 or 10 you'll long for the first time you played the tutorial and lost your entire team.

2nd Edit: Healing is honestly not that great. Enemies will hit far harder than you can heal and sandbagging is boring as hell. Being tanky isn't very important either, since most of the scary enemies can attack your back row. I'd focus on high speed and high damage starting out. Tanky and high damage (crusaders) as well.

Make sure you don't use buffs or debuffs. Outside of the protection buff, which is situational, they all suck. Stun isn't bad early on.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 1, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
^^^ That's so weird. The jesters and plague doctors have always treated me pretty well.

Although I rarely ever GET jesters in the caravan. Which is a shame cause I think they're cool. They have a good design and I like their sickle.

EvilCornbread posted:

Restarted again -- in the very first week's expedition, just ran into a pack of four spiders. One of my characters got webbed by one spider, crit for 24 (death's door) by the second, then it was his turn, the poison ticked, he failed his check and died. Literally three sequential combat moves and he went from full health to permadead. What the gently caress.

Are you making sure you're not doing dungeons meant for characters at level 3-5? I've never had a spider give me trouble, let alone crit me for that much

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 1, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Macaluso posted:

^^^ That's so weird. The jesters and plague doctors have always treated me pretty well.

Although I rarely ever GET jesters in the caravan. Which is a shame cause I think they're cool. They have a good design and I like their sickle.

Are you making sure you're not doing dungeons meant for characters at level 3-5? I've never had a spider give me trouble, let alone crit me for that much

The problem with Plague Doctors is they're kinda low damage and their debuffs aren't really THAT useful.

Jesters are kinda finicky with their positioning.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Macaluso posted:

It was a level one mission, the only one available in fact (like I said, this was my first real mission). Spiders also give you Marked when they web you, which presumably contributed to the crit. Just seemed awfully bullshitty.

I did upgrade my caravan as much as I could, seems like having a big roster is really important when you need to rotate in a fresh crew every week.

I really question the wisdom of having a game be at its most difficult right at the beginning.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

EvilCornbread posted:

It was a level one mission, the only one available in fact (like I said, this was my first real mission). Spiders also give you Marked when they web you, which presumably contributed to the crit. Just seemed awfully bullshitty.

I did upgrade my caravan as much as I could, seems like having a big roster is really important when you need to rotate in a fresh crew every week.

I really question the wisdom of having a game be at its most difficult right at the beginning.

Pretty much every RNG reliant game is going to be harder earlier when your options for manipulating said RNG are limited.

Also the most I've ever seen a spider do is like 8 damage on a crit. :shrug:

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Anatharon posted:

Pretty much every RNG reliant game is going to be harder earlier when your options for manipulating said RNG are limited.

Well, sure, but it's not like you can't compensate for that in early dungeons with fewer/weaker/less dangerous enemies.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

EvilCornbread posted:

Me too. This is why I only finish RPGs that have a particularly good story. Hopefully they balance the game better before release.

Plague Doctors can work, but they aren't as good as other classes. Their shuffle power is completely overshadowed by the Bounty Hunter's stun. Their back row stun only hits 2 opponents if you haven't killed anyone and has really low accuracy, making it significantly worse than the Hellion's YAWP. Dots don't kill enemies immediately, which means they get to make additional attacks that will gradually wear away down party. If they had higher base damage the dots would be more worthwhile, but right now, between having to hit twice to apply all of their damage and the speed at which it is applied, you are better off with a highwayman or hellion.

Edit: Don't get me started on them not having a 100% chance to remove conditions with their 1 point of healing.

Macaluso posted:

I really like the visual design for lepers, jesters, occultists, and plague doctors, but they are so underwhelming. In a game where buffs and debuffs are rarely worthwhile they just can't compete with Crusaders, Vestels, and Hellions.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 1, 2015

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Is there a way to know/notice when a torch buff has worn off? I used a torch at the start of one hallway (98 light), ran into guys in the third square and got (surprisingly) surprised, and when I checked my torch light was down to 74.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

Me too. This is why I only finish RPGs that have a particularly good story. Hopefully they balance the game better before release.

Plague Doctors can work, but they aren't as good as other classes. Their shuffle power is completely overshadowed by the Bounty Hunter's stun. Their back row stun only hits 2 opponents if you haven't killed anyone and has really low accuracy, making it significantly worse than the Hellion's YAWP. Dots don't kill enemies immediately, which means they get to make additional attacks that will gradually wear away down party. If they had higher base damage the dots would be more worthwhile, but right now, between having to hit twice to apply all of their damage and the speed at which it is applied, you are better off with a highwayman or hellion.

Edit: Don't get me started on them not having a 100% chance to remove conditions with their 1 point of healing.

Bounty Hunter Flashbang also has a higher strength value so it has a better chance of getting your party a needed stun.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

KPC_Mammon posted:

Plague Doctors and Jesters are bottom tier classes, if workable. Dots (in the Jester's case weak dots) have trouble competing with direct damage that can outright kill opponents. Plague Doctor is also one of the squishiest classes in the game. I'm not saying you can't make them work, you can, it just isn't easy.
I assume you mean at the beginning right, because my A-Team frontman is a Jester. He's beastly, dodgy, crits like crazy, and drops solos erryday. If he gets knocked back he dirk stabs right back to the front, and can add bleeds if I feel like it(I don't).

Even though I've not had the legendary 15 damage Solo crit happen again, he still gets 4-8 Solo crits pretty often. Just found a second Legendary Bracer so I'm gonna slap that on him and see what it does.

edit: and my third slot A-Team member is an Occultist. Somehow I just think you've not really tried them out if you think they're bad, I killed the Hag Witch in 4 turns with them and barely took any damage.

EvilCornbread posted:

Is there a way to know/notice when a torch buff has worn off? I used a torch at the start of one hallway (98 light), ran into guys in the third square and got (surprisingly) surprised, and when I checked my torch light was down to 74.

The light changes to a reddish hue. You can use torches during combat as well without penalty, keep that in mind.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 1, 2015

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

I assume you mean at the beginning right, because my A-Team frontman is a Jester. He's beastly, dodgy, crits like crazy, and drops solos erryday. If he gets knocked back he dirk stabs right back to the front, and can add bleeds if I feel like it(I don't).

Jester frontman soloing with trinkets is alright later on. Highwayman's grapeshot will hit 1 fewer opponent but do 15-25 damage, 50 on a crit. He also brings much better single target damage for later in the fight. The game is easy enough that you can make a jester work, but he is still outclassed.

That said, he scales much better than the plague doctor.

Regarding light, once you get used to how combat works, you'll probably want to run at lowest light possible at all times. You get a fairly significant boost to critical hit rate and loot. Since critical hits reduce stress the ---stress penalty doesn't really matter.

Edit: As I've previously mentioned, I love the occultist/plague doctor/jester character designs. I've used them a fair bit. I have no trouble beating no torch dungeon and boss runs with them. That doesn't mean they are as good as the better classes. Good classes will kill the witch in 2 turns.

If you want to argue that occultist and jester are more fun once you've gotten the hang of the game I won't argue with you, but for a new player having trouble I wouldn't recommend them.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 1, 2015

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

So if in the very first week I have one guy die, the other three with maxxed out stress, and failed the mission, I should just restart, right?

I'm really looking forward to the point where I actually complete a mission.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

EvilCornbread posted:

So if in the very first week I have one guy die, the other three with maxxed out stress, and failed the mission, I should just restart, right?

I'm really looking forward to the point where I actually complete a mission.

Your party members don't really matter. If you completely run out of adventurers the wagon will give you four new characters.

What matters, long term, is upgrading your town.

Edit: This means you are often better off dismissing stressed out heroes than sending them to the Inn or Abbey. As long as your party comes back with some relics or gold the mission was a success.

I'd suggest pushing your adventurers as far and hard as you safely can, so you can get a feel for their limitations before they've leveled up a few times and you've grown attached. Another advantage of using heroes until their breaking point is you'll have an excuse to try different party compositions, some of which you might really like.

I've seen streamers fight a single battle and then return home. Don't do that. It isn't fun.

Double Edit: By safely I mean half of them are dead and the rest are insane. What matters is that the loot is delivered safely into your hands.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 1, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah don't be afraid to abandon quests if it means you get some loot, better that than wiping and losing it all.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Another note: the game gets significantly easier once you can go on medium length missions. Camping is amazing. You can heal a bunch of stress and get long duration buffs that are game changing. Make sure you bring some extra food.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Jester is awesome! Battle Ballad all day 'erry day.

Went camping. My Bounty Hunter taught my Crusader "This is how we do it" and then my Vestal blessed him. He gets this accuracy and crit buff, which balances out with the drawback of the Rabies he just acquired.

So basically he had a damage buff, a crit buff, and an accuracy buff. Followed by constant Battle Ballads every turn for stacking speed/crit/accuracy. I didn't even realize Holy Lance had a 10% base crit rate. My Crusader became Death Incarnate for the rest of that dungeon, Smiting, Zealously Persecuting and Holy Lancing without prejudice. Battles would end with him having as much as like +20% crit, not counting his attack skill's modifier.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I know spider problems are rare, but I have only had characters die to spiders. Usually they're not too bad, but sometimes they just crit and dodge the gently caress out of everything. Spiders/maggets/dogs can just be annoying as poo poo when you are at level and their dodge is still really good.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
EvilCornbread: If you're willing to opt in to the Steam beta so you can stream, I think you're sort of at the point where it'd be helpful if someone watched you play so they can offer on-the-spot tips for what's going on.

I volunteer to do this, go ahead and add me on steam (profile here) and I will help you out.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 1, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Spiders seem to do a lot more damage when one of your heroes gets marked by their web attack.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

Jester frontman soloing with trinkets is alright later on. Highwayman's grapeshot will hit 1 fewer opponent but do 15-25 damage, 50 on a crit. He also brings much better single target damage for later in the fight. The game is easy enough that you can make a jester work, but he is still outclassed.

Yeah, Jester is pretty crappy right now. I wanted to like it, and got one up to level 4, but in the end he's outclassed by every other "rogue" class.

I think they have the right idea with the skills, but they're pretty weak at the moment, even at higher levels. And while the class has a high dodge rating (maybe even the highest?), the low hitpoints means that an unlucky crit can bring it to death's door.

It's a risky class to play, but the rewards aren't quite worth it currently, imo.

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Spiders seem to do a lot more damage when one of your heroes gets marked by their web attack.

Yeah, they get double damage to marked targets like the bounty hunter's collect bounty. It makes spitters really dangerous.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I don't think the Jester is bad, but I do have a hard time justifying giving up an attacker to buff. Debuff resistance is just insane at high levels, so Solo really amounts to little more than a full-form AoE with an off-chance of scoring a nice debuff, and you still need to build the Jester around it with trinkets.

Battle Ballad, for me, is a "the final monster just attacked, let's see if we can end with a crit for some stress relief" play for me. Although, if I'm just going to do that, I might as well do the stress relief song.

I still feel like the Jester is a cherry on top for really good parties, but if the party isn't specifically built around his specialties, he's a suboptimal pick.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

WHAT?!?!

I'm 35 weeks in and had no idea this was a bug.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've had trouble getting the most out of my jester, but as I said before I love my plague doctor. She burns down bosses, and her blight sometimes effectively buys an extra turn or two for healing when it's going to kill an enemy on their next move, meaning I can have everyone else screw around until the enemy drops dead. Also, her back row stun is great and almost never fails for me.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
That narrator is the best thing about this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I actually think the Jester works fine as a frontliner, just not great. He has poo poo HP but crazy good dodge so his HP usually stays high anyways. The main advantage he has over other frontliners is that he can always get right back to the front if he needs too. Unfortunately, that doesn't make up for the fact that his abilities up front are pretty lackluster. Solo just isn't that good. It looks amazing but it does tickling damage and the debuff is resisted way too much to ever be useful. So I guess I think the Jester is usable as a frontliner but other frontliners are stronger than him so if you're having trouble with the game skip him. I don't like using him in the back because I think having one person spamming nothing but buffs is really boring, plus I feel the stress removing moves in general are scummy.

If stress was a bigger issue he'd be great on long missions since his camp buffs are fantastic for stress removal.