Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Bogan Krkic posted:

The Ballon d'Or (along with a bunch of other trophies like that) are based solely on reputation, not on achievements. He could not play for a year and so long as his rep was still high enough he could still win it

sassassin posted:

It's also an calendar year award rather than tying in with the continental football season so the quality that presumably made you sign him is being considered just as highly as recent struggles.

Sure, but it's not like Kyiv made a deep CL run or anything to put him on the worldwide radar. There wasn't even any competition from other megabastards when I signed him for £90k/week. The runner up was my team's top striker, who had also been the runner up for it the previous year, who had more goals, more assists, a higher average rating, and more PoMs for the calendar year, for a team that did the English double and ran to the CL semifinal. I have no idea how the Ukrainian kid got that kind of rep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

i have noticed sometimes u get stuff in your inbox saying ‘Player X has been overlooked for the national team despite their excellent recent form’ and it turns out Player X is a washed up 35 year old whose “excellent recent form” has been for the B team. i wonder if something similar could happen for the ballon d’or

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

yugioh mishima posted:

i have noticed sometimes u get stuff in your inbox saying ‘Player X has been overlooked for the national team despite their excellent recent form’ and it turns out Player X is a washed up 35 year old whose “excellent recent form” has been for the B team. i wonder if something similar could happen for the ballon d’or

in an old version of FM when I was managing a national team I got questions every single time I had to do call-ups about some 35-year-old in Ligue 2 scoring less than 1 goal every 2 games

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Speaking of national teams, in the 2034 World Cup final, in the 69th minute, leading 1-0, England went up a man.

They lost.

In regulation time.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Speaking of national teams, in the 2034 World Cup final, in the 69th minute, leading 1-0, England went up a man.

They lost.

In regulation time.

Nice

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
As England in CM2 I lost the World Cup final to the USA 1-0. Brian Deane was the top scorer in the tournament with 8 goals.

I then got sacked.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm pretty sure losing a World Cup knockout match to the US would be an instasack for any major Euro national manager

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm pretty sure losing a World Cup knockout match to the US would be an instasack for any major Euro national manager

In this vein, this (from FM15) is my favourite FM screenshot literally ever:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dallan Invictus posted:

In this vein, this (from FM15) is my favourite FM screenshot literally ever:

:canada:
:sickos:
:canada:

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Wow, they won one game and yet won the world cup!

I wonder if it's possible to 0-0 your way to a world cup win? Loft the trophy without ever scoring (or conceding) a goal?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Masonity posted:

I wonder if it's possible to 0-0 your way to a world cup win? Loft the trophy without ever scoring (or conceding) a goal?

Mourinho just got a semi and doesn't know why

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Masonity posted:

They actually lost the final IIRC, but three straight shootout wins was noteworthy enough to hit F12 (like a quarter of the team were my players and of course MLS was in season but I gave them all a week off when they came back).

(vyelkin: you'll be unsurprised to hear that Benito Floro was still managing them ingame)

quote:

Given the way the group stage and tiebreakers currently work it'd be tough: you'd get 3 points and 0 GD/GF/GA, so of the other three games in the group, you'd need:
  • at most one to have a winner
  • any that did not have a winner to also end in goalless draws
  • to win the tiebreaker(s) on fair play points or drawing of lots
it's a slow day at work okay

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dallan Invictus posted:

They actually lost the final IIRC, but three straight shootout wins was noteworthy enough to hit F12 (like a quarter of the team were my players and of course MLS was in season but I gave them all a week off when they came back).

(vyelkin: you'll be unsurprised to hear that Benito Floro was still managing them ingame)

Given the way the group stage and tiebreakers currently work it'd be tough: you'd get 3 points and 0 GD/GF/GA, so of the other three games in the group, you'd need:
  • at most one to have a winner
  • any that did not have a winner to also end in goalless draws
  • to win the tiebreaker(s) on fair play points or drawing of lots
it's a slow day at work okay

I think it would be possible to have a group shake out like this:

code:
Team      W    D    L    Pts
A         2    1    0    7
B         0    3    0    3
C         0    2    1    2
D         0    2    1    2
provided that Team A drew with B and beat C and D, and then every other game was drawn. Team B would finish in second by virtue of drawing rather than losing to Team A, and go through to the knockouts where they could beat everyone on penalties.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Alternatively you could probably more likely have 7 3 3 1 where the team that drew everyone gets through on goal differential because the team that won the group smashed the other teams.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
So with Brexit, it's no longer to sign EU players and have them move to your club before they're 18 right?

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

i had an fm14 save where south africa won the WC with a solitary group stage win and only one goal from open play

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
1-2 1-1 2-1 1-0 1-0 1-0 Greece Style.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
In 2010, I remember New Zealand drawing all three group stage matches, including to a miserable Italian team that had less points than they did. They could have ended up in the knockout rounds had things fallen a bit differently, but they were the only team at the tournament that year who did not lose a match. Even mighty Spain, who won the whole thing, lost their first group match and then swept the rest to win the tournament.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Ragingsheep posted:

So with Brexit, it's no longer to sign EU players and have them move to your club before they're 18 right?

Under 18s haven't moved internationally in a few versions, brexit aside.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Masonity posted:

Under 18s haven't moved internationally in a few versions, brexit aside.

They could within the EU pre Brexit and until this year, I think the severity of the rules was random.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Mickolution posted:

They could within the EU pre Brexit and until this year, I think the severity of the rules was random.

I'm pretty sure that for the last few versions they haven't been able to. I'm a youth horder and European players joining the window after they turn 18 is a long running pain in my rear end.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Masonity posted:

I'm pretty sure that for the last few versions they haven't been able to. I'm a youth horder and European players joining the window after they turn 18 is a long running pain in my rear end.

If I recall correctly, you would get a message about Brexit that would range from "everything staying the same" to "you can't sign anyone" because they didn't know how it would work.

One save I had (a few years ago) made it impossible to sign players that weren't internationals in their prime. I remember scouting some old players whose contracts were running down (big name players like Pique) but because they had retired from international, they wouldn't get a work permit.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

None of that is what he's talking about. What he's talking about is if you (as a team in England) sign a player from any other country (I think even Ireland/Scotland) who is less than 18 years old he doesn't actually join your team until the window after he turns 18. It has nothing to do with Brexit.

It's annoying because (1) very often by the time he finally joins you he's picked up a recurring groin strain or something, and (2) sometimes it will prevent him from picking up homegrown status before he turns 21.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

It has nothing to do with Brexit.

This has to do with Brexit in the sense that it was and is possible if both countries involved were in the EU (because that's an exemption to the FIFA rule in question) but of course, since Brexit England is no longer such a country so sucks to be you.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 23, 2021

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

None of that is what he's talking about. What he's talking about is if you (as a team in England) sign a player from any other country (I think even Ireland/Scotland) who is less than 18 years old he doesn't actually join your team until the window after he turns 18. It has nothing to do with Brexit.

It's annoying because (1) very often by the time he finally joins you he's picked up a recurring groin strain or something, and (2) sometimes it will prevent him from picking up homegrown status before he turns 21.

It absolutely is because of Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/dec/28/football-and-brexit-a-guide-to-the-new-rules

quote:

One consequence is that the value of English players will go up. Everyone agrees on that and this is surely good news for the football pyramid. Yes, the big clubs will put even more emphasis on recruiting the best young talent (especially as leaving the EU means a ban on signing under-18s from abroad, which has been a popular move with some top-six clubs). But lower-league clubs who do the same will also be able to provide a pathway to first-team experience, which could be to their advantage.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Interesting, I didn't know that tidbit. It must have started with FM18 then.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, it makes managing in Britain a bit of a pain in the arse.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

What used to happen was that while FIFA regulations ban the movement of players under 18, it didn't apply to U18 players in the EU due to its freedom of migration rules. So English clubs could snap up talents from the rest of the EU and also South American U18 players who happen to find an EU member behind the couch...

Now that England has left the EU due to Brexit, they can't do that anymore. It also looks like that U18 English passport holders who come from an overseas club don't move before they turn 18 too now.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Latest news from 2036:

They sacked Lucas Digne and hired Nacho midseason but were dramatically relegated on the final day when they drew Southampton and Tottenham, securely locked into 4th place, laid down at home for Accrington Stanley (who had picked up a sugar daddy sometime in the early 2030s).

Football Manager: Because you can't make this poo poo up.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Ugh I'm just starting the 2026 preseason and they did it, they did the 48 team World Cup.

At least Uzbekistan managed to beat Germany to get out of the 3 team groups, that was amusing.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Latest news from 2036:

They sacked Lucas Digne and hired Nacho midseason but were dramatically relegated on the final day when they drew Southampton and Tottenham, securely locked into 4th place, laid down at home for Accrington Stanley (who had picked up a sugar daddy sometime in the early 2030s).

Football Manager: Because you can't make this poo poo up.

I think I posted it before but I saw a screenshot where City got relegated in the first season, I'd love to see what screwy decisions were made behind the scenes for that one.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
My desktop finally gave up the ghost so I started a new save on my eleven year old laptop while I wait for parts to arrive (fair play to SI for keeping FM running on pretty much anything.) I have to say FM is just not as engrossing if you have to be engrossed by it. Because the laptop is so underpowered I have to have every other program closed and FM running full screen on a less than 1080p resolution laptop screen, and not being able to shitpost and read discord/forums while the game is happening takes away a lot from the experience.

Sure, it'll only take ten seconds for the game to process something (although longer on the laptop) but when you're just sitting there doing nothing those few seconds are a real distraction compared to a proper system where you can be complaining to half a chat room that you always lose in penalties.

Also, I'm trying to cut down on my smoking and FM is not a benefit to that. It's the perfect game to chain smoke while drinking coffee like an Italian manager on the sidelines.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah I play loooooong saves and by about 2030 the game's general day to day processing gets excruciatingly slow on my laptop. Not really playable unless I'm doing something else and just letting it grind in the background, checking in every 10 minutes or so.

I assume the CPU is the limiter.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 12, 2021

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah I play loooooong saves and by about 2030 the game's general day to day processing gets excruciatingly slow on my laptop. Not really playable unless I'm doing something else and just letting it grind in the background, checking in every 10 minutes or so.

I assume the CPU is the limiter.

Same but I also like to play with more leagues running, which doesn't help either.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I think the processing time does top out after a few seasons, I used to leave the game on holiday overnight years ago just to see what happened.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Ben Brereton has been called up by Chile because their FA noticed he was eligible in FM. Researchers making a difference (I credit myself with kickstarting Dan James' career).

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I'm not too sure what to make of the increase in team dynamics/relationships/team leader/social circle type demands. I'm fairly sure it's been increased in importance for FM21. I've bought guys, good stats, no issues with consistency or big games, quick to gain tactical familiarity, but it could take a whole season or off season with the team before they're performing as their ability should indicate.

On top of that, I keep getting cupset. My brother maintains that the AI punishes you for resting players, and it's just not something you should do for cups, but I get the feeling that the familiarity of the players with each other, and the regular starting team are all just more of a cohesive unit.

It makes constantly improving your team quite difficult, because even if you've brought in better players, the team's form will dip against their better stats because of social issues, so you have to wait for them to bed down, then you bring in more players, and it's back to the start. (And yes, I run "Team Bonding" most weeks.)

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
Long term FM 2017 save; had to pop in and express my joy.

I've battled up with Weston-super-Mare from the Vanarama South, up to the Sky Bet Championship, where we're doing fairly well.

We draw Tottenham in the 5th round of the FA cup; and I'm mentally punting the game before it starts. How am I going to keep morale up for league play if Tottenham rock us by 7?

Oh.

By beating them 3-2 in regulation.

Played not quite my best 11, and they played their D team; while poo poo talking us all week... and we just got off to a flying start and held out.

Easily the biggest win for my dudes, ever.

Taking my smuggled Canadians to Disneyland! Or whatever Weston-super-Mare has.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Forget Brexit, I just got SerbIN! Serbia and Montenegro both joined the EU. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
Now we're presumably in the last patch, how is the match engine feeling?

This is the first version I've not bought since Championship Manager 2 had separate leagues.

It's on offer now, is it worth the upgrade from last year?