Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not a cat owner but outdoor cats seem infinitely happier and cooler and if it gets run over by a truck at least it probably died having fun. Just make sure it's balls are gone and who cares. Indoor cats are miserable blobs owned by dweebs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

veni veni veni posted:

I'm not a cat owner

Me neither. My mom tho, had indoor cats, and they were wonderful. She's a graphic designer and artist (retired) so your argument is wholly debunked.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've lived with a bunch of cats though they just weren't mine.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Just change your bedclothes once a week you slobs.

Getting into bed with fresh bedclothes is the best.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My family's cats are all indoor/outdoor 'cause the country is a good place for that if you keep up on their immunization and flea meds. They all get rounded up before storms and at night due to coyotes, so they've learned to come to their names. :3:

They also head into the basement on their own during tornados, finally putting an end to my reoccurring nightmares of gathering pets during a calamity.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

On that note, if you live in an apartment, don't get a dog. Dogs need to be able to run around outside, just taking it for a walk every few days isn't fair to the doggy.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
There is a valid argument that letting your cats out is harmful to the local bird population, but really I think the making sure they are neutered/spayed is much more important. If we stopped producing so many cats, some people letting their cat outside especially out in the country wouldn't matter as much and the birds would be more or less fine.

Too many people though are insulted by the idea of cutting their animal's balls off or whatever, like it makes them depressed or they need to breed them because kittens are cute.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Indoor cats live over twice as long as outdoor cats.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

doverhog posted:

Me neither. My mom tho, had indoor cats, and they were wonderful. She's a graphic designer and artist (retired) so your argument is wholly debunked.

Are you saying graphic designers aren't dweebs, or that they don't smell of piss? Either way, I'm not convinced.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
My childhood cat's health definitely suffered for being an outdoor cat, but not in the way you'd expect. He would make daily rounds of the neighbourhood visiting at least 3 or 4 different old ladies who would feed him, including poo poo cats aren't suppose to have like milk and tuna. By the time we caught on to what was happening the cat was very overweight but would yowl constantly if we tried to keep him inside. The households we knew he was visiting said they'd stop feeding him but who knows if they actually did.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

steinrokkan posted:

Are you saying graphic designers aren't dweebs, or that they don't smell of piss? Either way, I'm not convinced.

What is a dweeb anyway? Don't you have to wear a bow tie and belong to the A.V. club to qualify?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

There is a valid argument that letting your cats out is harmful to the local bird population

They also have a very harmful effect on the local rodent population which is a good thing.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

There is a valid argument that letting your cats out is harmful to the local bird population

that really can't be understated especially in areas without many cats to begin with, when i was a wee lad the area i used to live in was fairly poorly developed, mostly woods and not that many houses nearby, and we actually didn't have a single neighbor who owned an outdoor cat for most of the 90s; anyway for school project i made my first birdhouse which would become one of many in the quaint but lively bird sanctuary i'd eventually create in my backyard

summer mornings were filled with chipper birdsongs - until the new neighbors came, until their outdoor cat came with its cute, unassuming, tiny little body

the slaughter was incomprehensible

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It's definitely a problem, and people are ignorant in general and think of birds only as the annoying things that wake them up at sunrise (when you should be getting up anyway barring weird work schedules, but that's another topic) and don't understand or appreciate their role in the environment in general. It's impossible to know for sure how things would change for humans if whatever species goes extinct - maybe it will do nothing, maybe it will do a lot, but the fact that it could cause a collapse that directly effects us should make people err on the side of caution and do whatever we can do to preserve it just in case.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

interesting that you would mention that, i def remember that the immediate consequence of the sudden bird pop drop was a massive spike in the insect pop - like whole houses would be covered in leatherjackets like some biblical plague had descended upon the neighborhood and mosquitoes went from casual annoyance to tireless menace

luckily that area went from under developed to really-loving developed so most nearby forests were leveled and streams were covered-up or redirected, eventually all that natural demolition did take care of the insect problem :shepface:

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

It's impossible to know for sure how things would change for humans if whatever species goes extinct - maybe it will do nothing, maybe it will do a lot, but the fact that it could cause a collapse that directly effects us should make people err on the side of caution and do whatever we can do to preserve it just in case.

Or maybe we shouldn't make species go extinct at all, rather than just consider the impact on humans.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

tight aspirations posted:

Or maybe we shouldn't make species go extinct at all, rather than just consider the impact on humans.

That was my entire point. If it can be avoided, it should be even if there is no readily apparent impact on humans. Maybe read the whole thing and think about what it says before responding to it, because we agree.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

That was my entire point. If it can be avoided, it should be even if there is no readily apparent impact on humans. Maybe read the whole thing and think about what it says before responding to it, because we agree.

Well you seemed to imply that the deciding factor should be the apparent effect on humans. If I misread your post, I apologise.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
Heres one: i dont think there's any problem with a child having a job as long as they arent being overworked/forced out of school/put in an inappropriate position. The industrial revolution kind of gave child labor a bad name and I don't actually see the difference in a 12 year old having a lawn mowing service, which society is fine with, and a 12 year old working at mcdonalds, which is illegal.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Spinning Robo posted:

Heres one: i dont think there's any problem with a child having a job as long as they arent being overworked/forced out of school/put in an inappropriate position. The industrial revolution kind of gave child labor a bad name and I don't actually see the difference in a 12 year old having a lawn mowing service, which society is fine with, and a 12 year old working at mcdonalds, which is illegal.

You must've had a great childhood.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Jobs are, for the most part, for keeping people too busy to think about death. Kids don't think about death, so save those jobs for someone who does.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I think i agree - there's nothing inherently wrong with child labor as long as it is completely voluntary and they aren't expected to work long hours.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Jobs suck. We shouldnt have jobs. Nobody needs to be working at McDonalds. Let robots do all that poo poo, if they can. Or raise the minimum wage so people can live off of their McDonalds job and pay their bills. People who say that jobs are good because they "give people purpose" or whatever, are all bourgeosie fuckheads who have never worked a day in their lives. Their idea of "work" is mommy or daddy giving them a job to do nothing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The only reason there's child labor laws is to keep the adult unemployment numbers down.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

doverhog posted:

That is actually bad, because the outside is dangerous, full of cars and rat poison. You should love your kitty enough to imprison it indoors, kindly, while feeling vaguely bad about "owning" a living thing.

You don't own cats. Cats own you.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Spinning Robo posted:

Perspective from a country where child labor is legal today:
As awful as it sounds, the children working factory jobs in third world countries are the more fortunate of the impoverished classes. A lot of them otherwise get shuttled off into prostitution or their parents hobble them/cut something off to make them more sympathetic beggars. A lot of folks don't quite realize that due to the social systems in place in SE Asian countries, these kids don't just get the chance to go to school if the law says they can't work: That's reserved for a person born into at least the servant class. The countries in question are also still set up so that your family might not be able to feed themselves without all hands on deck earning wages. A lot of them don't have 15-20 years to invest in a child's education and don't really have contraceptive options available because A) Your government has nothing but contempt for your existence, like hell they're going to supply you with a social service; and B) Massive ignorance about how sex and pregnancy even work. Also maybe C) Your religion doesn't allow it. So as it stands, the kids working in the factory are out of the elements, have set hours, earn standard wages and are learning a trade. It's a grotesquely low bar to clear, but the other class-specific options are prostitution and begging.

The issue of child labor tethers into so, so many issues ingrained in these countries that you'll essentially have to dismantle the entire system to get it working the way it should. (In that all children are entitled to an education.)

This all also ties into my unpopular opinion that some cultures are just harmful and shouldn't be preserved.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Das Boo posted:

This all also ties into my unpopular opinion that some cultures are just harmful and shouldn't be preserved.

agreed

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Yup. I agree. This is where i agree with Bill Maher about a lot of stuff that he gets yelled at for. Some cultures are just better than others if your goal is the general improvement and happiness of the human race. Religion, racism, etc., generally correlate negatively with the success of a culture.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Moral relativism makes sense to a degree but I feel like when you're at the female genital mutilation, hands chopped off for stealing point yeah your culture is pretty much unjustifiable poo poo overall

I know people are gonna come back with the US having executions and jailing minorities for decades because of dumb stuff and yes, I apply that to us as well

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

hands chopped off

Yeah Baudelaire was right about Belgian culture.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Aesop Poprock posted:

Moral relativism makes sense to a degree but I feel like when you're at the female genital mutilation, hands chopped off for stealing point yeah your culture is pretty much unjustifiable poo poo overall

I know people are gonna come back with the US having executions and jailing minorities for decades because of dumb stuff and yes, I apply that to us as well

No, I'm pretty sure American culture is also terrible.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah Baudelaire was right about Belgian culture.

Lol why the gently caress did that guy even live there for 3 years

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

No, I'm pretty sure American culture is also terrible.

That's what I literally said there

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

Lol why the gently caress did that guy even live there for 3 years

Close enough to mother to borrow money but far enough to not have to visit her is what I got from the letters. Also he seems to have been rather stupid.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Third wave feminism is bourgeoisie garbage.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Das Boo posted:

:agreed:

if we didn't think some ideas were just outright better than others we wouldn't have such heated political discussions over differences in social direction but there are appropriate times and places to express those sentiments imuo; i am all for someone, say, holding western values in the highest regard possible above all others and seeking to continue improving on those values by engaging with local politics or whatever but someone who teaches others about different cultures in an educational setting, for example, should probably keep their tone neutral and unjudgemental at a minimum and ultimately try to preserve the records of other cultures in an unbiased, factual manner - people will def make their own judgements anyway

Blue Star posted:

Jobs suck. We shouldnt have jobs. Nobody needs to be working at McDonalds. Let robots do all that poo poo, if they can.

as old jobs become increasingly automated why won't new kinds of jobs crop up? it's usually for our overall benefit that it does; as people peel off from old kinds of work to do new kinds it ultimately ~*expands*~ and ~*enriches*~ us and allows us to solve problems that were once beyond our reach because 80% of us are no longer needed to sustain food production or whatever and can work on other things - why not keep doing that

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
There are certainly only so many things we can spend time and resources on before it just feels like we're giving ourselves something to do. I'm not sure if recent/near future technology will really run us against that wall but at some point it's gonna happen.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Another thing from Bill Maher I took away, one of the guests said we have to "Speak to people where they are". Meaning that we have to talk to people in a way they understand otherwise we'll never get through to them.

My PHUO is that a lot of times you're just going to have to say gently caress them and move on. It isn't worth it to grind it out with someone that thinks Obama is a Muslim if after 8 years they still think so. We aren't goign to "get to where they are" they are just a racist idiot and deserving of every level of contempt we can muster.

Edit: While it can be nauseating at times to hear the "Hollywood Elite" get political during Oscars/Emmy's/Academy's, so loving what. They have a large platform and loud voice and they have an opportunity to perhaps effect some change. Its no different than a plumber or carpenter ranting about politics at the local coffee shop so chill the gently caress out. I guaran-drat-tee if these celebrities were gushing about Trump they'd have it front and center on Fox News every day instead of a collective eye roll since they happen to be progressive.

Jastiger has a new favorite as of 05:20 on Feb 27, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Spinning Robo posted:

There are certainly only so many things we can spend time and resources on before it just feels like we're giving ourselves something to do. I'm not sure if recent/near future technology will really run us against that wall but at some point it's gonna happen.

We could, you know, FUND ART

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
Even that can only go so far! What do you do when AI is able to write bestselling novels or create music indistinguishable from human made songs?