Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Fractal Audio Systems just announced that they're releasing the FM3, which looks like a smaller version of their AX8. If I didn't have a helix I'd be all over this:

https://www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/190423-Fractal-Audio-Announces-the-FM3-Amp-Modeler-MultiFX.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Dark Wind posted:

Fractal Audio Systems just announced that they're releasing the FM3, which looks like a smaller version of their AX8. If I didn't have a helix I'd be all over this:

https://www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/190423-Fractal-Audio-Announces-the-FM3-Amp-Modeler-MultiFX.pdf

I have no interest in modeling but drat that’s a solid piece of gear and the $999 tag is exactly where it should be. I have a feeling that’s going to be huge.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
I just aped whoever it was that bought the Schecter Reaper 7 earlier and oh my god multiscale is so good

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The Dark Wind posted:

Hnnngh if it was a couple years ago when I was buying a ton of gear I would snatch that thing up so fast. I am highly enjoying real tubes but the practicality of that thing would have me using it all the time.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Anime Reference posted:

Wasn't somebody here interested in single-coil 7-strings? Agile has their 7-string Tele back in stock: https://www.rondomusic.com/tc725mntbr2.html

That was me, and holy poo poo that's exactly what I was hoping for. Now to figure out what to sell so I can afford it.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

OutOfPrint posted:

That was me, and holy poo poo that's exactly what I was hoping for. Now to figure out what to sell so I can afford it.

Your blood plasma. It's the gift that keeps on giving guitars.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Silly question, not even sure it goes here but I've been learning Hotel California on an acoustic and I've got a version of the chords for the verses down*, but I can't find anything that sounds right for the chorus.

Playing:

F (welcome to the hotel calif) C (ornia), E with the middle note open lol sorry idk what that's really called (such a lovely place) Am (such a lovely place)

Sounds close enough but by god it sounds fuuuckin' awful transitioning back to the verses. Thoughts?

*for the verses I'm using:

barre on 2nd fret Am, same barre E, A, E, G, D, Em, barre'd on 2nd E

I think you're supposed to capo the whole thing on 1 but I'm just trying to learn stuff to play for my infant son who likes hearing guitar and singing at the same time so I'm not too crazy concerned about accuracy and whatnot.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Finally got the rest of my wall hooks bought and the room reorganized.

And a new guy:

I traded it for my Peavey Classic 30 II. That little JC has completely replaced it so I was in the mood for swapping it. Sticker wise I traded straight up by like 200 bucks so that’s nice, but this thing is a monster lmao. I didn’t realize how much I missed hot pups and a compound fretboard. Maple’s my favorite too.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Silly question, not even sure it goes here but I've been learning Hotel California on an acoustic and I've got a version of the chords for the verses down*, but I can't find anything that sounds right for the chorus.

Playing:

F (welcome to the hotel calif) C (ornia), E with the middle note open lol sorry idk what that's really called (such a lovely place) Am (such a lovely place)

Sounds close enough but by god it sounds fuuuckin' awful transitioning back to the verses. Thoughts?

*for the verses I'm using:

barre on 2nd fret Am, same barre E, A, E, G, D, Em, barre'd on 2nd E

I think you're supposed to capo the whole thing on 1 but I'm just trying to learn stuff to play for my infant son who likes hearing guitar and singing at the same time so I'm not too crazy concerned about accuracy and whatnot.

you have the verse right, assuming:
"barre on 2nd fret Am" = Bm
"barre'd on 2nd E" = F#

verse is:
Bm F#7 A E G D Em F#

chorus is:
G D F#7 Bm G Em F#

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Finally got the rest of my wall hooks bought and the room reorganized.

And a new guy:

I traded it for my Peavey Classic 30 II. That little JC has completely replaced it so I was in the mood for swapping it. Sticker wise I traded straight up by like 200 bucks so that’s nice, but this thing is a monster lmao. I didn’t realize how much I missed hot pups and a compound fretboard. Maple’s my favorite too.

Mmmm I want one of those for B standard. Such good guitars

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Gnumonic posted:

So thanks for the replies everyone.

Sweetwater had a Yamaha SLG200N demo (and I had a gift card leftover from the holidays) so I'll see how I gel with that once it gets here. Sounded pretty good in some of the videos I saw at least, and I bet if I run it through the right room IR it'll be good. But if it isn't I can just return it for a Cordoba.

I'm initially just trying to learn basic classical guitar technique. I'll probably start learning jazz eventually, but honestly one of my main motivations is that my wrists just loving HURT if I do my neoclassical shred technique routine two days in a row and I'd like to explore playing without a pick. (I don't like the way steel string acoustics sound.)

whats happening with this

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Thank you!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Helianthus Annuus posted:

you have the verse right, assuming:
"barre on 2nd fret Am" = Bm
"barre'd on 2nd E" = F#

verse is:
Bm F#7 A E G D Em F#

chorus is:
G D F#7 Bm G Em F#

Yeah just from looking at a tab online (that sounds right to me anyway) those are basically the chords, the chorus uses the same chords as the verse, it just leans on the happy G instead of the angsty Bm. Except isn't there a D in the second part of the chorus?
G -> D -> F#7 -> Bm
G -> D -> Em -> F#7 (leading into -> Bm)
I'd probably leave all the F#s as F#7s though to keep things simple

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Playing:

(it's confusing to talk about relative capoed chords so we're just saying the names of what you're playing, they'd match what you're doing if you had a capo on the 2nd fret though)

You've got the first bit of the chorus right, it's just it goes around again and the chords are slightly different the second time. Like what's basically happening is each bit of the chorus goes G -> D and that's all anthemic and naaaa naaa, then it goes moody. The second chorus part does its moody bit by walking up D -> E -> F, which has a really strong feel of going somewhere, and that F#7 chord you end up on really wants to pull back to the Bm that the verse starts on. So the chorus -> verse transition should sound really solid just because it's basically walking the listener up to the edge and pushing them off. See how it goes!

also you don't need a capo to play that in its normal key, if you're already doing barres may as well just play it normally. F#7 is that shape you didn't know the name of, 242322 (or 020100 is what you were playing, which is E7)

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

baka kaba posted:

G -> D -> F#7 -> Bm
G -> D -> Em -> F#7 (leading into -> Bm)

you're right, i left out a d chord

mea culpa

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

gently caress yeah, Marty Friedman and The Captain just popped up on YT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KLfKvVqVgM

The intro tune is awesome. Sounds like I'd imagine Jason Becker would if he could play still.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Thaaaanks, that song about exhausts my ability to remember and competently play chords (i.e. I have all the open chords down and can add like 3-4 weird ones per song if they aren't really out there) so if anyone has suggestions for fun and good stuff to play for a baby that's about at that level I'd love to hear it. I've been trying to learn some Tom Petty for him.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Thaaaanks, that song about exhausts my ability to remember and competently play chords (i.e. I have all the open chords down and can add like 3-4 weird ones per song if they aren't really out there) so if anyone has suggestions for fun and good stuff to play for a baby that's about at that level I'd love to hear it. I've been trying to learn some Tom Petty for him.

Raffi's Down by the Bay gets my little ones laughing because they get to make up rhymes. Check out a youtube video of him playing it.

G->D7->G->C->G

The challenge for me is to avoid making up a vulgar rhyme off the cuff when it's my turn.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

whats happening with this

I keep loving up my nails, so I'm having a lot of trouble practicing! If you don't mind me playing with a pick I can bang something out for an audio sample though, just lemme know.

I need to ask one of my female friends for help but I'm embarrassed to do so -_- It's like I feel like I'm making some progress on the classical, then it's time to do my nails, and oops I ruined I or M on my picking hand.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

gently caress yeah, Marty Friedman and The Captain just popped up on YT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KLfKvVqVgM

The intro tune is awesome. Sounds like I'd imagine Jason Becker would if he could play still.

That is legit. Am I the only one who fins Marty solos to be basically the hardest that there are? His playing style (not just his technique, everything about the way he plays) is so loving unique and weird and not-at-all-what-I'd-play.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

former glory posted:

Raffi's Down by the Bay gets my little ones laughing because they get to make up rhymes. Check out a youtube video of him playing it.

G->D7->G->C->G

The challenge for me is to avoid making up a vulgar rhyme off the cuff when it's my turn.

Nice, thank you

Also I always say "warm smell of fajitas" and "when you're out of ice" when playing hotel california because it makes the wife laugh and those are much better lyrics anyway.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Intel&Sebastian posted:

honestly there's only two non-open chords in there (the Bm and the F#7), and you can play them with barres, so really you just need to learn the basic barre shapes (the A/Am shapes and the E/Em shapes) and then learn how to find notes on the bottom 2 strings so you can move those shapes to the right place, and then you can bang out any song pretty much.

Plus there are little 'tricks' to those shapes so there's less to learn - the difference between a major and minor shape is moving one note down a fret, so once you know where that note is in the shape, that's yr major/minor toggle. Same goes for 7th chords - one of the notes needs to go down 2 frets (which in these barre chords means lifting a finger off so you get the barred note instead). Once you see it it cuts down on the brainpower a lot

honestly you can break down a lot of songs into a basic chord progression, you can substitute the real voicings for a simple chord that basically does the job, which is fine if you're singing too. What kind of stuff do you want to play? Are you avoiding Songs For Babby?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am a pure beginner once again with guitar and following JustinGuitar - I just want to confirm something:

Is the Dm one of the hardest things in the world to switch too? Ugh, I feel like i've hit a pure road block with it. Trying to do switches is like, the slowest thing in the world. :(

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

No that's a clean F7 sorry.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Vintersorg posted:

I am a pure beginner once again with guitar and following JustinGuitar - I just want to confirm something:

Is the Dm one of the hardest things in the world to switch too? Ugh, I feel like i've hit a pure road block with it. Trying to do switches is like, the slowest thing in the world. :(

The xx0231 chord? It depends on what you're switching from, but once you get used to it you probly won't find it too bad, maybe it just feels like you're trying your fingers in a knot?

Personally I tend to put down a Dsus2 first (xx0230, it's like my home chord :shobon:) with my 2nd and 3rd fingers, and add the top string note with my 1st finger. It happens quickly but it becomes more natural over time

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

baka kaba posted:

honestly you can break down a lot of songs into a basic chord progression, you can substitute the real voicings for a simple chord that basically does the job, which is fine if you're singing too. What kind of stuff do you want to play? Are you avoiding Songs For Babby?

Yeah sort of, I'll give him the melody for the ABC's but other than that he just wants to hear songs so I figure why not learn some good classic rock stuff at the same time. Right now I'm trying to get some Beach Boys songs down.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Elvis, Johnny Cash and the Rolling Stones all have a bunch of songs that are a basic 12-bar blues or something equally straightforward.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Just keep doing your 1 minute changes from various other chords to Dm and you'll find it ain't no thang but a chicken wang in no time. I found that one a little awkward, but it's fine now. Changing to it from G, Am or F is a good way to force you to address the difficulty head on. You'll crack it; I've pushed past things I thought were physically impossible for my hands only to look back and wonder what the fuss was about. Just remember the times when you've done the same.

I've been struggling getting open C7 and B7 changes down smoothly. When I first learnt them months ago, I just put them aside to work on other things, but now I'm playing songs with them and it's time to sort it out. Been working those for a couple of weeks now and I'm almost smooth with them.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
One of the first songs I learned on guitar was "Rumble" and that B7 definitely took a bit to get under my fingers.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Gnumonic posted:

I keep loving up my nails, so I'm having a lot of trouble practicing! If you don't mind me playing with a pick I can bang something out for an audio sample though, just lemme know.

I need to ask one of my female friends for help but I'm embarrassed to do so -_- It's like I feel like I'm making some progress on the classical, then it's time to do my nails, and oops I ruined I or M on my picking hand.

ya you can use a pick, im happy to listen to your playing with or without a pick

but keep trying w/ the nails, i know you're tryin to get that counterpunctal poo poo goin. you might try to get in for a guitar lesson with someone who plays classical, and solicit his or her help with the nails

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah sort of, I'll give him the melody for the ABC's but other than that he just wants to hear songs so I figure why not learn some good classic rock stuff at the same time. Right now I'm trying to get some Beach Boys songs down.

if you can get those F# and Bm barre chords sounding good, then I bet you could play a cowboy version of any song out there. its a real good place to be as a guitarist

for me, it's 100x faster to search for "${SONG_NAME} chords" instead of "${SONG_NAME} tabs"

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Vintersorg posted:

it becomes really easy with enough practice. keep going, it gets better

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Hell naw don't be embarrassed about asking someone about nail care, you can make it fun if you go "hey this might sound weird but..." and don't immediately say why you need it. But you need to take care of them and keep them strong and in good condition, why not take it to someone who knows about handling that? Hell they'll probably be happy you're coming to them for practical advice, right?

Or if it really bothers you, watch some youtubes. If nothing else you'll get an appreciation for the work people put in, it's good

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

if you can get those F# and Bm barre chords sounding good, then I bet you could play a cowboy version of any song out there. its a real good place to be as a guitarist

Yeah, feels good man

I had a few electric guitars a while ago that either got sold off, lost or fell into disrepair and I just recently bought an Ovation Celebrity CC44 and started to look up songs that same way and I'm like....huh, you really don't need too much under your belt to play like 75% of these. I'm downright embarrassed that I never looked up the Beach Boys version of Sloop John B before and realized how simple it is.

Someday I will re-buy a Mexican strat and a fuzzy distortion pedal to rock out on but having an acoustic with a tuner built in is super good for dad-mode guitaring.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
my main jam buddy has one, and its a delight to play. very comfortable and it stays in tune well.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I like coming across a guitar cover video that makes me think "oh yeah this should be good" because I want to see how a certain song is played or whatever. Often if the camera quality looks ok in the thumbnail then I bet the guitar tone will be fine. But holy gently caress lmao this dude seems to have put a lovely logitech headset in front of a solid state crate or something because this is complete poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4FtpEt_DJI

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

But holy gently caress lmao this dude seems to have put a lovely logitech headset in front of a solid state crate or something because this is complete poo poo

Hey I think that's how Left Hand Path was recorded!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Gnumonic posted:

Hey I think that's how Left Hand Path was recorded!

It was a 8track in front of a peavy bandit iirc

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Spanish Manlove posted:

I like coming across a guitar cover video that makes me think "oh yeah this should be good" because I want to see how a certain song is played or whatever. Often if the camera quality looks ok in the thumbnail then I bet the guitar tone will be fine. But holy gently caress lmao this dude seems to have put a lovely logitech headset in front of a solid state crate or something because this is complete poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4FtpEt_DJI

I’m not hearing anything wrong with that tone :shrug:

It’s not my ideal sound or anything but doesn’t sound noticeably bad or weird to me

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m not hearing anything wrong with that tone :shrug:

It’s not my ideal sound or anything but doesn’t sound noticeably bad or weird to me

Its just really boomy and scooped without a lot of presence. Sounds like a hollow, soggy cardboard box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think that's just his """"tone""""