Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

wattershed posted:

Hey let's talk about breweries that aren't run by curmudgeonly mountain cranks!

Finally made it to one of San Diego County's better non-distro breweries, Rip Current. Well, their tap room/restaurant. Quick version - food was great, space was airy/bright/open, bartenders were friendly/attentive. Locals should go.

They have a vanilla Baltic porter that's like Victory At Sea but less coffee and more vanilla. This could be an epic beer that beer nerds would cream over if it were BA or 12% instead of 10. They also do a barleywine that's more like an American quad that's heavily hopped than a regular barleywine. I'm working through a growler of it now and as it warms it's becoming very nuanced.

So, in conclusion, Pat = lame-o, Rip Current = a local gem we'll be able to hold onto for a few more months all to ourselves until they start bottling in the spring.

Rip Current is good, Toolbox is better and I'm pretty interested in trying out North Park's stuff when they finally open. Council is also doing some great work with fruited saisons even though their BA stout release was a real disappointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I have a face to face trade coming up with someone from Chicago coming into Dallas and need some advice from Transient members! The only thing I've tried was Wild Turkey Betise back at fobab and definitely enjoyed it.

What's your opinion about these beers:

Wayward (brett pale ale)
Peur (brett farmhouse ale)
Red Wine Obelus (saison)
Presque (Wine BA sour red)

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Mahoning posted:

You're another idiot that I'm glad doesn't own a business. I can't believe you think that it's ok for any adult to act like that to any other adult, let alone a business owner to a customer.

yeah, what the hell? if that were my employee, i would fire them, and if that were my boss... i'd be loving embarrassed

let's say you come into my shipping store with a $500 piece of stereo equipment that you've already packed. we tell you that the carrier may not honor any damage claim because we do not feel the item is packed to their standards. you decline to pay the additional amount for us to pack it and go ahead with shipping it off. when it arrives, the item is clearly damaged, so the recipient refuses it and it comes back to my store. when you come to get it and ask about the possibility of filing a claim, what do i do? point at you, laugh, and then get the attention of everyone in the store so i can mock you for not being able to pack well and thinking you might be able to get some money back? do i follow that up with something along the lines of, "don't let the door hit your rear end on the way out" while high-fiving a coworker?

as for actual beer, Strangeways continues to be completely unimpressive. i've become immune from any excitement in regards to their beer, but some out-of-town friends wanted to check it out, so i ordered the Oscillate Wildly- a 10% "blueberry wild sour ale"- which honestly just tasted like a stout that got infected. oh, and the glass was $10, shame on me. they've got money, branding, huge ambition, and homers to inflate their BA ratings (seriously, compare BA and RB), but i guess they just don't have a brewer who can pull it off.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

funkybottoms posted:

\as for actual beer, Strangeways continues to be completely unimpressive.

Hey I'll be home in Bend today and will be opening up that crowler of...er whatever I got from them!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Hey I'll be home in Bend today and will be opening up that crowler of...er whatever I got from them!

pretty sure you got the Virginia Stingo, which is the one we both liked and is one of their best beers. it was either that or That's My Jam, one of the other three or four beers of theirs i've actually enjoyed.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

air- posted:

I have a face to face trade coming up with someone from Chicago coming into Dallas and need some advice from Transient members! The only thing I've tried was Wild Turkey Betise back at fobab and definitely enjoyed it.

Wayward (brett pale ale)
Red Wine Obelus (saison)

Wayward is an excellent brett pale. Really good. I liked it more than Peur, but it's still "just" a pale with brett. Wine Presque is the most sour thing he's put out and was my least favorite of that beer (it's too bad the dude isn't offering the Apple Brandy variation which was one of the 3 best beers I had all last year), but it's still worth trying. All of the Obeluses (Obelii?) are nice.

You really can't go wrong with any but if I had to pick one, it'd be the Obelus.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

It would have been so easy for the jerk at Alpine to just say, "No, sorry. It's against the rules."

So easy

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

LeafHouse posted:

It would have been so easy for the jerk at Alpine to just say, "No, sorry. It's against the rules."

So easy

Yeah I don't think anyone is particularly mad about the policy (even though it's likely illegal and unenforceable) it's the absolute shitheadedness of the response. Stick to brewing, don't answer email if you're a socially maladjusted prick.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

air- posted:

Wayward (brett pale ale)
Red Wine Obelus (saison)

The first three are good. The fourth I've not had. Peur and Obelus variants were a bit young on release but they may be coming into their own now. I think I'll open my next Peur in April or so.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

danbanana posted:

I kinda bitched out the dude who writes Deadspin's beer column because of the title of this column. He agreed with my complaints, and half-apologized for the click-bait title.

But while I agree that beer nerds are totally into fruit beers now when that was somewhat sacrilege a decade ago, I think it has more to do with the quality of those beers as it does their ingredients. Fruit beer (non-lambic) was the haven of bad attempts by the macros and smaller brewers alike to appeal to women (because women don't like beer, amirite?!) and people who liked sweet drinks. I mean, outside of New Glarus, I can't think of another brewery who was doing a fruited beer in the early 2000s that wasn't awful.

Belgium, for like, a hundred years or more?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

^^^ context is within US for that line of discussion

Thanks crazyfish, dan - I'll go with the Obelus!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

air- posted:

Thanks crazyfish, dan - I'll go with the Obelus!

Late, but that is the correct choice.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Oh great , I wake up and find out Alpine is the Chick-fil-a of the beer world. It's a bitter pill to swallow.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Lt_Tofu posted:

Oh great , I wake up and find out Alpine is the Chick-fil-a of the beer world. It's a bitter pill to swallow.

More like the Comcast of the beer world. Chick-Fil-A has amazing customer service.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Mahoning posted:

More like the Comcast of the beer world. Chick-Fil-A has amazing customer service.

yeah, those people are aggressively polite. at least they were; i haven't given them my business since it came out that they hate gay people. you know, like i probably wouldn't give Alpine my business if i were local to them.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Mahoning posted:

Well, it's more of I can't stop myself from buying Nelson/chicken biscuits even though the the owners are assholes.

Unrelated but more interesting, went to the new Ballast point brewery last night and had the R&D beer Steaks on a Plane. Smoked wheat with thyme and peppercorns. Nice beer with savory/meaty flavor. Also they had three Victory at Sea varieties on tap! Really hoping they have those available more often now.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

Furious Lobster posted:

Rip Current is good, Toolbox is better and I'm pretty interested in trying out North Park's stuff when they finally open. Council is also doing some great work with fruited saisons even though their BA stout release was a real disappointment.

I've never been impressed with Council when I went to the brewery or have tried their beer elsewhere. Maybe it's just batch variations, but everything has been less than impressive. Rip Current and Toolbox are great though, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what Toolbox is producing with a little more time.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Oh in that case, I better make that craft beer tinder app.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

A mule job just isn't the same if it isn't a group.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

air- posted:

Oh in that case, I better make that craft beer tinder app.

i know people have been busting out "i hate beer" for a while now, but there you go, i officially hate beer.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I don't hate beer, I hate nerds.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Spanish Manlove posted:

I don't hate beer, I hate nerds.

:goonsay:

No but really, burn it all and start over. I love this Armagnac; want to see my glassware?

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Almanac is pretty cool. They asked for people with infected Heirloom Pumpkin bottles to email them and they would "make it right", so I sent them an email and they eventually gave me a box with some coasters, stickers, a fancy "doesn't bend the cap" bottle opener, and a free bottle of Devil's Advocate! I didn't have the heart to tell them about Tequila Noir because I know they sent out like a million of those boxes.

Also I consumed an On The Wings Of Armageddon last night and it was really tasty. Falconer's Flight "single hop" (that's a blend, right?) that had a sweet fruity/watermelon kind of taste with a good amount of bitterness to balance it out. A little hot on the alcohol but whatever.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

krustster posted:

Also I consumed an On The Wings Of Armageddon last night and it was really tasty. Falconer's Flight "single hop" (that's a blend, right?) that had a sweet fruity/watermelon kind of taste with a good amount of bitterness to balance it out. A little hot on the alcohol but whatever.

:agreed: and it's a yummy one

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/falconers-flight-hop-pellets.html

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
So I'm an idiot and didn't realize that I couldn't bring beer as a carry on and I didn't have the material to pack them to a level of safety that I felt comfortable with. So I hope whoever drinks the beer appreciates LA Terroir, the New Belgium Salted Stout and Ninja vs Unicorn!

Time to drown my sorrows in an Anti-Hero at the airport before I leave.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Midorka posted:

So I'm an idiot and didn't realize that I couldn't bring beer as a carry on and I didn't have the material to pack them to a level of safety that I felt comfortable with. So I hope whoever drinks the beer appreciates LA Terroir, the New Belgium Salted Stout and Ninja vs Unicorn!

Uuugh that is a bummer. Let me know if you're ever craving some Chicago stuff and I can send some out.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Midorka posted:

Should of tailgated the security line.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Furious Lobster posted:

Toolbox is just far enough away AND not open during the day on weekdays that I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to get up there. It's #1 on my list of new spots to hit though, and every review I've read so far is some variation of "they're already SO GOOD."

Heard solid things about 32 North as well, fewer positive things about Fall Brewing, and zero positive things about Bolt Brewery, the latter of which is geographically the closest brewery to my house and of course is apparently warm trash so far.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
WHAT.

I don't wish I lived in the city much anymore (gently caress traffic) but this makes me jealous...

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Finally opened the Hipster Nouveau that Retemnav sent in the last BIF (I waited per his "it's young" description). The label says it's brett saison with rhubarb but it probably should say it's a brett saison with extra loving brett. Sweet smelling but super dry, big horsey flavor. I don't get any of the fruit but maybe that's my fault for waiting. The end result isn't far off from a not-quite-fresh Saison Brett, which is not a bad thing at all for a beer to be.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

I have yet to buy a single bottle of beer in 2015 but DAMMIT.

https://twitter.com/sheltonbrosmo/status/561643566733475841

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

air- posted:

I have yet to buy a single bottle of beer in 2015 but DAMMIT.

https://twitter.com/sheltonbrosmo/status/561643566733475841

I just saw Prairie in my local shop in Chicago. I'm tingling with excitement that it's finally back.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Midorka posted:

You fool, just wrap them in your clothes!! :argh: or are you saying you did not have a checked bag that you could put them in?

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I was just at my local bar and they had the Mikkeller Raspberry Tripplebock and drat is that some good stuff. It's 13% and if you had a few not realizing it you could get in to trouble fast, it doesn't taste that boozy to me, just loving delicious.

I also tried the Lost Abbey Judgement Day and wasn't a big fan, I don't think the raisins work the way they intended it to, it was ok but I don't think I would order it again.

I wish we could get Founders stuff around here, I have heard nothing but good things but they just don't distribute here, California just doesn't get a lot of the really good Midwest/Southern state beers. Maybe they do in SF but I go there once or twice a year. I am going there in March, maybe I will find somewhere that has it.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Labatt Bourbon Barrel Ale is the most unpleasant thing I've tasted in a long time.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

krustster posted:

You fool, just wrap them in your clothes!! :argh: or are you saying you did not have a checked bag that you could put them in?

Sorry but $200+ worth of clothes wasn't worth $40 of beer =P

And no I didn't bring an extra bag.

Lt_Tofu posted:

Should of tailgated the security line.

I definitely should have! They sort of suggested it, but I don't know if it was serious.

ChiTownEddie posted:

Uuugh that is a bummer. Let me know if you're ever craving some Chicago stuff and I can send some out.

Will do!

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

Midorka posted:

Sorry but $200+ worth of clothes wasn't worth $40 of beer =P

I wrapped up a couple bottles of Pliny in my suit pants once before stuffing them into a checked bag.

Totally worth it.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Midorka posted:

Sorry that sucks, but have you never flown on an airplane before?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

WHAT.

I don't wish I lived in the city much anymore (gently caress traffic) but this makes me jealous...

Kuma's Corner delivers to me now. World has ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Munkaboo posted:

Sorry that sucks, but have you never flown on an airplane before?

Not in 7 years, I as 20.