Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Can you get a third strawberry harvest in the first year? I never thought to try that.

I usually save my speed gro to let me plant cranberries on the second day of fall and still get the same number of harvests as planting on the first day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

LLSix posted:

Can you get a third strawberry harvest in the first year? I never thought to try that.

I usually save my speed gro to let me plant cranberries on the second day of fall and still get the same number of harvests as planting on the first day.

you would have to use speed-gro on planting day (the day you buy them) for a 3rd harvest IIRC and that might be an obstacle in the first year, i dont even think you can buy speedgro from pierres until like late spring, basically unless you get speed gro through other means i can't think of you probably can't get a 3rd harvest in Y1

Sloober fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 15, 2024

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You can craft speed-gro yourself at farming level 3, but the recipe requires pine tar, for which you'd have to craft and place the tappers (requires foraging level 4) by day 8 at the latest.

It might be technically possible, but it's absolutely not worth that level of effort.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You can craft speed-gro yourself at farming level 3, but the recipe requires pine tar, for which you'd have to craft and place the tappers (requires foraging level 4) by day 8 at the latest.

It might be technically possible, but it's absolutely not worth that level of effort.

yeah and that also requires mining for copper to get the materials for taps, so i just put it under virtually impossible given just basic things like stamina and time requirements for it on top of the skill requirement

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
you get 20 speed-gro from the community center bundle for spring crops.

so you plant a single cauliflower seed day 1 and hope the crows don't get it before you get a scarecrow or repeat day 1 getting and planting mixed seeds for multiple potential cauliflowers. You can plant a green bean on day 2 if you don't have the money day 1 and still get the maximum amount of harvests+get one for the community center in time. On spring 13, you harvest the cauliflower and set up 20 spots w/water for your strawberry seeds. Go to the festival, buy your strawberry seeds, do the egg hunt, etc, leave. Go back to town, go to the community center, collect the speed-gro from the bundle, return to the farm, throw down your speed-gro and your strawberry seeds (or plant your seeds and then apply speed-gro after).

Twice in a row I repeated spring because a bug where rainy days did not count as watering my multi-harvest crops, though I haven't seed anyone else have this issue.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My copy of the stardew valley cookbook came in! It's delightful

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

That sounds like a lot of work. I think I will stick to just 2 strawberry crops. Interesting that it is possible, though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Grundulum posted:

The first paragraph is not exactly true. The wiki states you can add fertilizer to already-planted crops. The question is whether the Speed-Gro would have an effect on crops already in the ground, and whether that effect gets scaled by how long the plants have been in the ground already.

I don’t understand how strawberries are a trap. They get you two harvests (maybe 3) in the first spring, for 36-54 XP in 15 days for 2.4-3.6 XP/day. Kale with Speed-Gro is 17*5=85 XP in 24 days, which is 3.5 XP/day. If you can get Speed-Gro to be effective in knocking a day off grow time, the strawberries do win out on XP. Underscoring my original question.

It's a very narrow edge on XP, and that's not accounting for the cost of the Speed-Gro.

I mean obviously this only ever matters if you're challenging yourself in some speed/cash-related way. Otherwise just plant whatever you think looks nice it doesn't matter.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

LLSix posted:

That sounds like a lot of work. I think I will stick to just 2 strawberry crops. Interesting that it is possible, though.

it's not that hard if you've played a lot (i have likely matched all the proper timelines to do it multiple times), but yeah, you can honestly skip strawberries unless you're really dedicated to a bit in your first year and just get the minimum 15 ship achievement requirement amount in spring 2. honestly forgot entirely about the speed gro reward for spring crop bundle. i dont think i've ever considered a crop based on xp tbqh, altho one reason i like getting an early coop + 4 chickens is its a constant source of daily farm xp since i try to get quality sprinklers by early summer b/c i hate watering

mixed seeds play a lot in my first season play since you get some by just going about your business chopping shrubs out of the way, and also i abandon all pretense of having neat monocrop rows until year 2

Sloober fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 15, 2024

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

So far I have had to google two things added at the new release the Far Away Stone and one related to Ginger Island and in both cases I reacted, "I would never have connected that in a million years". They were a bit more like Adventure than like Stardew Valley and its ancestors. SAY HELLO SAILOR.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
step away from the thread (to play sdv, of course) and miss the whole pearl secret note thing. I had no idea it could be interpreted two ways like that.

so, something I've wondered is how people approach farm planning in co-op vs single player: do you do it differently? When I'm playing alone I've got infinite pause, I can prep for a day on my own time, even start a day and lay out a grid for crops and restart if I wanted to or whatever. In co-op it just feels like we have the broad goal of 'let's plant some blueberries, a lot of em' and we just buy a lot of blueberries and plant them. It's not like my first SP runs where it was "I have exactly 244 sprinklered tiles and need exactly 19520 gold to buy these on Summer 1 and therefore...." I think in part that's because of the inherent money/time/energy advantages of co-op meaning that level of hyper-optimization isn't needed so I just don't. Anyone else noticed a difference in how they approach single vs co-op?

basically co-op is vibes based gameplay for me and I like that

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Your co-op experience is how I play single player. I don't think I've mapped anything out more complex than "put gold quality cauliflowers in a chest because there's a bundle that takes five of them" level stuff. On year 1 I just spend all my money on crops at the start of each season, and by year 2 I've squirreled away enough produce that I can make my own seeds and don't have to give Pierre money.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
oh sure, I know people approach sdv in a wide variety of ways. I know you can totally do SP the way i do co-op and vice versa. I'm just curious if people have noticed a difference if they've played both types, whatever that difference may be.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

LLSix posted:

My question, which I never saw an answer for, was whether you could (1) buy/plant Strawberry Seeds on Spring 13 (the Egg Festival), (2) place Speed-Gro on Spring 15-19 (whenever you buy them from Pierre or complete the spring crop bundle) and (3) still get the 1-day reduction in grow time from Spring 21 to Spring 20. Having up to six days to place Speed-Gro is not a lot of work; but if the grow time reduction decreases as the plants spend more time in the ground, then it may not be possible to get three harvests in the spring of year 1.

I’ve even checked the source code someone put on GitHub, but I was unable to parse it without putting a lot more effort than I wanted to spend. I think the only way to find out for sure is to back up my save right before the Egg Festival, just water/sleep until I have an answer, and then restore the backup and play with that knowledge in mind. Unless Lookup Anything would tell me when a crop is due to finish; the mod is installed, but since I play with a controller I never use that functionality.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Cranappleberry posted:

you get 20 speed-gro from the community center bundle for spring crops.

so you plant a single cauliflower seed day 1 and hope the crows don't get it before you get a scarecrow or repeat day 1 getting and planting mixed seeds for multiple potential cauliflowers. You can plant a green bean on day 2 if you don't have the money day 1 and still get the maximum amount of harvests+get one for the community center in time. On spring 13, you harvest the cauliflower and set up 20 spots w/water for your strawberry seeds. Go to the festival, buy your strawberry seeds, do the egg hunt, etc, leave. Go back to town, go to the community center, collect the speed-gro from the bundle, return to the farm, throw down your speed-gro and your strawberry seeds (or plant your seeds and then apply speed-gro after).

Twice in a row I repeated spring because a bug where rainy days did not count as watering my multi-harvest crops, though I haven't seed anyone else have this issue.

Just an FYI crows won't appear until you plant 16 crops (and an additional crow for every 16, up to 4 crows a day) so if you hoe 15 spots and only 15 you don't need to worry about scarecrows. I usually hoe 15 spots, buy 1 green bean day 1, keep planting wild seeds until you get a potato and a cauliflower (each plant seed looks different planted so keep planting until you get 3 different looking seeds) and then fill the rest of the spots with freebie turnips. By the time all that grows you will level up enough to build scarecrows for your second set of crops and you'll have the bundle done in time for the festival. 20 strawberry seeds to take advantage of the free speed gro isn't much of a burden to a young farmer.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

MacheteZombie posted:

My copy of the stardew valley cookbook came in! It's delightful

Mine just came in! Can't wait to cook something from it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Sunday Morning posted:

Just an FYI crows won't appear until you plant 16 crops (and an additional crow for every 16, up to 4 crows a day) so if you hoe 15 spots and only 15 you don't need to worry about scarecrows. I usually hoe 15 spots, buy 1 green bean day 1, keep planting wild seeds until you get a potato and a cauliflower (each plant seed looks different planted so keep planting until you get 3 different looking seeds) and then fill the rest of the spots with freebie turnips. By the time all that grows you will level up enough to build scarecrows for your second set of crops and you'll have the bundle done in time for the festival. 20 strawberry seeds to take advantage of the free speed gro isn't much of a burden to a young farmer.

Interesting tip.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

Mine just came in! Can't wait to cook something from it.

My wife immediately requested the chocolate cake for her birthday in August, the picture of it is amazing haha.

I might try to do the survival burger next week

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sunday Morning posted:

Had no idea, this is super useful!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

My wife immediately requested the chocolate cake for her birthday in August, the picture of it is amazing haha.

I might try to do the survival burger next week

I'm thinkin' I'll try the tropical curry, myself.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Please post pics and trip reports if you cook things from the SDV cookbook!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Not to be Haley-coded but what do they put in the Pink Cake because I'll be honest the concept of Melon cake does not sound appetizing to me.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Man if they can make zucchini bread and spinach cake taste good, I have every confidence in melon

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Not to be Haley-coded but what do they put in the Pink Cake because I'll be honest the concept of Melon cake does not sound appetizing to me.

For the pink cake you make a strawberry watermelon jam, a buttermilk cake, and strawberry cream cheese frosting

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

TurnipFritter posted:

The frosting contains strawberry and watermelon jam and a strawberry cream cheese frosting base.

Otherwise it's a buttermilk cake made with duck eggs.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Man if they can make zucchini bread and spinach cake taste good, I have every confidence in melon

melon is one of my favorite flavors in things tbqh

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

The frosting contains strawberry and watermelon jam and a strawberry cream cheese frosting base.

Otherwise it's a buttermilk cake made with duck eggs.

Oh yeah forgot the duck eggs. Gunna have to go to a specialty market for those

E:
Void mayo is a black garlic and mayo sauce.
And the seafoam pudding wants squid ink

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 15, 2024

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

MacheteZombie posted:

Void mayo is a black garlic and mayo sauce.

Impossible. Everyone hates it.

It's concentrated evil with the consistency of mayo. I know that's just a description of normal mayo, but this stuff is also black and smells like burnt hair.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
mayo is just eggs, oil, lemon (or similar) juice plus salt and mustard to taste. it's fine

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Mayonnaise Defender has logged on.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
yep, fight me

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
This is how the Stardew thread schisms. Everyone, pick your side.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

NO

no :mad:

behave

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
mayo is mostly eggs and just like gaston if i eat enough ill be roughly the size of a barge. logic says the strength gain should be proportional as well. this fight is mine!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Typical mods. Protecting Mayo.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

one fights like Gaston...

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Homemade (preferably by a farmer in a good hat) mayo is the bomb.

I just figured out a thing that's been frustrating me. When somebody says "Meet me at X at 4PM" or a secret note says "Be at place Y at 1:50AM", do not show up early. You have to cross *in* to the area at the appropriate time to trigger the cut scene. If you're just sitting there, nothing happens.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Leal posted:

one fights farms like Gaston...

:colbert:

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Hey, the elemental wars are over. For the good of the town you all need to stop fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I went to the desert festival for the first time. I'm not sure what I was expecting but I guess it was that. Spent 100 on a large strawberry sign I put up on the wall inside my winery/shed.

Is there a way to stop the game from spawning weeds on the island spot? Speaking of the island I wish I could get a parrot pet. :(