Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I guess I like being the spy in Spyfall.

Yes it counts, I am literally the spy 80% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Winson_Paine posted:

I am the only person on earth who really digs on being Overlord, apparently.

I endlessly thirst for the blood of adventurers so Overlord is totally my gig.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Overlord in Level 7 Omega Protocol is great fun

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Basically, being the Enemy player is great if the game lets you, y'know, actually play the game.

A competitive Overlord in Descent can easily shatter the game balance, particularly with the base campaign. And a competitive Keeper in Mansions of Madness is basically a complete joke.

But Fury of Dracula, Tragedy Looper, Letters from Whitechapel et al expect (if not demand) that Dracula/Mastermind/Jack/etc fight like a bastard to win. And even Imperial Assault is better at balancing the Imperial player against the rebels, even if some specific missions are rather cheeseable. (Seriously, gently caress the mission to rescue Han. Absolutely gently caress it.)

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Thanks for the Viticulture thoughts. I might pick it up... except just now I stopped by another FLGS and they had a copy of Food Chain Magnate for $100. I carried it around for a bit but ultimately put it back down and left. Have I made a terrible mistake?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Radioactive Toy posted:

Thanks for the Viticulture thoughts. I might pick it up... except just now I stopped by another FLGS and they had a copy of Food Chain Magnate for $100. I carried it around for a bit but ultimately put it back down and left. Have I made a terrible mistake?

Yes. Yes you did.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Gutter Owl posted:

Basically, being the Enemy player is great if the game lets you, y'know, actually play the game.

A competitive Overlord in Descent can easily shatter the game balance, particularly with the base campaign. And a competitive Keeper in Mansions of Madness is basically a complete joke.

But Fury of Dracula, Tragedy Looper, Letters from Whitechapel et al expect (if not demand) that Dracula/Mastermind/Jack/etc fight like a bastard to win. And even Imperial Assault is better at balancing the Imperial player against the rebels, even if some specific missions are rather cheeseable. (Seriously, gently caress the mission to rescue Han. Absolutely gently caress it.)

Imbalance between sides is definitely an issue, but I don't mind that as much. I'm more than happy to run the investigators ragged in Mansions. It feels appropriate. What ruins the Overlord in Descent for me is that they're effectively playing a different game that's nowhere near as satisfying. For me, Descent should be a game of fantasy hack and slash fighting and continually escalating, customizable powers. You get that as the heroes, but the Overlord is heavily incentivized to avoid combat except to stall while pursuing usually unrelated objectives and your incremental power gains are adding extremely situational cards to a deck that's randomized every scenario, giving one artifact to one lieutenant IF there is one in the scenario, and a mid-campaign all-at-once stat bump for your monsters.

Imperial Assault gives a lot more actual ongoing upgrades to the Imperial side, and since it makes taking out the heroes genuinely useful (and often game-winning again), plentifully incentivizes proper combat. Being the Imperial player is actually fun as a result.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The End posted:

Overlord in Level 7 Omega Protocol is great fun

God drat right it is. Love that game. I really wanna try the expansion.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I have no idea where I'm going to put this Gloomhaven box :allears:

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Okay, yeah, I'm gonna pre-order that poo poo. How big is it?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I've only played the Bioterrorist module of Pandemic once, but it was a lot of fun.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Zurui posted:

Okay, yeah, I'm gonna pre-order that poo poo. How big is it?

11" x 16" x 7.5"

I cautioned against getting the game a few posts ago, but I'm still excited.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Beffer posted:

11" x 16" x 7.5"

:stare:

As long as it's above Wizkids quality I'm down.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The problem with Jack in Letters or Drac in Fury is that stalling is a perfectly viable move on their side just to mess with the other players which has the same effect as the Overlord going hard on the heroes

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Gutter Owl posted:

A competitive Overlord in Descent can easily shatter the game balance, particularly with the base campaign.

This was absolutely true in the first edition, but it wasn't really ever an issue in my group for the second edition. The Overlord always felt like he had to rush to get poo poo set up because the heroes could blast though certain campaigns so loving fast that, if you didn't get a good lead early, you'd be playing catch up the rest of the map.

Now, I haven't played it since Labyrinth came out, so maybe subsequent expansions changed that for the worse, and I didn't own the 1st edition, so I didn't have access to some of the more degenerate monster abilities from there, but base game isn't nearly as bad as you make it sound.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Don't suppose anyone could advise me on how to teach Panamax? I am a horrible teacher of board games unless I've played it a lot, and this is definitely not one of those cases.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

1856 question: when starting a company what is the cost of the first certificate? Is it whatever the person starting the company decides to set the par value to e.g. $65 to $100?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Beffer posted:

11" x 16" x 7.5"

The Cthulhu Wars base game is 17.25" x 12.75" x 6.25". I keep it on top of the six foot heavy duty iron shelf that serves as my game rack.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

al-azad posted:

1856 question: when starting a company what is the cost of the first certificate? Is it whatever the person starting the company decides to set the par value to e.g. $65 to $100?

Yes, exactly. You always take the 20% President's Certificate first though, so it'll be twice whatever you set.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Jedit posted:

The Cthulhu Wars base game is 17.25" x 12.75" x 6.25". I keep it on top of the six foot heavy duty iron shelf that serves as my game rack.

It fits pretty nicely in a Kallax too. Though that reminds me, I still need to mess around with the layout/inserts so I can fit in the expansions and have it be transportable...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
How does Forge War play with two? Thinking about busting it out today but my usual Saturday group has been dwindling due to various real-life things and it's likely only one other person's actually going to show up.

Also since this issue will likely continue through the summer, what are some good two-player games you'd recommend? The extent of my two-player games right now are Hive and Summoner War (and War of the Ring but doubt I'll ever want to learn that thing again). I assume Tash-Kalar is a must, of course. And I probably have a lot of the 3+ player games that handle well at two, such as Dominion, but feel free to recommend them anyway in case I already have them or whatever.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Gutter Owl posted:

This is the problem of catacombs. The DM/overlord/badguy has to deliberately play badly to give the players a shot at winning.

Beautiful art but it makes the game worthless

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

the panacea posted:

Gonna play Eldritch Horror for the first time today. Any rules that are easy to overlook / common mistakes?

I've been weighing up buying it so I'd be interested in your impressions if you want to do a trip report.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Anyone heading to/at the UK Board Games Expo, keep an eye out for the Rogue Artist Creations stand. They're demoing Top Hats and Treachery and Seishin. Give a trip report if you get a demo in!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think it's also the premier of Guilds of London, the latest game by Tony Boydell. I've heard good things about Snowdonia and I've seen some hype for Guilds.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Going to try Food Chain Magnate today. Any beginner tips? what are good choices for first turn hiring besides recruitment girl and trainer?

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Malloreon posted:

I can't think of a single 1 vs Many game where I enjoy being the 1.

Ghost Stories: Black Secret is nice because Wu Feng is a fucker always so why not be the fucker.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

al-azad posted:

I think it's also the premier of Guilds of London, the latest game by Tony Boydell. I've heard good things about Snowdonia and I've seen some hype for Guilds.

No, Guilds was premiered at Spiel last year. I didn't play it but I did watch part of a demo. I wasn't impressed, to be honest. Hopefully he's done some work since then.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Afaik, it's going to be for sale at UK BGE, while it was only being demoed at Essen.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Going to try Food Chain Magnate today. Any beginner tips? what are good choices for first turn hiring besides recruitment girl and trainer?

Those are the only 2 good choices

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Papes posted:

Those are the only 2 good choices

this is true, whatever the particular strategy you're after you're going to need to go either wide or deep on staff, and delaying getting your staff engine off the ground (not to mention getting neither first to train nor first to hire 3 milestones) is bad you'll definitely fall behind the people who do

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Malloreon posted:

I can't think of a single 1 vs Many game where I enjoy being the 1.

I like co-op and loathe quarterbacking, so this is a great compromise for me.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Ayn Randi posted:

this is true, whatever the particular strategy you're after you're going to need to go either wide or deep on staff, and delaying getting your staff engine off the ground (not to mention getting neither first to train nor first to hire 3 milestones) is bad you'll definitely fall behind the people who do

Depending on board layout and game length, going for food and marketing instead right off the bat nabs you good milestones (which no one else gets because they are busy engine building) and - again, depending on board layout and game length - you can win before they get off the ground. Your margin for error is razor thin though, but you can be one step ahead for quite a while not to mention maybe even grab first to make $100 (free CFO) if you don't gently caress up.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

I've been weighing up buying it so I'd be interested in your impressions if you want to do a trip report.

As someone who hates most dice based games and 'thematic experiences,' I think Eldritch is solid as long as you're not the one who runs or sets up the game. The victory conditions change based on the Old One chosen for each game, but generally you spend time either enhancing stats, fighting monsters, or solving mysteries. You roll dice to resolve anything, but the game is split on resolution. You either aim to roll a certain number of successes, or you aim to roll a single success by rolling dice equal to your stats. I feel the game gives you options to mitigate your luck enough that you don't feel screwed.

The headache of the game comes in the set up time and the enemy turn. Also, if you play with people who are resolved to read the flavor text on every card. The enemy turn has I think 4 steps to resolve, and it takes a long time to do so. You have have a lot of fiddly parts that require a lot of real estate. Large game board, player pieces, gates, Monster chits, store deck, artifact deck, old one deck, mystery deck, on board counters, and I'm sure I'm missing stuff.

If you don't mind learning the rules, spending 30 minutes setting up, and dealing with a lot of fiddly bits, then pick it up. I will still maintain that Pandemic is a more cohesive coop experience. If you tried that and want a step up without dealing with the complexity of Mage Knight, I think it's a fair option.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I've won 1 on 7 with Shadows over Camelot. That's a good, good win and I refuse to play it again.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Can someone talk Smallworld? The decline mechanic looks interesting but I remember people disparaging its balance

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

StashAugustine posted:

Can someone talk Smallworld? The decline mechanic looks interesting but I remember people disparaging its balance

You can't disparage something that doesn't exist.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

StashAugustine posted:

The decline mechanism is probably something that belongs/is expanded upon in a better game, but Smallworld is not it. The basic gameplay is piss simple and repetitive and the best moves are really obvious. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone besides those that are just starting out in boardgames, but even then, the game just doesn't have any staying power, unlike Carcassonne or something.

If you're curious, try the app/PC port first.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

The races/powers aren't balanced. The coin/auction helps, but mostly the game self-balances on politics. At every turn you're choosing who to attack, so if players are awake this will normally tend to keep the game close until the end, regardless of how people play (as long as people keep track of who is winning that is).

And then it'll be decided by how people roll on the last turn.

So yeah, the balance is fine.

Edit: the decline mechanism is a good idea. It means you keep having options through the game even if you haven't done well. Does make for some long breaks between your real turns though... Overall, this game is only going to work when played very casually.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

Decline is there to help balance the lack of balance in the adjective/race combos. Once you've played about two or three turns with a race it's usually better to go into decline than to keep them around. It's a good game for introducing people to board games or for beer and pretzels play, I enjoy it, but I wouldn't call it a well-designed game.