Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ihmemies posted:

Does linux make things specifically obtuse for users?

yes

or rather, it doesn't do much to make things particularly easy for users at the system level.

and yes, bluetooth may in fact be one of the worst examples of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

What is the right way for a process limited by cgroups to figure out how much memory it has available to it before it's going to get OOMKilled? I see a CLI tool called "cgget", but I'd really like a library.

It looks like in cgroup v1 you could check /sys/fs/cgroup/memory/memory.limit_in_bytes from the process being controlled by the cgroup, but that's gone in v2 and instead /sys/fs/cgroup/memory.max is there. Do I have to write code to check both, if I want to run inside of cgroups v1 and v2?
Isn't there something in the system log from the kernel, about which process got killed?

That's how every Unix-like has traditionally handled it, so it seems strange to get rid of it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Isn't there something in the system log from the kernel, about which process got killed?

That's how every Unix-like has traditionally handled it, so it seems strange to get rid of it.

yeah, oomkiller should be spitting out a giant wall of text to dmesg about what it killed and why

and oomkiller typically doesn't just kill a process because it used too much memory, it has a formula it uses to determine what its allowed to kill when the system runs out of memory

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

Does linux make things specifically obtuse for users? Like I'm supposed to mount a /dev/something folder to my docker so home assistant can use my USB bt dongle.

You're confusing linux with docker. Docker is a poo poo program for which no brain cells were used in making. Linux is a bit better than that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's not fair, docker came around at a point where nothing else like it existed. No one ever gets things right on the first try.

A lot of people were working on the linux features needed to support containers at that time and it was docker that brought it all together.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I've started using Podman for most of my container stuff now and it seems to work pretty nice. I'd recommend giving it a shot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, podman is a huge improvement.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

After you've gotten killed there's OOMKiller logs, but I'm trying to figure out the right way to find out what memory limits my process is living in so that I don't get killed. I've got a C++ application I'm developing that performs better with more memory, but I'd like to have it figure out how much memory is available by looking at the settings of the cgroups limits its running in rather than forcing people to tell it a maximum.

The Java Paketo buildpack checks these settings somehow to determine at launch time how to configure JVM memory limits, which is really nice: https://paketo.io/docs/reference/java-reference/#memory-calculator. I'm just looking for a lightweight way to figure out how much memory I can allocate before cgroups kills me.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Twerk from Home posted:

What is the right way for a process limited by cgroups to figure out how much memory it has available to it before it's going to get OOMKilled? I see a CLI tool called "cgget", but I'd really like a library.

It looks like in cgroup v1 you could check /sys/fs/cgroup/memory/memory.limit_in_bytes from the process being controlled by the cgroup, but that's gone in v2 and instead /sys/fs/cgroup/memory.max is there. Do I have to write code to check both, if I want to run inside of cgroups v1 and v2?

It's been a while but the last time i wrangled cgroups I don't think we ever came up with a better way than reading the memory.limit_in_bytes file, so yeah probably the best bet is to check for both files and read whichever exists. I don't have access to the code anymore so I can't check if there was some more cleverness, but I don't remember any convenient way to just ask.

SadBag
Jun 24, 2012

Something has gone very wrong for us to get to the point where Hot Dog is the admiral.
I'm currently in the process of updating from Mint 19.3 to Mint 20, and was noticing that I'm getting
code:
Processing triggers for linux-image-5.4.0-<version>-generic
followed by finding linux and initrd images of /vmlinuz or initrd.img. This has been repeated with multiple versions. What is actually happening when it says/does this?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's updating the kernel, and thus the vmlinuz (compressed kernel) and initrd (initial ram disk) that applies to that update.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

SadBag posted:

I'm currently in the process of updating from Mint 19.3 to Mint 20, and was noticing that I'm getting
code:
Processing triggers for linux-image-5.4.0-<version>-generic
followed by finding linux and initrd images of /vmlinuz or initrd.img. This has been repeated with multiple versions. What is actually happening when it says/does this?

I don't know if Mint does anything specific to it, but it should be regenerating the initrd if needed and adding the correct line to grub or whatever for the kernel in question.

SadBag
Jun 24, 2012

Something has gone very wrong for us to get to the point where Hot Dog is the admiral.

Tesseraction posted:

It's updating the kernel, and thus the vmlinuz (compressed kernel) and initrd (initial ram disk) that applies to that update.

Is there a reason it doesn't seem to be doing this in version order? Because I've noticed its been hopping between versions on the last digit. ie 5.4.0-<variable version>
It was 120 at one point, then 59, then 74.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

My guess is it's doing it in alphanumerical order - and naďvely saying "well 1 comes before 5, which comes before 7" rather than parsing them as numbers.

SadBag
Jun 24, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

My guess is it's doing it in alphanumerical order - and naďvely saying "well 1 comes before 5, which comes before 7" rather than parsing them as numbers.

I'm not seeing that. 66 then 113, 91, 104, 96, 99. Does seem to be doing it faster than before though, so maybe it's mostly over?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Could just be doing it in some parallel "start a bunch of workers and split the work between them" way, I guess? The kernel/initrd tasks don't depend on each other, so they don't have to be done in order.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Also, you might want to run 'apt autoremove' to get rid of some of the old kernels. There's basically no reason to keep more around than current and previous.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SadBag posted:

I'm not seeing that. 66 then 113, 91, 104, 96, 99. Does seem to be doing it faster than before though, so maybe it's mostly over?
the order of files on the filesystem is entirely random, and the initrd/grub tools just read the files sequentially without any sorting
you can easily see this behaviour with find, when copying directories with cp -rv, really any simple tool that just dumps the filesystem contents onto you as efficiently as possible:
code:
truga@truga:~$ find /boot -maxdepth 1 -type f
/boot/System.map-5.10.0-10-amd64
/boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-15-amd64
/boot/System.map-6.0.0-6-amd64
/boot/vmlinuz-6.0.0-6-amd64
/boot/config-5.10.0-11-amd64
/boot/config-5.10.0-15-amd64
/boot/config-6.0.0-5-amd64
/boot/config-6.0.0-6-amd64
/boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-16-amd64
/boot/vmlinuz-5.10.0-15-amd64
/boot/vmlinuz-6.0.0-5-amd64
/boot/System.map-6.0.0-5-amd64
/boot/System.map-5.10.0-15-amd64
/boot/vmlinuz-5.10.0-11-amd64
/boot/System.map-5.10.0-11-amd64
/boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-11-amd64
/boot/initrd.img-6.0.0-5-amd64
/boot/vmlinuz-5.10.0-10-amd64
/boot/System.map-5.10.0-16-amd64
/boot/config-5.10.0-10-amd64
/boot/vmlinuz-5.10.0-16-amd64
/boot/config-5.10.0-16-amd64
/boot/initrd.img-6.0.0-6-amd64
/boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-10-amd64
also,

Phosphine posted:

Also, you might want to run 'apt autoremove' to get rid of some of the old kernels. There's basically no reason to keep more around than current and previous.
definitely do this

SadBag
Jun 24, 2012

Phosphine posted:

Did this.

The problem that got me to do the update is still rearing its head. Cinnamon was crashing on startup, when I tried starting from terminal I got some error with Clutter not being able to start or something. I removed my nvidia drivers, went into software mode, and tried installing nvidia-driver-525-open(the recommended driver) from driver manager. After rebooting I wasn't able to get to login(got a black screen with occasional cursor flash), so I rebooted again I removed the nvidia drivers again.

In software mode now and looking at the driver manager. Currently running on xserver-xorg-video-nouveau, should I try going for a previous driver version, like nvidia-driver-515-open, should I try the non-open driver to see if that makes a difference, or should I do what I'm seeing here https://www.binarytides.com/install-nvidia-drivers-ubuntu-14-04/?

code:
inxi -F
System:
  Host: slider-AY610AA-ABA-a4327c Kernel: 5.4.0-135-generic x86_64 bits: 64 
  Desktop: Cinnamon 4.6.7 Distro: Linux Mint 20 Ulyana 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop Mobo: ASRock model: X570 Phantom Gaming 4 
  serial: <superuser/root required> UEFI [Legacy]: American Megatrends 
  v: P1.70 date: 09/10/2019 
CPU:
  Topology: 6-Core model: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
  Speed: 2200 MHz min/max: 2200/3600 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2200 2: 2199 
  3: 2200 4: 2195 5: 2197 6: 2200 7: 2200 8: 2200 9: 2199 10: 2195 11: 2199 
  12: 2192 
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA TU116 [GeForce GTX 1660] driver: nouveau v: kernel 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: modesetting 
  unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 12.0.0 256 bits) v: 4.5 Mesa 21.2.6 
Audio:
  Device-1: NVIDIA TU116 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
  Device-2: AMD Starship/Matisse HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-135-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Intel I211 Gigabit Network driver: igb 
  IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: a8:a1:59:02:b1:9f 
  IF-ID-1: docker0 state: down mac: 02:42:73:eb:be:55 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 1.20 TiB used: 115.36 GiB (9.4%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD3200AAJS-65M0A0 
  size: 298.09 GiB 
  ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Samsung model: SSD 860 EVO 1TB size: 931.51 GiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 292.35 GiB used: 115.36 GiB (39.5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 62.4 C mobo: N/A gpu: nouveau temp: 23 C 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: nouveau fan: 1195 
Info:
  Processes: 292 Uptime: 22m Memory: 15.56 GiB used: 2.12 GiB (13.6%) 
  Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.38 

SadBag fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 21, 2022

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
unless you have some very specific reason to use nvidia-open driver, i'd highly suggest just using the proprietary version since that's actually supported on your gpu

SadBag
Jun 24, 2012

Truga posted:

unless you have some very specific reason to use nvidia-open driver, i'd highly suggest just using the proprietary version since that's actually supported on your gpu

Used proprietary, seems to be working. Thanks.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Isn't nvidia-open in alpha stage? Why would any distro recommend it? nvidia-open is the "new" open source driver, right?, from nvidia. That they just opened this summer?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So apparently ostree supports rebasing using arbitrary container images. So you can create a containerfile of your preferred ostree OS (like Fedora Silverblue) make the tweaks you want to the OS in the file (setting up unfiltered flathub, replacing rpm Firefox with flatpak Firefox, setting the update frequency, etc) and rebase to this new image like you would to a docker or podman container. You'd need to deploy using a platform that offers CI/CD (like github with its "workflows") so you can set it up to periodically check for updates from the base image and rebuild the container image. Otherwise your OS won't recieve updates from upstream.

Pretty neat IMO.

https://github.com/ublue-os/base

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
Mint is at 21.3 so just curious why you are going from 19 to 20?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

Mint is at 21.3 so just curious why you are going from 19 to 20?

Ironically I had previously intended to update my Mint 19 VM to 20 and hadn't gotten around to it so that post made me get around to it only to realise it's now 21.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Phosphine posted:

I've already upgraded past this issue, but I wanted to ask for future reference: is there a way to put a hold on your old kernel and only update the current one?

Backstory: After a kernel update when I rebooted I only had one monitor and resolution was locked to 640x480 or something stupid. Tracked it down to a video driver issue in that update and booted with my previous kernel, everything was fine. What I wanted to avoid was updating to another kernel version with the same issue and having both a current and previous kernel that were busted. I wanted to lock my working previous kernel version and only update the current one.

vvv
Thanks, I remember reading about holding packages in my research, but I wasn't 100% that same process applied to kernels.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 25, 2022

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Takes No Damage posted:

I've already upgraded past this issue, but I wanted to ask for future reference: is there a way to put a hold on your old kernel and only update the current one?

Backstory: After a kernel update when I rebooted I only had one monitor and resolution was locked to 640x480 or something stupid. Tracked it down to a video driver issue in that update and booted with my previous kernel, everything was fine. What I wanted to avoid was updating to another kernel version with the same issue and having both a current and previous kernel that were busted. I wanted to lock my working previous kernel version and only update the current one.

You can use 'apt-mark hold' to mark a package as held, preventing it from being upgraded or autoremoved. So if you hold the known working kernel, you can fearlessly update and autoremove after that and it will remain for you to boot into if it breaks.

Edit: scenarios like this is also why upgrade doesn't autoremove and kernels are different packages that succeed that previous instead of being versions of the same. The suggested procedure is to upgrade, reboot, and then autoremove, so you don't end up with only a nonbooting kernel.

I think (don't quote me on this/rely on it for safety) that Ubuntu internally keeps track of kernels you've booted, so even if you run autoremove immediately, it will keep the one you're currently on in addition to latest, as it hasn't confirmed that the new one works yet.

Phosphine fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Dec 25, 2022

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Problem: due to my brand new GPU, I need both a recent Mesa as well as LLVM 15 in order to get the acceleration working.

For native apps that's fine, I just installed the RPM packages. But for flatpaks, it's not so straightforward.

There is a mesa-git package and you can use the envvar FLATPAK_GL_DRIVERS to get it loaded by other flatpaks (detailed instructions here). So that part is done.

But when it comes to LLVM, it seems I'm SOL. The only packages available, even in the beta flathub, are for v12 and v14, despite v15 having been officially released almost four months ago. And I did not find anywhere a way to inject a specific LLVM extension into flatpaks, like you can with mesa, so maybe it's pointless. The best I could find was this very old and very abandoned project but it's broken in non-obvious way (the LLVM git repo has migrated to a different structure).

So I'm looking, if not for a solution, at least for some clues to the question: how do I get a flatpak to use LLVM 15?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought the whole point of flatpaks is that they are bound as a unit with their dependencies, rather than pulling in libraries from the host environment. It sounds like they made an exception for GL drivers but AIUI the right way to solve this is to rebuild the flatpak itself against LLVM 15. I haven’t done much of it, but because of that isolation flatpaks tend to be easy to build, if a bit slow.

(I wonder how many more exceptions they’ll make, until flatpaks are just awkward RPMs again.)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Flatpak is idiotic for precisely the reason you have discovered.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It’s no more idiotic than static linking, which is to say taking a specific point in the trade off spectrum between “control my dependencies” and “integrate into the system”.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Is there anything like this https://getfancontrol.com/ for linux? I got fed up with windows on my desktop and decided to dip my toes into linux on the desktop again with Manjaro but I can't for the life of me find any utilities to control fan speed that have the depth this tool had - it seems like they either don't work at all or "work" but fail to expose all the sensors that the "sensors" command reports, including ones my previous configuration relied on. (also no hysteresis, no averaging sensors together, etc.)

fancontrol-gui is the former, coolero is the latter.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Which distro branch of Linux are you on? There may be agnostic software but if you share your distro it's easier to tell who knows their branch enough to give a good answer.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Being that it's arch-based, anything in AUR is also easily accessible.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

corgski posted:

Being that it's arch-based, anything in AUR is also easily accessible.

Sorry I have to admit that I blanked on Manjaro because I didn't recognise it - my bad. Does this provide the functionality you're looking for? https://gitlab.com/corectrl/corectrl

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tesseraction posted:

Sorry I have to admit that I blanked on Manjaro because I didn't recognise it - my bad. Does this provide the functionality you're looking for? https://gitlab.com/corectrl/corectrl

corectrl is nice, but it’s about controlling the CPU and GPU parameters like clocks and power levels, and not system fan profiles. (It does say it can control the fans on AMD GPUs, but that’s all afaict.)

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm pretty new to linux but I am slowly learning.

I have Mint 20.3 Cinnamon installed on an AMD Ryzen 5 5600G machine. I replaced the motherboard and removed an Nvidia GT 1030 video card, to use onboard graphics instead. Linux is able to boot, but doesn't seem to be using an graphics drivers at all.

inxi --graphics results in:

code:
Graphics: Device-1: [b]AMD driver: N/A[/b]
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: ati,fbdev unloaded: modesetting,radeon,vesa
resolution: 3840x2160~88Hz
OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 12.0.0 256 bits) v: 4.5 Mesa 21.2.6
and lshw -c video results in:

code:
*-display UNCLAIMED
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:06:00.0
version: c9
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm pciexpress msi msix vga_controller bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:e0000000-e01fffff ioport:e000(size=256) memory:fcd00000-fcd7ffff
I understand that amdgpu drivers are installed with the kernal but it doesn't seem to be using them. When I boot I get the "You are currently running without hardware acceleration" warning. And I cannot do anything in the display settings window, meaning I can't change the resolution, detect the second monitor, nothing. It does my single display as "Laptop default". If I click Apply on the display window, I get an error;
code:
Failed to apply configuration. GDBus.Error:org.gtk.GDBus.UnmappedGError.Quark._gnome_2drr_2derror_2dquark.Code2: could not set the configuration for CRTC 1317
If I launch the driver manager, it says my computer does not need any additional drivers and closes.

I was hoping to not have to reinstall Linux. Is there any way to make this installation realize it's supposed to be using AMD graphics drivers now?

Edit: The solution was I was using kernal 5.4 for some reason. Updated and now it's all good.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 29, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Might be a bit of an obvious question but did you try
code:
(sudo) modprobe amdgpu
?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Unfortunately not, that's more of an overclocking tool than a fan control tool.

To generalize the problem, my cooling system has more thermal mass than the bare minimum cooler that the Tctl value on Ryzen processors was designed to drive. So my system spins up the fans way too quickly for short bursts of activity that can be absorbed entirely by the cooler, as long as case temps are low. Using the app I linked on windows I was able to set up a cooling program that used a running average of the cpu die temperature along with the average case temperature (sampled from the hard disks and a couple of the motherboard sensors) to control the system fans and have a much quieter system with a lot less variance in fan speed when web browsing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm guessing that https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/fan_speed_control was no help?