Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

captainOrbital posted:

I created a homemade man-ometer and apparently I am man enough to properly sync my throttle bodies!

So nice and smooth now (the levels were way out of whack before) and no more hesitation and surging at constant low-rpm throttle. I was shocked that it worked.

Well done generally for making the effort, and well done specifically for the wood board, the tube layout etc! Did the bike ingest any red fluid when you weren't sure of which way to turn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

captainOrbital posted:

I created a homemade man-ometer and apparently I am man enough to properly sync my throttle bodies!

So nice and smooth now (the levels were way out of whack before) and no more hesitation and surging at constant low-rpm throttle. I was shocked that it worked.

Nice! I've got the same thing but just 2 cylinders

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

Slavvy posted:

I've had a couple of dealings with these bikes and they are honestly pretty good imo.
I really, really want one. I'm hoping used examples can be found for ~2500 in a couple years, because even as cheap as they are I probably couldn't afford one new.

Something about a reasonably carefree, doofy little air-cooled thumper is very attractive. I stress about every little detail when it comes to my stupid Z, and I kinda want to have a bike I can care a whole lot less about (but still do routine maintenance because I'm not a barbarian).

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Yo, apologize if this was discussed already, but why'd we lock the Riding Game?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Elviscat posted:

Automatically got locked because of disuse.

None of us actually ride, we just bitch about bikes and other people.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I see, you have to click on the thread before the little locky icon pops up, in the Awful App

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Thread title change pls

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Excuse me, some of us fix bikes for other people between not riding and bitching about said bikes and people.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Managed to get out for a little 10 mile spin today. I need to do a bunch of 30 mile round trips to town and back, because I'm not supposed to take this thing over 40 until I've gotten 300 miles on it and changed the oil and filter. Then, stay at 50 for 1200 miles.

Part of me wonders if your typical Enfield owner who just bought, generously, an inexpensive motorcycle, even reads that loving thing, let alone does anything other than immediately head for blacktop and try to hit 80.

It shouldn't be too hard for me, one path to town takes me down twisty dirt for miles. I might have to cheat a little because there's one spot where I have to pop out on 50mph blacktop for a while, but that's it.

I tried to ride back on to state land, but the gates haven't been opened for the season yet. Inexplicably, right next to the gate I found a metal hanging shower shampoo-and-stuff rack of exactly the type my wife keeps threatening to buy for $20 at cheap stores. I didn't have a bungee with me, but I managed to strap it to the back of the bike with my belt....

We're at the end of mud season here and the (dirt) roads I am on are all completely hosed up. Obviously, this bike handles that much better than the old C5, in that it handles it at all. Also, standing up ever on the C5 was sort of terrifying, and standing on the pegs on this feels very natural when things get a little bumpy.

Pictures incoming once I manage to get someplace pretty, and hopefully more than 5 miles from home.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Elviscat posted:

Start a new one! I’ll play

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Ola posted:

Well done generally for making the effort, and well done specifically for the wood board, the tube layout etc! Did the bike ingest any red fluid when you weren't sure of which way to turn?

No, though one of the tubes was super high when I started. I think I made them long enough to compensate. And as you can see, I had a t-connector that was too small at first so it leaked a bit. When I had that old t-connector in, all of the fluid in the tubes instantly turned to foam when I turned the bike on. So hopefully not much got sucked in. It's auto transmission fluid so it's probably fine?

Also it stinks.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Part of me wonders if your typical Enfield owner who just bought, generously, an inexpensive motorcycle, even reads that loving thing

They don't, you're probably the first.

captainOrbital posted:

No, though one of the tubes was super high when I started. I think I made them long enough to compensate. And as you can see, I had a t-connector that was too small at first so it leaked a bit. When I had that old t-connector in, all of the fluid in the tubes instantly turned to foam when I turned the bike on. So hopefully not much got sucked in. It's auto transmission fluid so it's probably fine?

Also it stinks.

If any got sucked in you would still be clearing the smoke out of your garage.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Start a new one! I’ll play

Done!

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Dropped the 1290 off for service and a new tyre today.

And some minor repairs 'cause I highsided like a doofus doing a u-turn

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost
The PNW thread is locked, so I’ll post here instead.

Washington State just passed House Bill 1040 requiring motorcycle riders to have liability insurance. The law will go into effect 90 days after the legislative session.

https://keprtv.com/news/local/governor-signs-jenkins-motorcycle-liability-bill

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Discount Dracula posted:

Washington State just passed House Bill 1040 requiring motorcycle riders to have liability insurance. The law will go into effect 90 days after the legislative session.

I was surprised when I moved here that it wasn't required, I figured it was only a matter of time.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, it was a wtf for me too, at $400 a year for comprehensive I just carry that on all my bikes.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Mmmmmhhh brought the R6 back to life today for the first time this year and the last time with the old exhaust.

Its been almost 10 years that I have this machine and I still adore every little bit of it. Hope to get a lot more riding time this year.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I wrote a big post about how I'm still enjoying the z900rs 3 weeks in but the forums ate it so I'll summarize:

* Engine great
* Exhaust good
* Transmission great, slipper clutch great
* Wide tank surprisingly ergonomic, feel stable squeezing it during hard braking etc

Quibbles:
* Fuel economy pretty bad :(
* Stock seat not awful but not great; want to try out some aftermarket ones but don't wanna drop hundreds of dollars sight unseen... It'd be great if I could find a place that stocks them.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Discount Dracula posted:

Yeah I'm not surprised this come around, it's pretty reasonable to require it for motos as well as cars. I've always carried it anyway.

But I'm sure you'll be shocked to learn that Rep. Jenkins took contributions from an insurance PAC, USAA, and Pemco last cycle. We'll also probably see moto insurance rates go up once it's required. Captive market and all that.

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 27, 2019

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
My dad, 60-ish yo, sold his VFR800 a couple of years ago. My sister told me yesterday he bought a mid 90s Virago 535 from a coworker for 500 bucks, so I asked him over messenger if the leather vest was in the mail yet.

He sent me this back.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Nidhg00670000 posted:

My dad, 60-ish yo, sold his VFR800 a couple of years ago. My sister told me yesterday he bought a mid 90s Virago 535 from a coworker for 500 bucks, so I asked him over messenger if the leather vest was in the mail yet.

He sent me this back.

Can your dad adopt me

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

He sent me this back.

Crap bike, good dad.

Guessing he wanted something he can get hands-on with?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Um yeah your dad rules.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Crap bike, good dad.

Guessing he wanted something he can get hands-on with?

He is good.

I think he just wants something to tinker with and putter to work with. I sniffed out the workshop manual on the internets for him, and gosh darn everything seems very very simple to work with. You can clean the low speed jets in situ ffs!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
https://youtu.be/gy4wdS46HQ4

Aesthetics aside, this custom 950 sm sounds amazing. If those weight numbers are true then the power to weight ratio if that thing must be nuts.

Anyone have experience with the lc8s?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Razzled posted:

https://youtu.be/gy4wdS46HQ4

Aesthetics aside, this custom 950 sm sounds amazing. If those weight numbers are true then the power to weight ratio if that thing must be nuts.

Anyone have experience with the lc8s?

that dude took an insanely easy to wheelie bike and managed to pull the lamest wheelies ever on it 😂

but all the 950s ruled. the super enduro and sms were such rad motorcycles that will likely never be done again which is incredibly sad. I’ll likely pick up a 950se here this year if I don’t end up just getting a 300xc w TPI like I really ought to

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
is there a thread on electric motorbikes anywhere? I couldn't find one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There haven't really been enough electric motorcycles available to date to justify their own thread. We just talk about them in this general discussion thread here or the EV thread in AI.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Sagebrush posted:

There haven't really been enough electric motorcycles available to date to justify their own thread. We just talk about them in this general discussion thread here or the EV thread in AI.

Fair enough!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I love electric motorcycle chat, even though I rarely have much to say about it, I'm really curious about them, and have been looking for an ev motorcycle demo day. It seems everyone who gets one raves about it, then shortly thereafter stops posting anything at all.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
I've been looking at picking up an electric bike for ages but sadly they are still twice the price for the same performance :smith: There's a new Super Soco TS1200R launching in Oz but i can't pay 5k for a 50cc moped

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

queef anxiety posted:

I've been looking at picking up an electric bike for ages but sadly they are still twice the price for the same performance :smith: There's a new Super Soco TS1200R launching in Oz but i can't pay 5k for a 50cc moped

I wish they'd bring something like the Vectrix back - that superscoot layout is perfect for an EV and it'd actually be practical (and cheap, thanks to free charging at work) for my commute, and I could just about justify paying ~8k GBP for a commuter bike with dead dinosaurs saved for the weekend.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

right arm posted:

that dude took an insanely easy to wheelie bike and managed to pull the lamest wheelies ever on it 😂

but all the 950s ruled. the super enduro and sms were such rad motorcycles that will likely never be done again which is incredibly sad. I’ll likely pick up a 950se here this year if I don’t end up just getting a 300xc w TPI like I really ought to

the TPIs are the only like new dirt bikes i regularly see on sale lol
lotta issues with them if you believe the anecdotes

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I wish they'd bring something like the Vectrix back - that superscoot layout is perfect for an EV and it'd actually be practical (and cheap, thanks to free charging at work) for my commute, and I could just about justify paying ~8k GBP for a commuter bike with dead dinosaurs saved for the weekend.

I'd be down for a vectrix though I don't know how I feel about a scooter in bic city traffic. I really, really want a Zero FXS but 10k USD minus the import cost is a real downer :smith:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

the TPIs are the only like new dirt bikes i regularly see on sale lol
lotta issues with them if you believe the anecdotes

It's cause KTM two strokes are a oval office to rebuild and generally can't cope with being used in real life outside of factory race team conditions.

The guy who builds most of the engines on nzsbk grid is now refusing to assemble/balance KTM cranks for me because no matter how perfect you put one together, there's like a 20% chance it will poo poo itself for absolutely no reason long before the rebuild interval. They also do things like having plastic inserts on the crank which melt and gently caress things up if you run even a touch lean, they make everything pointlessly light and frail for the sake of an extra percent more efficiency, their radiator design is loving terrible, the air forks are terrible, output shafts are made of camembert etc etc

They're fast fun bikes and a great 'product' but they are not in any way good vehicles. I stand by my statement that KTM are the 2 wheeled Audi, they are designed to impress journalists (so people who ride lots but never have to own or fix any of their bikes) and game magazine comparison tests at the expense of pretty much everything else.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
random 2002 fz1 ramblings after 1 full day of riding (got plates today) since ive been shotgun blasting posts in various threads and this is about the best spot. all of this is in the context of a "fear of god" rider riding sanely around town, 90 miles today in mixed country road / heavy urban / grocery gettin' traffic. for context, my spouse and I split up last year, I immediately got my endorsement and bought a $1200 ex500 [HELL YEAH CLICHES], got hit by a car 4 weeks in, glued the ninja back together with ABS cement and bought ebay parts to replace the ones that got folded in half on the highside, got back on that horse and put another 5,000 miles on between July and last week. I desired a cleaner ride so started looking around, found this for a fair price, threw money at it recklessly.

* oh my god it's so big compared to the ex500. like i REALLY gotta swing that leg over. i'm 30" inseam and that's about the limit. it feels incredibly wide. seat is super comfy, position is super comfy but I am manspreading a bit more than the tiny pocket bike ninja. Might start out each day with a couple mins of stretches cause I hopped on this morning and did get a little bit of hip pain for a few mins just straddling the monster.
* still getting used to the 4's revviness and desire to spin faster than a pulsar. I'm getting better at stoplight takeoffs but i am still getting occasional VROOMrevsdowntakeoff as I let the clutch out. but already better tonight than i was this morning
* the brakes are godlike. i don't have a HEY FUCKER flasher on the brake light yet so i double tapped the rear lightly to wake up a car behind me and lost like 10mph. the front is 10x that.
* it's HOT lol. middle of the day my lower half was just pouring sweat. It's a good hurt
* havent gotten it into 4th yet. I was an idiot and went on i70 and then downtown denver at 4-5 pm and.....it was easier to ride than the ninja? because i didn't have to shift. I could go 10mph in first or I could go 55 in first. I like it for traffic jams minus the heat aspect.
* powerband is so good, you can lope it at 3k in any gear and do just fine, then crack the throttle a bit to instantly pass like eight cars in one second. I havent broken like 8k rpm and only then like 30% throttle which is where I feel the front gets a little light.

all in all i am very glad that i threw 2700 woolongs at this machine and will treat it with great respect and appreciate just how much more of an extreme vehicle it is than the old ex500. Speaking of which, i will miss the ninja once I sell it to my buddy. I'm thinking of getting an ex250 or a supermoto or something tiny to have as a zippy fun in-town ride that I can twist the throttle on without my ancestors preparing my raft over the river Styx.

do not buy this as your first bike. i was probably an idiot buying it as my second. do not buy this as your first bike.

brb while i go polish it with a diaper and q-tips

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 14, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Big inline 4's are like riding a lit barbecue grill in my experience. My Bandit 1200 was the same way. Just wait till august :unsmigghh:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's easy to cool down, just go faster! :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Anyone in the Orlando area know of a reputable place to learn how to ride? I'm starting to seriously consider buying a motorcycle next year but I've never been on anything bigger than a bicycle.