Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
America's entire idea is a strongman who oversees the country. That's why our first president was a General.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Peanut President posted:

America's entire idea is a strongman who oversees the country. That's why our first president was a General.

What about the second through sixth presidents, who were all limp-wristed sissies?

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

fishmech posted:

There were hardly any proportional representation or instant runoff vote based democracies back in the 18th century, you realize?

Most of the colonies that became the US already had UK Parliament-modeled legislatures, elected first past the post from geographic constituencies. Nobody really felt like that was a problem, especially since they still considered it fine to have requirements that you be a white male over 21 who owned property to vote. So when the constitution was being planned, they kept that same idea for the national legislature as well.

If I recall right, the French revolutionaries also used first past the post voting from geographic constituencies for all of the various offices and systems of legislatures they tried, even though they tried like 5 different forms before Napoleon became emperor.

The thing you're thinking of with low population states is the compromise that led to the Senate having 2 Senators from every state regardless of population (to appease the small states) and the House of Representatives having varying representatives per state based on population (to appease the large states). Incidentally, this is why the Senators were originally elected by the state legislatures, and why there was (and is) no requirement that Presidential electors in the electoral college are determined by popular vote - in both cases they're actually meant to represent the States, not necessarily the people.

Here''s some maps of that in action, the popular vote in early Presidential elections:

:prepop: Monroe winning by larger margins than Kim-Jong-Un

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Randandal posted:

Just goes to show that bad things always happen to political parties that collaborate with hostile foreign governments!

Wait...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Randandal posted:

He ran effectively unopposed that year! The other major party, the Federalists, had essentially collapsed, and they didn't even nominate a candidate. The only thing that stopped Monroe from being unanimously elected in the electoral college was a faithless elector deciding to vote for another Democratic-Republican candidate who didn't even run or get any popular vote, solely because he wanted George Washington to be the only unanimously elected president.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Badger of Basra posted:

What about the second through sixth presidents, who were all limp-wristed sissies?

Shaking things out.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Quality_Anime/status/797582740321226753

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

You know, other than the misspellings and Denver being labeled as Dallas, that's pretty good

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

This map is representative of a broader problem some conservationists have identified in the US national park system. Species at greatest risk of extinction are concentrated in areas with relatively little protection.

Below: six maps depicting the concentration of endemic species. Endemic species are those found only in one small location, like a fish found in only a single tributary. In descending order on the left side: Mammals, birds amphibians. Descending on the right: reptiles, freshwater fish, trees (probably derived from the same source as Pakled's map.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Squalid posted:

This map is representative of a broader problem some conservationists have identified in the US national park system. Species at greatest risk of extinction are concentrated in areas with relatively little protection.

Below: six maps depicting the concentration of endemic species. Endemic species are those found only in one small location, like a fish found in only a single tributary. In descending order on the left side: Mammals, birds amphibians. Descending on the right: reptiles, freshwater fish, trees (probably derived from the same source as Pakled's map.

What exactly is happening in that part of the US that it seems to result in a much greater diversity of species? As far as I know these areas have been subject to intense settlement and human activity for a couple of hundred years at this point, how are all these endemic species not having their habitats trashed?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I don't actually know anything about that, but I would guess that it has to do with the more humid climate and that those areas were settled before the doomsday brutality of modern agribusiness and forestry.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If you wanna read up on that, search for "North American coastal plain". AFAIK it is because of a very stable climate in combination with regional fragmentation by altitudal differences, river valleys etc, which supports strong speciation. Unfortunately only something like 5% of original habitats remains, and only 2% of original pine savannah growths, which are by far the most biologically diverse biome in North America.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Climate is the biggest part of that, there is a strong correlation between warm, humid climates and genetic diversity. Species can evolve to fill more specialized roles when they don't have to deal with wide temperature variations and seasonal availability of food. Tropical rainforests are an extreme example of this, where you have animals that feed exclusively on one specific species of plant or live their entire lives in one tree.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Squalid posted:

This map is representative of a broader problem some conservationists have identified in the US national park system. Species at greatest risk of extinction are concentrated in areas with relatively little protection.]

Isn't that always going to be true though? A species in a highly protected area is always at a lowered risk of extinction - it's one of the reasons we protect places.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hambilderberglar posted:

What exactly is happening in that part of the US that it seems to result in a much greater diversity of species? As far as I know these areas have been subject to intense settlement and human activity for a couple of hundred years at this point, how are all these endemic species not having their habitats trashed?

warm, wet climate leading to the growth of semitropical rainforest, wetlands, and swamps

from a human standpoint the south has traditionally been more rural, even today there's not much population in that part of the country. so even though the deep south has been subject to european habitation for 500 years or so (the inland south was pretty sparsely populated by native americans) a lot of habitat was left alone and even today isn't relatively unthreatened as far as virgin habitat goes. a large portion of the agriculture of south georgia is tree farms, which is basically just a forest

fishmech posted:

Isn't that always going to be true though? A species in a highly protected area is always at a lowered risk of extinction - it's one of the reasons we protect places.

i think the implication is that southern states have less environmental protections and are less prone to environmentally protect at the expense of agriculture, which is true

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 15, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

boner confessor posted:

lot of habitat was left alone and even today isn't relatively unthreatened as far as virgin habitat goes. a large portion of the agriculture of south georgia is tree farms, which is basically just a forest

Unfortunately the most important sources of endemic populations are nearly gone, and in fact the whole region relies on second-growth forests after the old growth had been destroyed in early 20th century. In fact, it is the most vulnerable of all recognized global biodiversity hotspots.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Hambilderberglar posted:

hot and humid

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

fishmech posted:

Think less in terms of proximate causes of extinction and more about the distal or ultimate cause, then refer back to the maps. Preventing extinction is one reason we protect places, but it was very much a secondary concern during the period in which most National Parks were created.

boner confessor posted:

warm, wet climate leading to the growth of semitropical rainforest, wetlands, and swamps

from a human standpoint the south has traditionally been more rural, even today there's not much population in that part of the country. so even though the deep south has been subject to european habitation for 500 years or so (the inland south was pretty sparsely populated by native americans) a lot of habitat was left alone and even today isn't relatively unthreatened as far as virgin habitat goes. a large portion of the agriculture of south georgia is tree farms, which is basically just a forest

i think the implication is that southern states have less environmental protections and are less prone to environmentally protect at the expense of agriculture, which is true

Uh... not really. There are no semitropical rainforests in the continental United States, pre-columbian Indian populations in the continental US were quite dense in the inland south-east (see all those mounds they left everywhere) and heavily modified the ecology producing the extensive fire-dependent systems like Longleaf savannas the south is now known for, virgin habitat is extremely rare, and last but not least tree farms are absolutely NOT "just a forest." Try taking a stroll through a five year old loblolly stand before thinning and then tell yourself that again.

That said I'm optimistic about southern biodiversity. The region is dominated by a different conservation modality than other regions, with "wild" land viewed more as a productive addition to the landscape to be used rather than preserved. It is possible to keep land productive and protect biodiversity, but the region definitely needs more progress.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 15, 2016

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Related to above, map of global biodiversity hotspots, not including the recently added North American coastal plains:

And the same data transposed on a terrible map of human population:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

What's this?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

Related to above, map of global biodiversity hotspots, not including the recently added North American coastal plains:

:rip: kyushu

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Red Cross Blood Services Regions. I had thought they were nationwide but apparently not by a long shot.

http://www.redcrossblood.org/our-regions

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

ulmont posted:

Red Cross Blood Services Regions. I had thought they were nationwide but apparently not by a long shot.

http://www.redcrossblood.org/our-regions

I like that the region Chicago is in is named after college mascots from two other states.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.transparency.org/whatwedo/publication/7493

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The only reason that the UK is at 0% is because they bribed the surveyors.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

"Bribery Rates Across Europe and Central Asia*"

*Does not include Central Asia.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Golbez posted:

"Bribery Rates Across Europe and Central Asia*"

*Does not include Central Asia.

The map is split across two pages

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

steinrokkan posted:

Sorry, the Amazon, Congo, and Australia-New Guinea rainforests are *not* biodiversity hotspots?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Albino Squirrel posted:

Sorry, the Amazon, Congo, and Australia-New Guinea rainforests are *not* biodiversity hotspots?

Sorry,I should have added that "hotspot" in this case signifies endangered status - all these regions have lost at least 70% of their original vegetation, while containing a certain share of endemic species (0.5% of total in the region)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Trump's America

Clinton's America

http://nyti.ms/2eEV43O

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It would take a lot of effort to recreate the second map with nukes, I imagine.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Djibouti’s is the best.

Spain uses a hashtag. :barf:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
IRAQ
The other Iraq
(Kurdistan)

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
spa in in detail

Where It All Begins, Land of Origins, Land of Creation.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Slovakia is nice and to the point.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Visit Armenia, it is beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
Yes, it's Jordan

Andorra posted:

Where It All Begins, Land of Origins, Land of Creation.

Come to where it all started