Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

fakeaccount posted:

He just described why. I've had cars similar to that, which I loved because they didn't require a trip to the dealership and a 2nd mortgage to repair. Simpler machines are better machines. Newer cars are worse cars.

I would miss a cheap, reliable car, but not so much junk that broke, and stayed that way for extended periods.
I like making things work, so having to pop or push start a car for months would make me insane.

I definitely get being nostalgic for unexciting cars that kept you moving, though. I miss my '78 Chevy Monza, and wish I still had it. Rare and unusual, now. Also, '78 Fiat 128 sedan. Kinda miss my '81 Buick Regal, too, even though it was a V6 non-turbo/TH200. At least the other two were manuals.
Honestly, I miss all of my cars, for one reason or another. I'm not quite as auto-ADD as some of you, but over a dozen vehicles in 20+ years of driving. Mind you, 7 of them were RX-7s, 5 of which I still own...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Dagen H posted:

Replacing the valves is easy. Replacing the front LCA mounts, however, is a different story.

Bit of rust in the unibody?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Just a touch. Always in that specific location, too.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Darchangel posted:

'78 Chevy Monza

H-body best body

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Metro wasn't half-bad for what it was. I was surprised the little 3 banger had enough torque to take off in 3rd without much issue.

I want to get one and put the engine from a Triumph Speed Triple in it. Exactly twice the horsepower from about the same size I3.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Dagen H posted:

Replacing the valves is easy. Replacing the front LCA mounts, however, is a different story.

I think they just rip off the body and then it's done. I mean, anyone who tries to fix that is just plain desperate.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

chrisgt posted:

I think they just rip off the body and then it's done. I mean, anyone who tries to fix that is just plain desperate.

Well I assume you head to your local Briggs & Stratton store for the parts.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I had a 95 metro...sedan. Tiniest rear doors ever made hot drat.

Can confirm the center exhaust valve was melting into a triangle by the time I burned the clutch up and tossed it up on craigslist as, "Four nearly new tires and wheels, $400. Free car attached, must take all."

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
It's like Mr. Regular says, it's often not about the car itself, but more about what the car means to you, and the memories that you have attached to it and the period the car came from. They have a certain character and charm that let's us overlook their very obvious flaws
I know that we love to be a :arghfist::corsair: sometimes, but it's a little freaky how powerful and reliable the majority of cars are now. Most new economy cars have the power numbers of old sports cars, they're as quiet and smooth as old luxury cars, you'd be hard pressed to find one with a spare*, let alone a tool kit, and the service intervals are really long. I feel that that expectation that the car will always work well, regardless of how it's been maintained, takes some of the car's character away

Of course, sometimes that "character" I've been fellating turns out to be one of an antagonistic rear end in a top hat and seeing the badge/nameplate die is almost cathartic. I'd rather bike the 15 miles a day to school, in the worst winter that I drove my Windstar in, than have to drive those same miles in my old Windstar again. Seriously, gently caress that car. gently caress that car forever

*I have grown to hate spare tires, despite their obvious necessity. The amount of cars I see driving faster than 55mph on bald, sagging space-savers makes me thank those pencil pushers for the cans of fix a flat that new cars come with now

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I had a 95 metro...sedan. Tiniest rear doors ever made hot drat.

Can confirm the center exhaust valve was melting into a triangle by the time I burned the clutch up and tossed it up on craigslist as, "Four nearly new tires and wheels, $400. Free car attached, must take all."

I couldn't sell my old Windstar, no one would even contact my family about buying it. We ended up donating it to Seguin to be used as a vocational teaching tool instead of scrapping it. I still wish I could've seen it go to the crusher though

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 22, 2018

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

One of my coworkers has a 95 aerostar that he occasionally drives to work. I call it the tenement on wheels.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

It saddens me (well slightly) I can't remember what engine and drivetrain they stuffed into the Aerostar.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BloodBag posted:

One of my coworkers has a 95 aerostar that he occasionally drives to work. I call it the tenement on wheels.

For about six months one of my coworkers left his VW van (nicknamed "probable cause") parked in another coworker's driveway.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

The Door Frame posted:

...spare*...
*I have grown to hate spare tires, despite their obvious necessity. The amount of cars I see driving faster than 55mph on bald, sagging space-savers makes me thank those pencil pushers for the cans of fix a flat that new cars come with now

Why not both, I've had tired shred, no poo poo-in-a-can is gonna save you when chunks of tire went 100 feet in the air. Although I'm the obsessive type who MUST have a full size spare. I once drove 20 miles on a flat space saver (well, it was mostly on the rim because those tires don't last long once flat....). gently caress those things.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Colostomy Bag posted:

It saddens me (well slightly) I can't remember what engine and drivetrain they stuffed into the Aerostar.

The vast majority were the Vulcan 3.0, although later models could be had with the Cologne 4.0. I believe a few 2.3/5MTs also trickled out. (I had a LWB Eddie Bauer with the 4.0)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Dagen H posted:

The vast majority were the Vulcan 3.0, although later models could be had with the Cologne 4.0. I believe a few 2.3/5MTs also trickled out. (I had a LWB Eddie Bauer with the 4.0)

You could also get the old 2.8 V6 with a 5-speed.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Duly noted

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

The thing I remember about Aerostars from working at the emissions place was that the entire exhaust system looked to be made of catalytic converters.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I drove my Mom's Cologne powered Escape shortly after getting my own 1.5l Escape. I was not prepared for how gutless that V6 was in comparison.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Goddammit

I got bit by the double-gasket bug

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Am I doing this right?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

No, you should really be wearing a wingtip for car work.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jonny Nox posted:

I drove my Mom's Cologne powered Escape shortly after getting my own 1.5l Escape. I was not prepared for how gutless that V6 was in comparison.

The Escape never had a Cologne engine, those were only in longitudinal applications. The Escape V6 was the Duratec 30.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

shy boy from chess club posted:

The thing I remember about Aerostars from working at the emissions place was that the entire exhaust system looked to be made of catalytic converters.

As an MN12 owner, Ford had a thing for multiple cats in that era. 3 cats, a resonator and 2 mufflers.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I had a 1998 Taurus that had 3 cats, one in each pipe coming down from the manifold and a third one downstream from that.

Does the pushrod Vulcan V6 run that dirty?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Yes, through quick light off by placing "2 way" cats at the manifolds, with the NOx reduction done at the main cat.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Vanagoon posted:

I had a 1998 Taurus that had 3 cats, one in each pipe coming down from the manifold and a third one downstream from that.

Does the pushrod Vulcan V6 run that dirty?

The only positive thing I can say about that boat anchor is that it was designed as a stepping stone to get Ford to use metric standards instead of imperial. It had the power of a large 4 cylinder engine, but burned gas like a big V8, and it hated to rev

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Dagen H posted:

H-body best body

Here's trhe horrible mechanical failure(s): I liked that car until one of the mounts for the lower passenger side a-arm fatigued and broke off or the unibody. Not rusty, just... broke. The mounting area on the firewall for the cable-operated clutch did it, too, which gave me my first experience driving without a clutch for more than a shift or two. Fortunately, I was cognizant of the art of "speed shifting", if not practiced. Figured out starting off in first with the starter on my own, I'm proud to say.
Mine was even a Spyder Appearance package, though most of the decals were toast. Really wanted the IMSA widebody kit, and a V8 - mine was a 3.2L Buick V6 (underbored 3.8L) and a Saginaw 4-speed.
I got the opportunity to buy my '70 Cutlass and away the Monza went. Now, of course, I wish I'd have been able to keep it. It's pretty easy to convert them to GM car 5-lug and better brakes with S-10 stuff, and of course a V8 fits in that tiny little car. It even had a torque arm like the 3rd gen F-bodies.

This is my Monza:

No, wait, that's not right.
This...

...is closer.

OH, here it is:

Woo, '80s 110 Camera skills!

PhotoKirk posted:

As an MN12 owner, Ford had a thing for multiple cats in that era. 3 cats, a resonator and 2 mufflers.

RX-7s are famous for having two or three cats, depending on yeah, thanks to the insane HCs they put out. The first two years they tried to get by with basically and afterburner, AKA a "thermal reactor", where they injected extra air after the exhaust ports and burned the remaining gas in the manifold.

The Door Frame posted:

It's like Mr. Regular says, it's often not about the car itself, but more about what the car means to you, and the memories that you have attached to it and the period the car came from. They have a certain character and charm that let's us overlook their very obvious flaws
I know that we love to be a :arghfist::corsair: sometimes, but it's a little freaky how powerful and reliable the majority of cars are now. Most new economy cars have the power numbers of old sports cars, they're as quiet and smooth as old luxury cars, you'd be hard pressed to find one with a spare*, let alone a tool kit, and the service intervals are really long. I feel that that expectation that the car will always work well, regardless of how it's been maintained, takes some of the car's character away

I get that. It's stunning how much better of a car our '08 Kia Spectra5 is versus, say, my '87 AE86 Corolla. The Corolla has about 70K miles more than the Kia, but feels like such a rattletrap. Interior is far more spartan, half the horsepower out of 20% less displacement, brakes are... a suggestion, etc.
But it's still fun to fart about in.
Not as much fun as my RX-7 will be if it ever when it gets finished, though. :)

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

wolrah posted:

The Escape never had a Cologne engine, those were only in longitudinal applications. The Escape V6 was the Duratec 30.

Huh, don't know why I thought it was.

It was pretty poo poo, anyways. There's no way that was 240hp

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The Door Frame posted:

The only positive thing I can say about that boat anchor is that it was designed as a stepping stone to get Ford to use metric standards instead of imperial. It had the power of a large 4 cylinder engine, but burned gas like a big V8, and it hated to rev

The duratec 3.0 that was in my mazda 6 resembles this comment. What a fuckin slug of an engine.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

The Door Frame posted:

My 2V 4.6 V8 has (had?) a whopping 205HP when it was new.

The wife's new Accord has the same power out of a 2.3.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

PhotoKirk posted:

MN12? That always made me sad about my T-bird. Still a great car, though.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

MN12? That always made me sad about my T-bird. Still a great car, though.

Yup, 94 LX Thunderbird. Front main seal is leaking right now, just no time to work on it.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

PhotoKirk posted:

Ford F-series:
1989 2v 7.5 V8 - 225hp.

2017 4v 3.5 V6 - 450hp

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

PhotoKirk posted:

Yup, 94 LX Thunderbird. Front main seal is leaking right now, just no time to work on it.

I always wanted to Terminator-swap mine. I still think that would be a cool project, but I haven't seen a 'bird up here that I'd be willing to buy even as a project.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

BloodBag posted:

The duratec 3.0 that was in my mazda 6 resembles this comment. What a fuckin slug of an engine.

What's hilarious to me is that the 3.0 Duratec V6 is almost twice as powerful as the Vulcan, has a redline that's 1500 RPM's higher, and has 50% better fuel economy, but apparently still felt as slow and gutless as the Vulcan. At least Ford Mazda has developed better engines to put into their cars

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

PhotoKirk posted:

My fiesta makes the same power out of a 1.6

What a time to be alive

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jonny Nox posted:

Huh, don't know why I thought it was.

It was pretty poo poo, anyways. There's no way that was 240hp
But it's best in it's class!?! (a class that was all poo poo at the time and is still mostly poo poo).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeIA5rI3oys&t=176s

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

joat mon posted:

Ford F-series:
1989 2v 7.5 V8 - 225hp.

2017 4v 3.5 V6 - 450hp

That is impressive, but I am more impressed that a 3.5 V6 can put out 510 lb/ft of torque.

They used to say no replacement for displacement.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

slidebite posted:

That is impressive, but I am more impressed that a 3.5 V6 can put out 510 lb/ft of torque.

They used to say no replacement for displacement.

There's always been a replacement for displacement, it's called boost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
To be fair, turbos have come a long way in the past ten years, let alone twenty. It's not like it used to be where they were all laggy and came on in a huge hit.