Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
github and lightweight feature branches + pull requests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
academia: dropbox
real job: we moved from self hosted mercurial to bitbucket (still using mercurial tho), people use mainly tortoisehg and a bunch of scripts some dude put together to work on the main repo cuz it has subrepos and is awful

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
if it makes you feel any better subrepos suck just as hard in git as they do in hg

subrepos are just a bad idea ok

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Verdafolio posted:

the CTO gave me a very interesting death stare when i asked if we could use mercurial or why we even bother with a distributed versioning system if no more than one person usually works on anything at one time
git is better than svn even if you're a single developer who works on a private repository no one else will ever work on

mercurial is just bikeshedding

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
git could use some bikeshedding

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

its not bike shedding if you're building a bike shed

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i spun up a t2.nano and put a regular bare git repo on there that's accessed over ssh. i have one coworker and i make about 80% of the commits.

an issue tracker would be nice but eh, this works in the meantime.

i'm gonna try gogs on something that doesn't matter as much and if that doesn't turn into a ball of flames then i might install that at work.

(speaking of matter and much, mattermost is a cool self hosted slack clone and yall should check it out)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

hobbesmaster posted:

its not bike shedding if you're building a bike shed

actually, that's extremely bike shedding

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Mr Dog posted:

i spun up a t2.nano and put a regular bare git repo on there that's accessed over ssh. i have one coworker and i make about 80% of the commits.

i'm gonna try gogs on something that doesn't matter as much and if that doesn't turn into a ball of flames then i might install that at work.

(speaking of matter and much, mattermost is a cool self hosted slack clone and yall should check it out)

just use bitbucket and you get private repos for free

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
gitlab is also fine too

mystes
May 31, 2006

Valeyard posted:

you can write a flask-restful python app thats like 15 lines long that acts as a proxy, so instead of hitting site.com/whatever/ you hit locahost:5000/whatever/
You could probably do it in only a few more lines of c# using HttpListener. Unless you need https, in which case add a bunch of random commands to run makecert.exe, which you do have installed, right, and then bind the ssl certificate to the port, which you have to do as Administrator (unless you have already as Administrator already specifically given the user the permissions to do this), even though as a normal user you can't even open an externally accessible port by default using httplistener anyway. Thanks Microsoft!

mystes fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 27, 2016

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mr Dog posted:

if its just a bare repo use like a shared folder lool

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

comedyblissoption posted:

git is better than svn even if you're a single developer who works on a private repository no one else will ever work on

mercurial is just bikeshedding

mercurial has no features to recommend it that git lacks. it just has a nicer ui. a much nicer ui.

it should say everything that git's primary components are the "plumbing" and the "porcelain." git's own authors analogize it to a toilet. for gently caress's sake.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i recognize that git won this war and i converted all my personal repos from hg to git long ago

but that doesn't mean i gotta be happy about it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

bitbucket is 100% free including private repos and poo poo for <5 users

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I liked git better before I became aware that there's a thing called phabricator that people use with it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

jony neuemonic posted:

rebase instead of merge imo but yes, it's a critical habit otherwise you're going to screw up a merge to master sooner or later.

b-b-but everyone told me that branching and merging in git was fine!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

it is fine.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

~Coxy posted:

It is. If you never rebase then you'll never screw up master by simply branching and merging.

However, you'll have a knotty history polluted with lots of useless bullshit.

If you've got a really long running feature branch then branching and merging master might make sense because then you've genuinely got two long-running concurrent streams of development and you should probably make the history reflect that. Also manually fixing up a rebase on top of a conflicting change is far more difficult and risky (in the sense that you might lose a shitton of work and not even realize) than just thrashing everything out in a merge commit at the end of it all.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

GameCube posted:

we use bitbucket but it's an older version so it's still called stash and it sucks

after the name change it continues to suck

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the only bad thing i can really think about git from an end user perspective is a terrible CLI with some horrible inconsistencies. the logical interface is fine.

if that is the only bad thing about git we are blessed

javascript on the other hand...

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

git sucks at binary files i guess

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
just spent 2 days refactoring a bunch of code. introduced a some regressions. caught by unit tests I wrote. feels good man.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i like refactoring

it gives me a good feeling

but then i get the sinking feeling that the industry keeps creating these towering edifices of rube goldberg machines that feels constantly under entropy and that im only chipping away at it barely with my refactoring and it's going to crush under its own weight like a black hole into an unmaintainable morass anyways

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Mr Dog posted:

make the history

lol

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

now im constantly getting this error:
code:
System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Web.Internal.Contracts.IVsAzureADService'
cool

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

now the source control on my project is unrecognized
gently caress

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
thanks, everyone who replied

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

~Coxy posted:

pretty much just echoing mr dog and fart simpson at this point but: it is fine. git can't stop you from eventually hitting merge conflicts as soon as two or more developers are involved, and better to solve them in your own feature branch instead of potentially hosing master.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

C# code:
protected void AjaxManager_AjaxRequest(object sender, AjaxRequestEventArgs e) {
			string[] args = e.Argument.Split('|');
			try {
				switch (args[0]) {
				}
			}
			catch (Exception ex) {
				string err = string.Format("<b><big>Error in {0}!</big></b><br />{1}",
					args[0], ex.Message.Replace("'", "").Replace("\r\n", "<br />"));
				AjaxError.Value = err;
			}
		}

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I found descent's source code online and it looks like I'm doing things sorta right go me

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Making and reconciling development histories is the entire purpose of Git and tools like it. It stands to reason that you want this history to be constructed in a manner that maximizes its utility for merging or retrospection, and like any tool that depends on your competence using it (as well as how well the tool's design lends itself to being used competently, which is admittedly an area where Git leaves something to be desired).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

I found descent's source code online and it looks like I'm doing things sorta right go me

at least the old school way before graphics cards had hardware to do everything

(this is a good thing)

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

is there a way i can quickly see all the global variables declared in a javascript?

this latest upgrade made them all not work anymore and i don't want to visually scan every single loving file in my entire solution for globals so i can take them out

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
run the statement "window" in the browser console.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

fart simpson posted:

actually, that's extremely bike shedding

we are still shedding, but on a higher level and about more important bikes

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Strumpy posted:

just spent 2 days refactoring a bunch of code. introduced a some regressions. caught by unit tests I wrote. feels good man.

You did refactoring correctly

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

so in visual studio with the entity designer, is there any difference between

and just creating a direct many to many mapping?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

hobbesmaster posted:

at least the old school way before graphics cards had hardware to do everything

(this is a good thing)

i'm studying old games

turns out mechwarrior 2's object models were just broken down into individual pieces that were attached to each other which allowed the fancy explosions and limbs being blown off and stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

BiohazrD posted:

so in visual studio with the entity designer, is there any difference between

and just creating a direct many to many mapping?

2nd normal form?

• Locked thread