Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Scruff McGruff posted:

Krebs has an article up already with some more details
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/05/u-k-hospitals-hit-in-widespread-ransomware-attack/

Apparently the infection got in through a windows vulnerability that got patched a couple months ago. Stay up to date people.

I didn't see it mentioned in there but I'm seeing elsewhere that the flaw being exploited was one that was in the NSA hacking tools dump, but yeah, it's already been patched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
My coworkers are freaking out because they claim that "connecting to any public wifi network" will get you infected

Obvious hyperbole aside, I wonder if this is also targeting consumer devices, or only enterprise ones? The article does mention that the ransomware seeks out other devices on the local network so uhh idk

I just wanna go home and make sure that my PC is up to date...

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

KingSlime posted:

My coworkers are freaking out because they claim that "connecting to any public wifi network" will get you infected

Obvious hyperbole aside, I wonder if this is also targeting consumer devices, or only enterprise ones? The article does mention that the ransomware seeks out other devices on the local network so uhh idk

I just wanna go home and make sure that my PC is up to date...

Just back up anything important, whether to an actual backup service or just tossing it on a drive that you then put somewhere. Then if you do get hit with encryption ransomware you flatten and reinstall.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Slime posted:

Just back up anything important, whether to an actual backup service or just tossing it on a drive that you then put somewhere. Then if you do get hit with encryption ransomware you flatten and reinstall.

But also keep up to date...

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
The German Embassy in the United States is most certainly not commenting on any current political events.

https://twitter.com/GermanyinUSA/status/863130108944670720

Edit: hey, stop pointing at me, Nelson.

Mister Mind has a new favorite as of 22:27 on May 12, 2017

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Slime posted:

No, "just" backing up will not save you.

Most people thinks that backing up to a live USB disk or storing things in the Apple cloud will protect them. These will be automatically defeated by standard ransomware (the backups will be encrypted as well). More advanced ransomware will even destroy simple cloud backup solutions.

A disconnected disk will work, but what's the chance you backed up 1) recently and 2) didn't connect the disk after getting infected?

A proper backup which keeps multiple versions and doesn't allow you to delete older versions will also work. Currently, Dropbox will actually save you (it keeps a 30 days history you cannot just get rid of), but if people become aware of that, I'm sure ransomware will work around this.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Also the amount of people complaining or trying to disable auto updates... take heed

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Avenging_Mikon posted:

There's a difference between the data being compromised (viewed by 3rd parties) and getting cryptolockered. So no, there's not necessarily evidence.

If the program has access to encrypt all the data, it has access to view all the data.

We don’t know that the criminals were specifically interested in the personal health information data, but they absolutely are capable of reading/publishing it.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

djssniper posted:

Also the amount of people complaining or trying to disable auto updates... take heed

No kidding though....everyone seems to know what's best when it comes to Windows and circumventing its annoying habits but this incident is a refreshing reminder that no, you absolutely do not know better (unless you're a trained professional in a relevant area, no I don't consider general IT to fall under this umbrella).

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I know better than to let windows restart while I have a video paused overnight or I'm downloading something. There are lots of reasons why windows auto restarting for updates was a terrible idea.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Platystemon posted:

If the program has access to encrypt all the data, it has access to view all the data.

We don’t know that the criminals were specifically interested in the personal health information data, but they absolutely are capable of reading/publishing it.

Only if it was capable of transmitting data. I've seen more systems with better exfiltration protection than infiltration. Cryptolockers are scripts, after all, not monitored programs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Only if it was capable of transmitting data. I've seen more systems with better exfiltration protection than infiltration. Cryptolockers are scripts, after all, not monitored programs.

Okay, that’s possible.

But I still contend that the fact that the malware is on the system is pretty decent evidence that the data is compromised.

Maybe they got lucky, but don’t count on it.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

KingSlime posted:

No kidding though....everyone seems to know what's best when it comes to Windows and circumventing its annoying habits but this incident is a refreshing reminder that no, you absolutely do not know better (unless you're a trained professional in a relevant area, no I don't consider general IT to fall under this umbrella).

gently caress that, I know that when I shut down my PC to lock it in my drawer and go home at 17:30, I absolutely do not want Windows saying "hurrr now I'm going to spend 20 minutes patching! Don't turn off your PC and be sure to like and subscribe!", nor removing the ability for me (even by using shutdown /s /f /t 0) to cleanly shut down this time and do the updates next time.

My laptop will be powered off and locked in a cabinet until Monday. No one's going to hack my gibson before I get back to work after the weekend, Microsoft. Pop up a notification during the day and give me the option to run the updates during the afternoon while I go get a coffee or something, but this force-update-on-shutdown poo poo is ridiculous.

(yes I know that properly-configured GPOs would fix that but that's not my department)

I absolutely know better about when I need my PC and when I don't need my PC, so MS can go eat all of the dicks on this one.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

It's a party crasher! :haw:

Meanwhile: Do not roar at tigers... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5CfFXHpHfY&t=18s

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Weatherman posted:

gently caress that, I know that when I shut down my PC to lock it in my drawer and go home at 17:30, I absolutely do not want Windows saying "hurrr now I'm going to spend 20 minutes patching! Don't turn off your PC and be sure to like and subscribe!", nor removing the ability for me (even by using shutdown /s /f /t 0) to cleanly shut down this time and do the updates next time.

My laptop will be powered off and locked in a cabinet until Monday. No one's going to hack my gibson before I get back to work after the weekend, Microsoft. Pop up a notification during the day and give me the option to run the updates during the afternoon while I go get a coffee or something, but this force-update-on-shutdown poo poo is ridiculous.

(yes I know that properly-configured GPOs would fix that but that's not my department)

I absolutely know better about when I need my PC and when I don't need my PC, so MS can go eat all of the dicks on this one.

It'll shut down when it's done, why can't you just lock it in your drawer while it's updating and leave?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RyokoTK posted:

It'll shut down when it's done, why can't you just lock it in your drawer while it's updating and leave?

Power/air flow/network access?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My drawers are wired for internet. :getin:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RyokoTK posted:

Because many people shut off the power when they leave, cause often it's not just powering your pc?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

so this is what Spicer was doing during his break this week.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Lil Bow Wow was caught lying about taking a private plane. The Internet heard about this and responded:

http://www.boredpanda.com/rapper-bow-wow-challenge/

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I have so many unanswered questions about this.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Like how on earth do you stop action like that in firelight? What was he shooting, ISO 9000?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

A man cosplaying a gender swapped Robin mountain bikes into a fire pit at a party. What's so strange about any of it?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Honestly sounds like something my friends would do.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

They can 'read' the data off the drive, but if the admins are competent then it was stored encrypted. It's not viewable.
Also, while the trojan got inside the network it doesn't necessarily follow that it was able to open a channel to download the data to the outside.

Nighthand posted:

Also some of the older crypto-variants you can't even pay the ransom because the process got shut down. If you're ever hit by crypto and don't have backups, better hope it's a newer still-alive variant!

You can still pay the ransom!
(You just won't receive a key.)

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Data Graham posted:

Like how on earth do you stop action like that in firelight? What was he shooting, ISO 9000?

With a flash.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Avenging_Mikon posted:

A lot of places don't see IT infrastructure as anything but a black hole you put money in and get nothing out, so they minimize that expenditure.

When everything works:

"what do we even pay you for?"

When nothing works:

"what do we even pay you for?"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

No, that doesn't follow. The data could be in encrypted files. The ransomware double-encrypts them, making them inaccessible, but it doesn't need to be able to decrypt the files or view their contents to do that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Modern digital SLRs go up to ISO 100,000+ and also flash units are things that exist.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Data Graham posted:

There’s a flash coming from the top of the camera. Look at the shadows of his arm and hand.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://giant.gfycat.com/EnviousMagnificentAtlasmoth.webm

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Holy gently caress that is big.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Teddybear posted:

I remember reading one where you had to score a certain amount of points in a loving Touhou shooter to unlock your files.

He had done it as a joke and when it ended up released because he hosed up, he apologized and pretty quickly released a bypass for it (basically it tricked his own program that you had scored the threshold value in whatever weird game it was).

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/04/do-you-want-to-play-a-game-ransomware-asks-for-high-score-instead-of-money/

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

LOL phone posters are gonna crash.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Don't gently caress with Sean Spicer.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
gently caress it, just apply update, back your poo poo up and stop putting important poo poo on your computer.

And if 5 loving minutes of updates is enough to ruin your night, get a loving grip, and put on your big boy and girl pants, and do your loving job. Jesus, just watch a YouTube video or something holy poo poo.

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 10:39 on May 13, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Using up‐to‐date software is the most important thing.

Your machine isn’t valuable enough to be at risk of a targeted attack, but if there’s a known hole, it’s only a matter of time because something enters through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
my car has a warning light telling me to check the engine, so i started parking it by slamming it into walls. idiot hellbox trying to tell me how to live my life, gently caress that noise