Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

dissss posted:

Apple does a lot of things well but there are some basic flaws in iOS which make it very difficult to switch to from Android (at least it has been for me).

I'm actually finding it really difficult to recommend a device to my mum at the moment - the newer Moto models are unavailable locally, the SE is too small and the proper iPhone is too expensive (besides she's been an Android user for years so any change is going to be an issue)

Buy an iphone 6 or 6S for $200-350 unless you want to play tech support every month for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

cage-free egghead posted:

Buy an iphone 6 or 6S for $200-350 unless you want to play tech support every month for her.

Even used they cost a lot more than that here and of course won't come with any sort of warranty (and will probably have a toasted battery too)

As I mentioned she is already used to Android (on a 2nd gen Moto G) and it isn't like iOS doesn't have its own learning curve.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
http://pocketnow.com/2017/07/03/oneplus-5-upside-down-audio

Turns out it was us holding the phone the wrong way around the whole time.

e: fixed link

Ragingsheep fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 5, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tech sites are saying the Moto X4 is coming in 4th quarter possibly in time for black friday. Well that's disappointing. I want a phone now.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Ragingsheep posted:

http://pocketnow.com/2017/07/03/oneplus-5-upside-down-audioe

This is actually kind of impressive

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Ragingsheep posted:

How did they manage to only get it wrong in a small number of devices? That seems like it would be something that's present in all of them or none of them, unless they caught the mistake mid-production and just sent out the bad ones anyway...

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Blue Train posted:

This is actually kind of impressive

People should keep buying One Plus phones because seeing the new ways they gently caress up each generation is entertaining.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Blue Train posted:

Lol. Yea the moto e is fine

No its not. Samsung is better than moto anything.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

grimcreaper posted:

No its not. Samsung is better than moto anything.

lmao

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This gimmick is boring.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Wacky Delly posted:

People should keep buying One Plus phones because seeing the new ways they gently caress up each generation is entertaining.

I'm honestly wondering what it would take for people to stop buying OPO phones. A system app that steals your credit card info? The phone publicly listing all of your account and password details for every website you log in to? Having it spray boiling acid at your face every time you answer a call?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I like my oneplus5 :(

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Ragingsheep posted:

What did this article say? I got a 404 from the URL and the site doesn't work well on Firefox mobile.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hooah posted:

What did this article say? I got a 404 from the URL and the site doesn't work well on Firefox mobile.

Trim the extra e off the end

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lmao at how loving good the pixel camera is

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
:drat:

That's a hell of a shot

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pixel is def the best smartphone camera I've ever used, S7/iPhone 7 are tied for second for sure.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
My Play Music trial ended and now I can't use Play Music to play my own music. Every screen within the app, home, recent, music library, all of them, are just the Subscribe to Play Music screen with buttons to subscribe and learn more. How the gently caress do I get rid of this to play my own music again?

Edit: Nevermind, I found the problem. Play Music took it upon itself to purge my Music folder without discretion when my subscription was up. That screen is there because i literally don't have any music on my phone anymore.

ArcticZombie fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jul 5, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ArcticZombie posted:

My Play Music trial ended and now I can't use Play Music to play my own music. Every screen within the app, home, recent, music library, all of them, are just the Subscribe to Play Music screen with buttons to subscribe and learn more. How the gently caress do I get rid of this to play my own music again?

Edit: Nevermind, I found the problem. Play Music took it upon itself to purge my Music folder without discretion when my subscription was up. That screen is there because i literally don't have any music on my phone anymore.

Are you talking about pinned uploaded music or local files? I would expect it to unpin things but not erase uploaded music from your library.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
Local files, my own MP3s of songs, not even uploaded to Play Music.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

That's strange. Music I uploaded is still playable despite me not having a subscription ever since I switched to Spotify.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

That's strange. Music I uploaded is still playable despite me not having a subscription ever since I switched to Spotify.

Yes, music you upload is free to play. The Music Key or whatever they're calling it gives access to the whole catalog.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

ArcticZombie posted:

Google'd.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

ArcticZombie posted:

I have let my play music sub lapse multiple times and I have locally pinned music that is my full owned library as well. I have never experienced this behavior.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I think I like this one better because it gets a little of that crepuscular poo poo in the smoke and does a good job of bringing out the texture in the driveway pavement without loving up the same kind of detail in other surfaces with different levels of lighting. Like the porch railings in the background to the right.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
So the wife and I are both getting a Pixel XL. What's the best TPU style case for this thing? Looking around it looks like Cimo, Spigen, and Diztronic are mentioned but it's tough to tell what is the best option. I have a diztronic case on my Moto G4 right now that's fine but if there's an option that's pretty much the same thing but smaller and lighter I'd go for it in a heartbeat.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
What's the general opinion of the Huawei P10 Plus? Bearing in mind that my mobile operator doesn't offer the Pixel or One Plus Five, and my other options are the Xperia XZ Premium or a Galaxy S8 (or plus), and I don't particularly want to change carrier.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CFox posted:

So the wife and I are both getting a Pixel XL. What's the best TPU style case for this thing? Looking around it looks like Cimo, Spigen, and Diztronic are mentioned but it's tough to tell what is the best option. I have a diztronic case on my Moto G4 right now that's fine but if there's an option that's pretty much the same thing but smaller and lighter I'd go for it in a heartbeat.

Caseology makes a real nice case called Parallax but I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Cultural Marxist posted:

What's the general opinion of the Huawei P10 Plus? Bearing in mind that my mobile operator doesn't offer the Pixel or One Plus Five, and my other options are the Xperia XZ Premium or a Galaxy S8 (or plus), and I don't particularly want to change carrier.

What carrier? They dont have to offer a pixel or oneplus 5 to use them.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Don Lapre posted:

What carrier? They dont have to offer a pixel or oneplus 5 to use them.

Ah good point, I meant that I'd be getting an upgrade as I came to the end of my contract, so I'd choose from the phones they carry because I'd get a discount.

The carrier is Three, in the UK.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lol my mother is getting a pixel now because she saw Dr. FAUXTON'S cat pictures with hers, and has always been less than ecstatic with the MXP I gave her when I got my Pixel because of the size, weight, and the bamboo back.

She's getting a free Google Home with it so I'm a little jealous and Dr. FAUXTON is pissed because she got hers like 3 weeks ago and could have waited had she known that promo was coming up.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ragingsheep posted:

Check for a goatee, it might be from the mirror universe. :newlol:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

RIP Nexus 4 that slipped out of my hands and fell face-down onto the pavement. You were a good phone for 2.5 years and pretty lovely and annoyingly resilient for nearly another 2 after that.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Ragingsheep posted:

I mean in Asia they read text right-to-left, why not sound too?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

eXXon posted:

RIP Nexus 4 that slipped out of my hands and fell face-down onto the pavement. You were a good phone for 2.5 years and pretty lovely and annoyingly resilient for nearly another 2 after that.
Well if you want another, I never got around to selling my old one. Or a Nexus 5. Or a Samsung Galaxy Nexus (sprint only)

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

eXXon posted:

Man, a nexus 4 with modern guts would be awesome. Still my favorite phone I think. Either that or my old blackberry pearl.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A modern Droid Pro would be neat

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

PerrineClostermann posted:

A modern Droid Pro would be neat

There is one, it's called the Blackberry Keyone. I mean it is Blackberry but it translates the form factor well from a 7 year old phone.

Also, how are people liking their Moto X Play? I'm on the fence about getting one and the X2 looks a bit underwhelming.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

eXXon posted:

Yeah the Nexus 4 was a great phone. I kept mine for 4 years then upgraded to the 6p. RIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The glass back sucked. Why the gently caress do companies make slippery phones. I don't want to use a case.