Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

I think prequel hate is like that guy in high school who you loving hated over some stupid thing. Neither of you can remember what started it, maybe one of you pushed in line, maybe you're too similar, who knows? But you're at each other's throats all the time. Now, in you late 20s or so, you run into the guy. You chat for a few minutes, you have a beer, and you wonder what all the fuss was about. You wonder how you got so invested in hating something. That's pretty much prequel hate. It was some dude you hated, and you didn't know why, and now you can't remember.

Except for Allen, you were totally right about that guy, he's a oval office.

It's because the films were terrible, made the original films worse, and after fighting through contemporary delusion and denial it eventually became accepted that this was the case, until recently when a small percentage of the less intelligent four year olds who watched them grew up got older and decided brand loyalty was more important than quality, and are now defending the films in the manner a schizophrenic defends a collection of stolen hair. That's why. How many of y'all like sex?? *crowd hollering*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
it should have been predicted how easily capitalism has wholly absorbed fanboys. they are, after all, people with severe partisan loyalty towards brands and intellectual property they do not own, whose identity derives from consumption and purchase of mass-produced products. couple that with marketing's embrace of "positivity" as an abstract and you've got a base of consumers who not only feel obligated to buy your product, but more, to like it, and more than that, to denounce criticism of it. and not just in star wars; console warriors, DC fanboys, people who really care what kind of phone you have, and Gamerz all fit this mold. it's really unbelievably sad and it would be sadder if they weren't so generally unpleasant.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
But what about the Star Wars films?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are these greatest hits reposts or new posts?

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

sassassin posted:

But what about the Star Wars films?

it depends if you include the clone wars film. if so then on average they are Bad

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

euphronius posted:

Are these greatest hits reposts or new posts?

Begun, the cloneposts have

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

John Cena says he likes all Star Wars films.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The MSJ posted:

John Cena says he likes all Star Wars films.

If The Rock said that, maybe you'd have something. Let me know when The Rock weighs on Star Wars.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I've seen the force awakens about 10 times this week since I've been home with my sick son.

The only question I have is how Rey knew darth vaders name.

Also the movie is very well made.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

The only question I have is how Rey knew darth vaders name.

Kinda in that vein, I'd really like to have some idea of what the average person thinks happened to the Emperor and why the second Death Star exploded. Is it common knowledge what happened there? Does the general public think it was just a stroke of luck that the station had a catastrophic accident while the Emperor was on board? Was the Rebellion open about its role in all that and was Luke's role widely known? We know people like Luke, Leia and Han are legends but that's about it, their reputation could have been built up more from events that happened after the death of the Emperor.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
"There was a second death star? Pull the other one."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
We're actually only seeing the made-for-Hollywood version of what really happened in Republic space a long long time ago, in a galaxy far far away. Prime Minster Palpatine died of injuries sustained when his staff speeder was strafed by X-Wing fire. Luke Skywalker was in officer training with a Rebel Alliance unit on Dantooine at the time.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 12, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Do you think there is a bustling market for Clone Wars Holocron sets using real archival footage for dads across the galaxy?

I bet there were tons of complaints of human-washing when filming these movies.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Tezzora posted:

it depends if you include the clone wars film. if so then on average they are Bad

You don't like star wars? Why not, they are tons of fun

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Basebf555 posted:

Kinda in that vein, I'd really like to have some idea of what the average person thinks happened to the Emperor and why the second Death Star exploded. Is it common knowledge what happened there? Does the general public think it was just a stroke of luck that the station had a catastrophic accident while the Emperor was on board? Was the Rebellion open about its role in all that and was Luke's role widely known? We know people like Luke, Leia and Han are legends but that's about it, their reputation could have been built up more from events that happened after the death of the Emperor.

I'd think Darth Vader would be legendarily infamous in the galaxy. I got the impression in Rogue One that he's reclusive but by the time the OT starts happening, but from Rogue One on you sure as hell know who Darth Vader is because he's just steamrolling through everything and everyone looking for Luke and seems like an actually on the front lines guy. That gap between him being really active starting with Rogue One also creates a big enough gap so that not everyone in the galaxy is like "Oh poo poo Anakin's back in some black armor."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

I'd think Darth Vader would be legendarily infamous in the galaxy. I got the impression in Rogue One that he's reclusive but by the time the OT starts happening, but from Rogue One on you sure as hell know who Darth Vader is because he's just steamrolling through everything and everyone looking for Luke and seems like an actually on the front lines guy. That gap between him being really active starting with Rogue One also creates a big enough gap so that not everyone in the galaxy is like "Oh poo poo Anakin's back in some black armor."

That's not really what I'm asking though. Sure, Vader is famous by the time of the OT, but how many people know what actually went down in that throne room? Do people know he killed the Emperor? Do they even know that Luke Skywalker was there?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's just conveyed to the audience that Darth Vader enjoys a special relationship with the Emperor and is his personal hatchetman. Tarkin outranks him, but the Joint Chiefs are afraid of him.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Oh yeah just going by the movies I got the impression that people know that Luke is one of the rebellion's greatest heroes and could use the force but not much else. There's news in the setting and so on so I'm sure anyone interested knows the general swath of where everyone was whenever the major battles went down i.e., Han Solo+Leia+Luke+Chewie lead a brave small vanguard before the final assault on the Death Star but not much beyond that other than that it obviously succeeded.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

Oh yeah just going by the movies I got the impression that people know that Luke is one of the rebellion's greatest heroes and could use the force but not much else. There's news in the setting and so on so I'm sure anyone interested knows the general swath of where everyone was whenever the major battles went down i.e., Han Solo+Leia+Luke+Chewie lead a brave small vanguard before the final assault on the Death Star but not much beyond that other than that it obviously succeeded.

That's kinda what I was thinking, there's no reason to believe from what we see in TFA that anyone knows the specifics of what happened.

It's just so easy to fall back on assumptions that are based on the old EU stuff, which I grew up with and kinda became ingrained in my head as the way things went(I had no idea what "canon" meant back then). In the EU Han ended up joining the military officially as a general for instance, so when I watch TFA I have to remind myself that this version of the character basically did the direct opposite of that. Same goes for Leia, in the EU she was the New Republic's most important figurehead and diplomat, she wasn't spending time in dingy rebel bases organizing suicide missions anymore.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Han Solo+Leia+Luke+Chewie lead a brave small vanguard before the final assault on the Death Star but not much beyond that other than that it obviously succeeded.

mmmm LANDO???? You remembered the wookie but not Lando?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

euphronius posted:

mmmm LANDO???? You remembered the wookie but not Lando?

Force Awakens forgot Lando but remembered Chewie.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

11th time watching TFA this week, brain melting .

Blue good , red bad. Diagonal light and objects against the sky

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Are you sure your sick son didn't put on The Neon Demon?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSf2GYzB7-g

Oh poo poo, guys! Star Wars Explained put out a Canon-only version of All AT Walker Types & Variants! Updated with new "Canon" walkers from the mobile game, Star Wars Commander! I loving love canon!

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 12, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have finally accepted that the star killer bases laser would be visible across the galaxy and travel at super luminal speeds while still being visible .

I get it .

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

There's seven other movies ya'll could watch.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

euphronius posted:

I have finally accepted that the star killer bases laser would be visible across the galaxy and travel at super luminal speeds while still being visible .

I get it .

It's a weird one, to be honest, because the audience perspective shots make sense - sure, it doesn't work like that, but it's communicating an idea, so you can let it slide.

Why do the shots from Takodana have the lasers? Doesn't that kinda muddy the impact of Finn and Leia being able to feel 'afive million voices cries out in terror and be silenced'?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!
Supposedly, in the EU, Leia's career in the Senate is damaged when opponents reveal that Darth Vader was her father.

And no one thinks to point out that Luke Skywalker is her brother, I guess?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Hodgepodge posted:

Supposedly, in the EU, Leia's career in the Senate is damaged when opponents reveal that Darth Vader was her father.

And no one thinks to point out that Luke Skywalker is her brother, I guess?

No actually in that stupid book everyone knows that Luke is Leia's brother, so when the truth comes out about Leia, everyone else becomes instantly suspicious of Luke and his disappearance. It's dumb and stupid.

edit: Also it doesn't really damage her career so much as force her out of the senate entirely which provides the push she needs to keep investigating the First Order with her band of resistance fighters.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

euphronius posted:

11th time watching TFA this week, brain melting .

Blue good , red bad. Diagonal light and objects against the sky

11 times, drat :stare:

I legit can't stand watching the Phantom Menace anymore is because I watched that movie 8 times as a kid. That drat movie is burned into my brain

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I saw TFA 7 times during its theatrical run

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Black Bones posted:

You don't like star wars? Why not, they are tons of fun

They're generally bad. Most fandoms don't feel obligated to affirm the crap.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Movies about spaceships going woosh and people with laser swords fighting are generally cool. It's possible to screw this thing up to the point where not even those pleasures come across (Wing Commander, lookin' at you), but the Star Wars movies are all pretty good at it.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

PenguinKnight posted:

I legit can't stand watching the Phantom Menace anymore is because I watched that movie 8 times as a kid. That drat movie is burned into my brain
It's weird, I've watched the original six so many times I'm not sure I'm even reacting to them anymore, so much as just reliving how I've felt watching them before. But recently I've been introducing them to a friend who hadn't seen any Star Wars; we just watched TPM, and having that perspective around and seeing it through her eyes was almost like watching it for the first time. There's a lot of little moments that I'd just forgotten how exciting they actually were. It's one of the reasons I love Rogue One so much; it takes one of the most well-trodden periods of the saga and makes it feel fresh.

Also she loved TPM, ranks it second behind R1, and loved Jar Jar and Anakin in particular. You know, if we want more data points on whether anyone likes the prequels. :v:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

PenguinKnight posted:

12 now. Harrison ford has amazing delivery of lines.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Tezzora posted:

They're generally bad. Most fandoms don't feel obligated to affirm the crap.

Most people don't go in to threads for movies they don't like.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I read a rumour that e9 will mention Earth as a place to hide the Jedi. God ugh no.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

euphronius posted:

12 now. Harrison ford has amazing delivery of lines.

Once our society breaks inevitably down within the next few years, we will go to you for renditions of The Force Awakens, like how we would go to the village elders for tales of our forefathers.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

UmOk posted:

Most people don't go in to threads for movies they don't like.

It will be like Battlestar Galactica '80 like everything we've seen and know so far is from the first ten minutes and the entire rest of the movie is them bumbling around earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Here's a really good video that goes into the various ways George Lucas truly does know his stuff, in many ways far better than many of the most successful blockbuster filmmakers working today, using the podrace as a study:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz7xgfawz44

I think I've mentioned a few things along these lines before as reasons why pretty much all the action sequences in the new Star Wars films tend to leave me feeling bored and checking my watch. They all tend to lack the sense of clear, overriding purpose and carefully modulated escalation that Lucas's (and Spielberg's, and Cameron's) action sequences always exhibit. Rogue One's action sequences in particular suffer from being too samey all throughout, there being a clear lack of emotional calculation involved in the sequences' construction and progression--at least in comparison to the older films. The newer films really do seem to not even think about this sort of thing, and just assume that it's as simple as just animating a bunch of X-wings and TIE fighters whirling through the air shooting lasers and doing cool maneuvers. They really are like Marvel films in that regard. ILM does all the heavy lifting while the directors rest on their laurels, and the result is just a bunch of pretty CGI debris flying haphazardly across the screen.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 13, 2017

• Locked thread