Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

JahRoo posted:

There a break this week?

We do in fact live in a universe devoid of divine love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
im rereading on viz and i think the translated sound effects are worth losing color and gaining zolo

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
panels like this feel vastly improved with sound effects to reinforce the correct interpretation of the art

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
also: i wonder if chopper interacted with blackbeard during his raid on drum island

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Lettering is legit one of my favorite aspects of any comic or manga. Translating One Piece sound effects seems like a very hard job.

That clip is awful.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.

scary ghost dog posted:

panels like this feel vastly improved with sound effects to reinforce the correct interpretation of the art

Yup, they add even more entertainment or depth. For example that scene a decent number of chapters back where Zoro got his should ripped through by the scythe and passed out, some people called foul if they isolated that incident. But there's actually a "gurgle" sound effect on the VIZ translation implying something's wrong with his stomach as well when he passes out, and if you look back far enough you'll remember Zoro's been subsisting on poisonous food.

I still laugh that Oda trolled Zoro fans like that. IMMORTAL MARIMO, W-WHAT HAPPENED??

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
then again, “oh come my way” is an unforgivable translation of “okama” both in its unwieldiness and intent......with that and “zolo,” its hard to decide what the definitive version is between official translation and fan translated color scans

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

leaving the word kami untranslated was another really bad decision that made most of the dialogue in skypeia sound like it came from an early unofficial scanlation

still not nearly as bad as "oh come my way" though

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I thought "Oh come my way" was a purposeful pun. The subs use it as a pun in Mr 2's song.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

oh come my way is clever enough imo, it's the least bad option

the kami stuff is kinda silly though yeah. i think they eventually realized that since pre-thriller bark they have zoro outright saying he doesn't believe in god

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I took kami to just be a title, even if it still basically means god.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its definitely more confusing when gan fell is like “i used to be God.... but now Enel is God” than when he says kami

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

its definitely more confusing when gan fell is like “i used to be God.... but now Enel is God” than when he says kami

isn't it supposed to be a bit confusing at first tho

like the whole idea of god being a government position you can assume and step down from is unique to skypeia and is supposed to be part of the culture shock. leaving it as kami robs the english readers of the significance of the title and makes all the dialogue sound awkward

when zoro says he doesn't give a crap about gods, just about every reader will hear that as zoro choosing to tell fate and destiny to gently caress off, something he's always doing. if zoro instead says he doesn't give a crap about kamis, a good chunk of english readers will interpret that as him just saying he doesn't care for the leader of the local government, which may be true but completely misses the themes of the arc

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ya its an interesting distinction

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Nakama

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's definitely a weird example given Enel is a mishmash of both Shinto and Christian ideas of 'God'. (and his attacks are named after various storm deities from around the world)

The whole okama thing is something that's definitely hard to translate and I don't blame the early translators trying to make it a show acceptable to show children in the 00s coming up with something weird. While a lot about the whole okama thing is iffy at best even in retrospect, at least the heart's in the right place given OP has taken a firm position on trans rights.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

"Oh, come my way."
"Nah, come my way."

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm still mad about ponegliff. Not glyph, loving gliff.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

"Oh, come my way."
"Nah, come my way."

What about your okama nakama?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Bon Clay lives and will join the Armada

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm still mad about ponegliff. Not glyph, loving gliff.

this doesnt matter at all because it sounds exactly the same

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Wondering abt what all the pwnglyphs say

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

scary ghost dog posted:

this doesnt matter at all because it sounds exactly the same

It looks incredibly dumb when the word glyph already exists for exactly this type of thing.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It looks incredibly dumb when the word glyph already exists for exactly this type of thing.

so does reverie but that doesn't stop the levely

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Bon Clay lives and will join the Armada

Bon Clay is the Armada

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They can go both ways.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

U-DO Burger posted:

isn't it supposed to be a bit confusing at first tho

like the whole idea of god being a government position you can assume and step down from is unique to skypeia and is supposed to be part of the culture shock. leaving it as kami robs the english readers of the significance of the title and makes all the dialogue sound awkward

when zoro says he doesn't give a crap about gods, just about every reader will hear that as zoro choosing to tell fate and destiny to gently caress off, something he's always doing. if zoro instead says he doesn't give a crap about kamis, a good chunk of english readers will interpret that as him just saying he doesn't care for the leader of the local government, which may be true but completely misses the themes of the arc

I think most English anime viewers are going to know what kami means, because approximately all of them watched Dragonball Z.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think it is supposed to be a confusing culture clash for the Straw Hats because the Skylanders are all aware that 'God' is just a grandiose title equivalent to 'King' in the rest of the world, but given Enel can make a decent case for being all-seeing and all-powerful and has all the abovementioned trappings of divinity the allusions are very obvious.

Zoro's attitude might be intended to evoke Buddhist ideas, which acknowledge that gods and immortals can exist, but they're not that important, and are individuals who can and should seek enlightenment themselves. (As Sun Wukong famously did)

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012
Wano Country trailer for Pirate Warriors 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOpZLftfiJ8

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Horrible Taste posted:

Wano Country trailer for Pirate Warriors 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOpZLftfiJ8

Of course, the big reveal in that trailer is playable Carrot.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i was kinda hoping they'd save wano for DLC if the alternative is another dressrosa in PW3 situation

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I never played the previous PW games, how good/bad were they on nonplayable boss characters because Drake playing entirely as a dinosaur is very good

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

rannum posted:

I never played the previous PW games, how good/bad were they on nonplayable boss characters because Drake playing entirely as a dinosaur is very good

They had quite a lot of unplayable boss characters. Most of the early villains, for a start.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

yeah it's only really the major/recurring antagonists who'll get playable treatment

drake could maaaaaybe be playable but i wouldn't bet money on it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I got pirate.warriors 3 in a steam sale and apparently it's not the PS4/xbone version and it was kind of poo poo

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jose posted:

I got pirate.warriors 3 in a steam sale and apparently it's not the PS4/xbone version and it was kind of poo poo

Well, yes, it was probably the PC version.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Of course, the big reveal in that trailer is playable Carrot.

you and I both know they were a lock.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Jose posted:

the PC got a lazy port that took out some of the graphical settings locking it at like 720p settings iirc the controllers were hosed up till steam had the controller overlay now its super playable.

DanZX
May 5, 2015

So are we getting the previous arcs or just Whole Cake and non-canon Wano?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it'd be weird if it was just those two + zou but it'd also be weird if it retreaded the whole series like 3 did

so I'll take a random guess and say it'll be all the post timeskip stuff. that'd also give them an excuse to save some popular pre timeskip characters for DLC