Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

quote:

The Emoji Movie has grossed $86.1 million in the United States and Canada and $131.7 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $217.8 million, against a production budget of $50 million.

The Emoji Movie was released alongside Atomic Blonde, and was projected to gross around $20 million from 4,075 theaters in its opening weekend. The film made $900,000 from Thursday night previews and $10.1 million on its first day. It went on to debut to $24.5 million, finishing second at the box office behind Dunkirk. It held the record for the worst opening for a film in over 4,000 theaters, until it was surpassed two weeks later by The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature, which had an opening of $8.3 million from 4,003 theaters. In the film's second weekend, it dropped by nearly 50%, grossing $12.4 million and finishing in 3rd (behind The Dark Tower and Dunkirk).

Review embargoes for the film were lifted midday July 27, only a few hours before the film premiered to the general public, in a move considered among one of several tactics studios are using to try to curb bad Rotten Tomatoes ratings. Speaking of the effect embargoing reviews until last minute had on the film's debut, Josh Greenstein, Sony Pictures president of worldwide marketing and distribution, said, "The Emoji Movie was built for people under 18 ... so we wanted to give the movie its best chance. What other wide release with a score under 8 percent has opened north of $20 million? I don't think there is one."

So basically it wasn't a flop in the sense that it technically made more money than its production budget (someone remind me, does production budget also account for marketing/advertisement or is that separate?) but if Sony was hoping that this would somehow blow up into a mega-bazillion dollar franchise that seems vanishingly unlikely to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Kai Tave posted:

(someone remind me, does production budget also account for marketing/advertisement or is that separate?)

It doesn't include the marketing, and you also have to account for the theatres' take (and the difference between global and US box office). The rule of thumb is that you need to make double your production budget as worldwide gross to be successful but there is a huge margin of error on that.

Hollywood accounting is a magical thing though. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is a tale of witches and wizards but the least plausible thing about it is that it lost 167M dollars.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 20, 2018

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It doesn't include the marketing, and you also have to account for the theatres' take (and the difference between global and US box office). The rule of thumb is that you need to make double your production budget as worldwide gross to be successful but there is a huge margin of error on that.

Hollywood accounting is a magical thing though. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is a tale of witches and wizards but the least plausible thing about it is that it lost 167M dollars.

Oh for sure, Hollywood numbers are spurious at the best of times. Unfortunately all we really have to go on is what gets reported so it's kind of a tossup, but the Emoji movie wasn't so bad it killed Sony but I strongly doubt it was enough to win anyone any corner offices either. For perhaps a different form of comparison the Emoji Movie made, worldwide, less than half of what the Lego Movie and Wreck It Ralph did and about a fourth of what Inside Out made. So even taking into account the fact that animated movies will always make some money because of kids, in comparison to other animated movies it still lags behind pretty starkly.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Going down the rabbit hole of links in that article, there's a great story about one of the writers for Coming to America suing a Hollywood studio over their accounting processes.

I believe Sigourney Weaver did something similar in Ghostbusters 2.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

On average it's about 2/3 of the domestic sales go to the studio, but studios can require more. I forget who it was, probably Disney, but there was a story in the news not too long ago that some studio wanted 90% of sales for some big blockbuster for the first few weeks.

International is 25-50% generally but if you distribute your own films internationally that probably gets higher.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Disney demanded a larger cut for screening Coco in Brasil so a lot of theaters just skipped it but I don't think it affected their profits at all

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Retro Futurist posted:

Other way around; they thought it was going to be some billion dollar franchise and they wouldn’t need to play nice with Marvel anymore on the Spider stuff

Yea that's what surprised me, that anyone could think that it would be a massive Shrek like hit, and give Sony gently caress you money.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

twistedmentat posted:

Yea that's what surprised me, that anyone could think that it would be a massive Shrek like hit, and give Sony gently caress you money.

If they understood how this all works and how to make money, they wouldn't be Sony execs.
If they hadn't gotten the Spider-Man license when Marvel was on the edge of bankruptcy it's very likely Sony pictures wouldn't be around today

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

Presumably the plan was to cross-promote with Spider-Man by having the emoji characters interact with Peter whenever he's snapchatting or instagramming or doing EDM or whatever these teen-agers and millenniumals are into these days.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Presumably the plan was to cross-promote with Spider-Man by having the emoji characters interact with Peter whenever he's snapchatting or instagramming or doing EDM or whatever these teen-agers and millenniumals are into these days.

Tough mudding

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The fact that everyone in management at Sony Pictures is compensated in the top 1% of American incomes and somehow continue to remain employed should be enough to kill anyone's belief that we live in a meritocracy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The fact that everyone in management at Sony Pictures is compensated in the top 1% of American incomes and somehow continue to remain employed should be enough to kill anyone's belief that we live in a meritocracy.
This applies to every CEO as far as I can tell

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

This applies to every CEO as far as I can tell

Some CEOs actually get fired or make money, though.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I just listened to the Flop Houses episode about the Emoji movie, and I'm perplexed that at any point Sony though that would save their studio. Its literally Coupon The Movie from Mr Show.

Any interesting tid-bits? I love cinematic car wrecks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/FilmEasterEggs/status/1031034456042164225

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
To me, the most baffling thing about the Emoji Movie is that it says the main character is a "meh" emoji, except... he isn't. Meh is an unofficial name for "unamused face", AKA 😒, and its expression is drastically different from the "meh" emojis in the movie, which are more like "bored face" or something. Notably, bored face isn't an emoji. There isn't even anything close to what the movie's "meh" emojis are. The main character of the emoji movie, a film that is about emojis, stars an emoji that doesn't exist. On top of that, the hacker girl is an emoji that doesn't exist, the happy-faced hand is an emoji that doesn't exist, and the poo emoji is suave/smug instead of joyously happy.

I am one of those weirdos who actually likes following emoji development and it makes me hate the film more.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Shageletic posted:

this is the episode
https://www.flophousepodcast.com/2018/08/episode-264-the-emoji-movie-live/

but basically, Emojis live in a horrible dystopia where they can only been the emotion they represent, and Gene can't do that, so he has to go on the run. He meets a cool hacker lady emoji called jailbreak and they have to escape to the cloud where emojis can be free. Oh and they hide in the loser lounge at one point, and the eggplant emoji is in there. Yea right.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Shageletic posted:

Here's everything you need to know about the Emoji Movie in less than 9 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PffTR8YoyMU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hemsworth GQ profile that makes him seem like a really cool guy, which of course is the point. I don't care it worked on me!

Also even he didn't like Thor 2

quote:

That newfound recognition—that mistakes aren't always fatal and first impressions aren't always final—was useful as Hemsworth helped push the Thor trilogy forward in Thor: Ragnarok. “The first one is good, the second one is meh,” Hemsworth says. “What masculinity was, the classic archetype—it just all starts to feel very familiar. I was so aware that we were right on the edge.”

It's crazy how he went from "eh" to everyone's favorite Avenger in the course of 2 movies.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It shouldn't really come as a surprise that he didn't like the second considering he had every intention of leaving the MCU until Thor Ragnarok.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Sony/status/1031917610206552064

Hyped as hell for the Ned solo film.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

An experimental film, still life on the planet (moon?) Titan.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

We get to follow his ashes as they travel around Titan.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Parker’s ashes are the foundation of new life on Titan. Watch as creation and life flourishes on a barren world. Narrated by David Attenborough and directed by Terrance Malick.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Spider-man bottle episode of Peter and Tony discussing the plots of 80s sci-fi movies while they're on that spaceship going to Titan.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Aunt May strikes a deal with Mephisto to bring Peter back to life.

Spider-Man (with help from Dr strange) swings DOWN INTO HELL TO SAVE HER

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

AngryBooch posted:

Spider-man bottle episode of Peter and Tony discussing the plots of 80s sci-fi movies while they're on that spaceship going to Titan.

Peter throwing a party to give all the time-displaced heroes and possibly Thor a crash course in all the movies they missed.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Kinda sucks that the Spider-Man press will likely spoil the ending of End Game before it comes out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm curious how they'll promote Captain Marvel in Avengers 4. Captain Marvel and Avengers 4 are coming out in roughly the same spots in 2019 as Black Panther and Infinity War did earlier this year; we'd seen a bit of T'Challa and Wakanda in the Infinity War trailers pre-BP, but we'd already met some of the characters and seen some of the concepts in Civil War. Conversely, we've not seen any of Carol yet, so it will be interesting to see how (if at all) she factors into Avengers 4 promotional material before her own movie is out.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Aunt May strikes a deal with Mephisto to bring Peter back to life.

Spider-Man (with help from Dr strange) swings DOWN INTO HELL TO SAVE HER

Yes, she trades Ben for him and it's retroactively the new origin

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm curious how they'll promote Captain Marvel in Avengers 4. Captain Marvel and Avengers 4 are coming out in roughly the same spots in 2019 as Black Panther and Infinity War did earlier this year; we'd seen a bit of T'Challa and Wakanda in the Infinity War trailers pre-BP, but we'd already met some of the characters and seen some of the concepts in Civil War. Conversely, we've not seen any of Carol yet, so it will be interesting to see how (if at all) she factors into Avengers 4 promotional material before her own movie is out.

I'm guessing they'll keep her out of the teasers and drop a full trailer after her movie that includes her. With Spider-Man I imagine it will be hard to obscure whether or not it's a post snap/Resurrection timeline or a timefuckery/it never happened situation.

But who knows, Hulk was in the trailer for Infinity War so maybe they'll continue the trend of red herring trailers.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Is it just me or does it seem odd that there haven't really been any teasers or trailers or anything much at all for Captain Marvel? It's the next big MCU movie, and I think the only one in between now and the next dust-up with Thanos, and all I've seen or heard is a small handful of sneaked set pics from a couple months ago. This movie comes out in less than a year! When are we getting a trailer?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They'll probably stick in front of Mary Poppins 2 or something.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I for one am perfectly fine without ad campaigns revving up a couple months before release instead of over half a year out

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Imagine if they pulled a Metal Gear Solid 2 and all the marketing shows Peter, but then you go to the movie and it turns out it's actually a movie about Miles.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd just be happy for some official shots of Bree Larsen as Carol.

I saw a picture not to long ago of all the women in the MCU and of course Karen Gillan is tallest, but Bree Larsen is pretty tall too. I hope they have them straight up tower over RDJ.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Is it just me or does it seem odd that there haven't really been any teasers or trailers or anything much at all for Captain Marvel? It's the next big MCU movie, and I think the only one in between now and the next dust-up with Thanos, and all I've seen or heard is a small handful of sneaked set pics from a couple months ago. This movie comes out in less than a year! When are we getting a trailer?

Captain Marvel is being retooled as a series for ABC. Set in Florida.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SlimGoodbody posted:

It's the biggest gap between Marvel movies in 3 years.

Ant-Man was released mid-July 2015, and Civil War was May 2016. Civil War had a few convention previews in August & September 2015 but it didn't get a trailer until November.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It's smart to wait. Infinity War just came out on home release. Give that some distance, and get closer to the holidays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Jamesman posted:

Imagine if they pulled a Metal Gear Solid 2 and all the marketing shows Peter, but then you go to the movie and it turns out it's actually a movie about Miles.

Nope it's actually Tony Stark in an Iron Spider suit.

• Locked thread