Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

savinhill posted:

Oh for those blissful days when the Meereneese Knot wasn't yet revealed to be bullshit and there was still hope Grrm could write like an actual professional author once he conquered it

This, essentially. There was always the chance he would get his arse back into gear after Feast/Dance, so simply looking at the maths of the last two books' release dates didn't guarantee that the show would overtake GRRUM.

When it became clear that Dance didn't actually contain the conclusions to most of the originally planned Feast though, yeah......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
He likes to pass it off as the "hardest thing he's ever written" but the Red Wedding was the only real conclusion he ever planned. He may have had a vague idea of where everyone is supposed to ultimately end up from the beginning but it's pretty clear that after he blew his wad at The Twins and there were no more tropes left to subvert he started flailing around with no real idea of how to get to an ending.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

General Bort posted:

For all we know GRRM worked on the first book for ten years and at the same time outlined Clash and Storm.

That's more or less what happened, about 2/3 of the original manuscript he turned in because AGoT and the rest of it became Clash.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Agreed that after Storm he couldn't just ride on subverting tropes anymore. The series thematically becomes something like YA Fiction because it's now all about the younger teenage generation dealing with the messes their rear end in a top hat parents left behind. Maybe instead of a genre writer we should get someone like Suzanne Collins to finish the series

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

visceril posted:

Agreed that after Storm he couldn't just ride on subverting tropes anymore. The series thematically becomes something like YA Fiction because it's now all about the younger teenage generation dealing with the messes their rear end in a top hat parents left behind. Maybe instead of a genre writer we should get someone like Suzanne Collins to finish the series

The only trope he subverted was "guy you hung around with died early on in the series", which puts Ned at the same level as Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

visceril posted:

I loved Animorphs as a kid, and there were a ton of those. Someone get K.A. Applegate on the phone, it even fits all the warging poo poo.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
GRRM will release winds and spring on the same day that their tv counterparts (seasons 6/7) are released on bluray.

calling it now.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Waterstones posted GRRM's original outline of ASOIAF on their twitter, in a move that will almost certainly piss him off.

Some of it is pretty much the same as the finished books, the same end results but different causes and wildly differing character motivations. No spoilers I think? Well at least I hope this isn't a spoiler:

:psyduck:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
As awful as that all sounds at least it has an ending.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
pisssssssssssss

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
The last line makes it sounds like all of that was supposed to happen in the first book except for the bit that's been censored.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Erm, Jon and Arya incest?

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Not before they get it on while warged into Ghost and Nymeria. Beastiality-double-incest :getin:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It's GURM so I imagine they're both supposed to still be well underage for when the sex scene(s) happens.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
so basically tyrion, dany, jon, bran and arya all had plot armor from the very beginning.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also, Jon's moral delima throughout the "trilogy" is apparently "I want to bang my sister soooo hard, but its wrong because she's my sister," and is apparently resolved with "oh wait, she's really my cousin. Well okay then! :mario:"

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The American Tolkien.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TommyGun85 posted:

so basically tyrion, dany, jon, bran and arya all had plot armor from the very beginning.

Not that that was terribly surprising (minus Bran I guess).

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

TommyGun85 posted:

it's not like he was going to kill off every character or pull names from a hat, it's not surprising that there were some he intended to live for a long time

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Wow, I think GURM has a thing for underaged incest.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

GreyPowerVan posted:

Wow, I think GURM has a thing for underaged incest.

Brace yourself for this one then, the sky is blue. :aaaaa:

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Hahah, ha... trilogy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Arbite posted:

Hahah, ha... trilogy.

Its gonna take him a trilogy of books to finish the fourth book.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TommyGun85 posted:

Yeah no loving poo poo if you haven't known that for a couple of books.

I mean Bran might not've but he was always at least gonna last until he had a narrative point.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Feb 5, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Tyrion's plot armor was so goddamn think at times it should've crushed him to death. Arya too.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Tyrion surviving the Blackwater isn't that crazy. Pod sticking to him through the fog of battle and killing Balon Swann was kind of bullshit, yeah.

Tyrion getting smuggled out of the castle makes sense in that Varys wants to create a permanent bad-decision-inducing specter for Cersei. But he could've just killed him instead of letting a variable get loose.

Was Varys counting on Tyrion to help persuade Dany to bring her dragons to Westeros? because I want to say that's retarded, but he did manage to convince Aegon to take immediate action in like an hour.

The only real bullshit moment I got with Arya was the Red Wedding cliffhanger.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
In terms of plot armor, no one comes close to Ramsay Bolton.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

joepinetree posted:

In terms of plot armor, no one comes close to Ramsay Bolton.

The only time he was in legitimate danger was before we knew he was Ramsay.

I mean yeah it seems like Roose would finally just go kill him but kinslaying is seen as pretty important still.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Plot armor is something I get mad about only when a book still has a working plot

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah plot armor implies there is a plot.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

computer parts posted:

I mean yeah it seems like Roose would finally just go kill him but kinslaying is seen as pretty important still.

There is the whole switching places at the literal last minute with reek and being kept alive as a witness (only time in the entire series where there is that concern), then fooling theon and rodrik. And being a literal absolute murderous bastard who gets away with everything.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I dunno, it's easy to say that people who haven't died yet have plot armour.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I'm looking forward to see what HBO does with the ending, I might not even read the books when they come ouhahhaHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH who am I kidding, hey aren't ever coming out.

Is this going to be the first book series that morphs into a television show and never finishes as books because the show is done and the plot is spoiled?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Tyrion's entire survival in the Vale and how he just up and recruits all the bandits/wildmen/whatever was pretty absurd, though Pod being able to stick by him on the Blackwater was dumb as hell and yes he should've died there. Same with getting whisked out of the arena seconds away from being lion chow and so forth.

computer parts posted:

Roose only has Ramsay as an heir for now, so that's probably no small part in it. If he can live long enough to get a son via the Frey he married I imagine the assassination attempts on Ramsay and vice versa will come quickly.

Maybe GURM's ending is going to be Ramsay atop the iron skull throne as the third Targaryen.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the book will come out in 2016/17 for exactly 1 reason: sales. There is no way his publisher is going to miss the cresting wave of the HBO series. They will wrap up whatever he has, and ship it out.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Junkenstein posted:

I dunno, it's easy to say that people who haven't died yet have plot armour.

Not to mention that in Ramsey's case, he could even be dead right now if the letter Jon received was written by Mance. I don't know if the show is supposed to get to the winterfell stuff this season, but it'll be interesting if the show definitively shows Stannis or Ramsey (or Mance) dying this season, or Jon getting resurrected by Melisandre.

Man I'd forgotten that DwD doesn't even bother to resolve the Winterfell battle or the obviously not really dead Jon. It's like if CoKs ended right before the blackwater battle or before revealing the Bran/Rickon fakeout. At least the other books told complete narrative arcs, that's the biggest disappointment with Feast and Dance.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

kcroy posted:

I think the book will come out in 2016/17 for exactly 1 reason: sales. There is no way his publisher is going to miss the cresting wave of the HBO series. They will wrap up whatever he has, and ship it out.

He contracted for a trilogy, does his publisher even have a legal say in the matter anymore?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

visceril posted:

The only real bullshit moment I got with Arya was the Red Wedding cliffhanger.

I've said it before, but having a drunken giant somehow "knock out" a small child, while on horseback, with a battleaxe really suggests that GRUM has no concept of the physical world. See also: wildlings shooting crows off the top of the wall.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kcroy posted:

Hell, it's what they did for Dance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Tyrion's plot armor was so goddamn think at times it should've crushed him to death. Arya too.

I heard Grrm put nipples on Arya's plot armor